Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scott expressed interest in a Sixth Focus School

Zahnny

I forget at which part of the Interview so if anyone has a timestamp feel free to post it with the video, but the Interview with Shy, Scott had mentioned (however I'm unsure if it was anything concrete) about adding a potential Sixth Focus School and having/turning more of the Focus nodes into Waybounds.

I have both my optimism and my pessimism on this idea, while there is going to be concern about having to farm for even more standing, I personally don't find much issue with that myself. Something to help us build more capacity easier for waybounds would be nice.

My concerns stem from a symbolic and design/fashion standpoint.

I own the Raiji Tennogen Syandana and this Syandana is amazing for displaying each Focus School on itself, but if a new Focus School came about, it might invalidate the Raiji Syandana.

for reference:

Spoiler

(Ignore that circle at the top, it was from a warframe skin that didn't make it in)

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/169285249292471683/1DAB1EA073C3B8099FDA109D77DCE3811551681F/

Personally I'm accepting of the idea of new focus schools but I want it to be different, something akin to a "Dark Side" of Focus Schools that were abhorant to the other disciplines.

If not, I suggest a Jack of all Trades focus school, which uses the symbol in the middle of the Raiji Syandana and takes aspects from each of the other 5 schools. Maybe instead of a Jack of All Trades it's considered more of a mastery of all the schools.

Anyway, I'm making this thread to see opinions, discussion and maybe see what ideas others have for a Focus School. Maybe there's a certain Focus Node you wish was a waybound, for myself that'd be either Zenurik's Inner Might or Naramon's Power Spike.

• Like 5

Just now, xHeretic said:

idgaf about that syandanna, focus meeds a rework asap and a syandanna shouldn't be a problem for that. 

yeah I suppose I should've put more effort into explaining it. It's not just the syandana, I want more focus schools but I don't want the old schools to  become irrelevant or meaningless. I'd like them to always be special for one reason or another. Plus I'm not sure how they will tackle The Second Dream if they add another, with dialogue, etc.

• Like 2

I think the best solution would be 5 schools can spit in two variants, adding more this way without spliting to much, like a skill three, expanding on it instead of adding more things to grind only, it only makes it more complicated due one more lens needs to be added and all, focus should be one simply resource honestly instead of this splitting to much.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

Anyway, I'm making this thread to see opinions, discussion and maybe see what ideas others have for a Focus School. Maybe there's a certain Focus Node you wish was a waybound, for myself that'd be either Zenurik's Inner Might or Naramon's Power Spike.

I could see a grandmaster school that needs everything else maxed and unlocked, this school would then let you pick nodes from the other schools, one primary, one secondary and one tertiary. The primary would retain full power, then the other two would have a reduced effect.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Zahnny said:

yeah I suppose I should've put more effort into explaining it. It's not just the syandana, I want more focus schools but I don't want the old schools to  become irrelevant or meaningless. I'd like them to always be special for one reason or another. Plus I'm not sure how they will tackle The Second Dream if they add another, with dialogue, etc.

I've suggested a 6th focus school consisting on a modular one made up with the 5 base schools:

• Like 2

I'd be in favor of a new focus school IF and only then it entails a good rework of the entire system as well - emphasis being on good. Just slapping a sixth school on the base we have now seems not like a good idea since it either has to be as good as Zenurik or it becomes niche or worse right from the get go.

Maybe it's already on the drafting table considering grown up operators will come eventually. Who knows.

• Like 1

Im very fond of this type of system when it comes to options with talents. Where you have a central hub of abilities literally everyone uses, then branch out into specific schools. 

Granted Focus wouldn't be as complex but if the 6th school wasn't really a school at all more of a starting point of skills all Tenno mastered before branching out. And really it wouldn't take much to redo since picking the initial school would just unlock the first path. I say this because were already grinding to unlock the Waybounds as is, it could be simplified.

• Like 2

I don't know about another Focus school, because it would have to highly depend on what this new school gives. If it doesn't give anything better or new of equal value in terms of what is currently available, everybody would go back to Zenurik. And speaking of which, I really hope they change other Focuses to be able to compete with it in some fashion, I know it's nice to have thematic consistency so each school has their own purpose, but it's pretty hard to give up free energy.

And speaking of which, I'd like to be able to remove Lens from our items freely. It should be a pretty simple thing to do, and it feels so odd we haven't been able to do for a long time.

On the topic of the Syandana... I guess it could be some sort of issue? Really I only see it for a problem for people who own and care about it, or the creator. It would be ultimately come down to the creator if they want to update the item or not, if they so choose. Also I'm pretty sure the symbol in the middle is just a Focus affinity-esque symbol, but I'm not too sure.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's the symbol that on the Focus affinity pickup. Completely forgot about it until I just saw it again.

Edited by Scruffel

1 minute ago, (XB1)TyeGoo said:

What bothers me instead of fixing current focus they think adding even more ranks is the way to go, completely ignoring the thousands of plat and hours spent on the lenses that I can't get back.

This annoys me to hell.

I doubt very much they would do that the fall out would be enormous. Revisiting the schools and refunding all focus and shards would be the logical solution they would take if the recent Railjack revised with Avionics is any indication.

16 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

They could make it a separate "exclusive" school from the originals. Just like we got the amps way after we unlocked operators and after being able to do transference. Could be a school unlocked with some quest from The Quills or something, and it wouldn't interfere with the original 5.

Just now, (XB1)TyeGoo said:

I didn't get all the destroyed lenses back last time, so clearly it won't happen. And that frustrates me.

Lens's or focus points? I don't recall any of my lens being removed from weapons well at least they weren't when I took my two year hiatus. If they refund the points like they did Dirac you wouldn't need lens's to redo the focus farm.

New focus school? New Paths? don't see how they'd do it.

• If they add new paths, people with excess focus (refunded or or not) would be done with the "new content" on day 1. so no grind for long time players.
  • If they add a new school, they'd probably refund points so people could re-allocate - and back the previous problem -  no grind for long time players.

With 10-20million excess points in each existing school, there'd be nothing there to make old players grind.  and if there is one thing I've noticed is they don't like to add "content" that respects existing player stockpiles of anything - be it standing, resources, etc - always has to be something nobody has any of to make people do the grind all over again.😑

48 minutes ago, Magus_Tahir said:

Im very fond of this type of system when it comes to options with talents. Where you have a central hub of abilities literally everyone uses, then branch out into specific schools. 

Granted Focus wouldn't be as complex but if the 6th school wasn't really a school at all more of a starting point of skills all Tenno mastered before branching out. And really it wouldn't take much to redo since picking the initial school would just unlock the first path. I say this because were already grinding to unlock the Waybounds as is, it could be simplified.

This looks great. Warframe really should implement talent systems with branching paths and drawbacks. Right now, both focus and intrinsics just ask you to grind immense amounts of xp to max out each node and be done with it, allowing for no build diversity. A system with various paths and a finite number of points to allocate as the player sees fit would be truly amazing, and highly deepen customization. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Magus_Tahir said:

In the podcast that he had with Shy, Brozime, and Tater. He said he wanted to revisit the schools as well. Possibly adding new paths within them. I'm not sure which would be harder honestly. 

The sixth focus school would be way harder. Rebalancing Naramon to make Void Stalker actually useful, and Void Hunter not a horrible crime against humanity, isn't some herculean feat

2 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

The sixth focus school would be way harder. Rebalancing Naramon to make Void Stalker actually useful, and Void Hunter not a horrible crime against humanity, isn't some herculean feat

True, but I ment in the full scope of designing a redo of all schools vs adding a new school and also having to redo all the others in the process. Still a revist would be nice. 👍

Personally Id like Inner Might taken out of Zenurik and placed into Madurai or Naramon, and give something a bit more Arcane in its place like when combo counter reaches max a pulse of void energy erupts from the Tenno/Warframe position decreasing enemy accuracy by a % for 15 seconds or so. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Magus_Tahir said:

Personally Id like Inner Might taken out of Zenurik and placed into Madurai or Naramon, and give something a bit more Arcane in its place like when combo counter reaches max a pulse of void energy erupts from the Tenno/Warframe position decreasing enemy accuracy by a % for 15 seconds or so. 

Lore-wise, I think Zenurik has a bigger issue: 

"They believed the clearest path to victory was to Dominate the Enemy. They sought to choke an opponent of all resources. They believed sheer strength could erase any resistance."

The first and third sentences have huge overlap with Madurai, and the second sentence doesn't really work well in video games (except of course strategy games). When you have Madurai the aggressor, Naramon the manipulator, Vazarin the healer, and Unairu the tank, putting Zenurik as the resource master makes sense for balance. But their lore doesn't seem to reflect that. 

Inner Might specifically an artifact of channeling, since it was about saving energy (resource master) like the other powers

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Lore-wise, I think Zenurik has a bigger issue: 

"They believed the clearest path to victory was to Dominate the Enemy. They sought to choke an opponent of all resources. They believed sheer strength could erase any resistance."

The first and third sentences have huge overlap with Madurai, and the second sentence doesn't really work well in video games (except of course strategy games). When you have Madurai the aggressor, Naramon the manipulator, Vazarin the healer, and Unairu the tank, putting Zenurik as the resource master makes sense for balance. But their lore doesn't seem to reflect that. 

Inner Might specifically an artifact of channeling, since it was about saving energy (resource master) like the other powers

Completely agree with the lore aspect there. When I first chose it I had the mental picture of an Mage type Tenno using void abilities to for lack of a better description force drain targets of energy, crowd control them, yank ammo cartridges from their belts, ragdoll them around the room. Very similar to Dark Force powers from Knights of the Old Republic I, and II.

The Temporal Blast is great utility, the energy aspects of the school are good. Redo Inner Might, Void Static, Voltaic Blast, and Lightning Dash to be more in line with the schools lore and presto you got yourself a dandy Tenno path.

• Like 2