Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heavy Style Nonheavy (Charge) Melee Weapon

fmultimedia

Question

Hi there guys.

Could you please help me, teaching me what would be a good option for a melee weapon that is NOT heavy, but ha similar (as much as possible) characteristics to heavy melee weapons - especially charge? I want big area of effect and high charge damage.

Thanks a lot!

19 answers to this question

Highest charge damage in non-heavy melee is the Dark Sword, I *think*. The Galatine cut my testing prematurely, as it is so superior, but before its release the Dark Sword was the one I could get the highest charge/finisher/sneak attack damage.. Hitting multiple targets is not consistent with it tho, it is easier to get multiple targets hit with the Zorens.

The Dakra Prime is good (highest base damage of all Longswords, and before anyone hates on it, it is very VERY good at what it does) Not particularly long range, but has a decent swing to it.

The Orthos is a great choice too. It isn't a heavy weapon, but has a great range, and good base damage, and is quite fast with a Max Fury.

Something s

Fast as in Zorencopter fast? Or would Orthos Prime suffice?

Something slightly faster than the Orthos. I haven't got the O. Prime (not because I don't farm for it!!!!), but probably something like that, or a bit faster still. No need for short weapons fast...

Bo Amphis and Orthos are the only large range melee weapons that aren't subject to the heavy weapon burdening momentum mechanic. Bo's damage is rather weak. I haven't tried Amphis, I think it's good but that Orthos is overall better. Add fury and reflex coil mods to Orthos and it becames a very fluid weapon, and with a reach mod it's area coverage is quite splendid.

Bo Amphis and Orthos are the only large range melee weapons that aren't subject to the heavy weapon burdening momentum mechanic. Bo's damage is rather weak. I haven't tried Amphis, I think it's good but that Orthos is overall better. Add fury and reflex coil mods to Orthos and it becames a very fluid weapon, and with a reach mod it's area coverage is quite splendid.

Really? My Orthos definately seems to hinder me while I'm charging (Bo doesn't, btw).

Isn't there anything like a Plasma Sword that hits multiple enemies?

Hi there guys.

Could you please help me, teaching me what would be a good option for a melee weapon that is NOT heavy, but ha similar (as much as possible) characteristics to heavy melee weapons - especially charge? I want big area of effect and high charge damage.

Thanks a lot!

The Fang Prime aren't heavy weapons (they are duals), but they pack a punch, carrying damage close to a heavy melee weapon's charge (180 vs. 200). Unfortunately, they have a small AOE.

since there isn't something exactly like you ask, I'll throw around my favourite:

Kogake.

armor-ignore on normal attacks, damn fast (especially with Fury), good jump attack AOE for a non-heavy, charge attacks aren't armor ignore but ragdoll enemies, finisher deals a S#&$ton of damage and looks awesome (obvious combo chargeattack-finisher as one ragdolls and the other hits hard the downed enemy), yeah it's single-target, but normal attacks are pretty fast and chaining a jump attack or charge and ground finisher on downed enemies you are still far from wimpy.

And it's also pretty cheap overall.

Also, it's the only weapon in the game that allows you to facekick mobs (unique animations).

Edited by bobafetthotmail

Yeah, I would honestly say the Amphis or IMO the Plasma Sword (which it sounds like you've used).  I don't really know that either of those are "faster" than some of the better heavy weapons though - pretty sure they aren't.  That said, a Crit/Charge build on the Plasma Sword can do you quite well - but for a weapon only available through alert you'd wish it was better.

I'll go along with everyone saying just get Orthos until you grab Orthos Prime, fastest heavy weapon and fastest melee period last I checked.

Orthos and Orthos Prime are both Heavy weapons... Just letting you all know...

OT: If you want something fast that hits hard on multiple targets with a half-decent AoE, then you're probably not gonna get far without using a Heavy weapon. Ichors are somewhat okay-ish at Charge spamming (although you need good timing and a decent framerate to pull off smashes in quick succession), but the range is quite short and pulling off smashes in quick succession could get really annoying. Your other best bet would probably be Amphis-- slower, but better range and similar damage.

I honestly don't see why you'd want to find a non-heavy melee that does a heavy melee's job. That's like trying to go Shotgun mode with a Bow. Go ahead, mod it all you please, but you'll still be better off just using a shotgun.

Edited by SortaRandom

Um, okay, its been a while since I've seen them 'called out' on the forums but has everyone forgotten about the Dual Heat Swords?

Decent range/arc (not 360, not even close, more like 100 degrees) and hits for a base charge of 150, 3/4 most heavy weapons. And has all the characteristics of a non-heavy weapon 'cause it isnt.

Um, okay, its been a while since I've seen them 'called out' on the forums but has everyone forgotten about the Dual Heat Swords?

Decent range/arc (not 360, not even close, more like 100 degrees) and hits for a base charge of 150, 3/4 most heavy weapons. And has all the characteristics of a non-heavy weapon 'cause it isnt.

The decent range is only on the shortsword attack, unless you were talking about the charge.

I prefer the Dual Ethers, as they deal a faster charge (approximately equal charge damage : charge ratio), 25% more attack speed, Serrated Blade (makes normal attacks armor ignoring), more range, and have stunlock.