Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Quiver and Minelayer-like abilities: A new casting option, the "Quick Access Numerical Menu"

Azamagon

Personally, I find the "tap vs hold"-mechanic to be rather finnicky to use for the Quiver-like mechanics. Partly because of the fingergymnastics, partly because it's using a cycling mechanic to choose from the abilities.

So, I propose this new additional casting choice for these type abilities: The "Quick Access Numerical Menu" (QANM for short).

How it would work, using Vauban's Minelayer as an example:

1. Upon simply tapping the Minelayer ability, a little menu of icons pops up next to the crosshair. Think something similar to the picture below, but much nicer looking of course (very quick job in Paint, forgive me):

uc?id=1L5gAUTcFT_NwNNmOLMQAqiKqFH5-mA0O
  2. Now, depending on your next button tap, you'll cast a different ability from the Minelayer's menu of choices:
    • Tap 1 - Casts your Tether Coil (the blue icon), and closes the menu.
    • Tap 2 - Casts your Flechette Orb (the red icon), and closes the menu.
    • Tap 3 - Casts your Vector Pad (the yellow icon), and closes the menu.
    • Tap 4 - Casts your Overdriver (the purple icon), and closes the menu.
    • Tap 5 (or Escape) - Closes the menu, casting nothing.
      • Sidenote: Aside from the numbers appearing, there could also be the ability's names in a small font nearby (I'd suggest not to have this though, as that'd likely cause quite the clutter - it could be an additional option perhaps?)
  3. The menu only lasts for, say, five or so seconds. On the last second or so, the menu fades out, indicating that the timer to choose an ability to cast is almost over.

And that's the gist of it!

Comparisons with current the system:

Current "Tap vs Hold": If you want to cast one ability each of Vauban's Minelayer you'd have to do this sequence: Tap 2 (Tether Coil), Hold 2 (cycle), Tap 2 (Flechette Orb), Hold 2 (cycle), Tap 2 (Vector Pad), Hold 2 (cycle) - Tap 2 (Overdriver). Workable, but to me that's a bit finnicky.

If your last cast was Tether Coil, and you wanna cast Overdriver, you'd have to press Hold 2 (cycle), Hold 2 (cycle), Hold 2 (cycle), Tap 2 (cast Overdriver). That's four buttonpress just to change to a different ability (admittebly, that's at its worst).

if you misclick, it either means you cycle to an ability you don't wanna cast (intending to cast, perhaps), or cast an ability you don't wanna cast (intending to cycle, perhaps). In the case of the former, it forces you through a very tedious process to go back to what you wanted to do.

Memory is also a key here. You need to remember the cycling order. And depending on your currently chosen ability, that also means that the starting point of the cycling will differ a lot, which can get very confusing.

Visibility is also skewed, in that you need to look in your lower right corner to see what ability you have chosen. Sure, this could be rectified by having the icons closer to the crosshair (at least appearing while cycling), but currently that's not the case.

To summarize:

The upsides of the current system:

1. You can switch the Tap and Hold functions around in options.
  2. Once you have your chosen ability selected, it's just one buttonpress to cast that same ability again.
  3. Everything related to this ability is located on one button.

The downsides of the current system:

1. It's a cycling mechanic, which is timeconsuming when changing abilities, even when you know exactly what you're doing.
  2. Misclicks exacerbates the cycling mechanic (and the timeconsumption) further.
  3. You need to remember the cycling order - which have different starting points depending on your currently chosen ability.
  4. The icons are located in the lower right corner, which makes selecting/checking them a distraction from the actual battlefield.

The suggested "QANM": If you want to cast one ability each of Vauban's Minelayer you'd have to do this sequence: Tap 2 (menu), Tap 1 (Tether Coil), Tap 2 (menu), Tap 2 (Flechette Orb), Tap 2 (menu), Tap 3 (Vector Pad), Tap 2 (menu), Tap 4 (Overdriver). However, you don't have to do it exactly like that, you can do it in any order you want, like 2-2, 2-1, 2-4, 2-3 (Which translates to casting Flechette, Tether, Overdriver, Vector, in that order).

What that also means, is that if your last cast was Tether Coil (2-1), and you wanna cast Overdriver, you'd only have to tap 2, then tap 4. Much easier to swap to a different ability, and always the same amount of buttonpressing.

If you misclick (i.e. tap 2, opening the menu), well, you can always rectify it by pressing 5 or Escape. However, this is a lesser mistake, as if you're pressing 2 to open the menu, you're likely meaning to open the Minelayer menu in the first place. So, that key-fiddling is a lesser issue.

Memory also still plays a key in the QANM system. You have to memorize which of the 4 buttons casts which ability when the menu is opened. However, if you can memorize the cycling of the current system, I think you can (arguably much more easily) remember the order of the Minelayer abilities in this menu too.

Visibility, at least as suggested, would be located near the crosshair, making it easily viewable what you wanna cast next. It could cause some visual clutter though, I'll admit that.

To summarize:

The upsides of the QANM system:

1. It's always the same amount of buttons needed to cast an ability, no need to fiddle with Tap vs Hold.
  2. It's a direct choice to cast the ability you want, which saves a lot of time.
  3. Misclicking is a much lesser issue - this comes more from misclicking your second button (i.e. when choosing your cast while in the menu). It can also be fixed by just pressing Escape or 5.
  4. The icons are near the crosshair, keeping your eyes on the battlefield even while choosing.

The downsides of the QANM system:

1. It always requires of you to use TWO button presses to cast one ability, which can be slower than the current system when wanting to cast the same ability repeatedly.
  2. You need to remember which button casts which ability. Personally, I feel this would still be notably easier to remember than the current system's cycling order though, as it's similar to remembering your regular Warframe abilities, something we're already used to.
  3. You need to use multiple buttons. This can be an issue to some, and can cause its share of misclicks too (more likely to waste Warframe Energy than the player's time, for comparison).
  4. The menu popping up close to the crosshair can be a visual detriment. However, once you get faster using this ability-system, the visual detriment becomes less of an issue (since choosing quickly also means closing the menu quickly).

Conclusion:

As you can see from the upsides and downsides of the current system vs the QANM system, it's not 100% an upgrade (even if I personally feel the QANM system has more upsides overall, but that's likely my bias speaking, hehe). Which is why I suggested this system as an OPTION, alongside the current system, so you can choose what you feel the most comfortable using.

Hope this sounds appealling to you fellow Tenno and the developers of DE.

Cheers!

EDIT: Oops, I immediately realized when posting, that this suggestion maybe belongs in the General Suggestions or Warframe Suggestions section instead? If a mod deems this mod unfitting here, could you please move it (rather than just deleting it)?

Edited by Azamagon
  • Like 14

+1 great post OP, this seems like a nice alternative to the rather janky tap/hold system which isn't even consistent across all frames - Ivara is tap to cycle and hold to cast for example. I would be really happy to see something like this implemented rather than the cycle system. I can rather easily visualize this being translated to console as well.

Having to press two buttons to cast one ability from a rotation menu is not a problem, in my opinion. Out of your listed downsides only "4" strikes me as an actual downside. The others can be almost completely mitigated with practice or read like you trying to be unbiased about your own idea 😉

Hah though yah, this should probably be moved to feedback :3

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, (NSW)Quarky said:

+1 great post OP, this seems like a nice alternative to the rather janky tap/hold system which isn't even consistent across all frames - Ivara is tap to cycle and hold to cast for example. I would be really happy to see something like this implemented rather than the cycle system. I can rather easily visualize this being translated to console as well.

Having to press two buttons to cast one ability from a rotation menu is not a problem, in my opinion. Out of your listed downsides only "4" strikes me as an actual downside. The others can be almost completely mitigated with practice or read like you trying to be unbiased about your own idea 😉

Hah though yah, this should probably be moved to feedback :3

Thanks for the support!

Yeah, I think most people would favour the QANM system over the current one, but I bet there's a few that'd prefer the current one, still. Which is why I tried to be as unbiased as I could (even though it's hard when you really like your own idea, hehe)

Edited by Azamagon

This would also help to make them consistent. If the standard is supposed to be "tap to change, hold to fire" (which is what Ivara/Wisp/Vauban/Grendel/Titania use), why does Khora use "tap to use, hold to change"? Why does Gauss use "tap for one option, hold for the other"?

4 hours ago, Azamagon said:

Personally, I find the "tap vs hold"-mechanic to be rather finnicky to use for the Quiver-like mechanics. Partly because of the fingergymnastics, partly because it's using a cycling mechanic to choose from the abilities.

So, I propose this new additional casting choice for these type abilities: The "Quick Access Numerical Menu" (QANM for short).

How it would work, using Vauban's Minelayer as an example:

1. Upon simply tapping the Minelayer ability, a little menu of icons pops up next to the crosshair. Think something similar to the picture below, but much nicer looking of course (very quick job in Paint, forgive me):

uc?id=1L5gAUTcFT_NwNNmOLMQAqiKqFH5-mA0O
  2. Now, depending on your next button tap, you'll cast a different ability from the Minelayer's menu of choices:
    • Tap 1 - Casts your Tether Coil (the blue icon), and closes the menu.
    • Tap 2 - Casts your Flechette Orb (the red icon), and closes the menu.
    • Tap 3 - Casts your Vector Pad (the yellow icon), and closes the menu.
    • Tap 4 - Casts your Overdriver (the purple icon), and closes the menu.
    • Tap 5 (or Escape) - Closes the menu, casting nothing.
      • Sidenote: Aside from the numbers appearing, there could also be the ability's names in a small font nearby (I'd suggest not to have this though, as that'd likely cause quite the clutter - it could be an additional option perhaps?)
  3. The menu only lasts for, say, five or so seconds. On the last second or so, the menu fades out, indicating that the timer to choose an ability to cast is almost over.

And that's the gist of it!

Comparisons with current the system:

Current "Tap vs Hold": If you want to cast one ability each of Vauban's Minelayer you'd have to do this sequence: Tap 2 (Tether Coil), Hold 2 (cycle), Tap 2 (Flechette Orb), Hold 2 (cycle), Tap 2 (Vector Pad), Hold 2 (cycle) - Tap 2 (Overdriver). Workable, but to me that's a bit finnicky.

If your last cast was Tether Coil, and you wanna cast Overdriver, you'd have to press Hold 2 (cycle), Hold 2 (cycle), Hold 2 (cycle), Tap 2 (cast Overdriver). That's four buttonpress just to change to a different ability (admittebly, that's at its worst).

if you misclick, it either means you cycle to an ability you don't wanna cast (intending to cast, perhaps), or cast an ability you don't wanna cast (intending to cycle, perhaps). In the cast of the former, it forces you through a very tedious process to go back to what you wanted to do.

Memory is also a key here. You need to remember the cycling order. And depending on your currently chosen ability, that also means that the starting point of the cycling will differ a lot, which can get very confusing.

Visibility is also skewed, in that you need to look in your lower right corner to see what ability you have chosen. Sure, this could be rectified by having the icons closer to the crosshair (at least appearing while cycling), but currently that's not the case.

To summarize:

The upsides of the current system:

1. You can switch the Tap and Hold functions around in options.
  2. Once you have your chosen ability selected, it's just one buttonpress to cast that same ability again.
  3. Everything related to this ability is located on one button.

The downsides of the current system:

1. It's a cycling mechanic, which is timeconsuming when changing abilities, even when you know exactly what you're doing.
  2. Misclicks exacerbates the cycling mechanic (and the timeconsumption) further.
  3. You need to remember the cycling order - which have different starting points depending on your currently chosen ability.
  4. The icons are located in the lower right corner, which makes selecting/checking them a distraction from the actual battlefield.

The suggested "QANM": If you want to cast one ability each of Vauban's Minelayer you'd have to do this sequence: Tap 2 (menu), Tap 1 (Tether Coil), Tap 2 (menu), Tap 2 (Flechette Orb), Tap 2 (menu), Tap 3 (Vector Pad), Tap 2 (menu), Tap 4 (Overdriver). However, you don't have to do it exactly like that, you can do it in any order you want, like 2-2, 2-1, 2-4, 2-3 (Which translates to casting Flechette, Tether, Overdriver, Vector, in that order).

What that also means, is that if your last cast was Tether Coil (2-1), and you wanna cast Overdriver, you'd only have to tap 2, then tap 4. Much easier to swap to a different ability, and always the same amount of buttonpressing.

If you misclick (i.e. tap 2, opening the menu), well, you can always rectify it by pressing 5 or Escape. However, this is a lesser mistake, as if you're pressing 2 to open the menu, you're likely meaning to open the Minelayer menu in the first place. So, that key-fiddling is a lesser issue.

Memory also still plays a key in the QANM system. You have to memorize which of the 4 buttons casts which ability when the menu is opened. However, if you can memorize the cycling of the current system, I think you can (arguably much more easily) remember the order of the Minelayer abilities in this menu too.

Visibility, at least as suggested, would be located near the crosshair, making it easily viewable what you wanna cast next. It could cause some visual clutter though, I'll admit that.

To summarize:

The upsides of the QANM system:

1. It's always the same amount of buttons needed to cast an ability, no need to fiddle with Tap vs Hold.
  2. It's a direct choice to cast the ability you want, which saves a lot of time.
  3. Misclicking is a much lesser issue - this comes more from misclicking your second button (i.e. when choosing your cast while in the menu). It can also be fixed by just pressing Escape or 5.
  4. The icons are near the crosshair, keeping your eyes on the battlefield even while choosing.

The downsides of the QANM system:

1. It always requires of you to use TWO button presses to cast one ability, which can be slower than the current system when wanting to cast the same ability repeatedly.
  2. You need to remember which button casts which ability. Personally, I feel this would still be notably easier to remember than the current system's cycling order though, as it's similar to remembering your regular Warframe abilities, something we're already used to.
  3. You need to use multiple buttons. This can be an issue to some, and can cause its share of misclicks too (more likely to waste Warframe Energy than the player's time, for comparison).
  4. The menu popping up close to the crosshair can be a visual detriment. However, once you get faster using this ability-system, the visual detriment becomes less of an issue (since choosing quickly also means closing the menu quickly).

Conclusion:

As you can see from the upsides and downsides of the current system vs the QANM system, it's not 100% an upgrade (even if I personally feel the QANM system has more upsides overall, but that's likely my bias speaking, hehe). Which is why I suggested this system as an OPTION, alongside the current system, so you can choose what you feel the most comfortable using.

Hope this sounds appealling to you fellow Tenno and the developers of DE.

Cheers!

EDIT: Oops, I immediately realized when posting, that this suggestion maybe belongs in the General Suggestions or Warframe Suggestions section instead? If a mod deems this mod unfitting here, could you please move it (rather than just deleting it)?

yeah great idea
make it more complicated than it needs to be

wanna fix without downside?
how about hold SOME button to make 1 2 3 4 5 .... have different properties

15 minutes ago, ZeroX4 said:

yeah great idea

This isn't complicated at all, what do you mean. The actual system isn't consistent between frames and also are very detrimental to the pace of the game. I don't like ivara precisely for that (I'm the only one who in the heat of the battle confuses the cycle and shot, dunno, the sleep arrow when you want to cast the invisibility? (is an example))

• Like 2

Soo. A sub menu?

I can dee that. Tap and then it opens a sub menu where you sinply tap one you want.

On every control option this would turn these abilities into two touch controls. Press 2 then 4 on keyboards for example and power menu square then triangle using ps4 as referance.. 

I would like this better than cycling, for all powers that have a multi mode selection system.

This system would apply quite well to players using controllers or limited to them..

Speaking as someone who takes advantage of native keyboard and mouse support for warframe on ps4.

Edited by (PS4)ForNoPurpose
  • Like 1

I like the idea that you simply hold the key and it opens a radial menu and you click the sub-ability to cast it or you tap the key to cast the last used. Using a numerical shortcut once the sub-ability radial menu is open would be nice too, though.

17 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

This would also help to make them consistent. If the standard is supposed to be "tap to change, hold to fire" (which is what Ivara/Wisp/Vauban/Grendel/Titania use), why does Khora use "tap to use, hold to change"? Why does Gauss use "tap for one option, hold for the other"?

Exactly! Tap to open, tap to cast something is something that ought to be rather hard to screw up, imo.

Gauss is different though, since it's only 2 abilities. Sure, it could open up a 2-list menu, but that sounds kinda overworking it to me.

17 hours ago, ZeroX4 said:

yeah great idea

How is is more complicated though?

Tap 2 (since Minelayer is Vauban's second ability)

Tap 1, 2, 3, or 4 to cast one of the Minelayer choices. I don't see how that's particularly complicated, personally.

17 hours ago, VentiGlondi said:

It's so complicated TF2's Spy has been successfully using it for 13 years

Oh, this system exists in TF2? Cool!

17 hours ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Console players says hi

To add more context to my post

I mean what about console players?, how would they do that?

If i missed it in your post im sorry i didn't pay attention.

I'd need a counterquestion: How do you cast abilites on console at the moment? If you could please explain that in detail, I'd see if I could see if I could explain its casting style on consoles too. Hopefully, hehe.

17 hours ago, xHeretic said:

This isn't complicated at all, what do you mean. The actual system isn't consistent between frames and also are very detrimental to the pace of the game. I don't like ivara precisely for that (I'm the only one who in the heat of the battle confuses the cycle and shot, dunno, the sleep arrow when you want to cast the invisibility? (is an example))

It's partially the reason why I don't use Ivara so much either (the other part is the parkour-restrictions on Prowl, but that's for another thread). For example, I've often had the situation where I'd like to use Dashwire quickly for mobility, but i often just don't do it, because I have cycled to Sleep Arrows for that snappy emergency CC and I don't wanna hassle playing the tap-vs-hold game. Oftentimes I'm done with my traversal before I am done with the cycle fiddling anyway. With the QANM, I'd definitely not hesitate to vary the ability usage.

Same with Vauban for his tactical variety, I end up not using ANYTHING from Minelayer instead. I don't play Wisp much because of the cycling, since arguably her best skill is her 1st one, and I don't have the energy to hassle with the constant need to cycle-cast when traversing throughout maps. Khora, the same deal (although her 3rd has some seriously severe issues in general that could need a look at).

16 hours ago, yles9056 said:

Or use roll to cancel. That would be nice, too.

I'd disagreed here. I don't want these skills to be a hindrance to your ability to cast acrobatically. Limbo's roll-to-riftwalk can be annoying enough, I'd not like avoid those kind of restrictions.

13 hours ago, (PS4)ForNoPurpose said:

Soo. A sub menu?

I can dee that. Tap and then it opens a sub menu where you sinply tap one you want.

On every control option this would turn these abilities into two touch controls. Press 2 then 4 on keyboards for example and power menu square then triangle using ps4 as referance.. 

I would like this better than cycling, for all powers that have a multi mode selection system.

This system would apply quite well to players using controllers or limited to them..

Speaking as someone who takes advantage of native keyboard and mouse support for warframe on ps4.

Yes, a simple submenu!

While I dunno how casting abilities work on consoles, I'm glad to hear someone saying that it'd likely be good there too!

13 hours ago, (PS4)ForNoPurpose said:

On controller, simplynletting go of the "power menu" button to cancel would be enough 🙂

If you don't mind, would you be so kind to explain how casting works on consoles?

56 minutes ago, Raso719 said:

I like the idea that you simply hold the key and it opens a radial menu and you click the sub-ability to cast it or you tap the key to cast the last used. Using a numerical shortcut once the sub-ability radial menu is open would be nice too, though.

That could be ANOTHER alternative, yes. Upsides to that are the complete removal of miclicks and repeat-casting, but the downside is that it's not as fast for changing your abilities (which is one of my biggest gripes with multiple-in-one abilities)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Azamagon said:

If you don't mind, would you be so kind to explain how casting works on consoles?

My name is fornopurpose!!

Hold a bumper button (R1 usually) then click one of the four usual buttons a/b/x/y or triangle/square/circle/other and transference is the other bumper (L1 usually). I'd imagine you could just do R1+a to activate the "QANM" menu for a cycle ability mapped to the "a" button then R1+<button> for whatever one of the cycled abilities you want to use. Basically the same as PC, we'd just hold a bumper button while accessing your "QANM" menu as well as tapping the mapped buttons, methinks.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Azamagon said:

I'd need a counterquestion: How do you cast abilites on console at the moment? If you could please explain that in detail, I'd see if I could see if I could explain its casting style on consoles too. Hopefully, hehe.

The default is tap to switch, hold to cast 

As with gauss...tap for cold, hold for heat

It's the same it's just your suggested new controls sounds like some hand gymnastics on console 

Edited by (PS4)Hopper_Orouk

35 minutes ago, (NSW)Quarky said:

My name is fornopurpose!!

Hold a bumper button (R1 usually) then click one of the four usual buttons a/b/x/y or triangle/square/circle/other and transference is the other bumper (L1 usually). I'd imagine you could just do R1+a to activate the "QANM" menu for a cycle ability mapped to the "a" button then R1+<button> for whatever one of the cycled abilities you want to use. Basically the same as PC, we'd just hold a bumper button while accessing your "QANM" menu as well as tapping the mapped buttons, methinks.

Hmmm, ok yeah, that might make it a bit more finger-gymnastical than I'd like (but that just seems to be an issue on console in general, not specfic to this casting option, honestly). But hey, as an OPTION, it'd be up to each player in the end anyway!

For direct comparison, it'd be R1+Button (like R1+a as you said) to open the menu, then another Button (a/b/x/y, again, as you said) to cast one of the Minelayer-esque abilities. If you still need to hold the R1-button for the cast as well, then as someone mentioned above, simply letting go of the R1-button could be a smooth option to exit the menu too. So yeah, you did a good comparison how it'd be! 🙂

34 minutes ago, _GoodLuck_ said:

I wanted to suggest this thing. +1

Woo! 😄

26 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

The default is tap to switch, hold to cast 

As with gauss...tap for cold, hold for heat

It's the same it's just your suggested new controls sounds like some hand gymnastics on console 

Hmm, yeah, I got the explanation and I can see how it'd be some potential fingergymnastics involved. But hey, it's just ONE casting option, the current ones would remain to choose as well ofc! 🙂

Edited by Azamagon

4 minutes ago, Azamagon said:

For direct comparison, it'd be R1+Button to open the menu, then another Button to cast one of the Minelayer-esque abilities. If you still need to hold the R1-button for the cast as well, then as someone mentioned above, simply letting go of the R1-button could be a smooth option to exit the menu too.

THIS WOULD MAKE ME SO HAPPY IF IT WAS IMPLEMENTED

Edited by (NSW)Quarky
I CAN'T EVEN ENGLISH I'D BE SO HAPPY
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Azamagon said:

That could be ANOTHER alternative, yes. Upsides to that are the complete removal of miclicks and repeat-casting, but the downside is that it's not as fast for changing your abilities (which is one of my biggest gripes with multiple-in-one abilities)

Repeat casting can be achieved by pressing to quick-cast vs holding to cycle cast.

I think since people are already familiar with the radial menu (ans since the code is already in th game) this would be an easier to implement idea.

1 hour ago, Raso719 said:

1) Repeat casting can be achieved by pressing to quick-cast vs holding to cycle cast.

2) I think since people are already familiar with the radial menu (ans since the code is already in th game) this would be an easier to implement idea.

1) You mean with the current system?

2) What are you referring to here? My suggestion, or your idea?

2 minutes ago, Azamagon said:

1) You mean with the current system?

2) What are you referring to here? My suggestion, or your idea?

I mean with using the same kinda Radial menu as we have for the Gear Wheel or Emote Wheel (my above idea). Repeat casting (quick cast) can be done with a tap. Holding the ability will bring up a Wheel (like the gear wheel) where you can either click on the ability or hit a numerical hot key, It's like your idea but it used existing assets and maintains a consistent visual language and style across the UI.

2 minutes ago, Raso719 said:

I mean with using the same kinda Radial menu as we have for the Gear Wheel or Emote Wheel (my above idea). Repeat casting (quick cast) can be done with a tap. Holding the ability will bring up a Wheel (like the gear wheel) where you can either click on the ability or hit a numerical hot key, It's like your idea but it used existing assets and maintains a consistent visual language and style across the UI.

The problem is the need to hold though, imo.

However, I wouldn't mind your implementation alongside mine, as two new different options. Mine would be more catered for those that want quick access to all their skills (at the cost of needing to use two buttons every time), yours would be catered to those that want easy repeat-casts (at the cost of slower choice-changing).