Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When I Host A Game, My Teammembers Have Lag

Dunkelheit

Question

I use DSL 16.000, I never ever had problems with a game and when speedtesting my connection everything comes up with "perfect". I even use the "fastpath" setting (as I already told, I have no problems in other games whatsoever).

So please tell me, what can I do to improve my hosting capabilities?

9 answers to this question

DSL connections are very bad, this is not about your download speed but upload at the moment. To improve your hosting you should first tell us your real download/upload (speedtest.com), after that is done You may take a look here: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

and with your data we can help you optimize your connection to its best. But don't expect miracles - best solution is to change your ISP that gives you good upload speeds those usually are Cable or Fiber Optics.

@edit for KingKeif, That is his opinion and You should learn to respect it - he might be just about right its 50/50.

Edited by CyklonDX

Overall DSL isn't that great when it comes to bandwith. What matters for hosting is your actual upload speed, it should be over 1Mbit/s, preferably 2Mbit/s and above.

If your game runs slow then your computer might also be the reason, but if you have over 30 fps hosting then you shouldn't have any problems.

DSL is terrible. It's dialup.

NEVER. EVER. HOST. if you have DSL.

There is your reason right there. It might be fine for you to play as a client, but DSL's upload speed is so piss poor that it would be impossible for you to host a peer-to-peer game at a decent speed.

Ok, so you guys are saying that 14.000 kBit/sec download and 768 kBit/sec upload is not enough to host a game?

I have played Quake with an ISDN connection and it went fine and lag free. And this was 64kbit up and download.

This was ages ago, but I never ever had problems hosting any game up till now.

DSL is far from being terrible... no game should really max this out. If it does, the netcode is S#&$ty.

Ok, so you guys are saying that 14.000 kBit/sec download and 768 kBit/sec upload is not enough to host a game?

Yes. Your upload speed is less than 100 KB/s.

Also there might be the possibility that your ISP is sub-par, your computer is sub-par, or you have your region set incorrectly and thus are playing with people from the other side of the world.