Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Omg Bad Hosts

Colaii

Question

16 answers to this question

i've noticed that MTU tends to be touchy with warframe. (so those damned DSL users)

a ping of 90... well, you can't always guarantee your host is going to not do anything else.

maybe his little brother is watching youtube. who knows. might be below 90 at the start, and spike to 700 a few minutes into the game.

speaking as a DSL user with horrendously crappy internet... i've done everything i can to help and it's still very limited. (hence my comment about MTU's -- i have warframe set to ACK levels on QOS with very limited success)

unless they want to offer a daemonized server you can run on a rented host or start hosting the games themselves, you're limited to the whims of whomever's internet connection is hosting.

I think DSL should be banned from the internet. There should be an internet speed limit... except it's the opposite of a highway speed limit... where if you travel below the limit, you are banished to the south pole.

No but really. If you have DSL, don't play online shootyman games. You're gonna have a bad time. DSL is dialup, and the bandwidth is atrocious.

Also, I feel your pain OP. I think DE should implement a client side script that does a brief download/upload speed test of all users in a lobby and then select the one with the best score. Ping alone is not an acceptable way to determine a good host when the hosting method is peer-to-peer.

I think DSL should be banned from the internet. There should be an internet speed limit... except it's the opposite of a highway speed limit... where if you travel below the limit, you are banished to the south pole.

No but really. If you have DSL, don't play online shootyman games. You're gonna have a bad time. DSL is dialup, and the bandwidth is atrocious.

Also, I feel your pain OP. I think DE should implement a client side script that does a brief download/upload speed test of all users in a lobby and then select the one with the best score. Ping alone is not an acceptable way to determine a good host when the hosting method is peer-to-peer.

i have no trouble with this game while being a client.

(honestly don't have trouble as a host, but i'll not be doing that to people, it's cruel and unusual punishment)

DSL is far from dialup, however it is based on "similar" technology.

and yes, the bandwidth is awful.

but some of us can't afford ISP extortion fees to upgrade and aren't in an area with 3g is available.

DSL is far from dialup

DSL: Dialup Subscribers Line

It's a form of dialup.

But yeah, sorry to hear that you can't upgrade to a better internet package. At the moment though, the issue you're probably facing is that your MTU size is capped. As a host, you'll never lag (because your latency is 0), but that doesn't mean that other people who connect to you don't lag all over the place. 

Also you'll likely always have problems with lag as a client because you have DSL. Unless DE can somehow reduce the connection overhead that Warframe needs.

I understand where you're coming from, but you must remember that this game has many issues as such that still need to be resolved.

I think DE is planning to do more bug fix updates, so we'll see how that plays out.

So lag so bad the game is actually unplayable shouldn't be a priority to fix?  Unplayable game... UNPLAYABLE... there are things needing more attention than something that makes the game unplayable?

Ping is such a substandard way of measuring host performance.  90, 100, upto 200 doesn't really matter if the issue is bandwidth or hardware which is most of what limits hosting.  Ping hardly matters relative to those other factors.

So lag so bad the game is actually unplayable shouldn't be a priority to fix?

Again, lag isn't wholly DE's fault. Sure, some of the netcode might not be the most efficient in the world, but 9 times out of 10, the lag you experience is because the host you're connecting to is either downloading gratuitous amounts of... stuff... or their upload bandwidth isn't big enough to accommodate 3 other players.

You can't 'fix' lag with a patch in this respect, to 'fix' it would require DE to essentially upgrade every player's ISP service/connection/etc. 

there's always the option of having a dedicated server option hosted by DE but that would cost $$$.

As opposed to the current option of p2p hosting.

Then again i hate host overall because i have laptop who has a AMD processor which isnt optimized. Even though my current internet connection is reasonable, it ruins other people in your squads experience tenfold. 

Edited by SharkWithALaserBeam

Again, lag isn't wholly DE's fault. Sure, some of the netcode might not be the most efficient in the world, but 9 times out of 10, the lag you experience is because the host you're connecting to is either downloading gratuitous amounts of... stuff... or their upload bandwidth isn't big enough to accommodate 3 other players.

You can't 'fix' lag with a patch in this respect, to 'fix' it would require DE to essentially upgrade every player's ISP service/connection/etc. 

So DE has no way of implementing better host selection? 

So DE has no way of implementing better host selection? 

And what would happen if all 4 players in a lobby didn't have a robust enough internet connection to host?

You'd have this thread all over again.

You should see some of my previous posts in threads like this, one idea that I'd like to see DE implement is a type of 'check' that the game does for all persons in a lobby; it queries their upload/download speeds, and then selects the user with the pest upload speed to be the host. While an idea like this would greatly help in reducing the number of laggy hosts, it doesn't prevent a laggy host from starting a game alone, only to have other players connect afterwards (a host migration from one player to the other mid-game due to one player being detected to have a better connection would be incredibly annoying).

Really, in any peer-to-peer game hosting structure, there is no such thing as a panacea for the lag since it's very dependent on the people who are playing.

Well, displaying the ping or connection speed between you and other player near his name with a green-yellow-red bar (not just a bar but also color-coded to let people understand it easily), inside a serious matchmaking UI would also go a long way.

Age of Empires 3 did something like that and any player whose condition was below yellow (a sure lagger) would get kicked by the host (as they let the host kick the players when still in the lobby).

The only things that were left were guys that got spikes of lag mid-game, but you cannot control that.

Edited by bobafetthotmail