Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[OOC] What do you take as canon lore for RP?

UilliamNebel

Have noticed discrepancies between in game, and the comic series, as well as past event and other trailers, as well as what looks like some retconned incidents.

So what do most people look at as the canon for Warframe lore? Only events, and details given in game? The more coalesced details brought together on the wiki? I enjoyed the Top Cow comic series, and the web comics, as they broke away from the narrative of the main quest in game, and offered more an idea of other Tenno's activities. But the comic series, with regard to Captain Vor, and what I assume is the 'default' character of a Tenno starting with an Excalibur in the main quest, pose some continuity considerations if taken as canon.

INB4 'Just take what works for your RP!' Sorry, not asking for a standard, asking general viewpoints and preferences as a conversation, not an argument for what is proper lore. And not to tell anyone what they should be basing their roleplays on.

I base my story merely on the game, as I don't want a jimbo-jambo of different people's impressions on the universe. I know Ghouls and Fragments are all based on ideas of Steve, but the more another medium strays away from the core medium, being the game, the more it is likely that at some point there will be inconsistencies. And if I'm not mistaken, we already have inconsistencies in the actual game lore.

That being said, I don't really care for these inconsistencies. Without wanting to offend anyone, but I believe the question after 'is this canon' or even 'do you consider this canon' is never really satisfyingly answered, no matter which franchise. And I'm fortunate enough to not focus on the Tenno in my story, so I don't have to deal with anything critical and can fully focus on how I imagine all the things that haven't been mentioned before. (And in the end, it's really just a small bunch of people who read it anyway.)

7 hours ago, SombraHookier said:

Without wanting to offend anyone, but I believe the question after 'is this canon' or even 'do you consider this canon' is never really satisfyingly answered, no matter which franchise.

Have found that is very much an unavoidable destination with roleplaying, fan fiction, and TTRPGs even.

In the most mature example I know of, as far as a community interacting with a setting creator, being Ed Greenwood via the Candle Keep forums and Twitter and the Forgotten Realms fan base, you see a real amazing willingness to explore, clarify, etc, aspects of the lore. and give ideas on how characters in the setting might interpret things as having happened or being. About the only time I've seen Ed make a strong decree on canon, rather than a 'your Realms' suggestion was with regards to atheism, as it is a bit inconceivable for anyone in the setting, given its premise, to think the gods do not exist.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-04-24 at 12:30 PM, UilliamNebel said:

Have found that is very much an unavoidable destination with roleplaying, fan fiction, and TTRPGs even.

In the most mature example I know of, as far as a community interacting with a setting creator, being Ed Greenwood via the Candle Keep forums and Twitter and the Forgotten Realms fan base, you see a real amazing willingness to explore, clarify, etc, aspects of the lore. and give ideas on how characters in the setting might interpret things as having happened or being. About the only time I've seen Ed make a strong decree on canon, rather than a 'your Realms' suggestion was with regards to atheism, as it is a bit inconceivable for anyone in the setting, given its premise, to think the gods do not exist.

I've heard atheism in settings like Forgotten Realms better depicted like "I don't trust the deities and will ignore their involvement in my life" more than "I don't believe the deities exist." 

As for canon, I take game lore and other stuff lore. I haven't seen all the out of game lore though so I haven't noticed huge discrepencies. When I encounter contradictory lore my first instinct is to double check the perspective we're getting to see if the character is biased. 

• 1 month later...

DE plays fast and loose with a ton of lore. There are apparently human colonies around... But whether we've actually ever seen a human in game is debatable. Ostrons might be something else. Quills have telepathic abilities and the ability to see the future. 

Corpus can walk around inside Jupiters atmosphere without being crumpled. 

Infested are apparently some form of metalizing bacteria/parasite. 

So it's best to not really look into it imo. 

Stick to the factions, the mini-factions. The existence of the void. Ballistic weaponry, and so on. That's all chill. That's how I figure it. 

Operators are the main issue. Stupid teenagers in control of weapons of mass destruction? I had issue with it 4 years ago. I still have issues with it. Frankly, I'm hoping the Duviri paradox will let me kill off my operator and make my warframes sentient on their own, like Excal Umbra. And so on. 

I generally stick to one of two options.

A) A cephalon or something similar is controlling the warframe. Similar to Chroma, Inaros, Khora, or some such similar. 

B) Treat the warframe as an exosuit. 

Infinite Range Remote Controlling the warframes seems always silly. Because why not introduce void interference to the point of disrupting the connection? Grineer and Corpus ships have Void Drives. So it's just stupid. Thats what I stick to, tho.

i actually have this story I like about valkyr involving tenshin and more about how i think the lotus should leave the tenno. Im not sure where to put this and this place seems as good as any

so this would take place in the early days its about valkyr backstory and why shes such an effect tenno despite her broken warframe.

the corpus and the lotus engage in a massive power struggle. Alad V and his secret Zanuka project is precisely on schedule. After obtaining and enslaving the warframe Valkyr, Alad V has used her to halt the lotus and the tenno from gaining any foothold against the corpus. Her blind rage proved to be too much for the few tenno who have awoken thus far. (i imagine it being mag, volt, excal, and rhino) Her veracity forced to tenno to seek help in the only place they would find allies. The underbelly of the corpus food chain, the rig jockies of fortuna. Lead by eudico, a brave soul who once lead a rebellion against the corpus but ultimately failed is effectively recruited by the lotus to serve as a fake rebellion figure head disguised as rig jocky rebellion like has happened in the past. The idea is that the corpus leaders, completely unaware of tenno involvement, would begin to see large profit loss as SU began getting a foothold and turned to Alad V and his enslaved warframe to deal with the problem for them. (likely threatening him with their investments in his project). Whether Alad V knew it was all a trap designed to lure out Valkyr was irrelvant because his investors would force him to take action and with the Zanuka project so close to completion he would have no choice but to send Valkyr to engage the SU. But the tenno were waiting and watching and  all Valkyr's rage and fury stood no chance against their team work. The valkyr warframe was sent back to the lotus and it was discovered that like the awoken tenno she was being operated by a child of the void just as they were and was conscious during every operation and every experiment Alad V and his team of corpus scientists did on her. In one experiment Alad V removed Valkyr's inhibitor chip which prevented a warframe from tearing itself apart from physical stress (much like we as humans do as well). This made it impossible to control her warframe, even simple tasks like picking up a cup ,if she wasn't focused and careful, she would end up crushing it. To make things worse the scars of the Lab were still fresh and tormented her day and night. unable to control Valkyr and fearing she would hurt herself or others looked to the past for answers. She found tenshin and pleaded with him to help Valkyr. A deal was struck and the lotus handed the unstable warframe to tenshin. He began by training her to control her strength without thinking too much. Then he began to train her skills and sharpen her mind. During this training tenshin sense that the anger deep within her, Valkyr's true potential would never show itself in these controlled environments. First he tried forcing vicious animals like kubrow against her but they sensed the same thing that tenshin did and fled instead of fought. Tenshin became more creative and began kidnapping grineer foot soldiers, arming them, and forcing them to face against valkyr. In this life or death situation valkyr's true nature consisting of pure rage and hatred boiled to the surface allowing tenshin to clearly see the monster he was really training. Instead of turning her away as a destructive force of evil he fed her anger and trained her to harness and unleash it more effectively. This took many years but eventually Valkyr was able to go on missions with the other tenno and was deployed back to solairs to aid the resistance efforts. But the more she fought and the longer she remained in corpus territory the angrier she became. attempting to control her anger she bottled it up. Eventually on a fateful day. Valkyr was sent in alone to raid and destroy a corpus military base. the base was more heavily gaurded than expected and a terrible battle broke out causing all of valkyrs's bottled rage to unleash all at once and she began tearing apart anything that moved . Including a group of rig jockies that belonged to SU. The lotus responed immediately and dispatched a the only tenno she believed could subdue Valkyr. This warframe is Khora and veniri (i spelled it wrong) and the bond between the two proved useful against the blind rage. Khora with her living chains bounded and stopped Valkyr who almost immidiatly after realizing she couldnt move came to her senses and accepted her defeat. She was returned to the lotus and judged under the lotus and the tenno council. (i also like to imagine that the tenno council was quickly put together for this one and only purpose) The tenno and the lotus found Valkyr guilty and imprisoned her in a very large empty metal box. While there was struggle it was there Valkyr remembered tenshin's teachings and learned to properly harness her rage and unleash it before every strike. She was eventually released and once she had proved herself against infested outbreaks she was deployed to earth to thin the grineer's numbers and became a key role in the destruction of an eidolon teralyst that was attempting to destroy the dome around cetus.

God that feels good to get off my chest. Ive had that one for a while

• 3 weeks later...

I have a tangential question. As a new player, when and how do I discover the lore?

I've done a few main quests (just finished The New Strange) and I'm very lost about the world and backstory of factions.
I tend to like games with narrative because actions and events feel like they have more impact and depth, so I am very interested in Warframe's lore.

54 minutes ago, (NSW)Ranagan said:

I have a tangential question. As a new player, when and how do I discover the lore?

I've done a few main quests (just finished The New Strange) and I'm very lost about the world and backstory of factions.
I tend to like games with narrative because actions and events feel like they have more impact and depth, so I am very interested in Warframe's lore.

You can find out about Ostron from Plains of Eidolon searching for small glass statues. You can find about Solaris United from physical models of debt bonds scattered around the Orb Vallis. You can find out about Venari from Ghouls. You can find out about Ordis more from scanning Cephalon fragments. You can learn more about Warframes through Leverians.

As someone who has been running the Tales of the Awakened RP discord server that's had many RP threads start and complete over the last two years, I have no mucking clue lmao, but I'll throw my two cents in for anyone who might want it. The community members and I have spent a lot of time pouring over what is in Warframe to try to piece together a clear canon and there's just so much we don't know. We made a 'lore catalog' to house some of the big things we tried to clear up, but we quickly found out how volatile and unclear the lore is. I might as well drop that here for you. It's pretty old and incomplete, but it still has a lot of good info to look through. We still use pieces of it for our universe.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QaO4WLI2qrEnH3LbuqZ-gotpWGk6hBN9GTIxE3wKfDs/edit?usp=sharing

• 4 months later...

Well, part of my personal rules regarding Warframe for RPs/Fanfic regarding the Frames themselves is the extent to which the Orokin went to make the Tenno believe they were the Warframe. Basically, each of the "Personal Warframes"(Warframes made for specific Tenno), have the genetic code of the Tenno in question added to the Warframe itself, allowing the Warframe to shapeshift into an unscarred, adult version of the Operator. As for why our Warframe in game cannot do this? Simple. The ones we are using in game aren't our personal Frame. They are just generic, mass-production models we are making in the foundry because, at some point in the past, our personal Frame was lost to us. Unfortunately that also ties into a bunch of other interpretations of the Lore I make and that is a massive can of worms I'm only going to open if someone really wants me to because of my own, er, issues when it comes to writing. 

Archived