Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bringing Back Misery. As An AFK Assassin.

Well for starters Misery hasn’t been around for quite a while since his first appearance. And so I’m thinking he gain a pretty much important role as his return. Being the one who hunts down AFKers. How? Basically goes like this:

1). A player goes AFK. 

2). 1 minute later Misery pops up.

3). Misery attempts to kill AFKer.

4). If successful, the AFKer/player dies permanently. As in no revives. Which means no rewards.

Now Misery won’t just target any player. Certain thing would need to be met, like completing the second dream and such. But afterward he will appear every time a player goes AFK. 

Now he won’t be invincible. He is killable. So as long as the AFK knows how to take him out or has a good squad, then there is nothing for them to worry about. Unless of course the squad doesn’t like AFKers. Misery can spawn up to 4 times for each player that goes AFK and are killed. If Misery gets killed, he won’t respond for the rest of the mission. 

Abilities for Misery are pretty simple. He is Nekros after all. Maybe to make him unique he would create his own shadows of the dead that are copies of warframes? Just to make the whole thing interesting. He also wields a Scythe that can deal 33% damage of your overall health. In other words, three strikes and you’re out, for good. 

Open world maps count as well, with the added bonus of spawning if you stand or walk to close to the door/gate. Basically a green circle 🟢 appears around the door/gate and standing or walking within that circle for 1 minute will count as AFK, no rewards for completed stages, and will cause Misery to spawn. And if killed by Misery and the mission doesn’t end soon, no completion rewards. 

He is an acolyte and a Nekros. He is basically the Grim Reaper of tennos. So being the grim reaper of AFKers would be a nice, punishing, suitable role for him. 

Why this post? Well, like most people, I’m sick of AFKers. And simply missing out on some small reward is not enough punishment for me. Especially if all they need to do is take a few steps to claim them. Misery spawning would make them take more than a few steps. They will be hauling off like a rhino charge infused Mach Rush boosted by Volt Speed. And if they die, oh well, shouldn’t be going AFK and holding other players back. 

• Like 2

Perma death , no rewards after just 1 minute of AFK sounds good how ?

What if a guy needed to go AFK for reason other then atempting to "leech" , I konw AFK'ers are a problem we have but this suggestion is just terrible.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, bad4youLT said:

Perma death , no rewards after just 1 minute of AFK sounds good how ?

What if a guy needed to go AFK for reason other then atempting to "leech" , I konw AFK'ers are a problem we have but this suggestion is just terrible.

Then oh well. You stop in the middle of call of duty, you die, a lot. You stop in the middle of a lot of different games, you lose a lot more than just a chance at some rewards. This game shouldn’t be much different. 

If you are gonna have to go afk out of nowhere, then don’t go into a mission during public games. Or abort/leave. Or hope you have squad full of buddies to carry you.

The chances of you having to go afk out of nowhere is slim compared to how often people go afk to leech. I’ve seen it all. There has NEVER been some unintended afk during my whole time playing this game. How do I know? Cause they always move right when the bounties are over and we are leaving. Every time I’ve used Loki to teleport them to the objective they ran back to hide. Every time a new portal to the next zone opens. 

Every single time. Not one time have I encountered a player sitting still and not avoiding death or loss. They always moved when it was convenient. So no. The chances of Misery killing an innocent AFKer is very slim compared to full on Leechers. 

And again, he is fully capable of being killed by your squad. If you’re gonna put your controller down, then be prepared for consequences like if it was any other game. Except you have an actual chance of getting away with AFKing. by killing Misery the first time.

That whole “what if so and so has to do this” excuse is old. It never happened with me and it according to like hundreds of people who play this game, they rarely encounter an AFKer who wasn’t a leech. 

If you’re gonna be AFK, don’t play the mission. DE added solo extraction for endless missions. So one minute on the extraction and you’ll avoid permanent death. 

If I ended up dying and losing out on rewards because I chose not to leave the mission when I had the chance, then it would be my fault. There were times when I had to put the controller down. I was quick to return. And I only did it in a squad that I knew would have my back. Not in public games. In public games I’ve left early when I had to put the controller down. 

1 player’s newbie of a loss should not outweigh the dozens of leechers. And I have buddies who had to go AFK a few times and even they agreed with this idea. Heck, they think it would funny to be chased by Misery. 

Just now, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Then oh well. You stop in the middle of call of duty, you die, a lot. You stop in the middle of a lot of different games, you lose a lot more than just a chance at some rewards. This game shouldn’t be much different. 

If you are gonna have to go afk out of nowhere, then don’t go into a mission during public games. Or abort/leave. Or hope you have squad full of buddies to carry you.

The chances of you having to go afk out of nowhere is slim compared to how often people go afk to leech. I’ve seen it all. There has NEVER been some unintended afk during my whole time playing this game. How do I know? Cause they always move right when the bounties are over and we are leaving. Every time I’ve used Loki to teleport them to the objective they ran back to hide. Every time a new portal to the next zone opens. 

Every single time. Not one time have I encountered a player sitting still and not avoiding death or loss. They always moved when it was convenient. So no. The chances of Misery killing an innocent AFKer is very slim compared to full on Leechers. 

And again, he is fully capable of being killed by your squad. If you’re gonna put your controller down, then be prepared for consequences like if it was any other game. Except you have an actual chance of getting away with AFKing. by killing Misery the first time.

That whole “what if so and so has to do this” excuse is old. It never happened with me and it according to like hundreds of people who play this game, they rarely encounter an AFKer who wasn’t a leech. 

If you’re gonna be AFK, don’t play the mission. DE added solo extraction for endless missions. So one minute on the extraction and you’ll avoid permanent death. 

If I ended up dying and losing out on rewards because I chose not to leave the mission when I had the chance, then it would be my fault. There were times when I had to put the controller down. I was quick to return. And I only did it in a squad that I knew would have my back. Not in public games. In public games I’ve left early when I had to put the controller down. 

1 player’s newbie of a loss should not outweigh the dozens of leechers. And I have buddies who had to go AFK a few times and even they agreed with this idea. Heck, they think it would funny to be chased by Misery. 

Consider:

Bathroom emergency.

Almost certainly takes longer than a single minute and probably shouldn't be punished for an otherwise-active player.

DE could just introduce votekick system that's only activated when a player has been afk for a minute. And the kick wouldn't abort the mission for afk player, but instead send him into his own session, like when host migration occurs.

• Like 1

Bad idea, We already has afk timer that prevent the player getting rewards and it work, and if someone try to bypass that by macro you can report the player to support.

for people saying Vote kick, smh do people think before typing and not realize how easy to abuse this, like get 3 friend you can always kick the 4th guy, causing more problems than fixing it. There will be people dedicated to kicking people for fun if vote kick exist here, de at least know better by not implementing it.

12 minutes ago, Cobalt313 said:

Consider:

Bathroom emergency.

Almost certainly takes longer than a single minute and probably shouldn't be punished for an otherwise-active player.

Again. Oh well. Many times I’ve had to put my controller down and lost. Like a time where I found multiple rare medallions during a rescue syndicate. Was gone to the bathroom for a while. Came back to the mission failed. I was playing solo. 

The chances of you having to go to the bathroom is slim. And you would have to really go, as in a giant D, to put your controller down while still in a mission. And that is still slim unless you have problems and need a doctor. 

And that shouldn’t outweigh the Leechers. Call of Duty shouldn’t make you invincible just cause you put your controller down. Neither should warframe. And the death toll caused by Misery would not be even close to the death toll caused by anything else in the game. 

Those are lame excuses. You make it sound like people have to go to the bathroom 24/7. Again, I don’t encounter AFKers in a bathroom. I never did. All were leechers. Read my response to another comment above. 

Bathroom breaks is no excuse. And doubt you’ll be killed by Misery more often than any other assassin, boss, or difficult mission. Unless you’re a frequent AFKer. If so, then this definitely is needed until you learn to stop playing the game during times of... crisis... You do in any other game. Except other games you’re sometimes forced to wait way longer than in warframe. 

4 hours ago, --DSP--Jetstream said:

for people saying Vote kick, smh do people think before typing and not realize how easy to abuse this, like get 3 friend you can always kick the 4th guy, causing more problems than fixing it. There will be people dedicated to kicking people for fun if vote kick exist here, de at least know better by not implementing it.

How do you abuse a system where voting for kick can start only after player has been considered afk by the game? Smh people don't read properly before typing their copy-paste opinions.

Edited by Xaero

7 hours ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Well for starters Misery hasn’t been around for quite a while since his first appearance. And so I’m thinking he gain a pretty much important role as his return. Being the one who hunts down AFKers. How? Basically goes like this:

1). A player goes AFK. 

2). 1 minute later Misery pops up.

3). Misery attempts to kill AFKer.

4). If successful, the AFKer/player dies permanently. As in no revives. Which means no rewards.

This idea is good in theory, but in execution it needs a lot of work. How you determine "AFK" before the minute timer counts down? What if a leech/abuser is using keyboard macros? Is it really fair to do this to players that say, face an emergency in real life, which are theoretically impossible to distinguish from abusers?

5 hours ago, IgnisWings said:

This idea is good in theory, but in execution it needs a lot of work. How you determine "AFK" before the minute timer counts down? What if a leech/abuser is using keyboard macros? Is it really fair to do this to players that say, face an emergency in real life, which are theoretically impossible to distinguish from abusers?

Well for starters those leechers would have to make sure they are moving. Which would easily reveal them to be intentional. But many of them don’t pay attention to time so it would be a while before any expert leecher comes around to avoid Misery.

Also, this is mostly for higher level public games. Lower level is usually full of newbies who may have not fully adjusted to the game. But by the time they reach higher levels, they should be well adapted into the game. Don’t be carried into a mission you’re not ready for. Like any other game. No other game softens up just cause a few players can’t handle it. Warframe shouldn’t go easy on them either. Or else they will never learn and leechers will continue to exploit such an easy to exploit game. 

Also, it doesn’t matter how important real life is. You put the controller down in the middle of any other game like Call of Duty, you will get slaughtered. And many of those games can take a while to reach the end. Warframe is a pretty fast paced game. So one mission fail or incompletion wouldn’t do much to you, especially if you’re not doing anything anyways for whatever “emergencies” you encounter. So your presence only burden other players. If the emergency is that bad, the mission would be over regardless, unless you’re in a created squad playing an endless mission. Which you would still miss out on a lot regardless, if you take too long. 

This addition would affect me sometimes. And I don’t play long missions with a buddy being afk. And they understand that. It would be a waste of my time waiting for any of them to move. If DE got rid of double doors and made the extraction timer start with one player in non-endless missions, I wouldn’t care as much. 

These “emergency” excuses don’t work on any other game. You can’t tell the entire COD to just cease fire because of your “emergency”. Same thing should be done with warframe. 

This would reduce AFKers. Not completely prevent them. To completely prevent them, DE would have to make many changes that AFKers and newbies will not agree to. Such as:

Open World Maps having a green circle around the door/gate that counts as afk when inside for 1 minute. Many AFKers just stand by the door/gate and don’t move until everybody else tries to leave. For the bounties themselves, a timer between each bounty based on distance. That would require DE organizing the stages location to not be spread so far from each other and measure the distance. It takes 1 second to run 10 meters. So 600 meters would be 60 seconds. Unless you’re a newbie who doesn’t know how to simply run/sprint. And if you’re not inside the circle by then, it would count as AFK no matter what you do unless you finally step in. And you’ll have to be inside the circle for roughly 30 seconds to count if the afk timer runs out. If the objective is completed before the afk timer runs out, then you still get the rewards. 

The only people who would struggle with this change are the newbies. But many AFKers will try to make dozens of excuses for why they slacked off. Doesn’t matter. You slack off, you lose rewards. Period. 

Other missions would be a bit more complicated. Such as adding a circle like the bounties into mobile defense. If you’re not inside them for at least 30 seconds each console, then you don’t get the completion reward. Or Misery comes out and hunts you. Consoles take over a minute to complete, no excuse on being late unless you’re a newbie. 

Exterminate would have to be a sort of room by room, kill by kill, kind of set up. Like if you’re damaging an enemy the timer never starts. Once you stop damaging enemies, the timer does start but resets per room. So no amounts of moving will matter if you’re sitting in the same room not damaging anybody. So Misery would spawn. 

Survival would probably require inactivity/no damaging for roughly 2-3 minutes. Seems pretty long but I’ve encountered moments when no enemies spawned because they were all going somewhere else. But many AFKers will hide somewhere unreachable to enemies. And not shoot. 

Defense would probably have a much larger circle that teammates staying outside for like say 2-3 minutes would spawn Misery. Cause most AFKers like to hide far outside of the map. Away from the defense. This would force them to be in the line of fire. 

Again. These wouldn’t completely prevent leechers from exploiting loopholes. But it would definitely make things more difficult for them. While the more lazier ones will having more to worry about. 

If you read my responses above, I mentioned that I’ve NEVER encountered an afker that had an “emergency”. How do I know? Cause they always moved when it was convenient. Such as returning to Cetus or Fortuna. Such as going through sanctuary portal. Every time I used a disarming Loki build and switch teleported them to the middle of the map where the objective is, they ran back to their hiding place. None of them ever just went down. They moved when it was convenient. Sometimes Stalker spawned and had them on the run. 

Plus, it doesn’t matter what emergency you have. If it will stop you from playing the game, then don’t go into a mission. Otherwise Misery would be knocking on your door. No different than if you stopped mid game in many other games. 

Players should take responsibility. 1 innocent AFKer doesn’t outweigh the leechers that exploit the afk system. Especially in bounties. 

And this suggestion would simply reduce them. The only people that would have a problem with this suggestion, are frequent AFKers. Which is a problem. Many dudes who sometimes go AFK, agreed with me about this suggestion and even said it may be fun. Sort of like “having your own Mr. X” or something? 

I have gone AFK many times before. And I’MMM making this post. That should say a lot. And I have many people who have sometimes gone AFK. And there is no sign of them stopping cause of, like you said, “emergencies”. Yet they agreed that I should make this post. So I did.

Just so you know, I don’t make posts without asking people I know who play this game, how they feel about the idea. 

8 hours ago, Xaero said:

How do you abuse a system where voting for kick can start only after player has been considered afk by the game? Smh people don't read properly before typing their copy-paste opinions.

They’ll still use the same excuse they are using against this post. People just want to be allowed to go afk and reap the benefits. 

I like the idea of dealing with AFK players in manners like this. However, if this is the case he shouldn't drop rewards if killed because it's a sure fire way of spawning him.

But I disagree with not allowing players to respawn, sometimes things happen in the middle of the game and players may need to afk for a moment. It shouldn't cost a revive at all imo.

17 hours ago, PurrrningBoop said:

This idea, if implemented, will only increase AFK in Pugs.

Please, do not make leeching and AFK into a usefull feature.

this can be fixed by not letting them drop awards although its better off if they make a new enemy in general

If the goal is to punish people for going AFK...and discourage people from wanting to fight Misery to get loot, just give Misery no drop table, and a countdown soft warning, where an idle player will "feel their presence" so if the return to the mission and move out of some range, they will get attacked....or even abducted from the mission like with Zanuka attacks.

Honestly though, AFK is only a problem in endless missions when you are running with randos. If you are running with your friends, and they need to go to the bathroom or something, penilzing the team for covering them would be counterproductive. Moreover...if the AFK time frame is like 2 minutes, it would already be past the time that a player could be replaced if it happened at the beginning og the match...well unless it were a sabotage mission, cause I think those are check point based.

I would likely be one of those players that would intentionally try to summon Misery, but I would do that in solo missions if I wanted to fight them that badly.