Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An update to pets? Pets 2.0?

Oakhams

An Idea for an Update to pets Kavats, Kubrows, Moas, and Setinels.
Including Frames with Special Pets as well, Such as Khora.

Kavats: Seen as the Buffer selection of Most Builds, from Flat crit gains to Double drops. Give them a more Stealthy approach to gameplay. Make them Bait enemies from around corners with a small chirp or sound that doesnt alert enemies but does attract them to that spot.
You could make a damage multiplier for the enemies who are distracted by the noise for the kavat. (could all be apart of precept mod reworks or just as base mechanics)
Still similar Hp shield and armor pool to what they have currently as they wouldnt change gameplay too much overall, just ideas being thrown out for reworking small things as a base.

Venari: The kavat who is supposed to be the Apex of Kavat Genetics. How is Venari not able to use all the precepts for all kavats, As with any other pet that comes out tied to a warframe? Make them Able to use All Precepts, Give options to the player for a Pet designed to be stronger for bonding with a frame. Say Charm, Cat's Eye, and Draining Bite would be Good to be Able to add to the Selection Venari can choose from. Let alone actually being affected by Oberon's Passive since Venari is a companion. Obviously Don't Let Cat's Eye and Charm Stack, But give the option for one or the other at a time.

Even atleast select mods from each pet, For instance I dont know who uses the Proboscis precept for the Helminth, and it wouldnt make sense thematically for a non infested kubrow to use. Trample on the other hand is really strong for damage output.

If loyalty for kavats doesn't decay, why does kubrow loyalty?

Kubrows: Make them the Damage Dealing Monsters of Companions. They are really close to being able to do alot of damage, But are super squishy if left alone for a moment or two in ~60+ content. With the exception of the Huras Kubrow Being the Awkward Stealthy boy. (or Girl). Kubrows should be intimidating and a Major threat for simple enemies to deal with. Most kubrows were bred for combat related assistance.

Along the Line of Stat buffs for each of the companions above

Kavats: Why not Add more Evasion to the game with them Specifically? 30% evasion base for all Kavats? Make them the Sleek and Evasive Companions as they should be.

Kubrows:
All base Armor Fit to 100 Minimal, (Not including the Collar Upgrade).
Health 300 at rank 30 Minimal.
Shields would Vary depending on the breed.

Huras  
Shield - 400-450 at rank 30 
Armor - 100 
Health - 300 at rank 30

Raksa  
Shield - 450-500 at rank 30 - Designed to be the Tanky Shield Kubrow with the 'protect' precept. (possibly Buff the precept to be as strong as the base shield at rank 30)
Armor - 250-300 
Health - 350-400 at rank 30

Sahasa 
Shields - 300 at rank 30
Armor - 150
Health - 400 at rank 30

Sunika
Shields - 300 at rank 30
Armor - 200
Health - 350 at rank 30

Chesa
Shields - 300 at rank 30
Armor - 150
Health - 400 at rank 30

Helminth Charger 
Shields - 0 - Infested why does it have shielding?
Armor - 250
Health - 500-550 at rank 30

(Not fully done with this)

Open to input, I designed it this way to not scale the rediculous inaros scaling more from changing link mods, but just adding base stat.

1 hour ago, Uhkretor said:

... Either my Kubrow is something special by nature, or bad Kubrow builds are affecting your judgement...

Its not anything special, if you use a frame with a decent health and armor pool by nature and arent doing 60+ content at all the kubrow wont be hit all too hard. Its just for frames that dont have the hardest defensive stats mag for example. kubrows will be relatively squishy. No, They arent bad builds that ive had. the Standard two link mods being health and armor, plus a packmaster for the lifesteal isnt hard for sustain. just kubrows are relatively low stats across the board without a supplimentive frame for stat boosting. That paired with the AI to sit still for extensive amounts of time doesnt help.

good ideas. they are supposedly starting to work on Pets 2.0, so we will see changes. personally there's a few I think are a must:

- make Kubrows and Kavats very different: Kavats can be agile, glass cannon type fighters who are squishier than Kubrows but can deal tons of damage, while Kubrows are slightly more focused on utility and benefiting the user (dogs care more about their masters after all), but are tougher than Kavats.

- Helminth Chargers should have fast health regen like Nidus does. maybe give them some Juggernaut abilities, like charging, spawning another friendly infested unit or covering a wide area with toxic gas.

- remove loyalty and DNA stability system: the micro-management just isn't worth the upkeep compared to sentinels. if necessary, change Stabilizers to DNA Enhancers, that grant your companion buffs to health, damage, armor etc for a set amount of missions. replace all existing stabilzers with these, and replace stabilizers in the market with these (also keep them near the front of the market, it's a pain having to search for these things all the time).

- buff Venari in all aspects, so that she actually feels like an Exalted Pet.

if we can get somehting like this, I'll be sure to start breeding puppies and kittens again, and then we can eventually move on to adding new companions, like Birds of Prey, or pet Brachiolysts etc.

2 hours ago, Firetempest said:

From today's stream. They are currently (for reals he says) working on the removal of stasis. That's it for now.

Theory crafting new stats and mechanics etc is better over here:https://forums.warframe.com/forum/89-fan-concepts/

and damn am i looking forward to that. at least i dont have to wait hours for my pet to swap anymore but i still dont use it much since its a pain in the butt. smeeters for life until then.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

maybe give them some Juggernaut abilities, like charging, spawning another friendly infested unit

They kinda already do these, The Trample Precept does alot of damage and charges forward, and the strain set summons awhole bunch of maggots that cc quite well every like 30 seconds. I actually enjoy the strain set quite well.

• Like 1

The companion management has started becoming quite a toll recently for me. The fact that they instantly get inihilated in  rj missions is a decent enough proof imho that something is clearly wrong design wise. DE answered the initial issues with power creeped mods(the link mods) but it was an "easy" solution. The fact that some companions have amazing perks mixed with the fact that there is no real way making them survive(even after investing a lot, investment makes a huge difference actually) makes absolutely no sense from a design PoV. In one hand they are sold as tools that give an edge and the other hand these can't handle the highest level content.

A simple solution would be to create a mod that make them invicible but unable to attack. The fact it doesn't exist is mostly related to the amount of formas required to make a minmax build for them atm. That's the sad truth.

Edited by Galuf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

good ideas. they are supposedly starting to work on Pets 2.0, so we will see changes. personally there's a few I think are a must:

- make Kubrows and Kavats very different: Kavats can be agile, glass cannon type fighters who are squishier than Kubrows but can deal tons of damage, while Kubrows are slightly more focused on utility and benefiting the user (dogs care more about their masters after all), but are tougher than Kavats.

eh...i dont see my Kavat dealing more damage than my Kubrow. i see Kavats as more utility than damage, but maybe that wouldnt work with current setup of abilities. 

• Like 3

Honestly I hope they add in a mod or at least resistance to knockdowns, Napalms AoE attack.. you know the fire field thing? Kubrows always get knocked down to it and can't get back up since they will just get knocked down again in the same field. 😞

6 hours ago, vakary829 said:

Napalms AoE attack.. you know the fire field thing? Kubrows always get knocked down to it and can't get back up since they will just get knocked down again in the same field.

I have never seen this interaction, I've only seen the knockdowns on the ground slams from the heavy gunners, bombards, napalms and the shield bash from the shield lancers.

Not the Aoe fire Field that doesnt have anything but damage, a stagger, and a Damage over time aoe.

3 hours ago, Oakhams said:

I have never seen this interaction, I've only seen the knockdowns on the ground slams from the heavy gunners, bombards, napalms and the shield bash from the shield lancers.

Not the Aoe fire Field that doesnt have anything but damage, a stagger, and a Damage over time aoe.

It's interesting overall because as far as I know/seen that knockdown only effects Kubrows, not Kavats, not MOAs, just our doggy friends.  😞 Maybe for pets that stagger is a full on knockdown? 

14 hours ago, Oakhams said:

if you use a frame with a decent health and armor pool by nature and arent doing 60+ content at all the kubrow wont be hit all too hard.

... So~, Excal and a Kubrow on lvl5 Lich missions without abilities...

... Ok, glad to know.

• Like 1

I am a pet maniac. Kubrows brought me to Warframe, Kavats added another layer of Petcake. Venari was icing to that cake. The AI right now is.. . no sugar in the cake though the icing is tastey. AI needs a COMPLETE OVERHAUL.

I have 99 beast companions. I turned in none of them. Number 100 will be the first bred when the Kavat feature of different head and tails is added to Kubrows. My guess is baby beasts will roam freely in the orbiter in numbers once the pet freezer is removed. Yay!

As for builds. You can make a powerful, able to kill Sortie 3 heavies, Kubrows and Kavats able to mow down 60+ light weights, if you put some thought, plat and lots of Kuva into it.

The aura Shepard, will boost pets by 300 Health & 180 Armor by a base 100% + DNA integrity. So a pet with 80% integrity will have 180% of those base values per warframe using it. So even lightly armored and low health warframes can give their companions extra survival. (I actually put the aura concept in fan concepts. ❤️ )

As for damage. Hunter Synergy. A high crit primary weapon was nessesary, then add a Riven mod focused on crit to the mix. My first was Synapse, I had it boosted to 210% crit chance. That's 63% given to your Kavat or Kubrow. Sending both to 100+% crit chance (My Kavats are 160+% ). No primary weapon but secondaries and melee, like me, will keep the pet healed and in action. Hunter's recovery lets your pet heal you just as much as you heal them. With Liches a new weapon replaced Synapse. Kuva Chakkurr. High Crit AND High status chance. Add a Riven, Hunter Synergy and, for Kubrows, Mecha Overdrive can give your pup 100+% crit chance and  90+% Status chance. Throw on Fire or Poison then almost every bite will deal over 10k damage and a status proc that will wreck 100+ enemies. 

Pets do need work. However it is NOT the stats. Just watching Venari will prove that. The AI, brains, of our pets need to be renewed. Kubrows came out in 2014. Six years ago. AI back then and AI of today are entirely different beasts. Anyone who's seen a video of the RTX/GTX noise canceling AI will see that. 

However there is one thing extra that I have asked for repeatedly. I won't give up. 10 more Mod slots set into a weapon type. A collar is there that adds stats to the armor and health. Why not make it so collars hold the attack stats. Then you can really change things up. Taichen Kubrow collar, Slash damage. A spiked type collar, Piercing Damage. A heavy Collar type, Impact damage. Even better, all 3 physical stats to different degrees. Kavats are little compared to Kubrows slender necks and smaller collars so lower damage stats. 6 of my current Kubrow's slots are taken up by damage mods. I could put 6 mods to make my pet have a longer down time, slow regen and shield when rezzing. 

Of course if this happened my Riven list would be full of collar rivens with different stats to give different attack builds. 🙂 

• 4 weeks later...

Some suggestions: 

Let the unique abilities of the different breeds not be as Precept Mods but the abilities in their own right, like warframe abilities. This I had come across already in someone else's post and I wish to requote it here. So effectively a pet has 6 mod slots that it can actually use instead of four. (other 2 being used for their so called abilities) make the abilities able to get ranked up.

Maybe the rank up system of their level can be the same usual way, but their abilities can have a Skill Tree. Currently we got a skill tree only for the operator who uses the frames, Why not pets which are also a separate living being like the operator have its own skill tree?

Like for example a Huras breed of Kubrows (which I currently own as one of my pets) can have a tree connecting its basic stealth abilities and make it more powerful.

For example consider the invisibility ability. Make that as a separate branch of a long line of skills that will buff its invisibility and stealth to gradually making it able to stealth kill with increased damage, and further upgrades of that ability tree lets that kind of attack take away a huge chunk of enemies health letting the user do a mercy kill, (If this may seem OP, DE can balance this as: mercy kills can make the user remain stealthy while a normal attack will blow his invisibility cover.)

This is just one example of a potential skill tree system. Kubrows and Kavats can be ranked up in regular missions from level 0 to level 30. But for the skill trees, they can obtain specific training as mentioned by this person I have quoted. This way leveling ups is the same as it is now, but a skill tree system for each breed will make it better combatant (after all these breeds bred by the Orokin for utility were now adapted to combat uses by the Tenno right? so this skill tree only strengthens the lore).

So the player's pets would not suffer major ranking system changes, but only an additional skill tree system for their unique abilities to strengthen them and elimination of the two exclusive precept mods systems that makes such mods to take up space.

Guys Please Like this, and post your views on this idea/concept If u find this a potential suitable update that will make companions and experience of using it more better. Please help reach this Feedback to the DE for considering it. I as a regular player, would very much like the game to update these small things and make the overall user experience more rich. So much can be done with the incubator equipment than keeping it only for stasis and incubations, and I as a player see so much potential and capability in what DE could do upon companions which they have introduced. this perhaps could be a game changer even.

• Like 1

On 2020-04-24 at 7:35 PM, Oakhams said:

Its not anything special, if you use a frame with a decent health and armor pool by nature and arent doing 60+ content at all the kubrow wont be hit all too hard. Its just for frames that dont have the hardest defensive stats mag for example. kubrows will be relatively squishy. No, They arent bad builds that ive had. the Standard two link mods being health and armor, plus a packmaster for the lifesteal isnt hard for sustain. just kubrows are relatively low stats across the board without a supplimentive frame for stat boosting. That paired with the AI to sit still for extensive amounts of time doesnt help.

This.  Kubrows aren’t quite magical 4-legged Warframes like Kavats are.  They need to tank better and hit harder than their thinner kavat counterparts, who have a ton more options and frankly aren’t as cool or visually satisfying as Kubrows (except for moonlight feral skin imo) even with the aesthetic variations that Kubrows have yet to receive.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73