Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery... Where Are We Going With This?

Instinction

Just my thoughts on the whole mastery level system.

I am sort of biased in the sense that mastery doesn't affect me as negatively as it does new players since I've been playing

since early closed beta, but I digress...

My thinking is for the future of this game, and with mastery specifically I wonder about when players start to reach rank 15,

rank 20, etc.

Are we going to have weapons and possibly even warframes that are set to that high of a mastery level?

Mastery isn't exactly something that goes up very quickly and leveling up every single weapon and warframe becomes a

bit tedious when it's a weapon or frame you really don't like or want to have to use.

Anyways, point being, for someone like me, it's not too heavy of an issue because I've been playing for a long time. But

think of a new player coming into Warframe and seeing a weapon that can't be unlocked until Mastery rank 30 or

something. Basically he is never going to have that gun unless he spend the next year and a half on Warframe never

leaving his seat and by then a rank 50 weapon is going to have come out. Then what.

So ya, just kinda my thoughts on the matter and wanting to see what the general opinion/feedback is on this. I realize I

may be thinking a long ways down the road, but I really hope that this game will make it that far!

I really hope that is not what this game is going to be like. Instead, I would propose the idea of other benefits for mastery rank, such as weapon slots, mods, etc.

Rewards of some sort would certainly be nice and would be much less crippling to newer players than having high level mastery weapons.

I on the other hand think that's the way it should be though. If mastery ranks were completely ignored, then someone of rank 0 would log in, play a couple missions, then build the Ultimate Weapon Of Pwnage (which should of have been of a higher rank) and completely demolish any level she/he plays of her/his level without any sort of challenge

I doubt there'd be master locks beyond 8 or so.

IIRC they also said they were considering/wanting to give weapon/frame slots for every few mastery ranks. Something like, say, a weapon slot every 2 masteries and a frame every 3?

I must say i like the idea of weapons, more slots and or special frames that unlock after a certain mastery level.

why is that so weird to accept?..many games do this very thing.

The point here is the speed at which you acquire mastery rank. Right now it is fairly slow and is also limited to the weapons and warframes that you level, it's not based of the amount of kills you get, like how the leveling is in most games. So yes having slots unlock after a certain amount of mastery levels would be great, that's more like a reward than anything; but having weapons locked until rank 20 would kill new players at the current rate at which you can acquire mastery.

Well, if you don't want to play 300 hours to get to mastery 11 or something like that? You can always buy affinity boosters... see where I'm going with this? It's a f2p game meaning: you either sink a lot of time or moderate amount of money, choice is yours!

I think (or at least strongly hope) we will never see weapons with such high mastery requirements. Attaining mastery 7-8 is no small feat already and takes a bit of dedication, but that is still something acceptable. Weapons with mastery requirements of 10+ is just asking for one to forgo a good chunk of their social life.

It takes 5 missions to level a frame or weapon in Cyath, Kiste or Kappa (maybe 6 or 7 here). I am not a fan group play in the game but I run those missions since you get 5 times the xp, 5 times the mods (cyath especially for mods) and it is almost no effort. There are a few douc.he groups now and then but since the whole thing takes 10 minutes to 15 minutes and you get 5 times more than even an hour long void run solo it is worth it.

Master should be more than a limiter, it should be an enabler, but there has to be some progression or DE will shoot themselves further in the foot.

If Ogris/Torid (md only for Torid), Acrid and Orthos Prime (aka pro Korean Pro Gamer Loadout) are available in early Mastery Rank, who would spend a dime on their product?

Most would grab the 3 or 4 weapons that are best, farm the mods they need, hope some day a story comes, perhaps a little end game that is about a challenging AI (not grind to grind to grind) and call it a day. With the mod system the way it is you can do that now with almost any set of gear, get it, forma it and make sure you have the best maxed mods for it and you are done, no farming, warframe optional.

Edited by Nickeltoe

I doubt there'd be master locks beyond 8 or so.

IIRC they also said they were considering/wanting to give weapon/frame slots for every few mastery ranks. Something like, say, a weapon slot every 2 masteries and a frame every 3?

+1 frame +1 weapon slot per 5 mastery level

+1 mod slot per 2 mastery level.

+2 to 3 max rank per 2 mastery level.