Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pablo acknowledges why better AI alone will not be enough for good difficulty in WF: We need to be nerfed first

Jarriaga

Some of this balance problem come from broken "new" game play added over time. 

Take a look at energy, the base resource for warframe to use their power, it is become trivial to have it now, It's no more a precious resource. Zenurik, Arcane energize and large energy restore make energy gain trivial. With the 100x large energy restore, I have see many "new" player using them every time. Arcane Energize (even with the "nerf") can easily keep exalted abilities forever. Yes, it's somehow to avoid trinity (EV) to be in every team, but actually it's really too easy  to gain it, so you can spam your CC/nuke power  during all the mission.

Another broken gameplay is operator. And especially the void mod. With void mod you  are invincible, you can revive all allies without  worrying about enemies, their lvl or whatever. All the stressful moment when you need to revive allies in very high lvl mission is gone, you don't have to take care of your surrounding. Enemies ? don't need to clear or CC them.  Some very important mods at time like Sanctuary have yet no use. I'm a bit nostalgic of this time, there was some challenge to stay long without burning every revives. This broken gameplay is why arbitration have his own revive system, because operator can bypass all difficulty. Without operator We would have been able to see arbitration with NO revive but a bleeding state.

(And one of the big problem of Warframe is that every game mod has his own rules without any coherence except Sanctuary)

And lastly they have balanced WF with not high lvl enemies (30-50 if I remember) and we can see that every weapon/wf are overpowered against this lvl. Catalyst an reactor are something that make theme overpowered against lvl 80- (and some other weapon far above that lvl) and the enemies lvl scaling system is not adapted for this standard. For example I have started to play without catalyst/reactor/arcane and operator and i can still make many of them solo, and are often 1st or 2d in damages in team ( it's fun to play, you have to choose wisely your weapon/WF, mods them too and there is much more tension in mission).

If we want balance (and I want it) it's important to fix some broken gameplay before (like spin2win, hit trough wall, etc). With less energy, there will be less spam of powerful power (this will not "balance" all of them but some will be less predominant and make theme may be easier to balance afterward). Without godly revive, staying longer in mission would become much difficult. And may be with a game/lvl enemies scaling based around a higher lvl the global flow and balance will be better. And we will be able to change/add enemies than can be challenging (some can become enraged if too much CCed, breaking free and becoming a threat, exemple for some grineer I think, to not have a nulified effect)

Edited by Messkoo

Just now, Nehra96 said:

Who is this "we"? Are you sure you are speaking for all the tenno? 

Normally I wouldn't, but I think it's a pretty reasonable claim that as content gets harder, people will in general use stronger gear. That IS part of a Looter-shooter after all.

2 minutes ago, Nehra96 said:

Once again, it sounds nice, big words. But it comes to this... I saw XYZ doing this in the game, and he is stupid and he shouldn't do this or that. It's either my way, or highway. 

The problem with this reasoning are many. I don't wanna get into that side of things. 

Again, it's pretty reasonable to suggest that people aren't going to just brute-force their way with their existing methods. They're going to adapt to be more powerful, and in Warframe, being more powerful means using the spammy OP tactics - as we've both established.

If anything, I'm referring to my own habits - when presented with a challenge, I'll pull out stronger gear and strategies, regardless of if they're less fun. I don't like it, but still will because... I'm not going to beat my head against a brick will.

4 minutes ago, Nehra96 said:

The solution lies in having different tiers of content for different folks. Just because you do not like the grass on the other side of the river, you are not allowed to torch it. Be patient and give feedback in the right channels. Maybe you and I will get what we want. 

(I do not want much, I am happy with whatever they give, if I don't like it, I don't play it, case in point railjack!)

I am excited for hard mode 😁, it's going to be a fun rid if they manage to deliver. 

I don't think Hard mode will deliver a harder experience. This is my point - it will deliver a higher level experience, but so did Arbitrations, and Kuva Liches. And those are still really easy.

Make no mistake, I think it's a good step in the right direction, but given the existing problems, I don't believe it's going to be a solution, because it's a systemic problem.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, (XB1)ALTBOULI said:

You have twisted Pablo's words to try and fit ur own agenda. At no point did he say the players need to be nerfed.

The very first quote extraction with the deepmind AI example at the first timestamp begs to defer. He explicitly said that you can shut down said AI by pressing 4, so a nerf would be necessary in order to counter that. Or are you going to argue that he was talking about abilities and not players as if the end result was any different? What's the agenda there when I gave the timestamps so people could confirm or deny what was said on their own and somehow you are the only one who thinks that's not what he said? Did no one else check the video then?

Warframe has always been a horde style shooter in which you destroy waves on enemies.

So sick of a very small part of the player base constantly screaming for nerfs in order to try and justify a 'challenge'. Warframe is an easy game, it's a co-op game it's never going to become some challenging game that these players seem to want.

Yet Reb is on record publicly admitting that players leave the game because they get bored because it's too easy. She explicitly mentions how being able to one-shot everything up to certain point leads to boredom because the game feels too easy, and that's a challenge they (DE) want to tackle on as a team.  

As I replied to someone else on page 1: DE are the only ones with access to their numbers in order to make such a claim, so somewhere in their spreadsheets, they saw a link between player retention and difficulty. Maybe nowhere near big enough to tank the game, but big enough for them to notice. Sure not everything needs to be difficult, but that's not to say that people don't play expecting for things to change some day. More so now that an optional hard mode is going to be introduced. You won't have to participate on it, but those of us that want to know what DE's problems will be when making said game mode.

So if you want to say that Reb is wrong because of your personal experience, be my guest. No one else will pay attention to you at that point.

Also, as @Corvid noted, the number of new accounts vs. concurrent player growth supports this claim. WF has a very high attrition. 

If you want a game were ur abilities are on long cool downs and the weapons and armour ur constantly farming for is nerfed then u might want to take a look at Destiny 2.

Yet you don't hear noticeable and constant complaints from D2 players and content creators saying that it's too easy and that it doesn't have an endgame. I wonder why that is? 🤔 Seems that even though D2 has many other problems WF doesn't have, they at least got that part right.

Warframe is about having fun with a range of weapons, Warframes and builds and it achieves that

"Fun" is an extremely subjective cop-out answer. For some people, horror films are fun. For some other people, romantic comedies are fun. While some people have "fun" obliterating hordes of enemies with little to no resistance, other people don't like it when the game is so one sided and automated. I take it you won't even try the upcoming hard modes? Because those will be fun for me, which means that they won't be fun for you if your definition of "fun" involves little to no effort on your end (No catharsis), because I don't think people like you play against level 300+ enemies as they start dying at a slower rate, ergo, taking away the fun from you. After all, that guy I was replying to said it himself in a later post: He hates Grineer because they don't die fast enough.

Edited by Jarriaga
  • Like 8

28 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

as content gets harder, people will in general use stronger gear.

So you mean to say the in harder content people should use easier gear? Doesn't something sound off with this statement of yours? Of course you cannot do harder content with weak gear. That's the whole point of making gear better and stronger. 

13 hours ago, kwlingo said:

And the 90% of the nukers and tankers are hating on Pablo for speaking the truth. Its funny because all these players are the one's who want difficulty but only camp during higher level endurance runs not wanted to get shot. lol

That’s not why people camp in endurance runs. Too much moving around will mess up the spawn points of the enemies which effects how quickly the enemies can get to you, and if they can’t get to you as quickly then your kills per second go down, and then you have less life support. Staying in one spot or one room is the best strategy to go far in an endurance run. 

• Like 2

Just now, Nehra96 said:

So you mean to say the in harder content people should use easier gear? Doesn't something sound off with this statement of yours?

Given that's not what they said, implied, inferred or otherwise hinted at, it's hardly "their statement".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nehra96 said:

So you mean to say the in harder content people should use easier gear? Doesn't something sound off with this statement of yours? Of course you cannot do harder content with weak gear. That's the whole point of making gear better and stronger. 

I

What?

The point is that the stronger gear is less interesting. Stronger gear means spamming Mesa's peacemaker, Equinox's Maim, Limbo's Cataclysm + Stasis. The stronger gear makes less skilled gameplay.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jarriaga said:

The very first quote extraction with the deepmind AI example at the first timestamp begs to defer. He explicitly said that you can shut down said AI by pressing 4, so a nerf would be necessary in order to counter that. Or are you going to argue that he was talking about abilities and not players as if the end result was any different? What's the agenda there when I gave the timestamps so people could confirm or deny what was said on their own and somehow you are the only one who thinks that's not what he said? Did no one else check the video then?

Yet you don't hear noticeable and constant complaints from D2 players and content creators saying that it's too easy and that it doesn't have an endgame. I wonder why that is? 🤔 Seems that even though D2 has many other problems WF doesn't have, they at least got that part right.

'But imagine the level of friction it would generate with the community if all CC abilities in the game were nerfed.'  U only quoted parted of what he said which exactly proves my point, he's clearly saying above that the community wouldn't take kindly to CC nerfs. Again u have twisted to fit ur agenda given he was talking about AI and the difficulty involved with balance, he was at no point advocating nerfs like u seem to suggest.

lmao go the destiny 2 forums because you clearly haven't been there are literally multiple threads complaining about a lack of things to do and no viable end game what are u talking about

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nehra96 said:

Because you are using hyperbole! I have umbral saryn, I have all the different frames forma'd and potato's. 

I do not stand still and press 1 button to kill everything! You wanna know why on earth? Well the answer is it gets boring fast! 

For the last few weeks I was using Mag Prime with her base health on Mot for around 40-60 min runs just cuz I like the aesthetics of void and was into a Mag phase. Today I started using Mirage for everything I did. In future I might use wukong or banshee etc to have fun and enjoy the experience.

It doesn't mean that I do not take my Saryn to some low level alert mission (like some invasion or gift of lotus) to cheese the fk out of it. But that playstyle is not satisfactory for all the time.

Real people do not behave like in your rhetoric. It's just some nice sounding nonsense. 

I do exactly what you say you are doing and I am still irritated because I kinda feel like the Warframe is lying to me and I need to play the game of pretend to feel the power fantasy rush.
Now I am in my Garuda phase and I am having fun. I am pulling my combo, soaring through the air, grouping enemies, using weapons that are fun to play for me BUT in the corner of my mind sits the fact that I can always just hold W and mash the quick melee button for the same results... it sucks. The funny part is that Garuda is totally OP (indirect infinite dmg scaling), but just the fact that I need to press more than one button to pull out the kill is something engaging. I don't need dark souls difficulty, I need just something that creates the need to interact with the game in some engaging manner. To me, it's not that warframe is not difficult enough but more like its starting to lose the basic touch with the concept of what is a game.

Let's say you are playing the game of tag and you are supposed to be hunting other players around but after some time (not from the start) you will realize that if you don't want to you can just shout "I GOT YOU!" and it would counts as a tag. All the running and dodging around is fun but players will want to achieve their goals so they will just start shouting got u on each other and after some time they will get bored and go away. Why the hell is the running part of that game? So that if you want to you can run? Why would you bother playing that game? If you like running you can go play something where running is the basic tool of success in the game. But why the creators of this game do that?

When I started playing Warframe I chose volt I knew nothing about meta and I had a blast caring about stuff like energy management, proper aiming, deciding when to rush with melee and when to deploy shield. If the game somehow told me that after a few dozens of hours this gameplay will be relevant only for giggles I don't know if I would be bothered.

Then the RJ come... and went away. I can play RJ solo and finish the giant point around 4 minutes solo. I better be solo if I want to actually fly around and shoot the fighters instead of spamming aoe avionics, because otherwise, I am hindering other players "game".

I just don't understand it anymore. I must admit that maybe I just need a break. Still love the lore etc. 
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, akrid45 said:

Never understand people that think that just because we want some challenge means that we want warframe to become like dark souls. It's like do you even play other games? Like if u do play other games u should know that just because a game has challenge doesn't mean it's dark souls level of difficult 

Unless they really haven't played other games (I pity them if so), then it's an intentional obfuscation argument trying to paint "challenge" in the most extreme scenario in the worst possible light in order to generate disgust and rejection from other players, because "If you want difficulty, that's where you'll get it". 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Wil_Shatner_face said:

That’s not why people camp in endurance runs. Too much moving around will mess up the spawn points of the enemies which effects how quickly the enemies can get to you, and if they can’t get to you as quickly then your kills per second go down, and then you have less life support. Staying in one spot or one room is the best strategy to go far in an endurance run. 

They only say what they wanna see and believe in. 😂

5 minutes ago, Wakata said:

just don't understand it anymore. I must admit that maybe I just need a break. Still love the lore etc. 

I said it above, people are having relationship issues with the game. You may be on to something here. 🙂 Do what's best for you my fellow tenno! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, (XB1)ALTBOULI said:

U only quoted parted of what he said which exactly proves my point, he's clearly saying above that the community wouldn't take kindly to CC nerfs. Again u have twisted to fit ur agenda given he was talking about AI and the difficulty involved with balance, he was at no point advocating nerfs like u seem to suggest.

What? How does community friction negate the fact that the problem he mentioned can only countered with a nerf? Pablo mentioned community friction for context as to why they haven't nerfed those things even though they know they should, because "better AI" won't work otherwise. You and I liking it or not bears no relation to that.

That's also why at the end I noted that it seems the path DE could take relates to making us fail missions instead of nerfing us, precisely because they know of the friction.

28 minutes ago, (XB1)ALTBOULI said:

lmao go the destiny 2 forums because you clearly haven't been there are literally multiple threads complaining about a lack of things to do and no viable end game what are u talking about

They complain about their endgame not being good, which is a completely different argument from not having an endgame at all (WF).

Edited by Jarriaga
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Jarriaga said:

I beg to differ. You and I don't see it because we are the hardcore forum users. DE themselves have acknowledged in the past that they have seen users leave because they get bored.  Reb said it herself once in a GameSpot interview at the 14:52 mark addressing the power scaling vs. difficulty problem in Warframe. She mentions how being able to one-shot everything up to certain point leads to boredom because the game feels too easy, and that's a challenge they (DE) want to tackle on as a team.

The difficulty issue isn't news and hasn't been for at least 5 years...

DE painted themselves into that corner many years ago even though many posed that the direction was bad even then.

The ideas being put forward to make missions more difficult to complete through random cheap tactics are just that...Random Cheap Tactics.

If anything, tactics like that will push the game even further into the current meta and the only Tenno left will be what amounts to botters.

Had they wanted to avoid this they would have:

Avoided allowing attribute stacking mechanics to begin with or capped all attributes from being able to be stacked without exception.

Added cooldown mechanics in the game earlier and applied them to all frames or added diminishing returns for spamming CC/status inducing skills.

Doing so now would be a massive nerf and may cost them players...That balances the fact that they "sold" the power of those mechanics for years and earned a fairly sizeable and active playerbase from doing so while earning a great deal of revenue with only a modicum of content generation respectively in the process.

Warframe has had an exceptionally good run for an online game..But it is showing it's age and the real challenge in the game of acquiring certain mods stops being a challenge eventually.

DE managed to get a large amount of concurrent plays and revenue from that tactic for a long time...but it was never going to be sustainable indefinitely.

It seems to me that the better route at this point is a legit "square one" sequel. Taking the lessons they learned here and allowing players to  opt-in to explore that new game seems more sensible than inventing ways to run off the players they still have in the current game or push the players even more closely into the mindless meta.

The only thing better than one revenue stream is two revenue streams imo. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nehra96 said:

So using unmodded Braton and jumping and aimgliding to complete a sortie level mission is skilled gameplay? 

Technically, that does fall under the definition. Although I'd also count Gauss, most of Wisp, Limbo without Stasis spam (i.e. ducking in and out of the rift) and many other things under that.

3 minutes ago, Nehra96 said:

If you remove the cloud of superiority complex from your eyes you'll see that you are straight up hating and twisting the playstyle of people to suit your argument and narrative. Using peacemaker, using stasis is not a sin, it's doing what the frame has been designed to do. 

You not wanting to play this way is fine. You asking for deletion of these frames is not fine. History is full of examples of people who tried to impose what they felt was superior in them on everyone else. It doesn't end well. 

What

What?

WHAT?

Ok, lots to unpack here.

One: just because a frame was designed to do something doesn't mean that design is healthy for the game as a whole. A brick wall that randomly dropped in front of extraction forcing you to abort would be doing what it's designed to do, but it'd be pretty fair to complain about that. Peacemaker and Stasis spam, along with a variety of others restrict the kinds of gameplay and enjoyment that Warframe can deliver on.

Two: Where on earth did I ask for the deletion of these frames?

Three: carrying on from the above, the sheer irony of talking about twisting people's words when doing it yourself is... absurd. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

You want something that causes you to actually engage your brain?

Wtf bro, go play Dark Souls blindfolded or complete a Sudoku with your toes or something if you want "challenge", stop trying to ruin my space ninja themed cookie clicker dress up game.

Daily +1 limit sadly reached.

• Like 5

Everyone goes off about Bramma being op but melee weapons deleting entire groups of enemies at once is fine. There is no change that can be done to the bramma specifically that makes the sybaris more viable, simple because melee weapons exist. Neither proximity nor time to get to an enemy are risks in warframe, if anything both help you (less enemy accuracy while you are moving, melee auto block negating damage from the front). The only way to boost weapon variety is to make enemies that specifically want and need pin point accuracy. We've had a few attempts at that, some more successful than others.

People seriously needed Pablo to tell them that in order to realize it? It has only been said time and time again here on the forums by several of us.

I really hope Jizo and Triburos are just asking the question because they have to, not because they actually need an answer to it. If they actually need an answer given to them, then their knowledge about WF is extremely lacking because the issues Pablo describes regarding why a better A.I wont solve it are so very obvious on their own.

One more thing, not sure if I missed it or not, but did Pablo ever mention the other massive issues that an A.I improvement wouldnt solve? What I'm refering to is our massive movement potential that lets us zip-zip-zip between groups of enemies in seconds in order to chop them up. Covers and everything else are rendered useless for the enemy because a forward shielded position wont save you when the frame is behind you and cleaving your head the next sec. We are just too fast for any A.I to keep up, because the A.I is hindered by the husk they are stuck with.

Not even the Musk A.I would bring any difficulty to WF even though it can be a decent opponent in something like a moba where everyone is more equal.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

I really hope Jizo

Jizo really (Honestly) wanted an answer considering he had recently made a video about AI improvements and AI counter-measures against camping.

40 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

If they actually need an answer given to them, then their knowledge about WF is extremely lacking because the issues Pablo describes regarding why a better A.I wont solve it are so very obvious on their own.

I would not say that. It's more like people don't really think of ramifications because people tend to miss the forest for the trees.

It's the same argument as when people ask to adjust weapon stats instead of nerfing riven disposition. They don't really think that their popular weapon would now get nerfed instead of its riven, or at least they don't want to think about it.

Edited by Jarriaga
  • Like 1

Gonna react to that one quote I saw in the OP as a suggestion to increase the difficulty of the game :

An enemy that captures all 4 towers in Interception or prevents you from capturing them, an enemy that destroys unused life support capsules or decreases max life support levels in Survival, an enemy that deals permanent damage you can't heal until the enemy dies, those are things that could increase difficulty by increasing your chances of failing the mission.

All of this is basically countered by massive nuking. You don't care about targeting a specific enemy when everything is already dead, unless you give it a nullifier bubble.

Back to the drawing board I'm afraid. 😞

Aside from that, what can I say ? I've been saying forever that uncontrolled nuking is a massive problem if people want balance and challenge. Looks like mass CC is a problem as well, which is not surprising. In the end, I guess what will matter is the biggest demographic.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

What? How does community friction negate the fact that the problem he mentioned can only countered with a nerf? Pablo mentioned community friction for context as to why they haven't nerfed those things even though they know they should, because "better AI" won't work otherwise. You and I liking it or not bears no relation to that.

That's also why at the end I noted that it seems the path DE could take relates to making us fail missions instead of nerfing us, precisely because they know of the friction.

They complain about their endgame not being good, which is a completely different argument from not having an endgame at all (WF).

Saying in order to make AI better we would have to nerf powers but the community wouldn't like that, is not the same as saying the game is inherently broken and we need to nerf everything. He was answering a specific technical question about AI in the game and the challenges that are faced, he wasnt saying it was a necessary change, that's the point.

No destiny players have complained a great deal about power being on long timers and having no end game. Having a slightly harder nightfall mission with the same loot as the easier version or Raids that haven't been kept up to date are not end game. If you had spent any time on the forums recently or even the last year for that matter you would see these type of comments and threads reguarly...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

i think this about situation awareness again. I remember the times when at 20 min in survival/defense, we had to constantly scan the spawn horizon for bombards, beeline to them, and take them out. In defense missions, we actually had to agree on who was going to take out bombards while the rest stayed near objective. I do agree they needed better indicators, but even without them, it was better to assume a rocker was on its way towards your location and react accordingly. It really wasnt that hard to make the rocket miss if you kept moving. It prevented you from sitting still and mowing down enemies with your OP weapon, abilities or CC. it was a natural limit to us just spamming powers in one place. 

to be fair, vanilla Bombards are a good example of Enemies that bring Cognitive Dissonance to the battlefield - their Missiles haven't really ever been fair simply because the Projectile will phase thorough other Enemies.
and Bombards are far from the only Enemy that can do stuff like that. Grapple Hooks also pass through Enemies, Et Cetera. Enemies being able to break any semblance of logic and, well, essentially cheat spoils some of the potential.
vanilla Bombards are better thesedays since the Missile doesn't have infinite Fuel anymore and they don't turn on a dime, but they are still fundamentally illogical to some degree and stuff like that hurts the potential for Enemies to matter enough to be interesting without making the game a slog (because nobody that's asking for the game to be Challenging is asking for the game to be a slog, we don't want that either!)

that paired with that ther's 40 Enemies in the room exacerbates that to some degree too.

18 minutes ago, (XB1)ALTBOULI said:

Saying in order to make AI better we would have to nerf powers but the community wouldn't like that, is not the same as saying the game is inherently broken and we need to nerf everything. 

How are those statements any different when the end result is the same? The practical implications of both statements are the exact same: Better AI is meaningless when players can shut it down entirely, so nerfs would need to be made for that to work. The community not liking or not approving of that bears no relation to that statement.

18 minutes ago, (XB1)ALTBOULI said:

He was answering a specific technical question about AI in the game and the challenges that are faced, he wasnt saying it was a necessary change, that's the point.

He explicitly said that it was a needed change in order for better Ai to work because it would be pointless otherwise. He even went as far as to cite the most powerful gaming AI in the world (StarCraft DeepMind, which can beat PRO players) to highlight how easy it would be for us to overcome it with just one button to further amplify that statement. You are the only person here who apparently thinks that's not what he meant.

I don't know if you're being intentionally obtuse at this point. Seems to me like you're trying to split hairs.

Edited by Jarriaga
  • Like 3

I think the main reason the game has become like this is that DE has been too afaird to make necessary changes to the game that the vocal community doesn't like and generally always trying to please the vocal community which resulted in the game's current state and things that once had a little challenge being nerf like for example when fortuna enemies etc. 

Which is a mistake sometimes because the average person that requests for a thing to be nerfed or buffed doesn't care or think about how that change could affect the rest of the game. 

Edited by akrid45
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

Yes failure for not being able to complete something and losing said rewards is frustrating but it also brings engagement and generally making the player want to learn or not repeat what they did wrong 

With our community that choose to complain in forum over telling people dos and don'ts in chat and toxicity over something trivial? This is why I sort of think that it will make people go solo or being really toxic and blaming others (well, sortie spy public is a thing) because the risk is a bit too great to lose. When you lose that condition overload, you don't know how many drekar butcher you will butcher down to find another one so imagine losing that because of one mistake if people won't scream on the mic and throwing insults and tantrum

• Like 1