Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aura

Why are there so many feedback threads in general discussion?

Recommended Posts

This is kind of a dumpster fire to look at. Half of these are questions that should be in Players Helping Players and the other half are feedback threads. I know this is a bit meta of a thread, but can we please get this sorted out? A combination of the community not being dummies and the mods moving threads to the right places?

722f7143e65ea5a6c2085f7495a8a25c.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always try to report misplaced threads to have them moved. But I must accept that most people start bleeding from the nose when faced with more than one subforum section.

 

The terrible, pointless, incompetent threads... on the other hand... are real estate, as far as I am concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People go where they feel they'll get exposure and traffic.

General discussion has and always will be rather nebulous in what constitutes "general" discussion on any board though.  And on occasion there's a newly hired mod that's gung-ho and goes through and sweeps the GD forum regularly before either being told to stop or gives up.  There really is no winning here.  The torrent of new threads is relentless. 

And if you really want to parse it down by what other sub forums are available, all we'd be left with for general discussion are Warframe centered meme posts, discussions on story developments and maybe wild post live-stream postulations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lost_Cartographer said:

People go where they feel they'll get exposure and traffic.

General discussion has and always will be rather nebulous in what constitutes "general" discussion on any board though.  And on occasion there's a newly hired mod that's gung-ho and goes through and sweeps the GD forum regularly before either being told to stop or gives up.  There really is no winning here.  The torrent of new threads is relentless. 

And if you really want to parse it down by what other sub forums are available, all we'd be left with for general discussion are Warframe centered meme posts, discussions on story developments and maybe wild post live-stream postulations.

Very true, but I can't help but stare at requests and development feedback threads being posted and think to myself "Do you think putting it in general discussions gets it more exposure?" Not to mention the well-known, but rarely-applied factoid that DE couldn't possibly listen to every little feedback thread. No even sure why people post feedback anymore when the next big update is bound to be a new gameplay system that flourishes for 30 minutes before crashing and burning. 

*exhales pessimistic toxic fumes*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Dhrekr said:

I always try to report misplaced threads to have them moved. But I must accept that most people start bleeding from the nose when faced with more than one subforum section.

 

The terrible, pointless, incompetent threads... on the other hand... are real estate, as far as I am concerned.

Can they shut down your account the same as reporting too much in game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Aura said:

I can't help but stare at requests and development feedback threads being posted and think to myself "Do you think putting it in general discussions gets it more exposure?"

They might not be looking to reach developers and affect change. Could be they're just looking to reach more people overall and promote the attention they get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aura said:

Very true, but I can't help but stare at requests and development feedback threads being posted and think to myself "Do you think putting it in general discussions gets it more exposure?" Not to mention the well-known, but rarely-applied factoid that DE couldn't possibly listen to every little feedback thread. No even sure why people post feedback anymore when the next big update is bound to be a new gameplay system that flourishes for 30 minutes before crashing and burning. 

*exhales pessimistic toxic fumes*

 

There is also the issue that if you are on a mobile device or tablet that you have to scroll down 3 sets of forum subsections to find the Feedback section unless you are actively looking for it, it can be easily missed. If we had a sticky in the General Forums directing players with feedback to the Feedback section of the forums Id wager it may cut down on about 30% of the misplaced posts. Sadly 70% of them are I fear there to stir the pot.

@Letter13 Is it possible to have a couple stickys at the top of the General forum to help direct feedback and bug reports?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I have two topics in the Feedback category, but I noticed whenever someone comments on one of the topics, the topic does not get bumped up to the list of most recent topics/replies list, I'm guessing due to it being in the Feedback categories. 

So sadly, neither of my feedback topics build up any kind of momentum to get seen by others that may like the ideas posted. 

If others have noticed this too, it could be why they try to post feedback outside of the feedback section I guess. 

Edit - If anyone is interested in the teo topics I posted, I can link them in this post 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kwlingo said:

Can they shut down your account the same as reporting too much in game?

I'm not sure I get the grammar here, but I'm pretty sure they can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd hardly call most of these feedback.

Feedback needs to be precise, objective, calm, structured and everything else which most of GD isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some players are ignorant, some knowingly so, to the existence of the other sub-forums on these boards and thus assume it goes here. While others have this bizarre belief that feedback needs to be seen by other players and not by the developers.

 

Though really there should be a pinned thread in General Discussion explaining all of this just because this sub has always been a dumpster fire of misplaced threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just accept some people will not be able to find the right place to post.

aWx0dP3_460swp.webp

I've been searching for like 20 minutes for this pic, hope you appreciate it 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aura said:

This is kind of a dumpster fire to look at. Half of these are questions that should be in Players Helping Players and the other half are feedback threads. I know this is a bit meta of a thread, but can we please get this sorted out? A combination of the community not being dummies and the mods moving threads to the right places?

722f7143e65ea5a6c2085f7495a8a25c.png

Reading is hard, for the most part. 

I try to report to mods when a thread is misplaced and they're typically good at getting things sorted, when they know something needs moving. 

There used to be a sticky in general discussion but it went away during one of the last forum updates.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aura said:

This is kind of a dumpster fire to look at. Half of these are questions that should be in Players Helping Players and the other half are feedback threads. I know this is a bit meta of a thread, but can we please get this sorted out? A combination of the community not being dummies and the mods moving threads to the right places?

722f7143e65ea5a6c2085f7495a8a25c.png

Is easy... a lot of people watch general discussion, no one watch feedback. So... if i have to spent time for write an idea, i'll do in "general discussion", so more people will look at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MollAgdeduba said:

Is easy... a lot of people watch general discussion, no one watch feedback. So... if i have to spent time for write an idea, i'll do in "general discussion", so more people will look at it.

But... The Feedback section is read by DE, while GD (in theory), not necessarily? So while the OP might feel their idea gets better known when posted in GD, the right people won't know about it. Or maybe they're planning something like this:

Step 1: post feedback in General Discussion

Step 2: a lot of people will comment on your thread

Step 3: ask a moderator to move your thread to the Feedback section

Step 4: now you have a thread in Feedback with unusually high comment count, so when someone from DE looks at it, they'll think your idea is awesome!

Step 5: ???

Step 6: Grofit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, trst said:

Though really there should be a pinned thread in General Discussion explaining all of this just because this sub has always been a dumpster fire of misplaced threads.

The thing about pinned forum instructions is that the people who will read them don't need to do so, and the people who need to read them never will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because most players seem to operate under the false assumption of 'Subforum most popular among players = subforum that's the best way to address to the developers'.

 

I'll ask if something can get pinned. We used to have a thread of mine that was pinned, don't quite know what happened to it (forum may have auto-archived it for inactivity).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

I'll ask if something can get pinned. We used to have a thread of mine that was pinned, don't quite know what happened to it (forum may have auto-archived it for inactivity).

The announcement still exists in the source code of the subforum, and can be seen on occasion when the webpage loads slowly, particularly on mobile.

Already mentioned this to Marcus to no avail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the "feedback" are just half-baked, low-effort rants anyway, it always gets derailed when people start memeing/witty snarky comments or OP goes mental on posters who disagree with them. Might as well rename GD to "General Drama".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RamonLeeYJ said:

Might as well rename GD to "General Drama".

Hey, don't say that so judgingly! Some people watch soap operas. Some come here to read and occasionally write comments while munching popcorn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because they feel it's more important voicing with users than alone and they aren't that wrong tho. Feedback is swarming in post and sticky threads also. I don't mind them unless they start to bring the assumptions essays on how the game would be improved to fit their preferences and sadly that is like 80% of the "feedback" threads posted here.

23 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

The announcement still exists in the source code of the subforum, and can be seen on occasion when the webpage loads slowly, particularly on mobile.

Already mentioned this to Marcus to no avail.

I've seen that and I've always try to read it but it dissapears so fast than I can't read it complete. I've tried searching for it also and I can't find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hace 12 horas, Aura dijo:

Very true, but I can't help but stare at requests and development feedback threads being posted and think to myself "Do you think putting it in general discussions gets it more exposure?" Not to mention the well-known, but rarely-applied factoid that DE couldn't possibly listen to every little feedback thread. No even sure why people post feedback anymore when the next big update is bound to be a new gameplay system that flourishes for 30 minutes before crashing and burning. 

*exhales pessimistic toxic fumes*

 

I dont know if this your first forum. I think this is my 4th. Before being here, i played FFXIV for some years, and before that one, i had some other mmorpgs.

I can assure you, every forum is more or less the same. People complaining the devs dont listen to them. People being toxic or trying to troll. Heated discussions. People who pretend to know more than they really know. People who is burn out...

And its true, the developers couldnt be more different. But their feedback is the same. Sometimes they reply some thread, but they stay mostly silent. My opinion is they enter the forums twice a month or so and read something. Besides that, the only thing they do is posting threads of bug fixes and updates

I think forums only serve one purpose: Allow people to vent. So if you expect to make a change...you will be dissapointed. People need to form a mob and rally the forums for some change to happen.

So you have two options: Being pessimistic and leave the forums, or being positive and proactive. If both choices produce the same outcome...what will you choose? Personally i prefer to be the most positive i can. Sulking and saying: "Its a waste of energy" is also a valid option i wont deny that, and completely understandable.

If i want to vent, i can do it. If i want to give constructive criticism, i can do the effort and write a well thought post. And who knows. Maybe in their ocassional twice a month visit, some developer will click my thread, read my venting or criticism and something will call their attention. Or maybe my thread could be read by many people, they agree with me and proceed to rally (spam) the forums demanding change (though i highly doubt it, i havent so much charm).

So feedback isnt really feedback. General discussion isnt really general discussion. You could eliminate all the subforums and open a new one named Recycle bin. Your threads would receive the same exposure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is there so much meta complaining in GD instead of off topic? 🤔

Most people don't post feedback in feedback because they a) don't know where to post what in general b) want to discuss their feedback with the community before posting on Reddit and or feedback section c) know de browses GD and off topic sometimes or d) they don't care and need to vent/rant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, xHeretic said:

I've seen that and I've always try to read it but it dissapears so fast than I can't read it complete. I've tried searching for it also and I can't find it.

Gimme an hour or so to get home from work and I'll post some screenshots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably because there's no "Suggestions" category. Ideas for improvements or changes aren't really "feedback," feedback is more responding to releases with what you like an dislike. The closest thing is really the "Fan Zone" with a subcategory of fan concepts. If there were a clear "Ideas/Suggestions" sub in the community area, not buried under subcategories of subcategories, and not under a blanket term which only half applies to it, people would probably put stuff in the right spot more.

As it is they want a general discussion about their concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...