Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

About A Comment De Steve Made....

Dogspeonlegs

Like Steve said " This is part of our anti-hacking/anti-spoiler/anti-reverse-engineering stuff that been on the table for a while and yeah, it's getting phased in. I will raise it with the team and see what we can do to make it right."

This is not really about the recent encyrption they add.

It was about 2 points he made

Point one: anti-hacking

I fine this pretty funny because I've never found a Online game played by a large group of people that wasn't hackable.

Infact the games that promote the best anitihacking are usually the ones most commonly hacked.

WOW, BF3, COD, LOL, any prime time game currently has active hacks running and undetected.

Most of the games I've played and I found to be almost hack user-free didn't invite the challenge.

Point 2: anti-spoiler

I somewhat agree with this one, though in an online age all you have to do is check a forum, read chat, or some random person will ruin it for you. So I find this a mute point as well.

Example: Vault mod- All have already been spoiled in less than 12 hours.

So as I see it now they are only hurting themselves not promoting themselves as different from the herd.

This just an example from my personal experience though I do promote the effort of anti-spoiler and hacker, I just find the approach as this always fails.

Edited by Dogspeonlegs

There are people claiming to have platinum and credit hacks, but who in their right mind believes those are actually legit? Same with Gems hack in Guild Wars 2, same with Riot Points hack in League of Legends.

Stuff like speed hack or aimbots are far more credible.

There are people claiming to have platinum and credit hacks, but who in their right mind believes those are actually legit? Same with Gems hack in Guild Wars 2, same with Riot Points hack in League of Legends.

The best hacks as you mention are commonly privately coded, used, and not mass released.

They are there but you just don't have access to them. DE also has a centralized server which just in itself makes hacking a lot harder. I applaud them for that and hope they keep it that way.

There are multiple threads in the forums stating people have joined an online game that had hacked multiplies for all drops, getting several hundred morphics in a game, for instance.

There are hacks for Warframe, that's a fact.

There are multiple threads in the forums stating people have joined an online game that had hacked multiplies for all drops, getting several hundred morphics in a game, for instance.

There are hacks for Warframe, that's a fact.

Morphics, really? Who needs that many Morphics? It's like duping the Drake Sword in Dark Souls.

I've never seen anyone hack in Warframe, ever.

It was a made up excuse to allow them full freedom to muck about with drop-rates without being found out. Because they don't like having to write apology letters.

I've read a very interesting article written by someone who WAS hacking warframe. Don't think it was Black Hat style hacking, but he was intercepting, modifying, and creating client-server messages. DE stomped on him hard.

It was a made up excuse to allow them full freedom to muck about with drop-rates without being found out. Because they don't like having to write apology letters.

Well, I dunno . I haven't seen hackers, but I don't think that those were their motives.

Well, I dunno . I haven't seen hackers, but I don't think that those were their motives.

O RLY.

People where complaining about the drop rates (or rather Forma reward rates).

DE denied everything and said the drop rates were good enough.

People datamined the actual Forma reward rates, revealing them to be pitifully low.

DE goes to great lengths to apologize, including the famous "An apology" thread.

If people hadn't datamined the reward rates, DE would've still maintained that everything was fine. Only when presented with the evidence to the contrary did they budge. Now they can get away with it scotch free because with encrypted drop/reward tables there is no way to prove them wrong...

They are allowed to encrypt whatever data they want. If they want our reactions and feedback based only on luck and rumor, then that's what they'll get.

As for anti-cheating: There is always a battle going on on that front. Giving up because "All games eventually get hacked" is a defeatest attitude and the opposite of productive thinking.

I don't understand why the drop rates have to be encrypted. I don't even understand why they really need to be in the client. If the client is in control of what drops and what shows up as a reward, that seems like a big violation of the old "client is untrustworthy" mantra. Surely any changes made to the client side would be irrelevant, because the server does (or at least checks) the reward rolls.

Changing which mobs drop what mods, how often they drop them, making them give better rewards, etc, shouldn't be possible of the game is designed the way it should be. If none of this is possible, then what is being prevented by obscuring them?

All it does is cause confusion when you add new void loot and we don't know which keys we need to be using to get new stuff, especially for items like the braton prime, reaper prime, and paris prime, which are spread to the four corners of the void.

I don't understand why the drop rates have to be encrypted. I don't even understand why they really need to be in the client. If the client is in control of what drops and what shows up as a reward, that seems like a big violation of the old "client is untrustworthy" mantra. Surely any changes made to the client side would be irrelevant, because the server does (or at least checks) the reward rolls.

Changing which mobs drop what mods, how often they drop them, making them give better rewards, etc, shouldn't be possible of the game is designed the way it should be. If none of this is possible, then what is being prevented by obscuring them?

All it does is cause confusion when you add new void loot and we don't know which keys we need to be using to get new stuff, especially for items like the braton prime, reaper prime, and paris prime, which are spread to the four corners of the void.

So people would flail around in the dark and buy key packs in frustration. I mean some people think that way

Point 2: anti-spoiler

I somewhat agree with this one, though in an online age all you have to do is check a forum, read chat, or some random person will ruin it for you. So I find this a mute point as well.

Example: Vault mod- All have already been spoiled in less than 12 hours.

So as I see it now they are only hurting themselves not promoting themselves as different from the herd.

This just an example from my personal experience though I do promote the effort of anti-spoiler and hacker, I just find the approach as this always fails.

They really don't get that part of it, and it's a shame. Players talk. We use the Wiki.

_NO ONE WANTS TO KEEP RUNNING RNG, SIMPLY TO SEE WHATS ON THE RNG_

*ahem*. Point is, they don't get it. we aren't children, we don't need 'teasers', we need facts. Numbers. Data. Information.

Edited by WeissKreuz

Point is, they don't get it. we aren't children, we don't need 'teasers'

If and when they add new types of random encounters that are similar to stalker, I hope nobody breathes a word of it until it starts hitting players at random.

Point is, teasers are a powerful tool, but just like salt, you can't shouldn't use it on everything.

Edited by Archistopheles

DE encrypts their stuff.  Lois Lane wears lead undies.  No-one likes being embarrassed.  Seems pretty simple.

Remember, when you express your opinion of others and their motives, you're also speaking about yourself.

Except there's a history of void drop tables being broken. Now we can't see if it's the case, and I heard about some people getting credit cache rewards from void survivals.

Why would anyone hack in a PVE game is interesting. Its like spawning props and making cars in half-life 2 when you can just buy garrys mod. If DE added a sort of "sandbox" mode it might curb the hacking abuse but i dont think they are inclined toward that type of game.

Just because nobody hacks doesn't mean that nobody will once trade is implemented.

If you'd been here from the beginning you'd be aware of the time when we had people actually hacking things such as resources, credits, and everything of the sort. Some people we're being wrongfully banned because they ran a mission with some randoms and when they came out they had 666 orokin cells.

Also how can you tell if someone is hacking if you're not playing with them? How do you know people didn't stop doing the in game thing because they found a better way they could do it by just sitting in lobby and editing resource numbers? You don't know what everyone is doing in this game or how they're getting their stuff, that's why it's so hard to even tell if people are hacking or not when they get high scores in events.

I'm not saying encrypting the files was a good thing, and I'm not saying it was a bad thing...in fact this doesn't even affect me very much at all at this point so I see no reason to care. What I am saying though is that just because we don't see people doing bad things doesn't mean it isn't happening. I've worked in Target for a while now and I've never seen anyone steal anything but that doesn't mean people haven't.

I'm not saying encrypting the files was a good thing, and I'm not saying it was a bad thing...in fact this doesn't even affect me very much at all at this point so I see no reason to care. What I am saying though is that just because we don't see people doing bad things doesn't mean it isn't happening. I've worked in Target for a while now and I've never seen anyone steal anything but that doesn't mean people haven't.

You very much do have a reason to care, if you ever use the wiki.  A lot of the wiki's information was obtained via data-mining, simply because DE hasn't ever made that data public.  The wiki information has been out of date since the moment everything was encrypted (because DE also changed loot tables again). 

As someone who was previously using the information on the wiki to farm for a certain type of Void Key (and thus, certain Void rewards), I am now completely lost.  Am I just supposed to farm everything and hope I stumble across what I need?  I'm now far less motivated to log on in the first place, and as a result I'll be taking a month or so break from Warframe. 

I'm not saying that game developers shouldn't encrypt or otherwise protect their truly sensitive data.  I just have a very hard time believing that the information currently in question qualifies as data that needs protecting.  If it did need such extensive protection, DE would not have waited this long to encrypt it.  As far as I can tell, the only thing this data was being used for was to provide the community with valuable insight into the RNG of Warframe.  In other words, I firmly believe that the encryption is in place either because the staff at DE is angry that data-miners kept uncovering their mistakes, or because they plan on implementing shady practices (such as reducing drop-rates).