Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Outdated Parkour Thread] It Finally Happened! (Voice Your Opinion In The Poll!)

Aure7

This is a great thread, it has been an ongoing battle to get DE's attention when it comes to movement refining. This game is far from smooth like assassins creed, prince of persia, mirrors edge, etc.

add this to the list of other gameplay systems like melee, ability casting, cover system, stealth, executions, draw damage, rolling, sliding, and others that desperately need overhauling. The list goes on, but we are making progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a great deal of time putting more pictures, examples, videos, edits. Also discussing the new vaulting that has been added. Will add a lot more in the upcoming day or two.

Bump this S#&$ up and add up to the discussion, GO GO GO GO!!!

I've added some thoughts about this constant slipping everyone does to gain speed, personally I hate it but after so many hours it becomes a reflex. It's written at the very bottom, please read it and share your thoughts if that would be a good solution, PLEASE?! 

Edited by Aure7

holly crap oO, nice post man. i totally agree, for a game that prides itself with fast paced ninja movement and agility, the actual maneuvers in the game feel very very awkward most of the time. Fluidity and ease of controll have not been acomplished yet, so i suggest DE should take a very big piece of advise from this Thread and start focusing on this stuff right away.^^

+1

Nothing can get momentum mid-air unless it's propelled.

No movement should be faster than straightup running.

If I grab to a ledge my character should use its momentum to flip or vault over the ledge I'm grabbing on.

The distinction between vertical and horizontal wallrunning needs to go and should be replaced by a freerunning system allowing for finely tuned changes during the wallrun.

Autorolling has become a nightmare. Replace it by a short standing slide that decelerates the character.

This. And the whole first post. But yes. Signed. This is amazing.

PLAY OVERGROWTH, DE. Privmsg me. I will buy you 10 copies. No ish.

I have only one disagreement with the OP: Removing the ability to catapult yourself (I mean proper catapulting, not wall jumps/kicks in general) would feel to me like having my wings pulled off after getting so good at flying across the room and getting into crazy hiding spots with my speed-tweaked Loki.  You already do a slower, shorter walljump if you let yourself run on the wall for just a second instead of kicking off right away.  Definitely agree that we need to be given control over the direction of the jump though.  I think that alone would solve a lot of cases of overshooting/getting stuck without having to make freebirds like me give up their Loki-wings.  Another way perhaps would be if you could "charge up" momentum for your jumps by holding down a button, so that long-distance catapults would be something you have to do deliberately.  I'll admit though I haven't given a lot of thought to how that might work with the current controls.

Edited by BLOODGAZMS

I, for one, actually love the quick catapult launch from a minor wall run. I feel that's easily controllable and its nice to have in some circumstances. Regardless of whatever logic behind it, I use this option on purpose nearly every match to get around.

I'm not digging the hand-rail jump they added in Update 11... at all. I would always long-jump right at the edge of a rail and now most of the time I can't because it grabs the hand rail and does a really weak little jump.

I'd say, get rid of the hand-rail grab... it really doesn't add much to anything because if you actually wanted to "jump" a handrail, well, you can just jump it. It will get you farther.

I'm not digging the hand-rail jump they added in Update 11... at all. I would always long-jump right at the edge of a rail and now most of the time I can't because it grabs the hand rail and does a really weak little jump.

I'd say, get rid of the hand-rail grab... it really doesn't add much to anything because if you actually wanted to "jump" a handrail, well, you can just jump it. It will get you farther.

well then please take a close look at the my suggestions. My goal is to suggest something that should please everyone, and especially people like you when it comes to vaulting. I hate the current vaulting as well, but the worst thing to do is to reject everything they're trying to improve.

In the original post I am saying that vaulting should send you far and quickly when you sprint to it. Just like you and all of us want it (There's even a picture with point arrows)

and only when walking it should vault over and send you straight down somewhat similarly to now.

well then please take a close look at the my suggestions. My goal is to suggest something that should please everyone, and especially people like you when it comes to vaulting. I hate the current vaulting as well, but the worst thing to do is to reject everything they're trying to improve.

In the original post I am saying that vaulting should send you far and quickly when you sprint to it. Just like you and all of us want it (There's even a picture with point arrows)

and only when walking it should vault over and send you straight down somewhat similarly to now.

i do like your suggestion. that would be cool. i am not trying to complain about it nilly willy, i just felt that it didn't add anything.. kinda like adding a broken feature to something that already worked fine.  i will be curious to see how it turns out. they should just listen to you :)

Really sucks to see them discuss so many cool things on livestream, while pretending that parkour is already perfect. Anyway I've added a little more feedback on vaulting which I have 0 hopes to be fixed. They need a new employee to shake things around and get some work done on these. 

Edited by Aure7

I agree that the movement style was what drew me to warframe in the past and the only thing I thought made the game unique...but the enemies have hitscan weapons and are 100% accurate. What's more, they don't get scared or lose track of this crazy skilled ninja running around. I mean, they've never fought Tenno before, or at least that's what I gathered so far; they should be a bit confused by what they can do. The enemy AI needs to be adjusted alongside the movement system to make it viable, otherwise you're scaling walls and climbing easily but with no purpose.

Edit: I mean, I've been talking about this for months and nothing's been done, so I don't expect a change, but I do enjoy the research and the time that went into this thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants this game to be good.

Edited by LordofTibera

I love the current movement system because the skill cap is pretty much infinite. I've been playing since March and I see my ability to move the warframe in compelling ways improving constantly. There are so many little combos that require precise timing, but once you can pull it off the results are phenomenal. I discovered a vertical wall-jump recently that let's me jump higher than Exca's Superjump, and I'm steadily learning how to execute it consistently.

I worry that any "fixes" to the movement system will end up being more limiting, and that would feel like a gut punch.

Edited by Ryjeon