Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ember and Augur Set Bonus / Brief Respite

Berzerkules

Casting Ember's 4 (Inferno) does not provide shields when using Augur Set mods or Brief Respite. It says energy drain of 0 so it's probably not a bug but working as intended. However, at base 100% efficiency It does say 10 energy/target.  Augur set bonus says energy spent on abilities is converted to shields and as long as at least one enemy is hit by inferno energy is being spent. 

Since energy drain on Inferno is based off of how many enemies hit, Ember is missing out on a great way to regen shields and reset her shield gate. Even if it's working as intended, I feel that with the addition of shield gating, Ember is being gimped with only one real option to take advantage of these mods. That would be using her 3 (Fire Blast). When you use Fire Blast you lower your Immolation level and that reduces your damage reduction. So, by resetting your shield gate or generating shields you reduce your damage reduction. You lose the effectiveness of your tank ability when you need it most. 

Inferno could be really strong at shield regen, if it worked. If you had base efficiency Inferno cost 10 energy/target, hitting 10 targets would give 150 shields. I doubt most Ember's are running base efficiency, since it is difficult to maintain Immolation energy drain without high efficiency. I run 175% efficiency so inferno is 2.5 energy/target. If Brief Respite worked and I hit 10 targets it would regen 37.5 shields. That does not seem like an unreasonably large op number. Seems to be on par with the shield regen of any other frame using Brief Respite when activating their 4th ability. 

Wasn't sure if a bug or not so I just posted here instead of bug report section. 

Edited by Berzerkules
  • Like 4

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2021-01-14 at 6:04 PM, coreyano said:

Hmmm...must b another thread for this. I thought there'd b100 replies

i wondered about that too, but no... and i guess DE 'cheated' us about the 'bonus' from those mods by simply make her 4th not cost any energy to cast... at least not if there isn't any target in range... sounds like that doesn't matter? well, i'd say it does since it obviously uses a different method when it comes to detract energy - otherwise, even an 'empty' cast of her 4th would cost energy.

imo, that was either a very cheap and sneaky way of DE to prevent ember from getting a lot of overshield constantly (tough back then whe they changed her , yet again, we still had no shield gating that would make those mods shine in a way they do now) or a very silly oversight that they still haven't fixed (also something that might be the case since there are other 'inconsistencies' in warframe).

in any case, DE should make this clear or fix it up, if unintended - this way, when every hopefull ember-player has to find out her/himself they they were screwed with, just unnecessarily annoys them. and lets face it: even with overshield possible from those mods and the shield-gating making them even more usefull, ember won't be the over-nuker like saryn in high-level conditions, even with her 3rd ability (which does profit from those mods btw) to strip the armor from high-lvl grineer in one cast (at 90% heat). one example yet, of a frame that does profit from the combination of augur/brief respite and the shield gate mechanic: khora with her 1st ability in focus. when you play her with that, you can easily whip through steel path alone and/or for long runs in there without getting downed (well, as long as you don't get knocked down by something and then killed before getting up again ^^)

• Like 1

I've observed this lack of interaction as well. It is a real shame because Ember is a prime candidate for shield gating on inferno builds, without relying on exploitive decaying key strategies. 

It doesn't really make sense that it doesn't work too, when you think about it. Brief Respite and the Augur sets say they return shields based on energy used so Inferno should certainly be included. Just because it has variable energy cost doesn't mean it should not interact with these mods.

• Like 2

Ember can get and keep 90% damage reduction practically infinitely.

Exploit Immolation with Fire Blast and Inferno.

Here's how: Immolation's max energy drain takes a set amount of time to ramp up to max (about 10 or 15 seconds), and that time is reset every time you cast Fire Blast. So, you cast Inferno to your heart's content, constantly, spam it to heck. And when the energy drain starts to ramp up, Fire Blast. The Immolation meter will instantly return to max, but the energy drain will return to its low cost/second and take time to ramp up again. This ensures that every Fire Blast strips 100% of armor, Inferno always does max damage, and Immolation is effectively always at max. So you just reset Immolation's high energy drain with Fire Blast every 10 or 15 seconds.

My build: Aura: Whatever, I use Brief Respite because Immolation affects shields as well, and Fire Blast does generate shield.

Umbral Vitality, Umbral Intensify, Adaptation, Primed Flow, Fleeting Expertise (Rank 4), Streamline (Rank 4), Primed Continuity, Primed Sure Footed, and Any Augment you wish.

I also subsumed over Fireball with Dispensary (Because I have an unhealthy obsession with Dispensary). Dispensary also generates shield.

Edited by xZeromusx

16 hours ago, xZeromusx said:

Ember can get and keep 90% damage reduction practically infinitely.

Exploit Immolation with Fire Blast and Inferno.

Here's how: Immolation's max energy drain takes a set amount of time to ramp up to max (about 10 or 15 seconds), and that time is reset every time you cast Fire Blast. So, you cast Inferno to your heart's content, constantly, spam it to heck. And when the energy drain starts to ramp up, Fire Blast. The Immolation meter will instantly return to max, but the energy drain will return to its low cost/second and take time to ramp up again. This ensures that every Fire Blast strips 100% of armor, Inferno always does max damage, and Immolation is effectively always at max. So you just reset Immolation's high energy drain with Fire Blast every 10 or 15 seconds.

My build: Aura: Whatever, I use Brief Respite because Immolation affects shields as well, and Fire Blast does generate shield.

Umbral Vitality, Umbral Intensify, Adaptation, Primed Flow, Fleeting Expertise (Rank 4), Streamline (Rank 4), Primed Continuity, Primed Sure Footed, and Any Augment you wish.

I also subsumed over Fireball with Dispensary (Because I have an unhealthy obsession with Dispensary). Dispensary also generates shield.

This is correct but doesn't change the fact that brief respite/augur set not working with Inferno is a PITA.

It still doesn't work to this day because Ember's Inferno has, as you figured out years back, no energy drain by default and brief respite/augur mods do not care about extra drain to generate shields, such as that of channeled abilities or in the case of Inferno, drain per target.