Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Finishers should bypass shields

Tyreaus

This is kind of a smaller nit-pick but:

Slash was changed so that it couldn't just rip through everything (though it kind of still does...). So Slash DoTs, which are True damage, don't bypass shields. Except...

Finishers also use True damage values. Because of enemy shield changes, Finishers now have to get through shields, including—so far as I can tell—the 90-something% damage reduction at the shield gate. That really affects how good Finishers are. And they already are very niche.

This also impacts Ash's 4 directly, and his teleport -> finisher combo.

It would be nice to see Slash use its own "Bleed" damage type, programmed to bypass armour and not shields, and let True damage resume its previous behaviour. That way, the status changes don't have such a chain reaction on other things that arguably didn't need that kind of nerf. And it also means that abilities using True damage and made to bypass shields—Energy Vampire and Tentacle Swarm, namely— don't require unique exceptions to bypass shields. They can just use True damage, while other abilities can be converted to the armour-bypass Bleed damage.

But mostly: the finishers.

Edited by Tyreaus

10 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

This is kind of a smaller nit-pick but:

Slash was changed so that it couldn't just rip through everything (though it kind of still does...). So Slash DoTs, which are True damage, don't bypass shields. Except...

Finishers also use True damage values. Because of enemy shield changes, Finishers now have to get through shields, including—so far as I can tell—the 90-something% damage reduction at the shield gate. That really affects how good Finishers are. And they already are very niche.

This also impacts Ash's 4 directly, and his teleport -> finisher combo.

It would be nice to see Slash use its own "Bleed" damage type, programmed to bypass armour and not shields, and let True damage resume its previous behaviour. That way, the status changes don't have such a chain reaction on other things that arguably didn't need that kind of nerf. And it also means that abilities using True damage and made to bypass shields—Energy Vampire and Tentacle Swarm, namely— don't require unique exceptions to bypass shields. They can just use True damage, while other abilities can be converted to the armour-bypass Bleed damage.

But mostly: the finishers.

You should probably change your thread's title to reflect your real intention here. Otherwise, this is a simple clickbait thread.

13 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

You should probably change your thread's title to reflect your real intention here. Otherwise, this is a simple clickbait thread.

I mean the real intention is for Slash's DoT to be a separate thing from True damage so that the changes to Slash (i.e. to make it not bypass shields) aren't affecting so many other aspects of the game...

11 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

Neither Slash nor Finishers should really be doing True damage, because True damage feels like a meta-game thing. It ought to be restricted to situations where the system needs to deal a precise amount of damage, like Inaros dealing True damage to himself when charging Scarab Armour so that that damage can't be modified or resisted. As it stands right now, Slash procs dealing True damage seems to exist purely as a crutch to give Slash an anti-armour function, despite Puncture being the supposed anti-armour damage type. I mean, DE already changed Gas procs to no longer deal Toxic damage.

On the flip side, Damage 2.0 is such a mess of contradictions, redundancy and bad design that I don't think you can really address Slash without collapsing the entire system in on itself. As with any "good" system, players have built around a special-case exception and disregarded the majority of it. Like any "good" developer, DE have reinforced those habits rather than rebalancing them. This is why we live in a world where changing ONE damage type will likely entirely break the builds of a plurality of players.

I sincerely hope a Warframe Revised iteration about damage types is in our future, because that mess really needs another look-through.

• Like 3