Jump to content

Self-stagger? Really?


Psychotoxin
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, Correct me if I'm wrong, but self-staggering on blast procs wasn't a thing some time ago, right?

I decided to give a go to my Despair that's modded with blast and a high status chance, as I remember it to be a decent side-arm.

But then I made the grave mistake of shooting a grineer lancer that was right in my face...
Or shooting from the corner of a door, and clipped the said corner...
Or flung one dagger at an orokin container...
Or misclicked when my mouse slipped and hit the floor by my feet...

All of these actions made me either fly backwards, tumble to the ground, or do a very sudden and jarring block/brace animation, that stops all momentum, and interrupts all other actions.

 

40ld1o.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neither!
Why the heck does PvE need something like that?

Also - self-damage would be ok, if scaled back for the player.
And again - why the heck does a mainly PvE game needs to have that grade of penalization for powerful weapons?

P.S. Death over stagger.

I was less annoyed by dying every once in a blue moon to a freaking blast proc. not a Penta `nade.

Edited by Psychotoxin
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Psychotoxin said:

And again - why the heck does a mainly PvE game needs to have that grade of penalization for powerful weapons?

i'm all for making it optional via like, a Mod for 3.0x Final Multiplier Damage, but now your Weapon can Kill you.

Edited by taiiat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Psychotoxin said:

Neither!
Why the heck does PvE need something like that?

Also - self-damage would be ok, if scaled back for the player.
And again - why the heck does a mainly PvE game needs to have that grade of penalization for powerful weapons?

P.S. Death over stagger.

I was less annoyed by dying every once in a blue moon to a freaking blast proc. not a Penta `nade.

You have chosen death! Here is your reward.

food porn cake GIF

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Psychotoxin said:

And again - why the heck does a mainly PvE game needs to have that grade of penalization for powerful weapons?

Because if there wasn't, why in the world would you use a rifle, that hits only a single target, over an explosive weapon that deals probably even more damage than that rifle but to 4 enemies at once in its 5m radius? Competent explosive weapons will always outperform rifles, no matter how much you try to buff said rifles, because in a horde shooter the whole point is killing a bunch of enemies at once. That's why they need drawbacks. Most other games, mainly pve games, put heavy limitations around explosive weapons, especially on ammo availability and self damage. And in my honest opinion, self stagger that can be totally circumvented with a single mod is not nearly enough to have any semblance of choice in your load outs. 

  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Xaero said:

Well, you can install Primed Sure Footed on your warframe and forget about self-stagger forever (or until DE changes it).

Most people don’t have or will not have Primed Sure Footed anytime soon as it is not easily obtained so the non-primed variant is more practical.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I hadn't found a way to counteract this, I would have just quit the game right there and then, because when they first brought it in for the Staticor, which did NOT previously have self-damage, I literally couldn't figure out how to move without being unable to move for 5 seconds every 2 seconds.

So now I'm running with Constitution + Handspring. I have Handspring on every single frame's exilus slot, I don't care that there are other exilus mods because otherwise the game is literally unplayable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Psychotoxin said:

Neither!
Why the heck does PvE need something like that?

Also - self-damage would be ok, if scaled back for the player.
And again - why the heck does a mainly PvE game needs to have that grade of penalization for powerful weapons?

P.S. Death over stagger.

I was less annoyed by dying every once in a blue moon to a freaking blast proc. not a Penta `nade.

Because rules still exist, even in a game like this.

You're supposed to maintain some semblance of balance, even if it's a weak semblance.

Or else why even have natural talent? Just make everyone's animations super fast. Why have strength mods? Just give us all 300% and let us adjust the range and duration lol.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just run with [Primed Sure Footed]
8 drain when the Exilus Slot is has a forma for Vazarin is acceptable in most situations. To be honest if blast is "affecting" you like this then you aren't running frames with all slots maxed anyways. For me PSF is a close second for the best QoL mod in the game, best being [Charm] for very obvious reasons. 
If you don't have the days in to have or afford the Endo for it then [Sure Footed] is a decent replacement, most other circumstances will be too costly i.e. [Constitution] and/or [Handspring]. I also don't prefer them as I would rather not get staggered at all than have a shorter stagger. 
 

1 hour ago, Psychotoxin said:

Or shooting from the corner of a door, and clipped the said corner...
Or flung one dagger at an orokin container...
Or misclicked when my mouse slipped and hit the floor by my feet...


These all sound like player issues to me, not game issues. Best to look beyond your own personal circumstances when designing or criticizing a game.

Edited by Inspector
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Zhuinden said:

If I hadn't found a way to counteract this, I would have just quit the game right there and then, because when they first brought it in for the Staticor, which did NOT previously have self-damage, I literally couldn't figure out how to move without being unable to move for 5 seconds every 2 seconds.

So now I'm running with Constitution + Handspring. I have Handspring on every single frame's exilus slot, I don't care that there are other exilus mods because otherwise the game is literally unplayable.

Or just adapt to the change and don't run into charged shots or use melee when enemies are on top of you? The mods/abilities that prevent staggers aren't requirements to use any weapons.

 

Though worth noting in general for anyone that can't/doesn't run P.Sure Footed or any other frames/mods that Wyrm's Negate augment also prevents stagger procs. It's actually very reliable despite the 5s cooldown.

Edited by trst
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jiminez_Burial said:

Death.

Then don't shoot enemies and die until you run out of respawns and rage quit, so we don't have to hear that twisted stupid @$$ logic of it's better to kill yourself than stagger.

OH NO, I HAVE BEEN STAGGERED, WHAT A MAJOR ANNOYANCE, OH WOE IS ME WHO HAS TO WAIT TWO SECONDS INSTEAD OF DYING AND WAITING EVEN MORE SECONDS! WHAT A TERRIBLE CURSE UPON ME! WE ALL CRIED AND CRIED HOW SELF-DAMAGE WAS DETRIMENTAL TO GAMEPLAY AND NOW WHEN WE HAVE IT WE ARE GONNA CRY WHY IT GOT REMOVED!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Psychotoxin said:

But then I made the grave mistake of shooting a grineer lancer that was right in my face...
Or shooting from the corner of a door, and clipped the said corner...
Or flung one dagger at an orokin container...
Or misclicked when my mouse slipped and hit the floor by my feet...

All of these actions made me either fly backwards, tumble to the ground, or do a very sudden and jarring block/brace animation, that stops all momentum, and interrupts all other actions

Because self damage didn't kill the momentum at all.

Except it did and it since it straight up killed you.

(Tho I half agree that this wouldn't have been a problem if it would have been just damage, instead of insta kill.)

Anyways If you don't shoot the targets right in front of you this is not a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Psychotoxin said:

So, Correct me if I'm wrong, but self-staggering on blast procs wasn't a thing some time ago, right?

I decided to give a go to my Despair that's modded with blast and a high status chance, as I remember it to be a decent side-arm.

But then I made the grave mistake of shooting a grineer lancer that was right in my face...
Or shooting from the corner of a door, and clipped the said corner...
Or flung one dagger at an orokin container...
Or misclicked when my mouse slipped and hit the floor by my feet...

All of these actions made me either fly backwards, tumble to the ground, or do a very sudden and jarring block/brace animation, that stops all momentum, and interrupts all other actions.

 

40ld1o.jpg

Well, make you knockout instantly just stops your momentum and inturrupt all actions, and it actually gets even worse.

Concealed Explosive is a sad and rare example that does not kills you outright when self damage was live, though. I know the feeling for I have Hikou Prime with Concealed Explosive setting.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm glad that self damage is gone.

Do I use exclusively launchers now? No.

Nothing has changed for me, except that when I use a launcher I don't magically die, and that my teammates actually are able to do something.

I prefer 3 teammates with 10 forma+riven Bramma over 3 teammates that do nothing and leave the work to me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, (XB1)TyeGoo said:

I'm glad that self damage is gone.

Do I use exclusively launchers now? No.

Nothing has changed for me, except that when I use a launcher I don't magically die, and that my teammates actually are able to do something.

I prefer 3 teammates with 10 forma+riven Bramma over 3 teammates that do nothing and leave the work to me.

THIS. It just allow us to consider launchers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

vor 58 Minuten schrieb DroopingPuppy:

THIS. It just allow us to consider launchers.

Exactly.

The last couple threads bother me because people complain about pugs and how they're forced to use the weapons.

Meanwhile my Bramma has 0.0 to 0.1% usage because I only leveled it up, there's no need to use the weapon. 

Edit: just checked, Bramma has 0.0% usage on my account. 

Edited by (XB1)TyeGoo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Travis05 said:

I would bring back self damage. Only on bramma kuva, so people kill themselves

This...im sick of seeing Saryn Primes and Brammas like 2 each every match. For someone collecting and maxing all the Bows in the game, people kinda have me tilted on the Bramma.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2020-05-08 at 8:25 PM, Acersecomic said:

Then don't shoot enemies and die until you run out of respawns and rage quit, so we don't have to hear that twisted stupid @$$ logic of it's better to kill yourself than stagger.

???  I'm honestly not sure how you read my comment.  I was saying that out of the possible options; stagger or self damage, I would prefer self damage and therefor death.  I'm one of those people who was always against the removal of self-damage.  Having to think about your positioning in the environment and the positioning of your target added an amount of enjoyment for me.  Yes I occasionally blew myself up (sometimes multiple times a mission if I was paying too much attention to another app) but 99% of the time I realised what I did and thought "huh, well I deserved that".  Stagger can be outright removed from consideration with a number of Warframes (one being Rhino which I ran with the Bramma a lot while Lich hunting, one of the few things I could still enjoy in Warframe prior to the self-stagger update) and ending up in a common situation where the most efficient thing to do is look for red triangles on the map and then firing your explosive at the nearest wall with zero consequences (because Iron Skin) just doesn't seem like good gameplay to me, and never did.

On 2020-05-08 at 8:25 PM, Acersecomic said:

OH NO, I HAVE BEEN STAGGERED, WHAT A MAJOR ANNOYANCE, OH WOE IS ME WHO HAS TO WAIT TWO SECONDS INSTEAD OF DYING AND WAITING EVEN MORE SECONDS! WHAT A TERRIBLE CURSE UPON ME! WE ALL CRIED AND CRIED HOW SELF-DAMAGE WAS DETRIMENTAL TO GAMEPLAY AND NOW WHEN WE HAVE IT WE ARE GONNA CRY WHY IT GOT REMOVED!!

I feel you are making the mistake of thinking the Warframe community (meaning every single person in it) only ever has one opinion about things rather than each individual having their own point of view.  I always defended self-damage even years before self-stagger was publicly considered by DE, and honestly the change is one of the reasons I haven't played Warframe in months.  I don't flip-flop my opinions, and I wasn't someone who only occasionally played the game.  In the first 4 years of the game I racked up around 4k hours across multiple accounts all while having to go to school.  I stay updated about the game (and active on these forums) because I want to come back to Warframe one day, but that will only happen if DE turn away from where the game is heading - to stop casualising everything and failing to provide proper skill based difficulty (with the exception having been PT).  My opinions on the matter have stayed the same and your complaints about what (portions) of the community are saying is potentially based on nothing but assumption.

Edited by Jiminez_Burial
Fixed minor grammatical errors.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...