Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What does it take to calculate basic DPS in the Arsenal now?

(NSW)Greybones

Question

Hi everyone. I was wondering about DPS calculation, and if it’s simply a matter of taking the Fire rate and multiplying it by the Total Damage, or if there’s something else I’d need to do (sometimes maths in Warframe scares me 😅)

I know Multishot will most likely complicate things, but for my purposes I won’t be needing it very much, so that can be considered as not factoring in if it makes it easier.

edit: Just to clarify, I’m interested in what I can do within the Arsenal interface. I got crit, I got fire rate, and I got Total Damage which may or may not have an elemental component to it

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
Adjusted title to be a better reflection of my question

16 answers to this question

il y a une heure, (NSW)Greybones a dit :

That’s scary.

What if it’s just an approximate number gleaned from whatever my Arsenal shows? I can figure out ability modifiers and damage bonus later out in the field

Yeah you can totally get your own math ofc on the fly even.
While the above users are correct, warframe math is complex when you include variants like body parts and specific enemy types. You can still skip it.

Suddenly the math become simple enough. Body parts do matter in the actual fight but not when making the gear of course.

Fire rate do just multiply by Total Damage. Of course. Long term dps you'll be paying attention to the reload time after hitting a high fire rate though.
Critical damage is determined by the Critical Multiplier multiplied by the Critical Tier you got. Since critical chance can go higher than 100%
And multishot is to add projecticles to your shot.

If your gun only fires one projectile, then +95% Multishot means you have 95% chance to get a 2nd projectile on your shot. In that case, you effectively double the bullets, double the damage. Pretty much like a +100% Total Damage when it happens.

Edited by STUVash
  • Like 1

I’ll look into this, thanks. Did not know about this Overframe

I was more hoping for something quick and dirty that I can calculate while looking at my gear setup in the Arsenal. Something where I can combine the numbers and get a rough approximation of my damage output

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

depends on how close to 'reality' you want to get. including Crits, Body Part Multipliers, Damage Type Modifiers, Ability Buffs, Status Effects, Et Cetera.
it can get pretty complicated, depending on how many of these facets you think are important for whatever comparison you are making at any particular time.
they all matter to the actual Damage you do to the Enemy, but not all of them may matter in a comparison sense.

Edited by taiiat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Hi everyone. I was wondering about DPS calculation, and if it’s simply a matter of taking the Fire rate and multiplying it by the Total Damage, or if there’s something else I’d need to do (sometimes maths in Warframe scares me 😅)

I know Multishot will most likely complicate things, but for my purposes I won’t be needing it very much, so that can be considered as not factoring in if it makes it easier.

Warframe math should scare you. You should be TERRIFIED. Why, you ask? You DARE ask why!?

One does not simply multiply fire rate and total damage, then generate an average between critical chance and multiply that by the critical damage, crit tiers and body multipliers. One must ALSO separate each and every element, divide and multiply them by all of their applicable hitpoint types and then add those together, but also remember that some elements against armor are TWICE as effective as their multiplier alone suggests, being that elements like puncture also ignores the same percentage of armor that it multiplies its own damage by and then all that divided by armor's reduction value. 

Don't even get STARTED on how total damage multipliers effect procs, and how DOTs are both a total and burst damage increase. 

It will NEVER be easy. The only choice is to become an algebra god. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, STUVash said:

Yeah you can totally get your own math ofc on the fly even.
While the above users are correct, warframe math is complex when you include variants like body parts and specific enemy types. You can still skip it.

Suddenly the math become simple enough. Body parts do matter in the actual fight but not when making the gear of course.

Yeah. The moment a round hits the enemy it’s like “Boom! Maths lady!”, and was hoping that just in the Arsenal it’d be a little easier.

What do I actually do with the numbers in the Arsenal though? I figure multiply things, but not sure what, or if it’s even that simple

edit: Thanks for clarifying in the post I quoted. Now to parse it

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

à l’instant, (NSW)Greybones a dit :

Yeah. The moment a round hits the enemy it’s like “Boom! Maths lady!”, and was hoping that just in the Arsenal it’d be a little easier.

What do I actually do with the numbers in the Arsenal though? I figure multiply things, but not sure what, or if it’s even that simple

All mods give bonus according to your base stats.
Elemental mods use the total modded damage as base.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, STUVash said:

All mods give bonus according to your base stats.
Elemental mods use the total modded damage as base.

Is there a way to average Crit somehow? Sometimes a crit will happen and the one second of damage will be much higher than the others

Is there a way to average Crit somehow? Sometimes a crit will happen and the one second of damage will be much higher than the others

I'm not sure I understand the 2nd part of your sentence.
If you using the same conditions trying to land the same hits you saw different damages, then maybe you're hitting different body parts.

6 minutes ago, STUVash said:

I'm not sure I understand the 2nd part of your sentence.
If you using the same conditions trying to land the same hits you saw different damages, then maybe you're hitting different body parts.

A crit would be a random different damage, right? I figure if I wanted to get a rough idea of DPS in the Arsenal, it would have to factor in those crit chances somehow

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

A crit would be a random different damage, right? I figure if I wanted to get a rough idea of DPS, it would have to factor in those crit chances

Nah the damage is always the same, if you're using the same exact setup.
The only random factor is the Critical Chance. Say you have 50% Crit Chance.
You have  50% Chance to have no crit and 50% chance to have a critical hit which multiplies your total damage by the Critical Multiplier.

• Like 1

il y a 5 minutes, (NSW)Greybones a dit :

A crit would be a random different damage, right? I figure if I wanted to get a rough idea of DPS, it would have to factor in those crit chances

You can use the % Crit chance and multiply it with your Critical Multiplier to give you an idea of your average damage. This is a decent indication of your potential DPS.

You can even predict the total damage using procs based on your Status Chance. But that's even more math for you.
Most of the damage equation is multiplications.

Edited by STUVash
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, STUVash said:

Nah the damage is always the same, if you're using the same exact setup.
The only random factor is the Critical Chance. Say you have 50% Crit Chance.
You have  50% Chance to have no crit and 50% chance to have a critical hit which multiplies your total damage by the Critical Multiplier.

Right, it just clicked for me 😅 Sometimes I’m not the sharpest tool in the box.

Thanks for the help. I reckon your posts will be my answer, since I’m asking for a way to simplify in some form an extremely convoluted system

il y a 1 minute, (NSW)Greybones a dit :

Right, it just clicked for me 😅 Sometimes I’m not the sharpest tool in the box.

Thanks for the help. I reckon your posts will be my answer, since I’m asking for a way to simplify in some form an extremely convoluted system

You'll get used to it eventually, come back here sometime and we'll help you again Tenno.

• Like 1

Well warframe maths is complicated,fun and something you possobly cwnt accurately get just by glossing over the stats in screen...it adds a bit fun for me i suppose..

As many have said,the whole maths gets blown to high heaven when takong status into account.. also nowadays status can go over 100%,and stack. Then there is the question of armor shield and damage mitigation. So dps becomes a dynamical calculation. For example, ur frst shot which have a corrosive element do x amount dmg. But due to armor removal 2nd one will do different amount of dmg,even if every other thng remains same.

Crit chance calculation is bit easy. U can just round the whole thing,and calculate.. but for accurate number,ur only source is overframe. There is another site called tennoware as well,though i fing overframe better.

Another more brute force method is to change the way traditionally dps gets calculated. It is somethng i personally use. Head over to simulacrum. Take the beefiest possible enemy (before the nerf it was gokstaad officers,now dnt knw really),and then take ur weapon,and kill...time it...or look at damsge u r doing... A slightly different,but albeit rather hands on,prsctical approach. This procedure actually somewhat even more reliable than overframe,as u can look at the effects of hunter munition type mods,which doesnot drectly affect the dps calculation,but indirectly,becomes biggest source of ur dps...