Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What do people WANT out of this game?

On 2020-04-09 at 12:02 AM, (PS4)LeBlingKing said:

Now that people who like certain aspects of the base game and people who like certain aspects of the "different" make up a bulk of the community, opinions become double-edged, double-sided, and just straight up oxymoronic.

I think you're trying to attribute an "old school" and "new school" binary to the community's diversity of opinions, when this diversity of opinions doesn't really have anything to do with the age of the stuff people enjoy. Warframe players have always been really divided on what they want out of this game. I'm going to say, in response to your list of bullet points, there are many people who want either one of each option, or even a mix of both (case-dependent). It's often not as simple as "A or B". I'll give you my own opinion of things, but I wanna touch on the last point first:

On 2020-04-09 at 12:02 AM, (PS4)LeBlingKing said:

Is it fair to compare what we have now, and what we had 6-7 years ago, and call it an "improvement"?

If a studio came out with the OG launch version of Warframe in 2020 (8 frames, one tileset, one faction, no bullet jump...), people would be thinking it was a college project. From a completely distilled point of view, the game has improved manifold over the years. The studio has grown, learned, their capabilities have skyrocketed. In application, "Is the game an improvement from before?" is so vague a question that you aren't going to get any kind of specific answer or targeted discussion out of it. This question could be refined: is this game as fun and exciting as it was 7 years ago, as a new player and/or as a player who's been with it the whole time? Or something else. Just "improvement" is too vague.

Personally:

More content, or fix the base? I'm down for base improvements so that I'll revisit the parts of the game I've left behind (Lunaro etc.), but there needs to be new stuff to keep me interested. This can come in the form of items, mechanics, upgrades, missions, lore, art -- I'm not picky, but there needs to be some amount of new stuff to keep me engaged with the universe.

Balance or power fantasy? I don't think these are opposing ideals. In fact, I think some amount of balance is needed to maintain a power fantasy. If I'm constantly unkillable, pressing a single button to watch scores of enemies die instantly, I might feel powerful for like 2 minutes; then I no longer feel powerful, I feel normal versus weak enemies. And if the enemies are that weak, how powerful am I really? For me a power fantasy needs to involve challenge and a real threat, because only then does it feel like you are coming into power. If there is never any threat, if the odds are completely unbalanced toward the player, I am not winning by exercising power, I'm winning because the wizard behind the curtain is just letting me win for showing up.

This is somewhat related, but my favorite elements of the game plot fairly close to an even skill/effort input : power output ratio. Things that are easy to do output less effectiveness than things which are harder to do. Example of this: a #1 ability is quick and cheap but has a small effect, while a #4 ability is slower and expensive but has a greater effect. Example of this done poorly: Mesa. Ballistic Battery is slick and exciting, a real zesty "gunslinger" ability, but its risk-reward coolness is completely blown away by a player's ability to press 4, hold LMB and swivel their mouse around, killing everything without a thought. The high-skill power is much weaker than the zero-skill power.

Are nerfs unnecessary or are they meant to "fix" ""exploits""? Nerfs happen, and that's okay. I know people are gonna leap down my throat about BUT WHAT ABOUT GARBAGE ___ NERF ITS TRASH HOW U DEFEND IT BAAAAHH put down your Sydons. I am not speaking to, for or against any specific buff or nerf. In games, buffs and nerfs will need to happen sometimes to preserve the kind of experience wanted of the game. Players will frequently disagree with these rebalances if they aren't in line with the experience they want of the game. Personally, I like Warframe as a game with reasonably high-paced action, and with its high degree of customization leading to informed choices. If a single feature significantly alters that experience for me, I'm alright with a rebalance. So if the game, via an overpowered feature, reduces itself to a single action that essentially "removes" all other gameplay (ie p42w), I'm not for it, because it undermines the high-action gameplay I enjoy with an "idle mobile game" gameplay others might enjoy, but I don't.

Which members of the community deserve to be listened to the most? If you mean listened to by the devs, none. I don't think any player should get preferential treatment like some kind of favorite child. What would players even do to "deserve" this kind of weird preferential treatment anyway? All we all do is play the game. This "deserve to be listened to" sounds weirdly personal.

Does any of this have to do with being partially owned by Chinese mega-corps? I think people who fear this need to do some reading about how holdings companies work.

How would the developers be able to make amends to the community who liked the base? I feel this is a stilted question, the perspective of which I don't entirely understand. To the asker, what is specifically "the base", and how has been taken away? In any case, I don't think a game developer is necessarily beholden to "make amends" to players who fall out of love with a game. If you no longer enjoy something, don't play. It's a game, not a family member.

Is having more content necessarily a good thing? No. Having less content isn't necessarily a good thing either.

• Like 2

I love this united games. For example, i really dont like railjack, but exploiter orb and eidolons - best content for me. I love, when in this games, every player can found content for him. Today i really want 3rd orb in vallis and more functions of kuva liches( i already write post of this theme)

В 08.04.2020 в 22:42, CxLL сказал:

Lore. The story.

Yes, but with secrets. If we will have all answers on the questions - ii will not fun and mystical. For example. I really love lore of Gara, PoE, Eidolon teralist. I really want to painting this "Massive eidolon". Hmm..im glad to seen lore of vomvalysts. Why? We seen this in PoE, in railjack. It not need to attention? Also i really need to lore of profit taker and exploiter orb. (SPOILERS: I want to see histories of Zuud sisters). And maybe some ideas with PoE: how the exploiter orb destoyed deck 12? Pictures, fragments.

• Like 2

I want new content to be better on release. I could vent how it really didnt sit well with me and why specifically, from old blood, railjack and scarlet spear but people already did that.

Instead ill say im not satisfied with new things and i return to old tilesets again and again. Why did DE stop creating them or lock them behind weird timegates like the new sentient tileset?

I dont know.

I want more new lore. Leverian is actually good imho, it satiates that need even if its just fluff, i doubt well get anything significant out of it. But its a glimpse into the lore. The New War so far has been rather unsatisfying.

I want DE to follow through with their promises and if they have scrapped their ideas to give an update in the next devstreams or cimmunity workshops. Wheres the initial vision of Railjack, Squadlink, countless weapons we were supposed to get, Zephyr Deluxe? Is it all done, just in a bottleneck because they keep working on some big expansion? If so, release the bottleneck, its time.

I have some hopes for this games future content but im wary DE will just not release it. They did so before.

And thats what i want to be able to enjoy the game.

• Like 3

Well first, I want DE's employees to be fairly compensated for their labour and not pushed to the breaking point. Crunch is both real and very bad.

I wasn't around for a lot of the older stuff, and I do think that there are times when DE is very clearly listening to their 'base,' but I've also noticed how many different little ways the game has become more aggressively exploitative in the meantime. You are actually performing labour for DE when you play their game. They gather statistics and that plat other players pay you with in exchange for your labour had to come from somewhere. It's kind of complicated to explain, but if you expand your definition of 'currency' to include anything that grants an entity power, DE knows how to exchange one kind of currency for another. Basically what I want an end to capitalism.

Oh yeah and I guess the gameplay should be good to.

On 2020-04-08 at 12:02 PM, (PS4)LeBlingKing said:

What do YOU want out of this game? And why?

I'd like the game to be less of a buggy mess.
I'd also like proper balancing not just catastrophic instant "nerf it till it's dead" just cause of one sudden flavor-of-the-year event that the one thing makes easier (comeon, Vazarin DIDN'T EVEN WORK ON OPLINKS! (Yes as one of the rare Vazarin mains I'm super salty about how severe of a nerf it's gotten ever since Magus Repair's existance, the constant bugs with the auto-revive count, and now the final nail-in-the-coffin of it's usefulness with the defense objective heal nerf and invul removal, this whole thing deserves to be in it's own topic tho)
Oh and also would like all the "Grind Islands" of content out there already to be linked together.. you know... like Railjank was promised to be? (Funny how Railjank became it's own "Grind Island")
I'd also like Nightwaves to be reset more often, Even if we just go to like Intermission 3 from our current Intermission 2, at least the rewards would be recycled and re-obtainable and getting potatoes would be easier then our current 2nd coming of the potato famine.

In the end and most of all... I'd really just like DE to go back and fix/polish everything and make the game better as a whole, rather then struggle to push out new content that gets more and more broken, and tears the game apart at it's seams as time goes on.

• Like 3

Try describing Warframe as a game in a single sentence, and you'll see the extent of this problem. Warframe is a horde shooter with space ninjas.  But nor the shooty part, nor the ninjas part had been getting any serious attention for years. DE introduced archwings many years ago, it was such a massive success that almost nobody ever played it... So they decide to add archwings to those archwings. Why the hell not? As long as it's free, right?... Except your core game loop is dead since Void 2.0, and in-game economy metastasized into a riven mod. With everything else valuable tanking to the lowest possible prices because of oversupply.

Arcane energise used to cost 500pl a piece. Those used to be endgame-grade rewards. That you could have used for something worthwhile. For some game mode that actually made all the gear hoarding worthwhile in a gear-hoarding game... Now I wonder if by the end of the Scarlet Spear you could buy them for 10pl each. 

Edited by AperoBeltaTwo
  • Like 3

I want DE to actually care about the overall quality of their game, from actually testing updates before launching them, to reinvigorating older content that isn't exactly up to par. I want them to care about constructive player feedback that goes beyond the "This update sucks" or "Thanks DE" mentality. I want them to be honest, because what we saw at the last couple Tennocons clearly doesn't compare to the worthless garbage we have now. I want them to respect their player-base, because...GRIND IS NOT CONTENT!

• Like 2

CONTENT INTERGRATION
Whats the point developing all those features and content just to make it very specific play-style and can be enjoy by a small group of people by separating them in what we called 'content island'

I always had this idea of merging random encounters from other content into normal missions since I got this feeling of DE wanted all the new players to feel all of the content available early on. Currently, we only have a few random encounters in a mission like Ayatan, a bounty hunter (syndicate, stalker etc), scannable lore and friendly lich spawn.

Makes every node have a nightmare version of themself. Exclude dark sector and derelict, add more unique mods and some kind of currency system for those who dedicated to this. It can be Nightmare +2 or +3 with multiple modifiers, the limit is DE imagination.

Next is content integration. I would like to see more random unexpected encounter more in a normal mission even while I'm opening relic. There are a few I can think of.
The reward can be tweaked or discuss, imagine the idea first.
Clem spawn randomly in a tileset asking you to do 1 chore for him so he can reward you with resources/10min booster or something.
A random yellow portal that will take you to do 1 wave of sanctuary onslaught (level scale on current node) for exp and 1 random relic reward.
An infestation tower that spawns a wave of infested and can only be damaged by player own build tower (basically mini tower defence encounter).
A hidden rare unique boss that can be only discovered by scanning at least 3 wall mark to reveal the location with unique weapon BP and resources token (choose which resources you want by consuming the gear).
(If got any lich actives) Random thrall will spawn and will keep running away from you that drop 5 murmur or something (nodes level scale).
Any other content specific unit spawn (faction-based) like arbitration drone, a rare spawn stalker with 1 of his acolytes, corpus banker unit that runs around like diablo loot goblin that drops a big amount of credits.

Since DE wanted people to play on all these nodes ever since relic opening rework, at least make it interesting and engaging.
Another this challenge, for some people/player, challenge can be fun. Wheres the fun the moment you discovered that 1 gun that mowed down high end content like a breeze without getting bored till the next 30% CC/ 20% SC/100 Base Damage weapons comes in.
Warframe seriously need stats squish. At the very least all of mods value by half. This allow player to have challenge and DE to properly do a content that doesn't involved the same old High armor enemies with invulnerabilities phase and wave of of enemy to slow players down mentality lately (looking at you Thermia, Ghoul, SS).
The last event that I actually enjoy from DE is Tubeman of Regor which actually using my brain do the events while having some fun choosing which side to win.

Edited by Shafara
  • Like 1