Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The new speedrun Nightwave challenge is exactly what this game needed

dsagent

19 hours ago, (PS4)ARC_Paroe said:

t if it turns out 90 seconds requires a speedframe build

I did it on a void capture mission fissure, as titania.. with 20 seconds to spare. You don't need a speed 'for the memes' build with gauss or volt or anyone else. And that's with a fissure, actually aiming, and collecting stuff and opening a relic.

If you're just capturing a guy, ~45 seconds isn't hard, and they give double that.

18 hours ago, SenorClipClop said:

I understand the sentiment, but sentiments like this are often why we can't have nice things.

Devs release a challenging element to keep us entertained, a group of players complains that it's unfair because it isn't already in their comfort zone, and DE diminishes the element to the point to where it becomes trivial to those who enjoyed the original challenge. Arbitrations being the key example here.

For this 90-second Nightwave task, maybe try it before being so ready to call it bad design. It's doable without a speed setup. But even if it wasn't so doable, would it be so terrible? You don't need every challenge to get to Rank 30, and it wouldn't be much of an Elite task if any ol' Tenno did it accidentally, would it?

Any yet this type of challenge is added to the game because someone complained(?)/requested(?)/asked for this type of challenge because it was something they want/like and yet those that wanted it may be the same people claiming it is super easy and any frame can be used. If the challenge isn't that difficult then why was it added at all? Isn't the point of Nightwave challenges to be...challenging? Especially the 7k versions.

Some players apparently wanted this type of challenge...fine...but when others say it is a gear check (maybe?) or a speed meta build requirement(maybe?) challenge they are wrong because it is easy?

Some players would probably really like a 50 wave Mot Survival Nightwave challenge just so they can complain that it is too easy and DE should add some "real" challenges.

Or maybe kill all enemies in a defense mission in under 5 seconds for each wave for a total of 15 waves...

Where did the "do something for an hour with friends", etc. challenges go? Bring them back so we have 'real' challenges.

9 hours ago, (PS4)Quantaminum said:

They know the average WF player isn't good at the game.

I wasn't going to say anything like this in my initial post but I am happy someone said it eventually.

Anytime they try to add a challenge that is somewhat skillful to the game you get hordes of people complaining.

• Like 1

Nope, it's just another annoying unnecessary chore that players are forced to do, instead of being able to play the way they want. DE as usual is to damn stubborn to let players play the way they want, instead of forcing players to do what DE wants.

6 hours ago, Yannik said:

S P E E D M E T A harshly punishes people who dont or cant subscribe to it though. I havent done it yet, but if it turns out 90 seconds requires a speedframe build and a specific mission node... thats simply bad design. 

DE really shouldnt fall into the path of exile trap. 

It doesn't. You can do it even with Excalibur.

Notwithstanding the usual speed frames (volt, jetstream Zephyr, Gauss etc) have an advantage.
Or you can mod creatively and put enough power range on Rhino and watch him spam 1 through the map.
Which Excal can do the same too.

On 2020-05-12 at 5:13 PM, (PS4)ARC_Paroe said:

if it turns out 90 seconds requires a speedframe build and a specific mission node... thats simply bad design. 

I did it with a Trinity and a Corinth (not prime). It's not frame-forcing like the thrice-cursed riven challenges are. It's actually more luck-based than anything on the larger tilesets, and even then only theoretically: I got it done in a healthy 70 seconds on the Corpus Ship tileset (i.e. Phobos)

I did this challenge and yet somehow still managed to Spawn a Larving and Kill it.... Mision Time was 89 Seconds...

Im not saying it was easy... Im just saying that I didn't want to do this challenge jus for the sake of doing the challenge... that would just be Time wasted, so I figured I would Multitask and Spawn a Lich since thats what I originally had planned last night.

Funny enough... I miised the Dailey Challenge... Apperently I couldn't be bother to Swap out some mods.

This isn't even hard to do overall, even my Excalibur can do that using smart bullet jumping and comical amounts of aim-glide slash dashes.

But it is still much better than the comically tone-deaf hour long survival missions, most of which just boiled down to "Bring a Nekros and nuke the map mindlessly for 60 minutes".

I did mine with volt the first time on cassini because I didn't want to think too much

Ran the whole thing again but with khora (not a speed frame), 53 seconds

Honestly, this challenge is free standing that can be done in a minute (literally), I will take this over a lot of the other annoying time-wasting challenges

9 hours ago, fatpig84 said:

.S P E E D M E T A harshly punishes people who dont or cant subscribe to it though. I havent done it yet, but if it turns out 90 seconds requires a speedframe build and a specific mission node... thats simply bad design. 

DE really shouldnt fall into the path of exile trap. 

You don't need a speed meta build it is easy enough with an unranked frame I did it with Nidus in 60 seconds

8 hours ago, (PS4)ivinyl45 said:

You don't need a speed meta build it is easy enough with an unranked frame I did it with Nidus in 60 seconds

Its crazy how people are still responding to a page 1 post worrying about this kind of thing being the start of a negative and excursionist trend like path of exile has gotten itself into. 

Is this a forum, or a subreddit? my gosh xD

On 2020-05-13 at 3:33 AM, (NSW)Greybones said:

Isn’t this challenge a gear check? 🤔 

It doesn’t sound difficult to do, but that’s because I can do a capture on Earth with my OP equipment. The gear check may be small, but it’s there.

If my observation is correct, does this reflect what many are looking for? Enough damage numbers to do a thing faster?

You can easily kill low level capture targets from starter star chart planets with your starter weapons and basic mods. It's not a gear check or speed meta at all. You just need to know how to bullet jump, roll and aim glide to make it as efficient as possible and some tile set knowledge so you know where to go on every segment of maps. As long as you know how to parkour and have map awareness, you can even use slow frames and fail/get stuck on holes, trees, falling out of map/etc and still make it in time.

11 minutes ago, (PS4)lumen2ne1 said:

You can easily kill low level capture targets from starter star chart planets with your starter weapons and basic mods. It's not a gear check or speed meta at all.

Another forumer had pointed this out to me a little further down the page you found my original quoted post on, though they accurately added that had the challenge required a specific higher-level node it would be a gear check. This is what I responded with:

On 2020-05-13 at 11:58 AM, (NSW)Greybones said:

If I’m understanding this correctly, you’re saying that this singular challenge is not a gear check if a player chooses a node where the default equipment is strong enough to overcome it easily, but it is a gear check if a player chooses a node where they’d need to equip additional power?

Wouldn’t that make it a gear check, it’s just that our standard gear is beyond the base requirements (low-level Earth mission) and by default has been checked already?

edit: Perhaps we don’t have a shared interpretation of the term “Gear Check” 🤔 I’m open to getting on the same page if needed

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

On 2020-05-12 at 6:58 PM, (NSW)Greybones said:

If I’m understanding this correctly, you’re saying that this singular challenge is not a gear check if a player chooses a node where the default equipment is strong enough to overcome it easily, but it is a gear check if a player chooses a node where they’d need to equip additional power?

Wouldn’t that make it a gear check, it’s just that our standard gear is beyond the base requirements (low-level Earth mission) and by default has been checked already?

edit: Perhaps we don’t have a shared interpretation of the term “Gear Check” 🤔 I’m open to getting on the same page if needed

It is a gear check but, it's such an easy one to accomplish that it's akin to the "Complete a mission" or "Display a Glyph" type checks.  In other words, it's such a easy to obtain check mark that it's borderline inherent for most players with level 30 weapons and more than a dozen mods.

6 hours ago, MagPrime said:

It is a gear check but, it's such an easy one to accomplish that it's akin to the "Complete a mission" or "Display a Glyph" type checks.  In other words, it's such a easy to obtain check mark that it's borderline inherent for most players with level 30 weapons and more than a dozen mods.

Pretty much. According to some posters they don’t even need mods to do the Earth missions.

The OP implied that this challenge was a test of skill, and when I read that part, my mind was like “Hang on.”.

Right now the challenge doesn’t state a specific node to complete it on, and so most people have taken to Earth as the way to do it, because even the most basic of equipment can let them breeze through.

Had the challenge stated that a higher-level node was required to complete it, that wouldn’t be the case.

If the challenge remains the same (Complete Capture within 90 seconds), but the experience differs depending on the node it’s completed on, I figured that means that the challenge itself is a gear check, it’s just that the gear check has already been done when people choose Earth.

That’s not to say there isn’t something skilful about navigating quickly via parkour. The challenge wants a capture target though, not strictly for the player to get from start to end within 90 seconds

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

2 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Pretty much. According to some posters they don’t even need mods to do the Earth missions.

The OP implied that this challenge was a test of skill, and when I read that, part my mind was like “Hang on.”. Right now the challenge doesn’t state a specific node to complete it on, and so most people have taken to Earth as the way to do it, because even the most basic of equipment can let them breeze through.

Had the challenge stated that a higher-level node was required to complete it, that wouldn’t be the case.

If the challenge remains the same, but the experience differs depending on the node it’s completed on, I figured that means that the challenge itself is a gear check, it’s just that the gear check has already been done when people choose Earth.

That’s not to say there isn’t something skilful about navigating quickly via parkour. The challenge wants a capture target though, not strictly for the player to get from start to end within 90 seconds

I think, I'm on too much pain killer to make sense of this.

Vhs Kiss GIF by vhspositive

Edited by MagPrime
  • Like 1