Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Just Hear Me Out. Grenades

Now I know we talked about this topic before but I just would like to once more. Grenades. Enemies have them while us the Tenno does not like we are too uninformed to learn the tech. Now I know there’s probably no need for them since we have powers but hear me out. If we did, we could really get creative with them. Default would cause knockdowns with small amount of ragdolling. We could mod them. Have less slots than your typical weapon.

It could have 4 slots for modding. “Grenade ammo” has a rarer chance to drop than sniper ammo. Your typical mods could be damage, range, status, augment. I feel like with 4 slots, it has room for sacrifice so it doesn’t feel overpowered without giving up one stat aspect. Like more damage mods which means you’ll have to give up range & a possible second element for a combined status. “Endgame” mods could be Warframe abilities with smaller effects. 

A couple of examples could be

Atlas: Petrify

Banshee: Sonic Boom

Excalibur: Radical Blind

Frost: Small Aoe freeze

Harrow: small aoe Condemn

Grenades could really be fun to use & it just sucks there’s not a lot of players out there backing up the idea. What you guys think?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vegetosayajin said:

They can make a secondary "grenade type" pistol but there is no need for a whole new type imo.

Id be cool with explosive throwing weapons as secondaries.
Maybe make it so the tenno lab can research a grenade bandolier? Then we can make infested, corpus, kuva, sentient, and grineer mods for it. 

1 minute ago, Rawbeard said:

what benefit does a grenade bring to a remote controlled lightning rod that moves at light speed through the enviroment?

What benefit does anything that isnt fully automatic with near-infinite clip size bring at that point, though?

Il y a 1 heure, (XB1)Cash201293 a dit :

Now I know we talked about this topic before but I just would like to once more. Grenades. Enemies have them while us the Tenno does not like we are too uninformed to learn the tech. Now I know there’s probably no need for them since we have powers but hear me out. If we did, we could really get creative with them. Default would cause knockdowns with small amount of ragdolling. We could mod them. Have less slots than your typical weapon.

Harrow: small aoe Condemn

Grenades could really be fun to use & it just sucks there’s not a lot of players out there backing up the idea. What you guys think?

Grenades are cool, there's definitely room for fun mechanics but... I wouldn't give them mods, arsenal is already hellah powerful. You could make them a limited Gear Items though with special utility effects.

We have infinite Gear Slots after all, so they could sit there. The player gets the extra utility they want at the cost of resources. No need for powerful modding sessions on these.
We can argue that having a lmited amount of mod slots and specific mods for grenades like Parazon, could make it "just fine". But I don't want anything going overboard, when it's an optional feature.

Edited by STUVash
  • Like 1

At the beginning of the game - during the "This is Stealth Ninja Game!" period - grenades would be a godsend. I can't tell you how many times I wished I'd had a couple of frags to throw into packs of Grineer or Moas.

Once you get past the "Everything I have sucks, all my mods are broken, and I only have 2 mod capacity anyway" point, things change and you just push a couple buttons to kill everyone on the map at once so you can walk to extraction. Grenades would be for little more than the lulz, in my opinion. 

Edited by Ham_Grenabe

In current game play, grenades would need to be hella powerful to even bother with, like some sort of slimmed down ultimate ability. Otherwise they would just be some extra noise in the regular spam of guns and abilities. We're talking large AOE and extended status procs.

The game however doesn't really offer situations where grenades would be of greater use. Enemies don't fortify positions and players steamroll everything regardless. If we actually had to take cover once in a while then grenades could possibly be a thing to consider. Either that or we would need enemies or structures/turrets that only grenades/explosive weapons could damage or destroy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Corvid said:

Talons... Castanas...

Neither of which are lobbed explosives. Every other throwing secondary thats 'explosive' is a 'throwing knife' kind of weapon. The only one remotely similar is the Pox, and even that is thrown like a projectile where the aim is to hit a single target with it.

1 hour ago, (PS4)ARC_Paroe said:

What benefit does anything that isnt fully automatic with near-infinite clip size bring at that point, though?

did you notice how many of those we are getting? yeah. there is a reason for that. get over it. even if your idea wasn't fundamentally flawed, this is not the game for something like it.

1 minute ago, Rawbeard said:

did you notice how many of those we are getting? yeah. there is a reason for that. get over it. even if your idea wasn't fundamentally flawed, this is not the game for something like it.

Theres nothing fundamentally flawed about throwing weapons where you throw an AoE explosive that isnt meant for hit and run stealth. To say such a thing... You must think anything that isnt a kuva bramma is superfluous and a waste of time, huh? 

S P E E D M E T A B O I S isnt the only way to play the game, in case you didnt realize. 
good god i hate using that path of exile meme outside of path of exile

Feel like grenades could be interesting. Could just have them as secondaries (which’d just be thrown explosives), or you could have them as a new weapon type. Don’t think they have to be like, super high damage though, could be used in other ways perhaps like stunning enemies or maybe guaranteeing a status proc on an enemy, like tossing a fire grenade that inflicts heat on enemies and causes them to panic or tossing a grenade to rad a group of enemies and cause them to attack one another. 

Can easily just mod weapons to do the same thing though, and i can understand people not wanting grenades in general. Enemies tend to die quite easily anyway, and dealing damage seems to be a lot better than CC nowadays in warframe. Grenades could be a neat way to finish off enemies at low health, stun enemies, inflict status conditions on them or debuff them though. 

Might just be in the minority for thinking grenades could be somewhat neat, and it’s not like extra gear would hurt us. Have them be thrown out quickly with a press of a button and maybe not having to cook the grenade to make it explode quicker would allow people to use it on the fly than having to play a long animation just to throw it. 

I really like/want grenades, but I'm not sure how to exactly fit them into our current system.

We don't really have many buttons left on controllers, so at worst put them on Gear wheel.

But if we do that, it'll be slow to access.

Don't know if it'll be launch a grenade at where you were already aiming on selection, or switch to grenades like a weapon type (like Archgun launcher).

Also do we get to mod these grenades, or will they just be a consumable item.

We already have Grenades.  They come out of these things called the Penta & Tonkor,  one could also argue they are present via Kulstar, Angstrum, Stug.  Also any other thorwing style secondary w/ Concealed Explosives added to it.  Pox - gas grenades, want timed detonation (closer to setting up a Claymore) - Castanas. 

Hard to argue the need for grenades or the creative use for them when you have so many styles of launcher and secondary 'grenade' type weapons available, especially when you have warframes w/ destructive powers that make grenades look like little pop-cap style fireworks. 

Another thing - i'm sure this is true of most groups - not just the squad i run with - but the scenario that would happen would be something along the lines of:

ME:  <Throws grenade into group of bad guys>
Badguys:  "Grenade! Down!"
Team Mates:  <proceed to kill everything>
2 seconds later...
Grenade:  <Explodes>
Me:   "Yaaaaay Grenades...." <eye roll>