Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Outdated Parkour Thread] It Finally Happened! (Voice Your Opinion In The Poll!)

Aure7

Great effort in first post.

My main issue is it dosent feel very controllable.

So when i start any advanced ninja moves, im never sure ill get where i want to get. The transitions from surface to surface need improvement, and as stated, linking them all together.

I have enough 3rd person shooters that let me shoot stuff, i want ninja space-magic stuff: jumping about and stealth and pressing 4 (joking).

• 2 weeks later...

I had to come back to this thread after reading the first post again -- I dredged it up to show a friend -- and I had an idea that I don't think has been mentioned.

You know, better movement physics could be a great way to differentiate the lighter, faster frames from the heavier ones. A vault-from-low-item or quick one-handed ledge mantle could be a great incentive to play someone besides Rhino.

Basically, consider Dark Souls with its equip load system. If I could have a character whose entire movement physics were more rapid, I'd gladly give up a lot of mechanical effectiveness.

• 3 weeks later...

+1

I still remember the first time rolling off into the deep abyss because of small falls off a box or something.

In any case this is very much appreciated and i would love to see more fluidity in the parkour system, hopeuflly something will come with melee 2.0

Edited by Zardbooster

IMO parkour 2.0 should've come before melee 2.0, considering we spend so much time moving around in comparison to the relatively small amount of time we spend hacking things to bits.

Ah well, perhaps after all this end game/hubworld stuff is sorted we'll get a proper movement system.

Awesome Feedback. You have my respect sir!!! I agree to 100% Parkour and Movement in generall needs a great deal of tweaking and work and it needs it fast, this is not something DE should push aside with the regular "there are more important things right now" argument.

I would like to add to your list (maybe you can actually add it) how "floaty" the walking and sprinting can be, when turning directions it often feels that you kind of sliding across the floor a bit, everythings just a little unresponsive and not as smooth as it should be! 

As a Veteran i actually managed to make the movement as it is the game work for me by exploiting it´s physics to my advantage, wich in no way means i wouldn´t like it a 1000x times more if it were smoother and more responsive. But by far the most important thing is probably the integration of free-wallrun, that would make it unbelievably more usefull and fun at the same time.

We know you are busy DE but this is something more then worthy of your attention, if anybody from you see this let us know your thoughts please.

greetings 

r0ckwolf

When I see how long it takes DE to tweak and fine-tune a vital aspect of their game like "melee 2.0", I have big doubts an over-haul like this would see the day any time soon ...  Seriously DE, you have "abandoned" the two aspects of the game I enjoy the most and patience is running out. We get flooded with weapons and prime stuff but when it comes to the evolution of the core game-play, I see little to no progress. Please step it up DE !

with the addition of the zephyr with her flying , and zipping around the levels , and the way she can woosh past the levels (which is both really fun , and effective ) ,  this mean  that i'm flying , not  parkouring my way through levels when i have to do a running level  . With a  frame that can fly , smoothing / fixing parkour  has pretty much been nailed in the coffin  epally with how point defense focused this game has been / currently is .

• 2 weeks later...

The parkour, aerial control, and slide momentum are close to perfection in this game. You can pretty much traverse any room without touching the floor. If you are finding it clunky maybe you just need more experience playing the game, or you need to be more experimental with your control set-up or your mechanics. 

I've been playing the game continually for a year and I'm constantly amazed how there is always a new technique for me to learn and refine. I've recently started using backwards slide attacks and paying a lot of attention to camera direction and camera turning to gain more distance and precision out of my wall-jumps. As well as integrating crouching and aiming into my movement sequences.  Getting good at the parkour in this game is a lot like playing a musical instrument. Eventually instinct pays off and your can perform amazing mobility "phrases".

The parkour, aerial control, and slide momentum are close to perfection in this game. You can pretty much traverse any room without touching the floor. If you are finding it clunky maybe you just need more experience playing the game, or you need to be more experimental with your control set-up or your mechanics. 

I've been playing the game continually for a year and I'm constantly amazed how there is always a new technique for me to learn and refine. I've recently started using backwards slide attacks and paying a lot of attention to camera direction and camera turning to gain more distance and precision out of my wall-jumps. As well as integrating crouching and aiming into my movement sequences.  Getting good at the parkour in this game is a lot like playing a musical instrument. Eventually instinct pays off and your can perform amazing mobility "phrases".

Trolling? Sarcasm?

It's could be your opinion and all but it's actually surprising anybody would call Warframe's movement, parkour etc close to perfection after all of OP's posts

Trolling? Sarcasm?

It's could be your opinion and all but it's actually surprising anybody would call Warframe's movement, parkour etc close to perfection after all of OP's posts

Yes, I am giving my opinion. My experience is quite different than the OPs. Playing this game was a revelation to me about how good games can be control-wise. And the Parkour is a large reason why I kept playing and pushing myself to improve month after month.  I do not have problem utilizing the game's movement system as an extension of myself. It fits me like a glove. And as I tried to suggest in my post, maybe it's just the year of experience, or the fact that I changed my control scheme to support a parkour heavy combat system. (Sprint is my left mouse button).

For a bit a reference here's a video of my playstyle. http://www.twitch.tv/ryjeon/c/3951022/popout

I utilize movement "chains" With almost constant quick slides to get extra range out of melee strikes, and to always be in a stance to respond. Perhaps the OP and others who do not like the "auto" roll don't comprehend the quirks and strengths of the current movement system.

TLDR; I play like a ninja, so can you

Edited by Ryjeon

Ryjeon posts were so rough they almost made me feel bad. But he's no way trolling.

I have started playing on easter event, because I remember grineer having bunny ears on my very first mission. And since then I have almost 600 hours on steam, and I keep myself from playing more because I wait for things like damage 2.0 and now melee 2.0

I had plenty of time to get to know how exactly movement physics work and how to abuse them. I don't have problems utilizing the game

's movement system as you do. I am able to do, and often doing everything you do in the video and I can't remember since when, it feels like forever.

Ironically though, one time (only got to watch ~60 secs because twitch won't load any faster) in the video YOU fell out of the boundaries just because wallrun ended up unexpectedly shooting you into undesired direction and autoroll directing you into another undesired direction, which lead to you falling off. And this happens to all of us, more or less depending on how aggressively we try to parkour. There is no point to defend parkour like you do when the thread is pointing out exact issues and not encouraging to suddenly change the entire style of it in a way that will destroy any combos or moves people got used to by now. Even the effects of constant butt sliding and coptering are encouraged to be nerfed only outside of combat and parkour.

I gotta agree though that I can barely get used to any other third person shooter after warframe, just because some core features and animations just feel right and the devs know which. But why would you come in and say "parkour is close to perfection" as if you are trying to say this thread is pointless, when it would clearly save us (thousands of other players, if not you) a lot of time and frustration when wallruns would blend and initiate just by a split-second faster, wallrun leaps would be at manageable strength and direction, vaults would gave us more freedom with leap strength varying on our speed, and so on.

Yes, I am giving my opinion. My experience is quite different than the OPs. Playing this game was a revelation to me about how good games can be control-wise. And the Parkour is a large reason why I kept playing and pushing myself to improve month after month.  I do not have problem utilizing the game's movement system as an extension of myself. It fits me like a glove. And as I tried to suggest in my post, maybe it's just the year of experience, or the fact that I changed my control scheme to support a parkour heavy combat system. (Sprint is my left mouse button).

For a bit a reference here's a video of my playstyle. http://www.twitch.tv/ryjeon/c/3951022/popout

I utilize movement "chains" With almost constant quick slides to get extra range out of melee strikes, and to always be in a stance to respond. Perhaps the OP and others who do not like the "auto" roll don't comprehend the quirks and strengths of the current movement system.

TLDR; I play like a ninja, so can you

Your video was a perfect example of just how stiff and inflexible the movement of Warframe is.

The rigidness of the wallruns, jumps, slides, slide attacks seemed ridiculously broken in terms of fluidity.

@ Aure7

I say it's close to perfection because that's what it feels like to me. I'm very satisfied when I play this game at my peak performance. That satisfaction is the greatest indicator of perfection I can think of as far as any given person's gaming objectives.

The fact that I often miss my jumps and animation cancels in no way detracts from this satisfaction. In fact it makes it even more satisfying when I do connect with the jumps that I am aiming for. Or when the "sticky" wall-run mechanics surprises me with a new and interesting path.  It can be difficult, but it's not impossible to have perfect control and knowledge of the game's systems and your characters movement. So I do not support making things easier when it's already so dynamic and interesting.

I apologize for my poor grammar and paragraph structure. I am fatigued.

And merry F*** you!

@ ExplodingStars

You and I may perceive a different notion of fluidity. Because playing this game feels like the very definition of fluidity. It's like surfing. You aren't 100% in control of the wave. You exist in a state of suspension and then guide yourself in collaboration with the wave's structure. Within the bounds of that structure there is elegant fluidity.

This thread is a bunch of people wishing to change the wave. And I am suggesting you change the surfer.

Edited by Ryjeon

@ Aure7

I say it's close to perfection because that's what it feels like to me. I'm very satisfied when I play this game at my peak performance. That satisfaction is the greatest indicator of perfection I can think of as far as any given person's gaming objectives.

The fact that I often miss my jumps and animation cancels in no way detracts from this satisfaction. In fact it makes it even more satisfying when I do connect with the jumps that I am aiming for. Or when the "sticky" wall-run mechanics surprises me with a new and interesting path.  It can be difficult, but it's not impossible to have perfect control and knowledge of the game's systems and your characters movement. So I do not support making things easier when it's already so dynamic and interesting.

I apologize for my poor grammar and paragraph structure. I am fatigued.

And merry F*** you!

@ ExplodingStars

You and I may perceive a different notion of fluidity. Because playing this game feels like the very definition of fluidity. It's like surfing. You aren't 100% in control of the wave. You exist in a state of suspension and then guide yourself in collaboration with the wave's structure. Within the bounds of that structure there is elegant fluidity.

This thread is a bunch of people wishing to change the wave. And I am suggesting you change the surfer.

... ? The surfer is the Warframe on the waves called Maps. And we're 100% in control of the Warframe. 

You're comparing something as erratic as waves to something as static as the Tilesets that exists in the game...

The maps doesn't directly assume control over or guide our movements such as sliding, wall running, jumping. We do 

And the vast majority of the posts here clearly suggest we want to change the surfer.

Edited by ExplodingStars

... ? The surfer is the Warframe on the waves called Maps. And we're 100% in control of the Warframe. 

You're comparing something as erratic as waves to something as static as the Tilesets that exists in the game...

The maps doesn't directly assume control over or guide our movements such as sliding, wall running, jumping. We do 

And the vast majority of the posts here clearly suggest we want to change the surfer.

The waves are the mechanics and conditions of the game. The Surfer is how you interface with the game physically and psychologically. The tilesets are predictable. But the objectives and conditions in a given moment are less so. I'm very happy with balance of mobility during this iteration of warframe's development. It constantly surprises me with it's versatility and engages my sense of dexterity and artifice.

Edited by Ryjeon

(snip)

(/snip)

Glad to see this thread's still alive and kicking.

I'd just like to point out that Aure7 is hardly proposing to make things easier. What he's proposing is to make things smoother. My main gripe with Warframe's wallrunning isn't that it's often unpredictable and counterintuitive, it's that it looks stiff and janky, and that contributes to the feeling of stiffness and whatnot as well. I'm not saying it's too difficult, I'm just saying that it's stiff.