Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why does DE like changing things that don't need to be changed?

I know this is a minor non game changing gripe, but why do DE like messing around with all the UIs in game and absolutely ruining them? First they changed the way the Syndicate UI looked and that was absolutely unnecessary. Now they change the way Market looks, and it looks even WORSE. You could've just added the filter buttons there without making everything transparent. Now the background Art/Animation covers up so much of the item you're trying to see on the Market and it is an absolute eyesore. Give us the option to keep the older UI at least DE.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SlashingSunset said:

I know this is a minor non game changing gripe, but why do DE like messing around with all the UIs in game and absolutely ruining them? First they changed the way the Syndicate UI looked and that was absolutely unnecessary. Now they change the way Market looks, and it looks even WORSE. You could've just added the filter buttons there without making everything transparent. Now the background Art/Animation covers up so much of the item you're trying to see on the Market and it is an absolute eyesore. Give us the option to keep the older UI at least DE.

They are “modernizing” the UI to match it to today’s standards and DE can’t support legacy and new UIs so they have to make sacrifices. DE’s approach is Form over Functionality I am afraid.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, SlashingSunset said:

Give us the option to keep the older UI at least DE.

Maintaining both old and new isn't a good idea, options have a cost.

DE changes things becauses they believe they are making them better, they quite often are. Hidding inventory labels is an obvious exception, but even that was addressed in time.

Between future tweaks and just getting used to it, you'll be fine.

* If you liked the previous market ui, just know that it to was an unnecessary rework.

• Like 4

They probably think those things are essential, but what it feels like is that they are just changing things up to seem like they are "working hard" on the game.

It is like you are slacking at work and all of a sudden boss walks in and you start typing on the keyboard pretend like you are writing a very important mail or something.

• Like 1

Agree in principle with the OP.

Some updates are fine but DE has a habit of changing things without really telling us...it is even more than just the UI, loading screen.

For example, in the tilesets when you drop in that has the 'lockers' with the benches. The benches use to  be bigger/closer to the lockers and moving between them was some what annoying...then without warning...they got smaller. It is easier to move between the benches and lockers now...so that is a +1 for good change.

Next example, in Hydron tileset DE decided to remove the arm rails on the stairs...so now you simply run off the stairs far too often. Was this a good or bad change? I give it -1 on the change meter.

And don't even talk about "bloom lighting" and "volumetric lighting"...DE continues to fall into the trap that many developers do with these "great" features...overuse...bordering on abuse. The great thing about the "bloom lighting" and "volumetric lighting" is how unrealistic it is...and blinding...for no real value to the game. When I walk through a forest I don't see clear beams of light coming through the canopy...but you do in a game...because...um..realism.

Anyway...agree that some changes are "good" but the many times these changes seem to just be for the graphics developers to "play" with new features isn't a good thing.

• Like 1

I think the answer here is  mobile app....  

So much of the internet and gaming UI is optimized so it can be fit into a smart phone and swipable.  I really really hate what smartphones did to UI design.   

Meanwhile every single game on a console has such TINY @#$^#$^@#^ TEXT size you can not read it from 5 feet away. 

-----------------

Have you guys tried scrolling through Railjack wreckage???  If you scroll up or down through your wrecks and the cursor lands on a wreck it stops scrolling and just hangs there.  SOooooo #$^&^*%^#*%* annoying.    

When you mouse over stuff it makes stupid pop ups appear that block out other things in the inventory.  

Awhile back they put out an ad for UI designer and apparently they never got any replys.....

---------------- 

I do like what they did with UI themes and colors though.   I wish there were a ton of sound packages to pick from instead of THREE.   Sound packages = theme count

Oooooo I wish there was that metal shawzin sound package lol.  Corvu  Corbu ?? whatever lol.  

imho its been a time honored tradition ever since they devastated their simple/functional/easy to use UI and instead started the "new" ones when the console port(s) appeared, since then the UI has constantly turned into confusing, meaningless icons with nice nested menus that take ages to navigate.

You know, I've been playing for 6 years now... And I actually LIKE the changes they have made. Granted, there are more then a few bumps, and some of it took a bit of getting used to. But take the Market for example. Once I got over it, and messed around with it, I REALLY LIKE HOW EASY IT IS TO USE. 

Nothing is Perfect 🙂

• Like 2

The menu UI are fine and some changes I actually see the concept of making the weapons menu more easily navigated. Just needs time to get used to them. Remember the outcry over the Microsoft Office 2013 toolbars? Everyone hated it then later got the point it was more productive and easier than scrolling through many drop downs. 

Game UIs also go towards more graphics and less menus and layers of drop downs too. 

For the in game perspective I think its fair to say this is a rather old game engine and some refreshing is needed to keep up with the times. 

Warframe does have an issue of overblown fx flooding the screen with four squad members nuking enemies as fast as they can. 

On 2020-05-03 at 2:55 PM, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

the UI in about another year:

We've all gone through that weird UI phase : wow

This such a great screen shot. It's an example of when the UX ceases to enable interaction and instead dictates specific interactions at the cost of the original purpose of the core UX...the game itself. In short, in this example the UI is playing you the player. Of course...this is also the result of giving the player maybe too much choice over their UX.

On 2020-05-03 at 5:18 AM, SlashingSunset said:

Another aspect to consider here is the game dev's point of view. When they started out they had a vision and or mental picture of how they wanted things to be and or look. Time, tech, and money can dictate much of what they can and can not do. One of the examples I like to use in such cases is George Lucas going and making visual improvements on Cloud City in Empire Strikes Back. Because of technical and budget limitations they didn't have the capacity to show all the areas as George had envisioned, and they happens just as much in game development. DE literally has folders, boxes, drawers, and who knows what other storage spaces filled with documents covering ideas for all kinds of content and warframes. Probably a few napkins with wild ideas that fell behind a desk or two. 

As tech improves and they move to update to keep up with the times they will be incorporating things they had always wanted to have. I must admit at first I had strong opinions on the new art elements but they have grown on me. 

Update they just changed the knockdown recovery maneuver despite nobody asking for anything like it and it feels horrible and clunky now. Also scorpions pulling you to places that make absolutely no sense, gj DE

Edited by Learicorn

2 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

I agree, the UI hasn't been good since Markus Antonius was leading the Gaul Wars. It's really been downhill since then

I like how you tried to make an ok boomer joke and and instead highlighted exactly just how long the ui has been a greebled overclicky mess.

• Like 1