PSA: Best Practices for Account Security

Posted (edited)

Greetings Tenno,

At Digital Extremes, we take your account security very seriously, and the Corpus are very inventive in trying to get your account information.

As a best practice, you should be aware of the following:

• Digital Extremes will never send you an email from a public email domain (such as Gmail or Hotmail). If you receive an email claiming to be from Digital Extremes, make sure the sending address is either @warframe.com, @digitalextremes.com or @digitalextremes.zendesk.com (our Support site). Do not click on the links in false emails, as they can lead to bad software or password-stealing ‘spoof’ sites.
  • If you are on PC, you should make sure that Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is enabled. This is required for Trading, so be sure to protect your account! If you need more information on PC 2FA, you can read the instructions in this thread.

• If you are on Console, you should enable 2FA on your console account. Each console has a different process, and you can find that process over on this thread. Protecting your console account covers your games which automatically log in, Warframe included.

As a general rule, there are lots of good anti-virus programs out there (some of which are free), as well as some other best practices (such as using robust, unique passwords). While we cannot recommend individual programs or password managers, we highly suggest you research reputable programs and use them to protect yourself - not just in Warframe, but for your digital security as a whole.

Stay safe out there (physically and digitally), Tenno!

Edited by [DE]Bear
added @digitalextremes.zendesk.com for clarity of official email domains.
  • Like 46
  • [DE]Bear pinned and featured this topic
Just now, [DE]Bear said:

and the Corpus are very inventive in trying to get your account information.

Nef Anyo is on it again, lets raid his vaults 

stay safe ppl and dont ever trust any email that asks you to click on link 

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, [DE]Bear said:

and the Corpus are very inventive in trying to get your account information.

Bring Alerts back, boys, we need to hit the Corpus Capital Ships for everything they're worth!

• Like 2

Also note that there's a feature that allows someone to make their email address appear as something else by default, be wary and expand the details of the email to ensure it doesn't say "DEemployeename@digitalextremes.com" in one field and "asdfg9876@sketchysite.com" in the *real* field. 

• Like 7

@[DE]Bear Worth mentioning that Warframe purchase receipts come from digitalriver[.]com and not those domain names ( at least that's where I get them from ).

Just saying, as they come branded with Warframe logo. Even thou it's not a big deal since they don't have any call to action ( e.g. no "click this now" link 😉 ).

Does DE/Warframe even send any emails other than 2FA?

I would not click on any email by DE/Warframe other than if I expect a 2FA Email.

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, [DE]Bear said:

At Digital Extremes, we take your account security very seriously, and the Corpus are very inventive in trying to get your account information

Although when I reported 2 websites that illegally sell in game stuff requiring you to provide them with your login details nothing was done about it.

Edit:

First report was made in 2018, second one 6 months ago.

Edited by Ster
8 minutes ago, Vit0Corleone said:

@[DE]Bear Worth mentioning that Warframe purchase receipts come from digitalriver[.]com and not those domain names ( at least that's where I get them from ).

Just saying, as they come branded with Warframe logo. Even thou it's not a big deal since they don't have any call to action ( e.g. no "click this now" link 😉 ).

@Kylo. This for example. Purchase receipts and sometimes updates for big content.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ster said:

Although when I reported 2 websites that illegally sell in game stuff requiring you to provide them with your login details nothing was done about it.

DE has no authority to take down web sites.

All they can do is reach out to authorities who do have it, which some times are limited in what they can do for various reasons, such as bullet proof hosting of web sites in dodgy places where digital law is either non existent or not enforced.

That's not to say you shouldn't report them. You definitely should. Just don't blame DE if there's no action, as it is largely not under their control.

Edited by Vit0Corleone
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, Vit0Corleone said:

DE has no authority to take down web sites.

well that's odd becouse after I reported one of the websites the portion of it that offered warframe related items was literally blank for some period of time.

What's the point of reporting something and recieving info that they will "look in to it" it they can't do anything ?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Ster said:

well that's odd becouse after I reported one of the websites the portion of it that offered warframe related items was literally blank for some period of time.

What's the point of reporting something and recieving info that they will "look in to it" it they can't do anything ?

It's not odd. Sometimes is fast, some times is slow, sometimes nothing happens.

DE aren't law enforcement, they can't just go around taking down web sites.

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, [DE]Bear said:

If you are on PC, you should make sure that Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is enabled. This is required for Trading, so be sure to protect your account!

Can we, please, get proper 2FA? Getting a code in the same email we use to login isn't great and on top of that it offers no protection for people who share a PC or simply don't live alone. I have 2FA active and it has never triggered so if a family member finds my password there is nothing stopping them from getting into my account and causing harm.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Vit0Corleone said:

This is very true. In most (if not all of these cases) the user is aware of the transaction with the payment partner (in this case Digital River) so it should not be too much of a surprise.

It always pays to double-check if you are unsure. Err on the side of caution.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Grav_Starstrider said:

Also note that there's a feature that allows someone to make their email address appear as something else by default, be wary and expand the details of the email to ensure it doesn't say "DEemployeename@digitalextremes.com" in one field and "asdfg9876@sketchysite.com" in the *real* field. 

Don't even trust those unless you're sure. I don't know if that's still the case, but it used to be possible to just use certain software to send mails from fake addresses (including real ones that already exist, because you're not required to ask their permission with said program to send your mails), so it was perfectly possible to send mail from 100% legit-looking addresses. There are/were means to officially apply to some service for a monthly pay or something to have a verified mail, just like there are verified domains, but long story short, the internet's not a safe place.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...