Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Is... Weak

SnPlasmic

Note1: Information obtained from warframe.wikia

Note2: English is not my native languaje, i consider that is understandable, dont flame

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have Ash, Rhino and Excalibur... also Volt and this is what i see... 1st and 4th  ability

A little comparison of 1st and 4th power... (Volts offensive powers)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st ABILITIES

Shock -Volt

Deals 75 / 100 / 125 / 200 Electrical damage and can chain up to a maximum of 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 enemies.

MAXIMUN DAMAGE HERE IS 1000... 5x200 - REALLY BAD DAMAGE

Slash Dash -Excalibur
Damage is 150 / 225 / 400 / 500 Serrated Blade Damage and has a range of 1.5 / 1.6 / 1.8 / 2 in-game meters. 

CAN HIT MULTIPLE TARGETS... TO INFESTED I BEEN DONE (WITH REGULARITY) ABOUT 9000 Damage (6x(500x3))

Charge -Rhino
Deals 150 / 250 / 450 / 650 damage and has a range of 1.5 / 1.6 / 1.8 / 2 in-game meters. These are affected by Power Strength (Focus and Vanguard helmet) and Power Range (Stretch), respectively.

CAN HIT MULTIPLE TARGETS... TO INFESTED I BEEN DONE (WITH REGULARITY) ABOUT 3900 Damage (6x(650))

Shuriken -Ash
Damage is 100 / 100 / 250 / 500. Increased by Power Strength (Focus).

NOT GOOD AT ALL, but 500 is a single shot... and 1500 to infested is not bad at all... but still bad

4th ABILITIES

OverLoard -Volt

Deals 150 / 175 / 200 / 225 Electrical damage per second for 3 / 3 / 4 / 4 seconds. The damage is affected by Power Strength (Focus).

HIT MULTIPLE TARGETS, OK... MAXIMUN 900... still not bad at all... but 4 seconds? LETS SEE THE OTHERS WARFRAMES

Javelin -Excalibur

Physics Impact damage of 1000 per javelin at all levels. Damage is not affected by enemy armor (with the exception of Grineer SeekersCommanders and Rollers) and is affected by Power Strength (Focus and Pendragon helmet).

MULTIPLE TARGETS, 1000 DAMAGE... INSTANTLY!, TAKE THAT VOLT!

Stomp -Rhino

Deals 150 / 300 / 500 / 800 damage. This is not affected by enemy armor and is affected by Power Strength (Focus).

Ok, 800 is less than 900 that Volt does... but this is INSTATLY, also, SUSPEND THE ENEMIES AND REDUCE THEIR SPEED... so take that again POOR VOLT!

Blade Storm -Ash

Each strike deals 750 / 1000 / 1500 / 2000 damage. Increased by Power Strength (Focus).

MOST OF TIMES I HIT FROM 4 TO 8 ENEMIES... SOMETIMES SUX BECAUSE TEAMMATES KILL THE POSSIBLE TARGETS... SO SOMETIMES I KILL ONLY 2 OR 3... BUT STILL MUCH BETTER THAN 225 per SECOND

MY POINT IS!
Volt needs to be upgraded or something... is useless

Edited by SnPlasmic

Why?

Volt can shield himself/teammates/objects while being able to shoot through the shield even with an added damage boost.

Volt uses electricity skills in type of damage, making him a decent choice against Corpus.

Volt looks great, and color customizing him is a pleasure. No grey spots.

Volt is the fastest frame in the game. He makes other frames fast.

Volt offers offensive as well as defensive/supportive gameplay.

Volt can shoot around corners with his Shock ability.

Volt is generally fun to play, at least in my opinion.

Volt can shield himself/teammates/objects while being able to shoot through the shield even with an added damage boost.

Volt uses electricity skills in type of damage, making him a decent choice against Corpus.

Volt looks great, and color customizing him is a pleasure. No grey spots.

Volt is the fastest frame in the game. He makes other frames fast.

Volt offers offensive as well as defensive/supportive gameplay.

Volt can shoot around corners with his Shock ability.

Volt is generally fun to play, at least in my opinion.

But volts overload sucks.

Dude

1. Volt power also apply doble damage to corpus due to be Electrical.

2. Use corrosive proyection to lower enemies armor.

3. How you dare to compare Shock with Slash Dash and Charge? they are different moves comparing to Shock.

4. Increase volt damage by using Focus and the Storm Helmet.

5. Shield is also Offensive and Defensive ability.

You have to know where and when use the abilities, but no play with Volt on Infeseted Missions. Also use Synapse that a very shocking fun!

Volt's Overload ability can electrify lights, turning them into very effective extra damage.

Seeing as only one tileset seems to have this going on in any number that matters its kind of situational.

Didn't they fix the Synapse glitch yet? I don't believe volt is good simply because of a very specific situation.

1. Volt can shield himself/teammates/objects while being able to shoot through the shield even with an added damage boost.

2. Volt uses electricity skills in type of damage, making him a decent choice against Corpus.

3. Volt looks great, and color customizing him is a pleasure. No grey spots.

4. Volt is the fastest frame in the game. He makes other frames fast.

5. Volt offers offensive as well as defensive/supportive gameplay.

6. Volt can shoot around corners with his Shock ability.

7. Volt is generally fun to play, at least in my opinion.

1. It's a static directional shield that adds electrical damage.  In other words: "I'm not a ninja, am only useful against Corpus, and suck at defense."

2. Until you hit upper levels.  Electricity is mitigated by armor.

3. I actually hate his color mapping, but that's personal opinion.

4. If you're using energy constantly in solo.  If you're playing with a team, their speed gets sped up as well, so you still get left behind in the dust.

5. Yes he does.  And he sucks at all of them.

6. If the ability decides to play nice which it often doesn't.  See number 2.

7. His idea is fun.  His implementation is not.

Let's just go down the list of pros and cons.

Shock

Pros: can chain between targets, HUGE total range, makes you feel like Palpatine, sometimes stuns targets, can hit around corners if it's in a good mood

Cons: does low damage, has a target cap, damage is mitigated by armor.

Speed

Pros: massive speed boost to everyone on the team, improves melee performance

Cons: FoV change makes some users/allies sick, Volt himself is too fragile to properly take advantage of the melee buff, does not help Volt catch up with allies as it will buff them too

Electric Shield

Pros: blocks enemy fire, adds damage to allied rounds

Cons: monodirectional protection, added damage is mitigated by enemy armor, immobile

Overload

Pros: does high damage when around electronics, no longer capable of wiping out all spawned enemies (oh those were fun times lol)

Cons: damage dealt is mitigated by armor, can take excessive time depending on light placement and enemy effective health

Kit Synergy

Pros: he supports several playstyles

Cons: he fails to sufficiently support any of them and thus fails to be even decent in any of them

Team Synergy

Pros: can accelerate progress of entire team through a level, can easily resist a single heavy unit when reviving an ally, buffs melee-preferring allies

Cons: abilities do not contribute meaningful damage against anything other than low-level Corpus, cannot catch up to a team easily if left behind, cannot 

Enemy Counters

Pros: Corpus are weak to electricity

Cons: damage reduced by armor which even Corpus Crewmen have, Infested resistant to electricity

Shock and Overload should be significantly improved by Damage 2.0, but even then, they will likely need some love.  Speed just needs the fisheye removed so people stop getting sick from their allies doing that.  Electric Shield needs to be mobile and float in front of Volt as well as amping up Shock if used while the shield is up.  Volt fails to be "a potent alternative to gunplay" and in fact, his shield outright encourages it.  At least making the shield amp Shock as well should at least give Volt players something in that department...

Of course, I still really want to rip Volt apart into a caster and a steroid gunslinger.  Unfortunately, adding an entirely new frame just to fix an existing one, is difficult to say the least.

Edited by Volt_Cruelerz

Cruelerz, I agree with you on almost all points.  One of the very most important issues is Volt's low damage, because even after the damage overhaul (which to my understanding will vastly improve the effectiveness of electrical damage), Volt's abilities need a damage buff, being just plainly inferior to the numbers on other skills.

The one thing I really disagree with you on is Volt's Electric Shield.  Yes, repositioning is a pain, but the current use of the shield makes it more tactical.  You can provide area cover in multiple locations and protect yourself and allies when reviving.  If the shield was front-facing for Volt, this wouldn't be an option.  And while it could very easily just swivel around him with the camera (allowing safe revives), this would look really strange and awkward since the shield's movement wouldn't coincide with Volt's.  This point, however, just comes down to personal preference, and personally I've always liked deployable shield abilities.

What if the shield, when cast once, attached to the mouse-view. So it spun to where you looked. But if cast while it was already running it would drop the shield where you stood(For no added cost).  So double-tapping it yields the same functionality as it currently is. But also lets the Volt be mobile.

Seriously, a speed/lightning based frame reeeaaally shouldn't have multiple abilities that force you to stand still

What if the shield, when cast once, attached to the mouse-view. So it spun to where you looked. But if cast while it was already running it would drop the shield where you stood(For no added cost).  So double-tapping it yields the same functionality as it currently is. But also lets the Volt be mobile.

Seriously, a speed/lightning based frame reeeaaally shouldn't have multiple abilities that force you to stand still

I'd be fine with that.

Mmmm electric jesus time....

hmmm, I like this, mind if I add it to my post on how weak Volt is? (which you posted on once)

I find it hilarious that people on this topic are seriously trying to convince the TC that Volt isn't weak. He's my most used frame, and I still think he is garbage.

Shocks damage is pathetic, and the only real use of the skill in higher levels is to kill Ospreys and Moas, which it stops being capable of doing after around level 60ish.

Speed is actually pretty awesome when rushing a mission, or in a couple rare other situations. But its usefulness is still too damn situational to rescue Volt from the scrap heap.

Electric Shield is awesome in certain situations, and complete crud in others. It gives you a damage boost and changes most projectile weapons to hitscan, and it even removes falloff damage from shotguns, but its still somewhat impractical to rely upon, and its entirely garbage until the higher levels, where the extra firepower and defense it provides can come in handy. Sadly, Railgun Moa's and the Stalker can both shoot through it, and its pretty much the only skill Volt can rely upon to actually become an asset to the team. Meaning Volt needs to stop moving, place a shield down, hang back, fire from the shield and hope his allies don't run off ahead and block his shots, as well as hope nothing sneaks up behind him. Its useful to help block fire when you are reviving someone, but its small size makes it unreliable in that case. It used to be increased in size by Stretch, but I don't know if it still is.

Overload is situational as hell. Its not useless as I previously thought, but the fact that Volt isn't invincible during the lengthy duration means you usually have to use it from behind cover, and its damage is quite poor without the electronics boost, except vs Ospreys and Moas, who take extra damage from it and don't have armor scaling to reduce its damage. Against Crewmen its a mixed bag since it does do extra damage, but if the crewman wanders in after the first couple damage pulses, he might only take a small amount of damage and still be able to shoot Volt immediately after the animation ends.

The problem with Volt's kit is that in too many situations, none of his skills are worth using, and while he does shine in other situations, he doesn't shine quite enough to justify his weaknesses.

Synapse can easily compensate for Volt's weakness.

Is it a bit of a problem to get a clantech weapon just do make Volt decent? Yes.

Does it pay off? Does infinite ranged red crits sound nice to you?

Its not infinite range. Its very high range, but it does falloff at some point, although its rarely noticable. Synapse doesn't make Volt great. Other frames can use Synapse quite well, and some of them (Nova, Banshee, Rhino, Mag), can get a comparable damage boost without having to constantly spend 50 energy on a stationary object to get a one-direction damage boost.

I've never played Volt but I plan to soon; what about him is so bad?

I can't say he's the WORST frame.  But he's extremely low teir.

His 1st power, shock, does very little damage, due to the way armor/resist works.  It's mostly useful for Corpus, who are weak to elec.  Beyond a point though, generally levels 50-60, most Corpus are so resistant that they can shrug it off.  And long before then it's pointless against the other factions(I believe the Ancients are immune entirely to elec)

His second power is speed, it's considered one of the two good ones.  It does what it says.  Gives a huge speed boost and even a melee attack speed boost.  However, the warped FoV makes people sick and dizzy and it can't be shut off by players who don't want it.  In addition, the Volt is so physically weak that attempting to leverage the melee speed is suicide.

His third power is the shield, it's a small barrier that stops all but a few attacks from getting through(I'm looking at you Railgun MOA).  It's the other "good" power.  In addition to being a serviceable shield it also drops a large +elec dmg boost to any of your projectiles passing through it(Or most of them anyhow, far as I can tell it doesn't help attacks with innate armor ignore).  The big issue is that it's immobile.  That's more or less ok for Defense missions and Survival(sometimes).  Just kinda hard to leverage on any other mission type. 

You also have to spend 50 points(base) for every shield you drop. So to cover your front and flank requires you drop 100 points and then not move at all.  If you end up fighting critters that drop patches of damage or foes that do KB or foes that melee. Attempting to use the cover is bordering on suicide.

The final power is Overload.  It requires you to float in the air for several seconds in a "jesus" pose while a large DoT elec dmg field goes out.  I think it's DoT anyway. It does bonus damage by causing lights to explode on the map if they're in the radus.  There are multiple issues with that though.  Should the attack not instantly kill everything, they are most likely going to target you now.  Should a second wave come in while your animation is still going. They will kill you.  Should you be fighting something resistant to stun. It will kill you.  Should you fight something immune to elec. It will kill you.   It is the Jesus power. Using it turns you into a martyr and you die for the sins of the developers.

The most viable thing the Volt can do is get the Synapse gun and fire it through the shield power.  This results in a broken amount of damage.  If that's the combo you want? Go for it. Volt is right for you.

If you want a speedy frame?  Don't pick Volt.  It has one speed boosting power. And two powers that require you to stand still and get shot at. In addition to low-end base speed.

If you want a ranged caster frame? Don't pick Volt.  Its ranged powers are borderline worthless.

If you want an alternative to gunplay?  Don't pick Volt.  The most viable tactics it has involves bunkering in with a powerful gun and picking things off.

If you want a lightning element based Frame?  Don't pick Volt.  Its only real lightning based powers are borderline worthless.

If you want a jack-of-all-trades type Frame?  Volt might be for you.  It can do a little of everything, defense, offense, movement.  It just sucks at most of it.

Armor 2.0 might fix some issues. But it won't fix Volt.  The frame is a weird mash of several different styles.  It's a fast paced, electric based frame that occasionally stands still for long periods.  It's a turtleling defensive frame with a speed buff.

Frankly, Volt doesn't know what it wants to be.

Which is sad... 'cause I totally love it