Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

State of Archwing, the good, the ugly and the majestic

Roble_Viejo

Everytime I play the Salacia Archwing Mobile Defense mission in Neptune for Cryptographic ALU to fight the Razorback armada I feel like the whole feel of archwing is different, and now that I think about it, I might have played like 8 different iterations of the system since the first time I fought the Razorback.
  Don't get me wrong, I applaud DE's will to keep old content alive, and honestly is the best version of Archwing I've used and I think is ok how it is now, but like I always say "the content is piling up" the meta relevance doesn't go backwards so old nodes, missions and systems become irrelevant. 

But you know what noone is talking about? How Railjack makes Archwings a VITAL component in their gameplay, to the point you can upgrade Archwing speed, power, strength and more with perks in you Railjack progression, and regardless Archwing itself has nothing to do with Railjack at all. It still has no relevant rewards besides Cryptographic ALU (which should drop in Railjack too imo), has bad tilesets like Corpus's broken ships corridors nightmare, Grineer's boring floating potatoes and don't get me started in Uranus Sharkwing missions and their broken spawns and awful maps. But I repeat, Archwing space controls feel best than ever. And for some reason these missions have a hidden affinity nerf or something, this is Salacia with a resource booster and killing everything in sight: https://i.imgur.com/ssVZ0Po.mp4

First I'm gonna be nostalgic and show you a screenshot from 5 years ago showing how MAJESTIC is Archwing for a new player:

ZHa0lwE.jpg.

Seeing Saturn from space blew my #*!%ing mind! This was posted in Facebook 5 years ago, I was farming the whole night to get the Archwings and I literally went from seeing Saturn from inside the ship to be very close to its rings! I was stunned! I started fantasizing about landing my Orbiter in planets, chasing comets and stuff. But every Archwing mission is still about narrow corridors or repetitive asteroids. Railjack is an improvement, but Archwing itself is still an irrelevant system. I want to see more of the planets, I want to feel like I'm actually travelling across the Solar System DE! Please! 

Ideas:
- Railjack resources integrated into Archwing missions across the whole system. 
- Make it so you can access Archwing missions from Railjack console. 
- Fix affinity in regular Archwing missions (Railjack is fine I think)
- Let the Omni tool teleport the user back and forth (if Scotty can beam you up he sure can beam you back!)
- This would open new possibilities for Archwing missions, like getting inside a massive ship to dismantle its shields and use your Railjack to finish it off and succeed the mission.
- Give us an upgrade based Archwing-Railjack relationship. Like Exilus mods for the Archwing that let you do Railjack stuff. Imagine being able to build your Archwing so you can repair the Railjack from the outside, or transfer shields to it to support the pilot from the outside, or something like auras that give more fire power to turrets when you are near, or mods that change your blink to a grapple that attaches you to Railjack or enemy ships.
- Maybe drop Archwing parts in Railjack missions?
- Make Space a part of Railjack and Archwing, lets us see planets. There are hundred of amazing things in our solar system. Imagine chasing a comet, or flying right above the rings of Saturn, or in the eternal storm that is Jupiter, hell imagine being able to park your Railjack in open world areas, that would be the S#&$! We already use Archwing there.

Thanks for reading! 
  I also want to say that the DE's attitude is still the best from any developer, of course they have their flaws like all humans, but they are still working their asses off. 
  And Scott's podcast with partners together with the PBE server are two huge steps in the right direction. Now the guiding compass needs to shift from new content, to revamped systems. 
  Ropes, not Sticks. Cohesion not adherence. 

• Like 4

are you using some kind of sweetfx or enb for these screenshots?

Anyway, if you like archwing you probably already know that every archwing aspect is going to be reworked and archwings themselves will become modular in nature

I'd like to take an opportunity to disclose a missed opportunity waiting for a little TLC. 

Archwing close air support is incredibly fun to do on open world maps. Sniping from up high or raining down grenades and rockets on infantry below. 

A pity the missiles and aerial torpedoes of the Archwing abilities do so little damage the grineer and corpus joke they are mere mosquito bites. 

The issue with AW is deeper than that. The missions and the tile assets look ok and there is a decent weaponry variety. However AW is flawed deeply in the sense that the content gets almost instantly bland and old. If AW missions were merged into RJ we would all die from boredom. A lot of content added in the past suffered from that, aka getting old instantly despite the polish, and it was because the content was messy crap there was not even necessarily bug or even balance issues.

AW missions are in a stupid state, it is dead content nobody cares about(have you ever seen a partner video featuring amazing AW adventures ^^?), but it is in the game. When we had the AW trailer the hype was insane while the release was a big "mêeeh", I'd think that DE would have removed those planet nodes already if there was no fear of community backfire.

In the other hand I find AW gameplay pretty engaging in Railjack.

agree with OP. honestly, I think Archwing by itself is hopeless, but as a part of the Railjack Experience, it really adds something. they just need more of a purpose than merely taxiing us between the Railjack and Objectives; something like using Archwing to scout around in places where the Railjack is too large to fit. convert existing Archwing missions into regular missions, or remove the nodes entirely. Cryptographic-ALU can be given to regular Corpus enemies instead (which would tie in with the remastered Corpus Ship tileset missions that DE worked so hard on.)

3 hours ago, Roble_Viejo said:

Seeing Saturn from space blew my #*!%ing mind! This was posted in Facebook 5 years ago, I was farming the whole night to get the Archwings and I literally went from seeing Saturn from inside the ship to be very close to its rings! I was stunned! I started fantasizing about landing my Orbiter in planets, chasing comets and stuff. But every Archwing mission is still about narrow corridors or repetitive asteroids. Railjack is an improvement, but Archwing itself is still an irrelevant system. I want to see more of the planets, I want to feel like I'm actually travelling across the Solar System DE! Please! 

Ideas:
- Railjack resources integrated into Archwing missions across the whole system. 
- Make it so you can access Archwing missions from Railjack console. 
- Fix affinity in regular Archwing missions (Railjack is fine I think)
- Let the Omni tool teleport the user back and forth (if Scotty can beam you up he sure can beam you back!)
- This would open new possibilities for Archwing missions, like getting inside a massive ship to dismantle its shields and use your Railjack to finish it off and succeed the mission.
- Give us an upgrade based Archwing-Railjack relationship. Like Exilus mods for the Archwing that let you do Railjack stuff. Imagine being able to build your Archwing so you can repair the Railjack from the outside, or transfer shields to it to support the pilot from the outside, or something like auras that give more fire power to turrets when you are near, or mods that change your blink to a grapple that attaches you to Railjack or enemy ships.
- Maybe drop Archwing parts in Railjack missions?
- Make Space a part of Railjack and Archwing, lets us see planets. There are hundred of amazing things in our solar system. Imagine chasing a comet, or flying right above the rings of Saturn, or in the eternal storm that is Jupiter, hell imagine being able to park your Railjack in open world areas, that would be the S#&$! We already use Archwing there.

Yes, please.

Personally I just think something as simple as allowing void fissures, sorties and maybe even one day arbitrations on archwing nodes would go miles. Just something to keep them as a potential option for playing outside of "I specifically need something from archwing."

I really enjoy the archwing missions, especially in the current iteration, and it's a shame that there's simply no reason to play them 99.99% of the time.

En 5/5/2020 a las 8:03, Savire510 dijo:

are you using some kind of sweetfx or enb for these screenshots?

Anyway, if you like archwing you probably already know that every archwing aspect is going to be reworked and archwings themselves will become modular in nature

Nope, there is something about the old lighting that was just right