(XB1)WarBelly

The Deadlock Protocol: Protea Feedback Megathread

Posted (edited)

I'm not someone whos had a chance to play her yet but what if Temporal Anchor also snapshotted your abilities? So on triggering rewind all durations were set back to what they were at time of casting. Plus giving the turret a solid 15 seconds uptime only disappearing after it runs through all ammo (which can be replenished by dispenser closeby or TA reset) or at the end of 15 seconds. This way turret requires close interaction with other abilities and you are not AFKing.

One minor tweak would be TA healing status procs as well.

Edited by (XB1)SirMilkfiend

9 hours ago, Draconicdisciple said:

It sounds like you have a different playstyle and that's fine, she doesn't work as well for you. But so far her build has worked extremely well for me and I enjoy playing her. If you usually play solo you'll need different tactics, and that's fine. 

I think we derailed from the topic.

---------------------------------------------
If the 4th ability's explosion isn't changed to a path of damage/slowing/time stopping area (or other suggestion that was posted) what about explosion when casting 4th? I mean, you run 4th > you store some damage > ability ends (you are rewinded) > press 4th again -> damage (or other other effect) is released > you store some damage > ability ends > you run 4th ->damage (or other other effect) is released /and so on and so forth/

Posted (edited)

Posting this here also regarding Shield Sattelite audio:

I've started to notice the audio of Shield Sattelite more - that kind of "whirring" floaty sound - which is of course thematic and kind of cool in small doses, but given the duration is going to be buffed I'm a little apprehensive of hearing this audio effect more often, because it does become pretty annoying after a while.

Maybe if it was intermittent - eg the audio played for the first few seconds of picking up a Shield Grenade, then faded to silence, then maybe came back every now and then for a couple of seconds to reinforce the visual effect and remind you the Shield Sattelite is still active.

This would break up the monotony of that sound effect constantly playing, and hopefully be far less grating on the ears.

Edited by Sailears

I have an idea for a replacement for her current 4 that would still fit her lore and quest line.

Temporal Anchor (revised)

100 energy cost

15 to 20 seconds base duration

15 m base explosion range

5 m base knockdown range

Protea drops an anchor at a point in time, leaving a trail behind her (similar to nezha's 1st ability), any damage done is stored and released at the end of the ability (I don't know if there should be a conversion rate or not). At the end of the ability, an explosion happens at the beginning point and end point of the ability, and knocking down any enemy within 5 m on either side of the trail left by Protea. If the ability duration runs out normally, Protea is not sent back to the start point. If Protea takes fatal damage during the duration, she gets sent back to the start point of the ability, but the knockdown and explosion don't happen. If, during the ability, the player taps the ability key, it will end the ability, Protea will be sent back to the starting point, but the knockdown and explosion do still happen. Likewise, if the player holds the ability key while the ability is active, the ability will end, Protea won't be sent back to the starting point, and the knockdown/explosion will happen.

this change would address the issues I have with the ability, while still keeping true to the quest. All the stats would be modifiable. To reduce strain on computers, as the ability can have a much longer duration, the ability could just teleport Protea back to the starting point, or have a animation play as she went back along the path (like her getting knocked down when she takes fatal damage, or maybe a backwards roll), rather than record the actions of the player. I also tried to address the issue of how the ability would reset any forward progression by not sending the player back automatically when the duration ends. The tap and hold options are there in case you have a lot of damage stored up and you see a group of enemies, or you want to reset the starting point so you don't go too far back in the level, or if you want to go back to the starting point.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

TL:DR She's fun but demands more creativity/engagement from the player in exchange for the ability to achieve a lot with her abilities. She is a good frame as is and some slight QoL improvements to help streamline her would make her fantastic
Examples being slight scaling damage on her 1 and 2 (the damage after the buff should be fine for all "normal" content like Sorties/Arbitrations however), some cast speed on her 4 and making her 1 and 2 both one handed actions.
Blaze artillery having a limited arc is a GOOD thing IMO and as an ability achieves what it sets out to achieve.
Do not change the dispenser refilling archguns please 🙂

(Apologies for the wall of text)

In my opinion Protea is a great frame - she is both very fun, effective and relatively well designed (and she looks/feels really cool to use). She requires (and rewards) a little bit more work/engagement/creativity from the players end to be effective (but boy can she be effective). This combined with her versatility is what makes her fun frame for me personally. She is a generalist frame so she is not going to be as good a healer as say a trinity or as capable of mass murder as a brain-dead Saryn/Mesa with a Bramma. 

Her ability set allows her to approach many different situations and mission types and she has quickly become my 'swiss army knife'/go-to if I'm unsure what to bring to and Arbitration or Sortie. Most importantly, in my opinion, she is built to be used alongside regular gun-play with most of her abilities acting as an enhancement to regular gun-play as opposed to say an Ember/Saryn/Mesa/Vauban who can get by with just solely spamming abilities. With Protea you want to cast some abilities so they are working in conjunction with your gun-play/maneuvering.

With Protea I advise getting used to casting while mid-air/bullet-jumping/maneuvering around as this (in my experience and time playing her) more or less nullifies any opportunity cost due to casting abilities (i.e not using our OP guns) or any complaints about her not being mobile or too slow.

My main suggestions for QoL improvements would be a slight increase in cast speed (especially her 4) and allowing her ideally 1 (the hop is kind of meh tbh) and 2 to be one handed actions. This would greatly streamline her game-play. The one-handed 1 and 2 would be quite a buff in their own right as you could throw them while reloading/shooting removing a lot of the 'opportunity cost' of choosing to cast the ability instead of using your guns.

Anyway onto my thoughts on her abilities themselves:

(PASSIVE) 100% Bonus Strength every 4th ability cast:
One of my favorite passives in the game. I tend to use to buff her shield grenades or the dispenser chance but her slash grenades and her blaze artillery aren't horrible choices either. I have not experimented enough with her 4th abilities damage potential to know if it's worth it for that.

(1 - TAP) Shrapnel Grenade:
She can provide decent CC over a very large area (i.e. I'm happy to use this instead of a Bastille I just need slightly more time to set up) - the damage (outside of high level armored enemies) isn't the main part but shouldn't be completely slept on either. The upcoming 3s buff to duration, doubling of the damage and increase of range will make it more useful for sure. With creative placement she is easily able to lock down a large area (i.e. in a survival/mobile defense/defense/interception) by exploiting choke points and with the 'fan throw' you can still set up a perimeter without needing choke points (i.e. like a Bastille). Due to how it works you have far more control over just how much and what areas you lock down.
As for suggestions, I'm generally happy with this. Making it one-handed would be great and letting us know the status chance for the slash procs would also be appreciated (seems to be 5-10% in my testing).

(1 - HOLD) Shield Grenade:
A great defensive first ability. You can throw it on basically anything (I LOVE that it applies to defense objectives and companions - please do not change this!), and with a bit of smart aiming it is straight forward to chuck it ahead of you while rushing through a mission so that you/your teammates pick it up without stopping i.e. while rushing the capture target. As an added note it works wonderfully with the new Moa 'Blast Shield' precept. She is respectably tanky with just the shield grenade up and adaptation. 
Only real suggestion for this ability would be to have it apply to protea automatically as she throws it, but as it is (and with the needed increase to 4 grenades) it should be fine.

(2) Blaze Artillery:
I personally LOVE this ability! It is NOT a turret which is fantastic as I personally find turrets extremely boring and believe they don't really belong in a 'fast paced' game like Warframe. It can pump out a respectable amount of damage and CC in a short amount of time. It is relatively quick to use and the limited arc is GREAT as I have a good amount of control over where to cover/aim at a specific angle/line of enemies - please do NOT change this as an increase in firing arc will only decrease the player's control especially as this ability is not intended to be a turret!
After the 50% buff to duration and the damage per shot increase going up to 100% bonus per shot (where each shot has punch-through, AOE and guaranteed heat proc..) it will absolutely melt groups of enemies (it can do pretty decent damage already with ideal placement).
In my opinion (and experience) the envisioned use for this ability is as a temporary force multiplier for your gun-play where you throw a couple out as you breach a room/are getting overwhelmed and open fire alongside them (or move evasively if needed). It is meant for damaging and CCing large crowds of enemies over a short duration as opposed to single target damage, but can still be somewhat useful in that regard in a pinch (the extra free damage/armor strip/CC while you are shooting heavy targets is great). You can use it to help clear a hallway you are focusing or to cover angles you are not looking down and/or watch your back while capturing a target (or rushing and focusing down said capture target).
I personally don't have any issues with the duration - with my build ~4.5 seconds (~7s after the buff) is generally more than enough for it to do it's job.
My only suggestions are for it to NOT be changed to use a stat stick - I could see tweaking elements/etc as an exalted weapon being interesting but I see it becoming an exalted/stat stick ability as unnecessary - it does it's intended job just fine for regular (i.e. Sorties and Arbitrations) game-play just fine. The per shot scaling is quite unique and interesting IMO and I enjoy it personally. Saying that, some scaling like Vauban has for his nail bomb and orbital strike would be appreciated for endurance runs/etc (to be honest I believe all/most damaging, non-exalted Warframe abilities should have some degree of level scaling).

(3) Dispensary:
Another ability I absolutely adore. At least for personal use they make energy/ammo pizzas redundant (except for super panicky situations where you need to spam 3 energy pizzas NOW). The stationary nature of dispensary is in a little bit of conflict with the movement asked by this game, but in it's current state I think it's fine.
With Combat Discipline (she can run it comfortably, allowing more support/healing for teammates) and/or Synth Fiber and Equilibrium she has limitless energy. With these mods she can top off her energy fairly quickly (i.e. ~10-15 seconds 0 to full at the start of a mission, or just a 3-6 second stop in mission to top off). This effect is further improved with arcane energize.
The ammo restoring is great as no other Warframe can do it. This allows extended long-term use of ammo inefficient weapons (and lessens the blow of not using carrier if you so choose). But one of the main reasons I like this ability is in it's unique/niche usage in restoring ARCHGUN ammo. This effectively means you are always bringing 4 weapons you can 'main' to every mission. Atmospheric Archguns are kind of meh at the moment but with an ok riven and/or setup they are quite serviceable. I have been having an absolute blast dropping in my Imperator Vandal, shielding myself, erecting a dispenser, throwing up a couple of blaze artillery batteries and mowing down a wave of enemies or even just running through the mission as the 'heavy weapons nutter'. If there is one thing I wish DE do NOT touch with Protea, it is her ability to restore Archgun ammo. It is great fun and makes atmospheric Archguns an option I will use often.

(4) Temporal Anchor:
The most situational of her abilities, which is IMO fine (not every 4 needs to be a constant use ability) but a bit more utility/QoL improvements would be welcome. It's main use is in anticipation of a big fight, i.e. a big wave in defense or breaching into a room with lots of enemies (i.e. capture or exterminate if caution/ability spam is needed) where you use it as both death protection (though the status effects persisting is silly) and a chance to spam out lots of abilities and/or establish a perimeter really quickly in a sort of 'oh bother' moment. I have not really made much use of the damage component as everything is generally dead by the end of the ability (in my case 18 seconds if I don't end it early) .
It has some creative applications with something like the now ammo limited Bramma or if Archguns are ever made deserving of the 'heavy weapons' title TA can be used to give them infinite ammo (if refilling at a dispenser is removed). As an aside, it's great for quickly scouting in defense/mobile defense/interception and fun to speed run spy vaults with it active. 
It seems the main issue people are having with it is the backtracking but using it in a situation where it is suicidal to just rush or you need to throw out lots of CC/damage really quickly into a crowd nullifies this a bit (in these situations you/team would probably slow down a bit anyway) and realistically you move fast enough in Warframe for it to not be an issue really (at least in my experience).
Having said that, a movement speed or parkour velocity buff (maybe scaling with duration of the backtrack?) after ability end would be welcome. 
It should also be noted that you can tap 4 to rewind earlier (i.e. before expiry) or hold 4 to cancel the ability which is great.
My main suggestions/requests with this ability would be a cast speed increase to make it more usable and fluid on the fly, the removal of status effects applied before rewind (bug?), maybe a speed buff after duration ends (or even during it, I could see a cast speed buff during TA giving the ability more oomph), some invincibility when 'killed' so you're not just knocked down and insta-killed anyway, and maybe the ability to cancel the rewind at any time by tapping 4 so you could wait for expiry and then cancel the rewind halfway through (and refund the appropriate amount).

All in all, I am having great fun with Protea who has quickly become my go-to frame due to her effectiveness, versatility, looks and her arch-gunner niche'. Her abilities require a bit more thought/some foresight which makes her very fun and engaging for me to play and I feel as though I have only skimmed the surface in terms of potential synergies/strategies with her.

As a bonus - my build: 226 Dur, 85 Eff, 91 Range (this could be higher tbh), 196 Str and running combat discipline (or growing power) with equilibrium, primed flow and adaptation. The Ferrox thrown pull works well for her 2 as does the moa whiplash mine. As I mentioned I quite enjoy using my Imperator Vandal with her.

Edited by Foxtrot_VII

Passive is fine

Grenade Fan: (Tap) Duration at base should be 10 for (Hold) Duration should be 20

Blaze Artillery: Should be able to be moded. Double energy cost but make the damage really high so that it is actually worth it.

Dispensary: Should have a fixed Duration. Increasing Duration passed 100% should make the items appear faster while going under 100% would make them appear slower

Temporal Anchor: Should only cause a rewind on "kill". If not explosion with knock down in 5m and stagger in 10.

If there aren't any changes to her she will be very mediocre.

• Like 1

Blaze artillary needs two mods of operation...in the protea shoulders while moving and fixed locations.

• PASSIVE - Nice passive)
  • GRENADE FAN - defensive grenades must last longer. 30-40 sec instead of 10. Because it's too dificult buff entire party all time.
  • BLAZE ARTILLERY - turret disapearing too fast. I think the turret should be limited only by shots. And a maximum of 4 turrets at a time (depending on strength or duration). And scaling is also necessary, so that at high levels the ability does not become useless.
  • DISPENSARY - all good.
  • TEMPORAL ANCHOR - this ability needs a small buff. For example, x1.5 duration and x2 radius of implosion.

About turrets and her grenades as well (from the upcoming Protea changes thread):

1 minute ago, quxier said:

Something like "hold to put more turrets" would be nice. Simple  3 turrets at once would be ok.

Another option would be "while you hold the button the Protea will be putting turrets". There should be some limitation, like:

1.  delay between putting another turret (while holding the button) is very low (milliseconds) but every turret increase cool-down between each ability "hold" activation. For example: Hold > put 5 turrets in 2.5 seconds > cool-down 2.5 seconds > put 10 turrets in 5 seconds > cool-down 5 seconds; the number of possible turrets you can put AS WELL as time spent putting turrets + cool-downs should be, more or less, equal to how it is today (e.g. with and without "hold" you can put the same amount of turrets).
  2. delay between putting another turret would be constant

I would prefer (1) but (2) would be ok. (1) would "fit" into her theme. (1) would make possible spamming her 1st while you cool-down your 2nd - so you can put a little more things... but that can be balanced by cool-down time.

Augment mod; blaze artillery

Can only have one turret, turrets ammo is multiplied by 3 and timer is disabled, recasting while turret is active will end the ability.

Or something like that.

Posted (edited)

The biggest problem, so far, with Protea is that she's WAAAY too spammy. I would recommend:

1. Reduce the number of simultaneous turrets to ONE, but TRIPLE the damage and duration.
    Allow us to deploy one of two different turrets (being able to toggle between them like Wisp's motes):
    1. Long-range sniper turret. Reduced angle to 60 degrees, but triple range
    2. Short-range "blaster" turret. Increased AOE (Arca Plasmor style), reduced range to 15m, but full 360 capability.
  2. Increase the duration of her grenades to at least 25 seconds base.
Edited by CerealPlayer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IzzyTH-I51 said:

Augment mod; blaze artillery

Can only have one turret, turrets ammo is multiplied by 3 and timer is disabled, recasting while turret is active will end the ability.

Or something like that.

Great minds think alike. Except: don't make it an augment! Bake it in into the ability.

Posted (edited)

Since Khora has her Venari why Protea's artillery can't be an always active robotic companion? Yet another warframe that may have 2 companions active at the same time. Also below are my thoughts regarding Protea's abilities.

• PASSIVE - No objections
  • GRENADE FAN
    • SHRAPNEL VORTEX - Slight damage buff could give a nice boost.
    • SHIELD SATELLITES - Should work within Affinity range like Trinity's Blessing ability.
  • BLAZE ARTILLERY - Lasts too short compared to dmg output. This ability with 200% strength can barely handle 50+ level enemies. With current state this could be converted to an active companion which will accumulate the dmg bonus each shot until x5 or x10, but the effect ends when idle for 5 or 10 seconds. If this could be converted to then the following skill may be introduced:
    • ARTILLERY OVERCHARGE - The cannon becomes stationary for short period of time with 2x base damage bonus or a held trigger which will consume energy over-time, but holding it too long will cause the cannon to self-destruct and apply 90 seconds respawn time.
  • DISPENSARY - it's good, but something like Wisp's Reservoir with an interaction button and cooldown could be an asset. Maximum 2-3 can be placed (global cooldown).
    • Alternatively a selector can be added so the player can switch between Energy/Health/Ammo (max 1 per type).
  • TEMPORAL ANCHOR - benefits of this ability can be found only while facing 150+ level enemies.
Edited by IDzer0

Posted (edited)

Man i was deceived by my self when i read the change in the fourth skill, i made myself belive that when i die with Protea while using 4th skill i would receive invulnerability, but what happened is that i get invulnerable when i cast the skill, i can't say it is pointless but is very hard to use... maybe, i just have to get used to it, but i would feel better if it could actavate by it self when u die under 4th skill.

So now u have to cast 4th again before u die to get inv... humm... idk about that...

Other twiks are pretty good, i like it all. Just 4th could be better.

... oh end i never liked her passive too... i would reather have more resistent shields. But i won't ask for that... lol

Edited by Silvertap

I only have one small problem with protea after the tweaking.

basically for her shield grenades, I don't think she should toss out 3, or 4, but just 1, that spins, and when you pass threw it you get one, and running through it refreshes the duration.  The shield spawn one last as long as protea's duration and getting a refresh brings you to the top of the duration, so more like Wisp's mote but it has a time limit rather than infinitely sitting there.

Maybe shifting her shrapnel grenades to scale, but I like how they currently feel, though it may need more testing.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

Protea Changes & Fixes:

General Changes:

• Increased Protea’s sprint speed to 1.2.
  • Removed the increased animation speed for Protea’s custom Roll animation to bring it back to what was originally showcased.
  • Slightly increased the impulse of Protea’s custom Roll when moving forward.

Grenade Fan

• Increased Duration of both Offensive and Defensive grenades by 3 seconds.
  • Increased Range of both Offensive and Defensive grenades at max rank from 4 to 5 meters.
    • For Shield Satellite, this applies to the grenade pickup Range.
  • Increased Shield Satellite grenade count from 3 to 4 to accommodate max Squad sizes.
  • Increased visibility FX on available Shield Satellite grenades to aid in differentiating between the two grenades.
  • Doubled the Damage of the Shrapnel Vortex grenade.
  • Fixed Protea's Grenade Fan/ Shield Satellites appearing giant while using Archwing.

Our goal here is to improve efficacy, usability, and logic of Grenade Fan! 

Blaze Artillery

• Increased Duration of Blaze Artillery by 1 second, and doubled the Damage multiplier to compete against higher level enemies. Duration will now show in Arsenal stats instead of the maximum number of shots.
  • Protea’s Blaze Artillery will now shoot through Volt’s Shield, but won't benefit from its buffs.
  • Fixed Protea’s Blaze Artillery not targeting ragdolled enemies. 

Our goal here is to keep the spirit of the rapid fire Artillery alive, with just a bit more punch. We will monitor for feedback after this change as well. 

Dispensary

• Protea’s Dispensary location is now displayed on the minimap in the form of the Ability icon.
    • Similar to Wisp’s Reservoirs! 

Temporal Anchor

• Protea is now invulnerable for the first 3 seconds of Temporal Anchor (i.e on cast, to prevent casting animation deaths).
  • Added a warning sound when there is 1.5 seconds left before Temporal Anchor ability ends.
  • Fixed Temporal Anchor not removing/preventing Status Effects during the rewind.

This invulnerability window is an important add based on all the ways players have used Temporal Anchor thus far - that key survivability reaction should include invulnerability. 

Ok, I love all these changes ( except turret damage one, they need some sort of level scaling ) but I think she can use more changes.

• First of all, make Grenade Fan and Blazing Artillery one-handed cast for Void's sake.
  • Secondly, stop her from collecting health and energy orbs while rewinding. All goes to waste.
  • Thirdly, hop animation needs to be mitigated a bit and has to work only while Protea is in air ( like Vauban's throw animation ) to not to irritate players and to keep the additional air time for people who likes it ( like me ).
On 2020-06-16 at 3:24 AM, Aeon94 said:

[1] Grenade Fan - Base duration of Shrapnel Vortex and Shield Satellite are increased to 15 sec.

Shield Satellite - Protea gets a Shield Satellite automatically on cast. Grabbing another Shield Satellite refreshes buff duration. Shield Satellite with better effectiveness overrides the weaker one.

[2] Blazing Artillery -

Each turret shot deals 200 / 250 / 300 Heat Damage with 100% status chance. Plasma shots can pierce through all enemies in their path. Blaze Artillery's overall damage increases by 20% for each successful hit against all enemies caught in a plasma shots, stacking for subsequent plasma charges.

• Number of remaining shots and damage multiplers are shown on the rear of turrets.
  • Turret firing arc is increased to 150 degree cone.
  • Damage scales with enemy level ;
  Reveal hidden contents

Total Heat Damage = Heat Damage × (1 + Ability Strength) × Enemy Level Multiplier

Enemy Level Multiplier = ceil(Enemy Level ÷ 10). The multiplier only increases after 1 level past the per-10-levels mark (e.g. levels 11, 21, 31, 41, etc).

[3] Dispensary - Base duration is increased to 30 sec.

[4] Temporal Anchor - Protea gains 20% cast speed and 20% movement speed for the duration and creates 4 " Checkpoints " throughout 10 sec to save her state.

Checkpoints are created at every quarter of the duration, the first being created immediately on cast ( Anchor Point ). The final checkpoint is created when three-quarters of the duration has elapsed. Whenever a new checkpoint is created, the older one is removed ( Anchor Point is exempt from this ). Checkpoint is shown with different visual effect than afterimages.

// Works similar to Quicksave function. //

• Tap - Full Rewind : Rewinds Protea back to anchor. She creates Explosions on both her last location and at anchor point.
  • Hold - Quick Rewind : Rewinds Protea back to checkpoint. Explosion occurs only on Protea's last location.

( Replaces Implosion's pull effect or possible augment for Temporal Anchor ) Timelock: Protea leaves distruption fields after Temporal Anchor explosions, which freeze enemies and projectiles momentarily then apply decaying slow effect for 5 sec. ( starts with 99% and gets reduced to minimum of 50% slow ). 

Both rewind actions end Temporal Anchor prematurely.

Explosion damage are equal to the 30% of damage done during Temporal Anchor. Explosion has 20 meters base range and damage type is changed to radiation.

Protea keeps her present position and state when duration expires. Anchor and checkpoint are destroyed. ( Current " Hold to Cancel " mechanic becomes a  passive effect. )

Edited by Aeon94

On 2020-06-10 at 5:55 AM, [DE]Bear said:

shrapnel grenades

I know the bunny hop to throw grenade is created all for the style but it always has problem if done near a door etc. Most of the time the hop will make it that the grenades won't be thrown through the doorway. Eg. I want to throw grenade from a cover of fire behind a door but most of the time the grenades will be thrown at myself instead of throwing out through the door and into the enemies. So in situation like this, Protea has to get through the door first before throwing her grenades risky shot by enemies, then come back in and take cover behind the door.

Still not sure why Blaze Artillery has been given such a low duration. It goes against the whole idea of what a turret is for: set and forget.

With max possible duration, Blaze Artillery lasts 9 seconds with the recent buff. It still doesn't really feel like a turret at all because you're in a constant loop of replacing the old ones if you want to keep, say, 3 up at all times. If the multiplier going too high is why the duration is so low, just cap it. I personally think 15 second duration (with 306% power duration) would be the sweet spot in terms of not being too afk, and not being too short to the point of making Protea's playstyle feel tedious.

As for whether the turrets would become an issue that trivializes content with enough duration, consider the fact Octavia can "set and forget" for 61.2 seconds with max duration. Octavia is the nearest comparison I can think of, since there isn't anything else that even comes close to being a relevant turret/deployable defense unit (not counting clones or specters).

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Edit: Not clear on what you changed about her dodge animation, but it's so much better now.
Previously it started way too fast, then slowed down around half-way through. Now it feels like she's actually cartwheeling, rather than being a loose-limb barbie thrown across a room into a sheet of saran wrap.

Long ago, in the Devstream announcing the iirc yet un-named Limbo's kit, Steve made a comment about how 'if we weren't making Warframe, we could make an entire game around [Limbo's toolset]'.  

This is what I thought while I played Temporal Anchor Protea.

After playing her through a potato and a forma (most non-primes get 2-4 if I expect to use them), I'm shelving her.

Her passive's cool. Rewards a bit of thought, but not a gamechanger.

I find her tap-1 very hard to aim -
(Sidebar: How much of that is a combination of my 'low/disabled' gfx settings and the new 'barely there' gfx of u28.0.6? No idea - but I can't see the grenades until they land, and the 'hop' doesn't help matters.)
- though, granted, this is learnable.
Her Hold-1 is probably both her best and her strongest ability, just plop it at your feet.

Blaze Artillery is surprisingly decent now, for either damage or CC.
That said, I get that it's Not A Turret™, but the combination of 3 concurrent, limited cone of vision and short duration hurt it a fair bit.
On the bright side, the cone's unaffected by range, so it's not actively working against any of the rest of her kit (aside from Tap-1, but who cares). Narrow Minded ho!

Dispensary's a worse pizza, and is only really useful if you're camping.
It roots you like a pizza or a Reservoir of Wisp's, but Reservoirs' buff sticks with you if you leave, and you can spam pizzas for faster application.
Neither of which is true for Dispensary. (Though the +%extra pickup is nice.)

Temporal Anchor falls under 'Thanks, I hate it', and is what the Limbo-comparison relates to.
* Like Limbo, TA feels sold short. It's such an impactful, splashy, core ability that it deserved a better-meshing, more synergistic kit. It's the odd-man-out when it should be the linchpin of the kit.
* Thematically, you can spin it as part of a 'tech gadget support' kit, but as that's the only temporal effect in her kit, it's a fair stretch.
* The rewind is grating. And too long.
I've used it in both survivals and defenses, and it still manages to put me out of position unless I cancel it - i.e. spend energy to avoid a detriment vs. gain a benefit. nty.

Note: I haven't tried using it as an offensive nuke, as that requires a whole lot more Forma than I want to have to play Protea through.
Might work, idk, but I'm put off from trying.

I love the idea, but it doesn't fit the kit and it doesn't fit the game.
And I can't stand the rewind.

Edited by Chroia
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I tested her quiet a while.

Passive: no reason to argue this

1st: good defensive ability but less reliable in high lvl missions.

2nd: The damage value is fine. However only one artillery should be placed at a time because it is visually odd 2 more artilleries are deployed from the void. Besides, please increase the duration and the fire rate instead, and make it hit scan so that it can hit enemies running to the side. 

3rd: good ability for stational situation. I like spam arch gun while on the ground. My only argue for this ability is that it takes time to receive its supply, and make it unusable in most of the running missions.

4th: Interesting concept, bad application. Implosion is interesting, but because of her 2nd and 4th short duration she can't have decent range plus line of sight. Not only the duration is too short, her 1st and 3rd already do its job. Also the forced rewind when the ability time outs is disgusting. I like the rewind idea to avoid death , but there is no reason she, who manipulates the time, has to rewind when she does not want but the ability time outs. Please remove the forced rewind when the time counts expired. In addition she needs buff while the ability is activated to make it worth to use. Last but not least, she has to hold her power cell or conduit key in the rewind. 

Edit: I see that holding 4 cancels 4th while active, but it is still disgusting if you forgot to do that.

And, the knock back and damage penalty to avoid death are definitely unnecessary. It just delay your death for few seconds. Please remove them to let her 4th as a true rewind ability, or instead of that, put a buff to increase damage while active as a "special mode" ability. There is no point to use this considering the rewind is useless and there is no other benefit. 

Edited by alseltas
  • Like 2

So... I just wanted to make a comparison between Protea and Gara regarding their defensive abilities. Gara can give anyone and anything 90% overall damage reduction with the simple press of a button, and can replenish the duration of the effect on all affected targets by using Mass Vitrify (considering everyone is in the casting range), all of this excluding the effect of Mending Splinters. On the other... 'hand', we have Protea, which needs to do a little stunt before throwing her grenades, wait for them to "arm", then manually pick it up after her active Shield Satellites have expired. It gives a nice Shields amount and regeneration, yes, but if she takes a big toxin damage proc she's done... I don't know if it's because Gara is meant to be a more defensive Frame, and Protea a Jack-of-all-trades support one, and I know that not every Frame is meant to be played the same way as an other, but for me who wanted to focus solely on this ability in my build, the results felt a little bit underwhelming...

On 2020-06-10 at 5:55 AM, [DE]Bear said:

shrapnel grenades

Presently Protea throwing her Sharpnel Grenade feels like she has been cold proc-ed. I think it will be normal if the previous extended speed of her dodge is now used on her throwing grenades. Now she throws her grenade in slow motion.... slow...

After her changes!

Her 1 and 2 feels a lot better.

Her 3 with this huge duration should really be capped at 15sec and any extra duration should lead to faster spawns.

But her 4 is just like Embers 3. Why am i being punished and thrown back to the beginning of my cast even if i do not die?

This is such an essential change to her that is necessary.

Or open draw, put Protea in, close.

• Like 2

Her shield satellites is *. Wisp's health mote gives more EHP per second and no, you can still die really fast even with satellites on your feet. The shield gating only prevent damage to health but not to shield, this make you draining all of your satellites in a matter of seconds. Hildryn's haven is way better than this. Also, sometimes the satellites thrown are a base strength satellites. This is most likely a bug. Status immunity, increase innate shield DR from 25% to 50%, increase shield capacity, inferior hildryn's shield gating. Take your pick.

The turret damage is good now but, the range should be unaffected by mods. Just let it always shoot 30m away. The radius of the bullets could be affected by range mods to aid better in crowd clearing and stacking damage.

Let us deploy multiple dispensers and you can remove the extra chance for more drops. Instead, ability strength increases the potency of dispenser drops.

Idk how to touch up Temporal anchor, with the added invulnerability window, it certainly has it use as a panic button. The warning sound should appear 2 or 3 seconds before the ability ends. 1.5s is too short of a window to react to when it's pretty chaotic. The implosion has good damage, but there's just too much limitation. The range is just 15m and it's affected by line of sight. Either of that need to be changed. 

There's really no reason to use Temporal anchor, you spend 100 energy and the energies that you got after that won't brought with you. It doesn't even that spammable to kill enemies with the explosion, and while Temporal anchor is active, you literally don't get anything except a peace of mind. I suggest that all abilities casted while temporal anchor is active have their duration increased, when rewinding, all active abilities duration are reset and the explosion happen at the start and end of rewinding.

And for any of you players that don't know, you can cancel Temporal anchor by holding the ability button. You won't get a refund but you still get to keep things you picked up and not interrupted by the rewind.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Blaze Artillery has trouble firing at ragdolled/knocked down enemies. It will target the air above them instead of where their actual bodies are, making the shot miss and wasting its short time staying active.

Otherwise, the extra second, the yellow crits and damage multiplier bonus per hit are making the turrets pack quite a nice punch.

Edit: That was a nice quick fix. Good work team 🙂

Edited by PsiWarp