Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why the vendetta against Archwing?

A long rant here....Because I was one of the few that really like AW. I even solo interceptions when people thought was impossible with AW when AW was first released.

And I dare say the reason why AW is in this state because DE has already treated Archwing as maintenance mode.
Moving forward DE is going to focus on Railjack for any large scale space / aerial combat. Modular AW is nice, but it won't fix the core issues that DE chooses to ignore.
Now to cite the long list of issues....

1) When AW was first released, enemies did ton of damage. A volley of missiles was literally enough to one volley most Archwings.
Then DE nerfs the stagger, damage and conveniently forgets about it until they release Railjack.

Cue Railjack launch. Every single veteran Archwing player got Vietnam Flashbacks when a single volley of crew ship missiles tore open all but the tankiest AW to shreds. Specifically Amesha.

That's why one of the first patch for Railjack was to give AW temporary invulnerability when entering or exiting ships.
That change made Amesha usable in RJ but no one is going to touch the rest as players know the other AWs can't mitigate that kind of damage.

2) Arch guns perform so poorly that they need a statistical buff to do decently on the ground. 
Just look at the stat difference between a AW Imperator Vandal and the Imperator Vandal as a heavy weapon.
Trust me, you would hate Profit taker if the Heavy weapon stats were the same as AW weapon stats..

3) As mentioned RJ is DE's baby. But seeing people using AWs to snipe at enemies is not what they wanted.
So they removed hitscan from AW weapons (if any) and replaced it with a slow projectile speed. 
So much so that only certain AW weapons are usable as the enemies are very fast.

The end result ? More Amesha use, because only Amesha can slow down the targets enough to shoot them properly and thankfully use the full AW arsenal.
Heck Odnata's missiles CAN'T even catch up with enemy fighters.  So good luck using Elytron arsenal for anything.

And again this is a useless knee jerk reaction that DE refuses to roll back. 
Because for the last 3 months, people were void holing the entire Veil tileset back and forth. Now they just change it to tether or seeker volley instead.

Because once your ships got strong enough, you are faster than AW, you are tankier than AW. And you can nuke waaay better than AW.
Everything was straight up better. In fact Archwing gameplay was no longer existent in Gian point for several months.
People only use AW when they have to board something in Veil, like a Galleon or sentient ship,

Basically AW is dead and buried for any form of endgame space content

4) And did I mentioned how ridiculously DE nerfed their abilities in open world or under water ?
Heck underwater was the worst btw as AWs are sooo slow. 
Only Amesha was largely unaffected.

So all AWs (exception for Amesha) for all endgame purpose is dead and buried.

They are a nice jackpack to taxi around in open world because K drives (shudder) are objectively worse at that role.

But no one is going to use their abilities in open world because DE nerfed them so heavily so why bother ?

Also they no longer have a niche in endgame space combat since RJ has surpassed them in every way even before the armor nerf on enemies.
And even then, DE still refuses to roll back nerfs that are completely unnecessary.

Edited by fatpig84
Clean up to be less "ranty"
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fatpig84 said:

A long rant here....Because I was one of the few that really like AW. I even solo interceptions when people thought was impossible with AW when AW was first released.

And I dare say the reason why AW is in this state because DE has already treated Archwing as maintenance mode.
Moving forward DE is going to focus on Railjack for any large scale space / aerial combat. Modular AW is nice, but it won't fix the core issues that DE chooses to ignore.
Now to cite the long list of issues....

1) When AW was first released, enemies did ton of damage. A volley of missiles was literally enough to one volley most Archwings.
Then DE nerfs the stagger, damage and conveniently forgets about it until they release Railjack.

Cue Railjack launch. Every single veteran Archwing player got Vietnam Flashbacks when a single volley of crew ship missiles tore open all but the tankiest AW to shreds. Specifically Amesha.

That's why one of the first patch for Railjack was to give AW temporary invulnerability when entering or exiting ships.
That change made Amesha usable in RJ but no one is going to touch the rest as players know the other AWs can't mitigate that kind of damage.

2) Arch guns perform so poorly that they need a statistical buff to do decently on the ground. 
Just look at the stat difference between a AW Imperator Vandal and the Imperator Vandal as a heavy weapon.
Trust me, you would hate Profit taker if the Heavy weapon stats were the same as AW weapon stats..

3) As mentioned RJ is DE's baby. But seeing people using AWs to snipe at enemies is not what they wanted.
So they removed hitscan from AW weapons (if any) and replaced it with a slow projectile speed. 
So much so that only certain AW weapons are usable as the enemies are very fast.

The end result ? More Amesha use, because only Amesha can slow down the targets enough to shoot them properly and thankfully use the full AW arsenal.
Heck Odnata's missiles CAN'T even catch up with enemy fighters.  So good luck using Elytron arsenal for anything.

And again this is a useless knee jerk reaction that DE refuses to roll back. 
Because for the last 3 months, people were void holing the entire Veil tileset back and forth. Now they just change it to tether or seeker volley instead.

Because once your ships got strong enough, you are faster than AW, you are tankier than AW. And you can nuke waaay better than AW.
Everything was straight up better. In fact Archwing gameplay was no longer existent in Gian point for several months.
People only use AW when they have to board something in Veil, like a Galleon or sentient ship,

Basically AW is dead and buried for any form of endgame space content

4) And did I mentioned how ridiculously DE nerfed their abilities in open world or under water ?
Heck underwater was the worst btw as AWs are sooo slow. 
Only Amesha was largely unaffected.

So all AWs (exception for Amesha) for all endgame purpose is dead and buried.

They are a nice jackpack to taxi around in open world because K drives (shudder) are objectively worse at that role.

But no one is going to use their abilities in open world because DE nerfed them so heavily so why bother ?

Also they no longer have a niche in endgame space combat since RJ has surpassed them in every way even before the armor nerf on enemies.
And even then, DE still refuses to roll back nerfs that are completely unnecessary.

Well put.

20 hours ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

3 players can archwing (amesha) a Veil mission faster than trying to use railjack and forge.

I've seen well equipped RJ finishing Gian in 2 minutes, but I've never seen people do so with AW

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Traumtulpe said:

You should try Amesha, its better than a Warframe. Infinite energy, all enemies are permanently slowed to a crawl, you are permanently invincible and can make objectives permanently invicible too, and you can drop a bunch of bullet absorbing energy fields that last over a minute (they also block rockets).

I can still get knocked out of the air on open worlds missions even with Amesha's defensive shield running. It's pretty buggy compared to when using in actual Archwing/RJ missions.

1 hour ago, HoustonDragon said:

I can still get knocked out of the air on open worlds missions even with Amesha's defensive shield running.

You get a red warning on screen when anti-air missiles home in on you. Hide behind the core of a bubble or dash.

I recently did Fortuna bounties to get some Mecha mods I was missing, getting the bonus was easier with Amesha than with a max range Limbo.

13 minutes ago, Traumtulpe said:

You get a red warning on screen when anti-air missiles home in on you. Hide behind the core of a bubble or dash.

Sure, but then how is that any different than any other Archwing? Amesha's shields are designed to absorb damage, like during Railjack missions when crewships/fighters are blasting away against the number of charges running. It does not work properly in open world and needs to be debugged, since even with a full set of charges, it will dismount.

Fortunately, you can hop back onto your Archwing while in mid-air as long as you have it readily hotkeyed.