Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lets have a discussion about, 'forum toxicity and sassy responses'.

Midas

My title elaborates on the sensitive subject that i'd like to discuss here.

Personally, I have seen (7 years) forum toxicity towards many posts that I felt have made a negative effect on our community. So I have a few questions for you guys to kick this discussion off. Do you believe that forum toxicity is bad or just plain natural? Do you believe that forum toxicity on the forums should change, and how would we go about that change? Do you think it is possible to change Warframe's toxic forum culture? Personally, I take the stance of yes. It is indeed possible to change how we reply to others even if the post is 'asking for it' or 'so radical that I just need to roast this person'. The last two statements are usually the main reasons for forum toxicity.

Overall, what are your answers to the above questions? Any opinions on them?

Thanks!

- Midaxe

• Like 7

Just now, UwUber said:

Warframe? Toxic? Yeah, no. Play literally any other online game for 5 minutes and you'll see that warframe is a shining example of community goodwill, with a very few exceptions. 

Is there anything toxic about the forums here that you'd like to see change? Or nah.

Just now, Lazarow said:

We cant change how people express themselfs, its their own right even if they are being completly destructive.

I would have to both agree and disagree with you, I believe a lot of people express themselves because the culture of gaming and this community have inspired others to imitate player's word choices and actions. By changing the culture norm of player's word choices and actions, that discourse can be altered into a more positive form.

• Like 2

Just now, Fallen77 said:

Oh boy I'm hoping for some fat memes to be dropped here...

Hey man, you would have to agree that it is indeed a good discussion idea, regardless if it is quite sensitive.

I understand where you’re coming from, OP. 

Ultimately it’s on the poster to decide the value of their voice, but I’ve found that a hesitation to hit “Submit Reply” helps me gauge my contribution.

Even then I end up editing a few times 😅

If not outright deleting what I’ve written, come to think of it 🤔 Sometimes I straight up decide that I’ve written nothing worth reading

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
  • Like 3

I think its simply the mindset of 'I am right and your argument holds no merit' which causes this. Why engage with an argument if you think it holds no value, instead just be toxic lul.

I think another reason is because you've got players asking for things other players view as stupid. ex. the discussion between endgame raids and fashion frame or the discussion on the 'nerfing' of weapons.

The views need to be assessed as an individual thought and the merits based on the argument itself.

• Like 5

Just now, (PS4)Deeceem said:

I have always the option to stop reading, responding or posting. I don't see why that needs special outside regulation.

Yeah people have already complained about censorship by DE and adding more of that would not be good.

Quite literally nothing goes on here that you won't find in any other online community. And for one based on a game in active development it's actually rather tame given how many conflicting opinions there are relative to similar communities.

So it's more of an "internet culture" issue rather than anything unique to this community and anything that could "fix" it would most likely cause more toxicity and divides between the different sub groups of the community.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Midas said:

Do you believe that forum toxicity is bad or just plain natural?

Any kind of toxicity on any platform is bad. Unfortunately, it's also natural, since there always be insufferable people around. You can't do much about them, except if they reach a level when you can report them. I suggest to put these people on your ignore list - good thing we're on the internet!

Edited by (PS4)Viveeeh
  • Like 3

vor 21 Minuten schrieb Holo:

Yeah people have already complained about censorship by DE and adding more of that would not be good.

Just a bit ago I realized I didn't enjoy a thread and just ejected myself from it. It's really just an ego thing (I fall victim to myself as well sometimes) to care too much about what a bunch of anonymous people on a game forum on the internet say.

There are other things like harrassment or real life threats and those are already handled by rules that are enforced.

"Toxicity" is such an overused term anyways. People should really look up what it actually means. What it doesn't mean for example is replying sassy or in gifs only because you think someone said something silly or having a heated disagreement with someone. Also people have to be receptive for it, so it always takes two (or more) people to become toxic. That's something everyone can work on themselves individualy if they want.

Edited by (PS4)Deeceem
  • Like 1

By forum "toxicity" you mean mods deleting posts which are undesirable for the update hype train where people are complaining about bad deluxe skins and so and so?

That is the one of the issues concerning forums. Second would be removing additional "Like" button options. How can you express your disgust to some outrageous post now?

• Like 7

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Buldozers:

By forum "toxicity" you mean mods deleting posts which are undesirable for the update hype train where people are complaining about bad deluxe skins and so and so?

That is the one of the issues concerning forums. Second would be removing additional "Like" button options. How can you express your disgust to some outrageous post now?

I think I'll start using this for that purpose more often:

attitude dirty look GIF

Edited by (PS4)Deeceem
  • Like 1

I don't really see sass and memes as toxic. Most of the time, it's friendly sass. For example I do it all the time, but rarely out spite. 

The main times people get sassy out of spite is in threads that the OP has already shown they cannot remain respectful. Such as being insulting in the first post, being rude to everyone who responds with a different opinion, or people who use slurs. (anyone remember that guy who called everyone with a different opinion a "soy boy"? Shinning example of this) 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, (XB1)TyeGoo said:

Not the forums.. I'm currently making a post on how feedback threads need to be locked for people to not shut down ideas that don't even affect them in the first place.

This^ 

That's when I get suspicious (tin foil hat time) that DE employees are pretending to not be DE employees and shoot down player feedback with thier "reg player accounts" in the forums because they have thier own agendas. Because implemention of said feedback makes thier work harder to do. Doesn't make sense any other way. That's my theory  anyway.  

Edited by (XB1)YoungGunn82
  • Like 4