Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Talk About The Corrupted Mods...?

88th_Phantom

Hey there, Tenno

Sorry, but for today I'm going to be 'that guy'.

So, the corrupted mods -  it's a great idea and I've been waiting for something like this to appear for a while, but I can't help but think that this hasn't been thought through as well as it could have.

I go into an OD, got my key (got my rhino) and as luck would have it, I find a vault which takes my key first time. So I finally get back with my bleeding and hobble-cursed rhino (what a combo) and my new corrupted card. My first impression was "wow, that's a lot of fusion levels", but what struck me most was the trade off: Tainted Shell - less spread slower fire rate and that struck me as kind of odd;

"why would you need a tighter cone if you just play by pacing your shots?"

"You'd practically be changing your shotgun into another shotgun, why not just make the shotgun that does this?"

My first conclusion was that this was just "that mod" that got put out with the rest despite not really fitting - needs a few tweaks and such, but after checking the values I couldn't actually consider a case where this would pay off.

Started looking at the wiki to see what else other people had found and I just became confused. There is a good portion of these corrupted mods that just don't seem to function well with themselves - I understand that's the idea, but instead of side grading two useful aspects to weapons, they seem to have side graded two essential/sister aspects to weapons - stats that work in combination with each other and are useless with out the other e.g. crit damage and crit chance.

There are a great number of the mods that defeat themselves by having a negative effect that cancels the use of the positive - I won't need to have a lower recoil if the gun fires so much slower on it's own, No point in a higher crit damage if the base damage it is multiplied by is lowered. 

On the other hand, we have mods like Magnum Force that give the gun a better damage and a greater recoil - this can be used extremely well on guns like the Bronco variants where accuracy and weapon climb aren't much of a concern, or even the warframe corrupted mods, as they have the potential to synergise really well with frames like Loki who don't have direct damage abilities and therefore aren't effected by the negative side grade of mods like Overextend. Unfortunately, it seems like the number of things that benefit from the corrupted mods are too few when two mods or even a dual stat mod could easily replace the values they give.

If I wanted to use High Caliber on a Latron to give it more damage then i have to use more mods to stabilise the gun's added recoil where i could just instead stick on serration a get a similar result with less mod cards being taken.

The problem with these cards seem to overlap each other and the only way to get the most out of them is to use guns that negate their downside and to me that basically feels like cheating it - there's no point in having it. Instead of being given alternatives to gameplay like with the alt helmets, it feels more like a forced min-maxing. 

These aren't going to go away; they've been put in place to replace the system the alt helmets started and I would like to see them continued, but we're going to need some sort of solution that makes the mod worth the trouble.

The best solution i can think of for this involves changing the values presented in one of three ways:

- Buff the positive

- Halve the negative

- Invert the negative effects - make it so, with every level of the card, the negative value is reduced (from the maximum) to a lower value. This makes it more of a card for seasoned players to upgrade for endgame trade-offs and something for newer players to sink some of that slow progression into to benefit in the future (like with the Derelict key scenario).

I understand this is another long read of mine and I thank the peeps that had the patience to read it.

This update brought up a lot of concerns that i felt needed to be explained, so any feedback or suggestions is more than welcome.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Phantom_Jack

Hollow Points is my favourite.

- Damage

+Crit damage

In the best case scenario you would end up with the same damage you started with; the worst case scenario you actually lose damage because your Secondary doesn't crit as much as you'd like.

Don't get me wrong, I love most of them. Blind Rage and Spoiled Strike are awesome (the game was itching for another Melee Attack mod!) but some of them just don't make any sense.

Hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

Not gonna touch any of these so far.

A few of them might have uses for very specific powers, and the shotgun ones don't look totally ridiculous (at least two of them don't)

For vampire mods to work to any actually useful paradigm, they have to have essentially a 150-200% benefit to -25-50% deficit.

Most of these have a "don't ever stick this on anything that's actually affected by it to retain any use, and that's at the outset, much less when/if you max it" paradigm.

Pretty much reminds me of Warface sticking female operators in flak jackets with open fronts and bustiers for their vests and high heels instead of boots. Just because the fanbase asks for something doesn't always mean they have the remotest idea of what they're talking about.

Edited by -Kittens-

Hey there, Tenno

Sorry, but for today I'm going to be 'that guy'.

So, the corrupted mods -  it's a great idea and I've been waiting for something like this to appear for a while, but I can't help but think that this hasn't been thought through as well as it could have.

I go into an OD, got my key (got my rhino) and as luck would have it, I find a vault which takes my key first time. So I finally get back with my bleeding and hobble-cursed rhino (what a combo) and my new corrupted card. My first impression was "wow, that's a lot of fusion levels", but what struck me most was the trade off: Tainted Shell - less spread slower fire rate and that struck me as kind of odd;

"why would you need a tighter cone if you just play by pacing your shots?"

"You'd practically be changing your shotgun into another shotgun, why not just make the shotgun that does this?"

My first conclusion was that this was just "that mod" that got put out with the rest despite not really fitting - needs a few tweaks and such, but after checking the values I couldn't actually consider a case where this would pay off.

Started looking at the wiki to see what else other people had found and I just became confused. There is a good portion of these corrupted mods that just don't seem to function well with themselves - I understand that's the idea, but instead of side grading two useful aspects to weapons, they seem to have side graded two essential/sister aspects to weapons - stats that work in combination with each other and are useless with out the other e.g. crit damage and crit chance.

There are a great number of the mods that defeat themselves by having a negative effect that cancels the use of the positive - I won't need to have a lower recoil if the gun fires so much slower on it's own, No point in a higher crit damage if the base damage it is multiplied by is lowered. 

On the other hand, we have mods like Magnum Force that give the gun a better damage and a greater recoil - this can be used extremely well on guns like the Bronco variants where accuracy and weapon climb aren't much of a concern, or even the warframe corrupted mods, as they have the potential to synergise really well with frames like Loki who don't have direct damage abilities and therefore aren't effected by the negative side grade of mods like Overextend. Unfortunately, it seems like the number of things that benefit from the corrupted mods are too few when two mods or even a dual stat mod could easily replace the values they give.

If I wanted to use High Caliber on a Latron to give it more damage then i have to use more mods to stabilise the gun's added recoil where i could just instead stick on serration a get a similar result with less mod cards being taken.

The problem with these cards seem to overlap each other and the only way to get the most out of them is to use guns that negate their downside and to me that basically feels like cheating it - there's no point in having it. Instead of being given alternatives to gameplay like with the alt helmets, it feels more like a forced min-maxing. 

These aren't going to go away; they've been put in place to replace the system the alt helmets started and I would like to see them continued, but we're going to need some sort of solution that makes the mod worth the trouble.

The best solution i can think of for this involves changing the values presented in one of three ways:

- Buff the positive

- Halve the negative

- Invert the negative effects - make it so, with every level of the card, the negative value is reduced (from the maximum) to a lower value. This makes it more of a card for seasoned players to upgrade for endgame trade-offs and something for newer players to sink some of that slow progression into to benefit in the future (like with the Derelict key scenario).

I understand this is another long read of mine and I thank the peeps that had the patience to read it.

This update brought up a lot of concerns that i felt needed to be explained, so any feedback or sugfestions is more than welcomed.

Thanks for your time.

Instead of thinking of this as an either or situation try adding both. So serration and Heavy Caliber, put these on weapons with low-no recoil and you don't have a problem. I'd have to disagree with these mods being anything less than good on average. Some are pretty bad from what I can tell, but others are absolutely amazing. Overextend on Nyx sounds good.

Edit: I also like how they allow you to achieve more specific results than you normally could. For example, I can turn Rhino's Rhino Stomp into Radial Blast (I think that's what it was called) by adding Fleeting Expertise. And it'd only cost 25 energy to use.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito