Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
Jade Shadows: Known Issues ×

Quitting An Od After Openning Vault Consumes Key

Czarok

So I was doing a vault run, opened the vault, then got stuck. Had to abort and it consumed my vault key. Not sure if it's a bug or not but it's pretty silly either way. Also, I've done 4 vault runs with friends where I didn't get a reward at the end and they did, one of which involved my picking up the artifact and then being stuck there.

You consume the key upon opening the vault. Sounds very much intended and I don't see why it should be different.

I don't know how you're getting stuck.. but I can only imagine it being some kind of exploit like loki switch teleport, though they said this has been fixed. It did result in people not getting mods though

Edited by Bitfly

I got stuck dragon kicking and falling into roots. Also, if you open a vault in a game and the host either crashes or quits, you're screwed too. I get wanting it to be consumed so failing the missions costs you, but if we're trying to be logical why does quitting a void mission let you keep the key? Shouldn't it be consumed for getting there? In all practicality the dragon key being consumed can only hurt unfortunate people.

Edited by Czarok

I got stuck dragon kicking and falling into roots. Also, if you open a vault in a game and the host either crashes or quits, you're screwed too. I get wanting it to be consumed so failing the missions costs you, but if we're trying to be logical why does quitting a void mission let you keep the key? Shouldn't it be consumed for getting there? In all practicality the dragon key being consumed can only hurt unfortunate people.

I see your point with the Void comparison and I agree.

Though, saying that it can only hurt unfortunate people can be compared to saying the same about receiving damage in game

I see your point with the Void comparison and I agree.

Though, saying that it can only hurt unfortunate people can be compared to saying the same about receiving damage in game

I see what you're getting at, but I don't think damage is a good comparison; players can control the damage they receive, it's intuitive, and a fair game mechanic. In my examples the loss of the key is out of the player's control, unintuitive, and not really fair as there's no counterplay to it. I used the term unfortunate to aim at the fact that the loss of a key in any way other than failing the mission is out of the player's control. I guess that the point is that the player is getting punished for no reason.

Edited by Czarok

I see what you're getting at, but I don't think damage is a good comparison; players can control the damage they receive, it's intuitive, and a fair game mechanic. In my examples the loss of the key is out of the player's control, unintuitive, and not really fair as there's no counterplay to it. I used the term unfortunate to aim at the fact that the loss of a key in any way other than failing the mission is out of the player's control.

Alright, damage was a bad example. While it is unfortunate and out of the player's control, I do still not see it as something that should be changed. It is also unfortunate to get disconnected from a game where you received just that module you've been grinding for days, or lose something due to host migration. These examples are also out of the player's control, but something DE won't be able to change unlike your key issue. Though, I can't justify why they should change it to something that makes less sense

Alright, damage was a bad example. While it is unfortunate and out of the player's control, I do still not see it as something that should be changed. It is also unfortunate to get disconnected from a game where you received just that module you've been grinding for days, or lose something due to host migration. These examples are also out of the player's control, but something DE won't be able to change unlike your key issue. Though, I can't justify why they should change it to something that makes less sense

Those examples are unfortunate as well and shouldn't be an issue, and it would take significant work such that the server receives what you have gotten other than at the end of the mission, but I do think it is worth changing eventually, though disconnecting and still receiving things could be exploitable. I'm no coder, but I imagine making a key not get consumed by opening a vault, but at the end of the mission, would be a pretty simple task, and very much worth doing considering the nature of PuGs and derelict crash issues. The only conceivable advantage the player could gain besides the way it is not is that they are not punished for failing a mission where a vault was opened, and quit instead. But I think that situation is extremely rare in comparison to the instance of unfairly losing dragon keys. While the flavor of consuming a key on opening a vault is nice, I think that logic infringes on gameplay exponentially more than what it adds.