Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grendel missions are tedious and frustration inducers more than anything else.

VieuxPappy

9 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

You should ask on the forums 👍.@VieuxPappy is a success story where they asked for help and got it. Perhaps they’d be willing to help you down the line 🤔

Oh I'm not looking for help with it. I just refuse to do it out of principles partly because of the lazy design that just strips you from the hundreds or thousands of hours of progress you've invested to make the game fun, and partly because it S#&$s on solo-players (whether by choice or not). If the statistics show enough people don't get Grendel then maybe they will do something about it (probably not).

This mindset of DE to force players to work together when a lot of them can't or don't want to is doing more harm than good, which you can clearly see in the current state of Railjack and the squad-link mechanics of Scarlet Spear for example. Railjacks are not very solo-friendly, and even if you get it well equipped to manage the harder content by yourself it's very awkward and tedious to run around to different stations and roles that are obviously designed to be managed by a team. In Scarlet Spear you can't even shoot as a solo-pilot when transporting the satellite, so your only option is to just boost away from enemies (the actual gameplay).

The "Command" intrinsic-tree is supposed to be the key to solo-players so that we can have AI-crew, but which is still not available nor even talked about by DE while still adding more and more Railjack-dependent content. 

Squad-link makes the game even more dependent on active players than the Grendel missions, which you can already see is catastrophic in Scarlet Spear when there are none or not enough, like during night-time in your region. This is essentially killing the solo-player experience. 

This turned more into a rant than I intended, lol. Either way Grendel as a warframe doesn't interest me at all anyway, just MR fodder. But it's kind of frustrating to see it being more or less the only warframe I don't have in my arsenal.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SirTobe said:

Oh I'm not looking for help with it. I just refuse to do it out of principles partly because of the lazy design that just strips you from the hundreds or thousands of hours of progress you've invested to make the game fun, and partly because it S#&$s on solo-players (whether by choice or not). If the statistics show enough people don't get Grendel then maybe they will do something about it (probably not).

This mindset of DE to force players to work together when a lot of them can't or don't want to is doing more harm than good, which you can clearly see in the current state of Railjack and the squad-link mechanics of Scarlet Spear for example. Railjacks are not very solo-friendly, and even if you get it well equipped to manage the harder content by yourself it's very awkward and tedious to run around to different stations and roles that are obviously designed to be managed by a team. In Scarlet Spear you can't even shoot as a solo-pilot when transporting the satellite, so your only option is to just boost away from enemies (the actual gameplay).

The "Command" intrinsic-tree is supposed to be the key to solo-players so that we can have AI-crew, but which is still not available nor even talked about by DE while still adding more and more Railjack-dependent content. 

Squad-link makes the game even more dependent on active players than the Grendel missions, which you can already see is catastrophic in Scarlet Spear when there are none or not enough, like during night-time in your region. This is essentially killing the solo-player experience. 

This turned more into a rant than I intended, lol. Either way Grendel as a warframe doesn't interest me at all anyway, just MR fodder. But it's kind of frustrating to see it being more or less the only warframe I don't have in my arsenal.

Totally feel you. And imagine for players that, like me, stop playing and then come back, stop playing then come back, etc. If they happen to not be playing while RJ is freshly released, there's barely going to be anybody playing (exactly like grendel missions atm) RJ when they'll come back so good luck to returning players. 

13 hours ago, VieuxPappy said:

This one, you can't blame DE. This come from this smart ass community.

Everytime someone complained about difficult or about boring grind. People came with "play unmodded", so they saw that community kind think difficult = play unmodded (less damage), they did one game mode with that.

Edited by MPonder

On 2020-04-08 at 11:09 AM, MPonder said:

This one, you can't blame DE. This come from this smart ass community.

Everytime someone complained about difficult or about boring grind. People came with "play unmodded", so they saw that community kind think difficult = play unmodded (less damage), they did one game mode with that.

A lil bunch of nostalgic elitists should not have that much weight in the matter.

I'm solo'ing the missions as well, trying not to buy the frame.  Excavation is easy, just tedious.  

Defense...I think I have the correct build with Rev to make this work and should be fine.  

Survival...this is another issue all together because it REALLY relies on good RNG drops of life support.  I'm trying with Hildryn but running out at 9min mark, made it to 6 min with a bad weapon set-up somehow.  Hildryn makes staying alive much easier but kill-power is lacking (Tigris Prime is excellent but slow).

I like a challenge and I haven't cracked yet to get help, the only issue I have with these missions is that they can NOT be solo'd without specific frames on hand.  If they dropped the enemy level down by just 5, it would still be a challenge but more open to other frame/weapon options.  

I do agree, I did them as a duo so they were not as painful as they are as a solo player, especially defense and excavation. 

Frost+Trinity did the trick for me but was for sure not a funny experience.

Did the survival as nidus, so with the cheat death and energy was not super problematic. 

I mean i would have probably chosen better game modes to help solo players too (survival was fine) but maybe mobile defense would have been better than defense or excavation, and exterminate. 

As someone who hates RNG, it was so refreshing to just complete a mission and get the part 100% of the time. It was a fun challenge that makes you think outside the box, it was fun to try to think what frames are best unmodded. WAYYYY better than an 8% drop rate from defection. That said, I don't want this to be their default challenge but it is certainly nice to have a frame locked behind player skill and not hours of an RNG mess. I am definitely not the guy to praise DE (3 for 3 with bad updates imo) but this was definitely a step in the right direction.

2 hours ago, ThePunkyReason said:

As someone who hates RNG, it was so refreshing to just complete a mission and get the part 100% of the time. It was a fun challenge that makes you think outside the box, it was fun to try to think what frames are best unmodded. WAYYYY better than an 8% drop rate from defection. That said, I don't want this to be their default challenge but it is certainly nice to have a frame locked behind player skill and not hours of an RNG mess. I am definitely not the guy to praise DE (3 for 3 with bad updates imo) but this was definitely a step in the right direction.

What's the "player skill" you are referring to? Also, I'v yet to farm a frame for "hours" as you say. As bregastor said, it's all about finding the right combination of cheese and voilà. 

Edited by VieuxPappy

15 minutes ago, VieuxPappy said:

What's the "player skill" you are referring to? Also, I'v yet to farm a frame for "hours" as you say. As bregastor said, it's all about finding the right combination of cheese and voilà. 

Unless one doesn't enjoy using cheese.  A lot of the cheese strategies I've read just don't sound fun to me, so I don't use them.  Farming a frame without them can take quite a while.  The problem I have with Grendel's acquisition is that it all but seems to mandate cheesing it for someone who isn't especially skilled or doesn't have the patience of a saint.  I'm sure that, if I read and followed the right guide, I could use some specific combination of frame, weapons, and strategy that would let me slog through the fifteen waves of defense, but stuff like that is how I get burned out on a game.

• Like 1

yes it's terrible design,

not giveing options but taken away what you had.

similar design in SO/ESO, disable items (and some abilities if spamming)

this kind of design like racing with a car but missing 2 wheels.

--

and another problem, the reward: Grendel himself

it sucks

Edited by DSAUSAGE