Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tainted Shell Is Useless

Boondorl

Seriously, this mod is the king of useless.

The glaringly obvious problem is the fact that shotguns have damage drop off, making the accuracy a non issue to begin with (hence why Vicious Spread is basically just free damage). This mod is so situational it hurts.

The other reason is the polarity. If you're going to give it such a high cost, why use the most useless polarity for weapons in the game? Who in their right mind would add a D polarity when the only other thing it can use is Chilling Grasp or that useless as sh!t Crowd Control? Slapping it on the Boar Prime is a terrible idea because of the limited "non-essential" mod space as is. Hek and Sobek are already accurate enough. Strun shoots so many pellets it doesn't matter. At least change it to a - polarity.

Until damage drop off is removed (seriously, why the f*ck is this even still in the game?), this mod remains on the shelf collecting dust with Crowd Control. The idea is nice, but completely unnecessary due to the way shotguns work currently.

Edited by Boondorl

1) The mods are designed to be niche and situational.

If it doesnt fit your playstyle, noone's forcing you to use it.

2) If everything just had a V Polarity, why do we even bother with different polarities, just make one and be done with it!?

I hope they introduce a lot more D-Polarity mods to weapons, because so far their hasn't really been a great many and some weapons come with one D-Polarity out of the box and you have nothing useful to put there.

• 3 weeks later...

alright, since i kinda want to use tainted shell on all my shotguns (and not to offset the spread increase of vicious spread) i'd ask for a wee bit range increase until the sharp damage dropoff comes into play. cause - you know - the "situational niche" this mod is for is well placed shots at at least some distance with increased accuracy and lower firerate and all that... and also taking into account how this is the most expensive shotgun mod, it kinda should be viable at what it does.

but apart from that, are people using it currently? i do like i said, tried it in most shotguns and will be using forma to get a proper sobek and boar prime build with it. it "feels" good, i guess, but not having tested it in high level stuff i can't say if the accuracy can make up for the fire rate debuff. what i can say is that the damage dropoff feels a lot more pronounced because i naturally try to engage at greater distances. so how about some reports on its performance?

Edited by SlyBoots

I challenge the notion of this being the king of useless with the intruder mod, or warm coat. (But yes, this is probably one of the "useless" mods)

Gotta say hollow point is the most useless corrupted mod, none of the pistols have good base crit dmg or chance to offset the neg dmg on this mod.

Useless? YOU are useless, this mod allows you to put all the pellets in weakspot for whooping damage.

Also, just when they added some mods to d-polarity, you want it to become useless again? Nice logic. mate. Why won't we measure everything in v-polartities then?

Edited by Icouldjustkissyou

I hope they introduce a lot more D-Polarity mods to weapons, because so far their hasn't really been a great many and some weapons come with one D-Polarity out of the box and you have nothing useful to put there.

V polarity mods for frames, too. Currently theres only three or four V mods for frames. I had polarized Ash recently because of this.

Useless? YOU are useless, this mod allows you to put all the pellets in weakspot for whooping damage.

Also, just when they added some mods to d-polarity, you want it to become useless again? Nice logic. mate. Why won't we measure everything in v-polartities then?

I think the OP was referring to the fact that, you can STILL "put all the pellets in weakspot for whooping damage" just by firing up close. And if you are firing from far away, even though your bullets are now grouped for more damage with Tainted Shell, you still do LESS damage because the damage decreases the farther away from the target.

Basically the OP is saying why use it (thus it's useless), when you already can do a lot of damage in tight grouping UP CLOSE, but when it would really shine (at long range), the damage drop off negates the extra pellets that would hit while using the mod. So the slot cost to equip is better spent on other damage mods instead...

Edited by Lensman

To me, I don't think Tainted Shell is useless. Frankly, it is perfect for fast firing shotguns that could use some tone down, like the Sobek and the Boar series. The mod makes the shots more accurate especially in automatic firing.

Boar prime needs 7 of its 8 mod slots on damage mods to be competitive, leaving 1 more for either tainted shell or ammo mutation. Considering how quickly the boar prime chews through ammo, I think we can guess which one is better. 

Seriously, this mod is the king of useless.

The glaringly obvious problem is the fact that shotguns have damage drop off, making the accuracy a non issue to begin with (hence why Vicious Spread is basically just free damage). This mod is so situational it hurts.

The other reason is the polarity. If you're going to give it such a high cost, why use the most useless polarity for weapons in the game? Who in their right mind would add a D polarity when the only other thing it can use is Chilling Grasp or that useless as sh!t Crowd Control? Slapping it on the Boar Prime is a terrible idea because of the limited "non-essential" mod space as is. Hek and Sobek are already accurate enough. Strun shoots so many pellets it doesn't matter. At least change it to a - polarity.

Until damage drop off is removed (seriously, why the f*ck is this even still in the game?), this mod remains on the shelf collecting dust with Crowd Control. The idea is nice, but completely unnecessary due to the way shotguns work currently.

Damage dropoff is in the game because HERP DERP BULLETS = HITSCAN!!!1!!1

Also, just when they added some mods to d-polarity, you want it to become useless again?

could you please elaborate on how you've come to the conclusion that by removing the damage dropoff via this mod (as is the suggestion of the op) it then becomes useless?

Edited by SlyBoots

could you please elaborate on how you've come to the conclusion that by removing the damage dropoff via this mod (as is the suggestion of the op) it then becomes useless?

OP has suggested the mod be changed to a - polarity. There by nerfing any D slot used to a mod people will keep at min rank any ways just for the slow effect(Cry rounds), over something that might be unique like Tainted Shell. 

See? He's complaining D polarized slots are useless, and yet wants to change a unique and potentially worth using D polarity mod to a bar polarity. 

His bad attitude doesn't help either with clarity. 

@OP

If Shotguns hit at all ranges then they would be ridiculously overpowered. Why use any Sniper Rifle when the Hek's tight packing will work better/Faster/with less awkwardness. Look at the Brakk for an example. A semi tight packing, high damage, massive multishot creating pellet clouds. It can kill anything fast from anywhere but the far end of long range. And even then a cloud of pellets might be better than trying to aim single bullets at foes. Making the mod reduce falloff though(Or adding a mod that does that.), would be a great idea.