The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to (not) balance; A case study with DE

ligonare

12 minutes ago, xMarvin732 said:

Sadly that still would make her the same old boring Warframe since her WoF was the most of the abilities that i used, i really like her new 2nd Ability and the 1st ability to be able to charge

She wouldn't be the only Warframe using other abilities very sparingly, but at least it'd work without feeling like everything you do is stepping on your own toes. Even then, you'd have 2+4 for persistent ability AOE doing more than 'meh' damage thanks to fire proc changes, and 1+2 (with augments) for sheer direct weapon output, leaving only 3 as the ill-used ability it always was.. unless you wanted to use its Volt Shield-esque bonus damage for shooting through it.

Accelerant was a very nice ability, if that had been moved to being her 'heat dump' instead of keeping Fire Blast for the rework it would have been much nicer, IMO.

On 2020-04-08 at 11:56 AM, xMarvin732 said:

Negative Part of the Rework, they removed her World on Fire Speed Run Ability.
Positive Part of the Rework, they made her a viable frame, being able to combine her abilities instead of focussing mostly on WoF.

Yes, but we had dozens of other viable frames, what we didn't have was anyone else able to make low-level missions as fast and effortless as Ember. Some come close, but none can quite match her. I think we lost more than we gained.

Edited by SordidDreams
  • Like 1

While I don't disagree with the points made for the examples given, it seems a bit unfair to ignore all of the times DE has balanced things well. Everything will always be doom and gloom if you ignore all of the positives. For example, Limbo was just "balanced". However this balance pass only made him consistent with other Warframes, left him still powerful in the situation he was previously exploiting, and had no knock-on effects that hindered his performance in the rest of the game.

This is like saying "all drivers suck" after a single person cut you off on the road despite having passed hundreds of cars prior. You can't just ignore the good and blanket everything as bad.

It is easy to say "hey look, DE did a bad, they suck at balance." But that is unfair to all of the times DE has properly balanced in the past, as well as ignores how they often respond after they poorly balance something.

This case study is not really reflective on DE as a whole, IMO, but... I do have my gripes. For example:

Remember when they added the beam weapon changes, and the beam weapons were stronger?

And the convectrix got a sweeping left-to-right laser crowd control alt-fire?

And then people started using the Amprex a lot because it was extremely strong and could melt crowds?

And then DE nerfed ALL beam weapons with a ramp-up on single target damage mechanic because of just the Amprex? And then called it a "fix", like it was a bug?

Except, it wasn't a bug. The alt-fire for convectrix proved it, as it was mechanically meant to not be on a single target. And people called DE out on it, and they never admitted to or apologized for it?

They did adjust Convectrix later, but it infuriates me that they made one weapon too powerful, got scared, nerfed the whole type of the weapon as a result, and referred to it like the buff was a bug, despite it CLEARLY not being so.

I love DE, but they need to stop handling their mistakes like this.

Just now, DrBorris said:

While I don't disagree with the points made for the examples given, it seems a bit unfair to ignore all of the times DE has balanced things well. Everything will always be doom and gloom if you ignore all of the positives. For example, Limbo was just "balanced". However this balance pass only made him consistent with other Warframes, left him still powerful in the situation he was previously exploiting, and had no knock-on effects that hindered his performance in the rest of the game.

This is like saying "all drivers suck" after a single person cut you off on the road despite having passed hundreds of cars prior. You can't just ignore the good and blanket everything as bad.

It is easy to say "hey look, DE did a bad, they suck at balance." But that is unfair to all of the times DE has properly balanced in the past, as well as ignores how they often respond after they poorly balance something.

I mean... I agree that DE has done much more good then bad. However, that isn't quite relevant to the topic of this discussion. If we are here to speak on their mistakes, then what they have done right in the past should cast no bearing on this topic, and vice-versa. Just because they have made balancing mistakes does not mean that they have done no good. But this thread, I thought, was to discuss the negative aspects of their past balances because it's somewhat relevant to the current ongoing event.

You're right, though.

Edited by Snydrex
  • Like 2