Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Player Experience - Small Tweaks

Snowpoint-Prime

My focus here will be suggestions that require the lest amount of effort to change. Very small tweaks to improve flow of the early days of a New Player.  

I feel the 2 main issues for a new player are 1. not understanding what to do 2. the huge time gap between first log-in to second frame.

The current material requirements for Warframes require access the Tier 1 section of the Void, after Ceres. So, you have to plow through 6 planets to make the Rhino frame you got on Venus. I remember way back after having a friend help me kill Jackal 23 times (no joke) to get the blueprints, my first though was "I can make this now, right?" No, you need that same friend to taxi you to several other levels to to mats, or wait till you have done like 40% of the star chart. It is also worth mentioning the Void as a concept is not explained until much later. 

Solution: Change the crafting Requirements of early frames to ONLY include materials from the same planet the blueprints drop. (Rhino, Frost, Ember, Excalibur, Mag at least)

As for the problem of not knowing what to do: Maybe the creation of a Player's first new Warframe should be met with a little more pomp and circumstance. A quest (and by quest I mean something small scale - just some Ordis dialogue and missions that give you the nurodes and plastids you need) that walks you through the process of finding blueprints, gathering materials, and building.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Snowpoint-Prime said:

My focus here will be suggestions that require the lest amount of effort to change. Very small tweaks to improve flow of the early days of a New Player.  

I feel the 2 main issues for a new player are 1. not understanding what to do 2. the huge time gap between first log-in to second frame.

The current material requirements for Warframes require access the Tier 1 section of the Void, after Ceres. So, you have to plow through 6 planets to make the Rhino frame you got on Venus. I remember way back after having a friend help me kill Jackal 23 times (no joke) to get the blueprints, my first though was "I can make this now, right?" No, you need that same friend to taxi you to several other levels to to mats, or wait till you have done like 40% of the star chart. It is also worth mentioning the Void as a concept is not explained until much later. 

Solution: Change the crafting Requirements of early frames to ONLY include materials from the same planet the blueprints drop. (Rhino, Frost, Ember, Excalibur, Mag at least)

As for the problem of not knowing what to do: Maybe the creation of a Player's first new Warframe should be met with a little more pomp and circumstance. A quest (and by quest I mean something small scale - just some Ordis dialogue and missions that give you the nurodes and plastids you need) that walks you through the process of finding blueprints, gathering materials, and building.

Definitely need to explain how Mastery Ranking works too. Cause there are a few weapons you can’t just get back by playing the game once you sell them. And the only way to level up MR is to level up everything from 0 to max. Those are definitely details DE shouldn’t leave out. Should be something they force new players to learn before progressing. Not just hope they decide to look it up. 

Also when I first started playing I used an unmodded Excalibur and weapons all through like 80% of the solar system. I fought the boss on Sedna before realizing what the mods are. High MR players didn’t want to believe me cause I survived better than they did, and had better parkour skills than them. I’m just too use to game like CoD where it is almost one and done. So learning how to dodge and avoid attacks just comes natural to me. 

But main thing was I was not in a rush for a new frame. I was focusing more on learning the layout, rules, and mechanics of the game. After that, getting, farming, building, and leveling everything came to me quickly. 

If you followed a certain schedule I’ve set up, you could have MR 28 worth of affinity(XP) in just one week if you chose to play only a few hours each day. You’ll still have to wait about a month to do each test to become MR 28, but the points carry over. That is how easy it is once you figure out the game and complete most missions and connect your star chart track through each planet. 

Edited by (PS4)chris1pat8twins
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Definitely need to explain how Mastery Ranking works too. Cause there are a few weapons you can’t just get back by playing the game once you sell them.

This hasn't been true for quite a long time. Simaris sells BPs for these previously 'one time' items after you've passed whatever quest or whatnot they were originally acquired on. So you can get say Broken Scepter again if you dumped it without leveling it fully. Broken War is obtainable from Stalker and sentients. It isn't easy, but it can be done.

Il y a 3 heures, Hobie-wan a dit :

This hasn't been true for quite a long time. Simaris sells BPs for these previously 'one time' items after you've passed whatever quest or whatnot they were originally acquired on. So you can get say Broken Scepter again if you dumped it without leveling it fully. Broken War is obtainable from Stalker and sentients. It isn't easy, but it can be done.

Does Simaris sell blueprints for the Latron Wraith, Opticor Vandal, Glaxion Vandal, etc? The person you're replying to could have easily meant those weapons.

@Snowpoint-Prime - I didn't quite believe what you were saying at first, because I couldn't think of anything Rhino needed that wouldn't come from Venus/Earth/Mars, but you are entirely correct in that you need to at least progress into Europa before you can start obtaining Control Modules, for which Rhino needs only 1 for his systems blueprint.

That is really stupid.

Admittedly, it's not as bad as it used to be (in some areas), but you will now have the absolute pleasure of experiencing Argons and Nitain Extract (sarcasm here), which was the dumbest addition ever.

Edited by Els236

3 hours ago, Els236 said:

Does Simaris sell blueprints for the Latron Wraith, Opticor Vandal, Glaxion Vandal, etc? The person you're replying to could have easily meant those weapons.

Latron Wraith drops from invasions now. But you're right on the Vandals. They need to show up in Simaris.

9 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

There’s the machete, heat sword, ether daggers, etc, that you can’t just farm for again or purchase the BP. Also the ether daggers and snipertron only appear in plague star event that happens like once a year. So players would have to wait up to a year before they can regain ether daggers. Simaris doesn’t have every blueprint. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

There’s the machete, heat sword, ether daggers, etc, that you can’t just farm for again or purchase the BP. Also the ether daggers and snipertron only appear in plague star event that happens like once a year. So players would have to wait up to a year before they can regain ether daggers. Simaris doesn’t have every blueprint. 

Machete is one I forgot you can't get again. Fair enough on that one, another that should be added to Simaris once a player has had it.

Heat Sword shows up in the nightwave store. Ether daggers and snipetron being available during Plague Star is still available, just difficult to reacquire. If you're playing the game long enough for the MR or to fulfill some meta/meme/minmax build that requires one of these things, you'll be able to get many of them back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Machete is one I forgot you can't get again. Fair enough on that one, another that should be added to Simaris once a player has had it.

Heat Sword shows up in the nightwave store. Ether daggers and snipetron being available during Plague Star is still available, just difficult to reacquire. If you're playing the game long enough for the MR or to fulfill some meta/meme/minmax build that requires one of these things, you'll be able to get many of them back.

I know. But many new players won’t fully understand and many people don’t know when things will appear to schedule around it. Nightwave switching items would make it complicated to receive. There is also an infested sword and other weapon Blueprints you get from completing the link between one planet to the other. And a sentinel. Those can’t just be regained either. Unless I’m missing something. Cause I have never seen those weapons anywhere else. But I also have everything so I don’t go around searching. I just try to give new players advice not to sell items until they max them out first. 

Then many weapons require other weapons to build. So that can cause issues too unless players get real good at the game to where spending a couple of days trying to build these complicated weapons.

They definitely need a warning before selling. Something like “if you sell this item you won’t get it back again”, “if you sell this item you will have to get it from nightwave”, “this item is also needed for another weapon”, etc.

Edited by (PS4)chris1pat8twins