Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma. Sure Its Great, Its Powerful, But...

Nomad-0084

So... you're complaining a gun sounds like a gun?

I'm complaining that a sci-fi gun sounds like a long outdated gun from 1945. They don't even sound like that anymore for crying out loud.

To each their own of course, but this gun seems like a far cry from anything a highly advanced civilization would ever design.

I'm complaining that a sci-fi gun sounds like a long outdated gun from 1945. They don't even sound like that anymore for crying out loud.

To each their own of course, but this gun seems like a far cry from anything a highly advanced civilization would ever design.

You're talking about a game revolving around futuristic versions of old-day Japanese assassins. Hell, some of us even have Koi ponds and Buddha statues.

Since we all know the future is circular shotgun clips and spiked sphere clips... Right.... and you're complaining about the sound?... of a gun... that is practically based off a WW2 rifle.... Uh huh... Sooo tired of the derp that goes on in these threads at times, give some constructive useful feedback not your complaints on the sound of a gun and how that suddenly justifies its nerf and the buff of a gun that's being removed soon...

I rather like the Soma's design, myself. Sound and all. It's just a little too good at the moment.

Besides, what's wrong with the way WWII guns sound? They all sound pretty cool to me, especially the M1 Garand and its famous "PING" sound when ejecting a spent clip.

EDIT: I'd love a Garand-style rifle. It'd be like the Latron, but with an eight-shot clip and much higher damage (probably more recoil too). And of course a similar "PING" clip ejection sound.

Edited by HereticKitsune

Correction, stupidity/arrogance noted.

How is it arrogant to have an opinion? I can understand and even agree with several of the responses here even if they don't match my personal tastes, but some people are also being incredibly close-minded too.

I do believe that technology evolves, and the sounds specific to older guns were a result of and specific to said older technology. As artillery evolves, its quite unlikely that guns will ever sound the same again. The sounds produced by the gun are directly linked to the mechanism used to propel the projectile (and the ensuing reaction once the trigger is pulled). Guns in World War 2 sounded the way they did because they used primitive technology. The same reason guns in 2013 will never sound like a Colonial-era blunderbuss.

Now I'm not calling for a nerf, even if my support for the Gorgon seemed like it. 

What I do hope is that DE will added options that won't feel so close to real world weaponry. And that's just my hopes/opinion.

Edited by Northborn

You realize of course that the Tenno weapons are much, muuuuch older than both Corpus and Grineer technology? They're freaking ancient in comparison as they date back from before the Tenno went into suspended animation and all that jazz. Only the original Primes, which the Tenno weapons are based on, are older still.

I do realize that but... well we're still in a sci-fi setting. To me, it shows a certain lack of imagination on DE's part. But then I'm the kind of guy who feels the same way when writers use "magic" to emulate real world technology in a fantasy settings. I like when developpers/writers surprise me with originality. I'm not a fan of recycling old concepts.

But that's just my opinion. If people like the Soma as it is, kudos to them. Lucky you, you can get back to using this OP rifle. :P

I don't like it. I'm a Gorgon fanboy too.

But what can you do.... :(

With Gorgon officially slated to "retire" from the game, it's grave is pretty much dug and ready at this point.

Edited by Brimir

How is it arrogant to have an opinion? I can understand and even agree with several of the responses here even if they don't match my personal tastes, but some people are also being incredibly close-minded too.

I do believe that technology evolves, and the sounds specific to older guns were a result of and specific to said older technology. As artillery evolves, its quite unlikely that guns will ever sound the same again. The sounds produced by the gun are directly linked to the mechanism used to propel the projectile (and the ensuing reaction once the trigger is pulled). Guns in World War 2 sounded the way they did because they used primitive technology. The same reason guns in 2013 will never sound like a Colonial-era blunderbuss.

Now I'm not calling for a nerf, even if my support for the Gorgon seemed like it. 

What I do hope is that DE will added options that won't feel so close to real world weaponry. And that's just my hopes/opinion.

It's arrogant because you believe that your singular opinion is enough for DE to completely rebalance a weapon that they stated they wouldn't in the past.

I have one question for your "futuristic" remarks.

How do you explain melee at all?

Exactly.

And the sound is fine. It sounds like a machinegun. Which is exactly what it is. Of course its gonna sound like an MG42. It practically is one. Except IN SPACE.

I have one question for your "futuristic" remarks.

How do you explain melee at all?

Warhammer 40k proved that no matter how far into the future you go, taking an axe or a sword to someone's skull never loses it's effectiveness nor goes out of style.

5.56x45mm NATO sounds like a popgun. 

while, far, far older cartridges, such as 7.62x54R, sound very powerful. because they are. 

5.56x45 is a far more modern catridge than many of the older ones, but it sounds totally useless in comparison(ignoring the fact that it often is)!

just because more time has passed, doesn't mean weapon construction has gotten smarter, nor physics changed. 

Soma is a pretty reliable design, honestly. shoot some high velocity, medium caliber rounds in high volume? yeah, that usually does the job. 

is Soma exactly... futuristic? well, no. but, well, whatever. it's a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonica_gun'>Harmonica gun, all sins forgiven. :D

it has a futuristic style anyways. and 'Futuristic' doesn't innately mean laser bullets.

Edited by taiiat

Why am I firing a gun that looks, sounds and shoots like a gun straight out of World War 2? I thought this was a Sci-fi game! At least the Gorgon had a meaty, portable minigun style to it. This Soma thing is just... depressing. 

Buff Gorgon, kill Soma!

That's just like . . . your opinion, man.

Personally, I freaking love how the soma sounds and how it looks.

The tenno still use bows. Your argument is no longer valid.