Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Deadlock Protocol: New Quest Feedback Megathread

SilverBones

WARNING: THIS THREAD MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

If you have feedback on The Deadlock Protocol quest, please leave it here. You may discuss anything in regards to mechanics, but we ask that if you are going to talk anything that may be a spoiler, you utilize the Spoiler function in the bar above: 

image.png

Spoiler

Like this --- DID YOU LIKE IT WHEN JOHN PRODMAN PUNCHED THAT GRINEER IN THE EYE HOLE?
(This is not a legitimate spoiler...

...or is it?)

If you have feedback to leave on the subject of The Deadlock Protocol Quest, then please do so in this thread. Please remember that you should keep your feedback constructive and civil. If you like an aspect of the quest, tell us what you like. If you do not like an aspect, then tell us why, and what you would change to make it better!

Please bear in mind this is not a place to leave bugs you discover while playing. If you do need to report a bug, please use The Deadlock Protocol: Bug Report Megathread

Thank you!

I changed over to my Helios prime during the second (playable) mission of the quest where

Spoiler

You see defend the consoles and get a peek into where the hand is going to

None of the mods equipped on my Helios seemed to be working. I didn't pay attention to it's health, but Animal instinct, Vacuum, and Investigator were definitely not working.

Edit 1: The next playable mission, seemed to be working fine. So not sure if it was a one time issue or specific to that mission.

Edit 2: Just realized this was the feedback thread and not the bug thread.

Spoiler

The boss fight against Protea is nice but can be lengthy. Consider having the specters drop ammunition and other pickups. It's also very visually cluttering due to the FX, which sometimes makes me lose track of where Protea is. Honestly, I think all bosses should have a read outline on their silhouette.

Spoiler

The Protea Spectre fight is an awful experience. Having no ammo on the tile and being forced to equip a terrible melee weapon for the quest is not fun. She also keeps healing to full whenever she reaches 0 hp, I assume the Fortuna guy's lines are supposed to tell you how to stop this, but what he says means nothing to me.

1 hour ago, Jordgubbe said:
  Hide contents

The Protea Spectre fight is an awful experience. Having no ammo on the tile and being forced to equip a terrible melee weapon for the quest is not fun. She also keeps healing to full whenever she reaches 0 hp, I assume the Fortuna guy's lines are supposed to tell you how to stop this, but what he says means nothing to me.

Spoiler

"There! Our rig jockeys! They're trapped in some kind of energy enclosure. You'll need to charge the Xoris to break it open."

"Here they come! Take out the Errants, then use the Xoris to trap the Specter Particles that escape!"

"Full charged! Now Target the enclosure trapping our jockeys."

"She's reversing the temporal field! Try to interrupt it! A fully charged burst from the Xoris might do it!"

Final Encounter:

Spoiler

When fighting Protea, why does my weapon do so little damage as if it had no mods on it? Was this intentional? 

Also were enemies level suppose to increase as you progress further into the fight? Because with the above happening, high level enemies makes it feel like the Grendel missions all over again - excessive bullet sponge.

The quest was mostly fine, but in the new game mode I don't like how the flying enemies will sometimes rush at you in quick succession and basically stun lock you, which can lead to death. I also don't like how there is no indication for their rush attack. It's basically unavoidable and you're fighting against six or more of those things. Huge negative for me because it encourages exploits and "cheap" gameplay instead of skill.

The RNG on the rewards and some of the rewards themselves are bad too. It's nice that you thought about adding tiers and giving all three rewards if we make it to tier three, but it's also kind of an illusion. The tier 1 and tier 2 rewards are mostly credits and endo, which you can find everywhere. Void Traces as a reward is a good thing, but you guys are being very stingy with the amount. And captura scenes should be kept in the market because you only need one of them (assuming you even care). So you're really only getting one reward after all (the tier 3 one) and all of the interesting items appear to be stuffed together in there. So it's the same annoying and crappy RNG after all. Or at least that is how it feels.

I am not a fan of the weapon and I would consider it a quest weapon.  Did it come with a weapon slot?  Are you going to make sure that people with too few weapon slots will be able to get it without throwing away a good weapon?

As for the fight,

Spoiler

I don't like melee in general.  But I was able to get a hang of it quickly.  It still seemed kind of clunky and overwhelming with the constantly spawning in enemies.  It just starts like the same old same old particle meltdown in the middle of a particle storm with particle sundaes and particle fountain drinks spraying all over the place.  Inception had less junk flying around during the exploding neighborhood seen.

Particle effects have come a long way, but it is overwhelming even when they are turned down some but not turned off.

The steps seemed to work but it completely left me relying on interpretation and guessing rather than being what the quest voices were telling me.  If someone gets a bug where the npcs don't speak, or if they turned the volume down, they won't know anything and will just have to quit out.

The Quest was alright in my opinion, loved the new/updated vaults (Mostly because im not sure if they were completely new or just updated eitherway I love Spy missions),

Spoiler

Anyhow The Void Rescue and boss fight that comes after....oh boy I did manage to do it solo but keeping track of all the NPC's and the boss herself was quite troothgrindingly frustrating, plus the manditory forced weapon kind of sucked If it worked similar to the Parazon It might have been better but hey can't win em all, lastly the random staggers that would come seemingly from nothing at all, this was by far the elephant in the room I mean hell once I even got stagged just from making a tactical retreat (AKA Running away to regenerate sheilds) I also almost ran out of revives because of the frequencies of said staggers, honestly without that Adaption mod I doubt I would have been able to finish it.

TLDR? Not a casual friendly quest at all, or maybe it is and I am just not a good player, it really could go either way.

Edit:

Spoiler

The Protea parts drops come from the Granum Void (I am sure I butchered that spelling but its just that time of night for me), The Parts drops gives me Nidus flashbacks....not a good time, but seeing as I technically havent attempted one yet nor seen the drop rates the sheer volume of possible rewards is not encouraging but who knows maybe It won't be so bad after all.

I'll be honest, I was really liking the quest. No negative feedback at all. 

Until I got to the final boss fight. 

Honestly, I appreciate the hard work that went into it, but I am hoping some player feedback will help you all fix it for the future, because the final boss fight is a bit of a mess. 

It's frustrating, and not at all fun. It is literally one of the only times I can remember where I was playing Warframe and I didn't play through until I was out of my revives, I just used alt + F + 4 and shut down the game in frustration. I don't want to sound mean, but as a player experience, it was insanely frustrating. So that I am being constructive, I will explain exactly why this was not a fun fight in any way, and did not feel challenging in a good way. I also have some suggestions on how to fix it. 

1) We are forced to use not only a glaive, but a specific glaive. This leaves us with a choice we shouldn't be expected to make. Either take ourselves out of the moment to go rank this thing, or take an unranked melee into a mission so we don't spoil the immersion. 

This could be fixed by making it come ranked to start. If you don't want people to have mastery on it whatever, or just hand people 3K mastery, it's a drop in the bucket. This messes with the immersion of the quest, and is unnecessary. Or let this be a separate mastery weapon, but make the bp an attachment we can put on any glaive we already have, idk. 

2) We are constantly beset by specters, constantly. We never get any breathing room. No matter where you go on the map, you stop for one moment to fight you are getting hit by like 5-6 specter lasers. And if you kill them, there is NO pause. They just come swarming right back again. 

Solution, give us some breathing room. Constantly seeing lasers, flashing specters, flashing lights and colors and a constant group of enemies that keep staggering you, it's incredibly frustrating and you cannot focus on the objective at all. If we kill a certain amount in an area, at least give us a small cooldown before they spawn back again in the same area. Give us a little bit of space. 

3) The explanation for what to do is hard to understand, and frustrating to pull off. I not only did the quest, I also read her abilities, I read the quest page on the wiki. I read the forums. I should be more well informed than most, and it was still difficult to understand what you are supposed to do. And even harder to pull off. I need to knock her health down, as far as I can tell, then when she tries to do the rewind thing, I have to hit her with a glaivesplosion. The problem is that this is frustrating to figure out without research, and once you do, hard to pull off because of the constant staggers from the never ending specter attacks. Like, never in all my warframe days have I lost health so much just from low level enemies that NEVER stop respawning when I am supposed to be focused on another objective. 

Again, give us a bit of a break on the specters, and maybe throw in a couple more lines of in game explanation. 

4) And finally, this is more of an aesthetic thing, but the specter repeating the same thing over and over and over, just makes me want to bang my head against a wall. It doesn't make it spooky, it doesn't make it creepy. If she had more lines of dialogue than just "I am your beginning, I am your end", than it would have had more of a creep factor too it. Instead, it's like your little brother who thinks creepy is repeating the same spooky sentence in your ear over and over until it's lost all meaning, and you want to shove him in a closest so he'll shut up. 

Just, please give her more lines of dialogue, or just have her shut up entirely. One of the first times I remember actually taking off my headphones playing warframe (which messed with sound feedback for playing the game), because it was so annoying. 

Other than that, thank you for a great new quest and a great update. 

You know, there's not much point to this feedback, because existing writing is definitely not going to change, but I want to say it anyhow: Can you guys stop having the villains constantly act in such idiotic ways just for the sake of being cartoon villains? Why would Nef even bother kidnapping random people to use as test subjects, people tied to a violent resistance group that's repeatedly trounced him when needlessly agitated, just for the sake of sending them through a portal to check for something? He's got an infinite legion of disposable robots to use as probes. As ever it feels like he's just written to go out of his way to rub in our faces as much as possible "OOOOH LOOK AT WHAT A NEFARIOUS BAD GUY HE IS! WHAT RIGHTEOUS UNDERDOGS THE SOLARIS ARE!"

His attempt at taking over the entire corpus board is a motivational threat on its own that gives the Tenno plenty of reason to get involved. The constant shoving in of the Solaris just makes me roll my eyes. And I feel like this heavy-handed way of just forcibly shoving people into events is a trend, like with Little Duck inexplicably being in charge of Scarlet Spear despite having ZERO reason to be, and having the character who's been warning us of this for years (Teshin) suddenly written to not believe in it just because your writer thought it would be a zany twist to have Little Duck in charge instead.

EDIT: On notes that aren't that, the quest seemed pretty alright. But I think it was a... very questionable decision to make it hinge around absolutely having to use a throwing glaive, when their treatment in melee 3.0 seemed to get universally negative reception and was never improved.

I liked the lore and the missions, until the finale. Perhaps it could have been a little bit less cartoonish evil (say instead of forcing the Solaris workers, Nef coercing/offering them with a debt relief they can't refuse), but I liked it very well.

As for the finale, sorry, I get it, you love glaives, and they look cool, but that was the most unresponsive and unfun thing I've had in Warframe so far (even the X rounds of "oh no jackal's bugged out again" in yesterday's Sortie were more fun and engaging).

I gave up a few times, Ragequit with ALT-F4, wrote my frustration in the forums, and after getting a few hints and tips, I gave it one final shot.

Still, the glaive worked totally unpredictable and relying on it sucked so hard I was about to quit the game for good. I didn't even have problems Surviving to bring Protea down to zero, but I couldn't get the Glaive to work. Whenever Biz sayed "now is the time to throw the disc" I tried, but half of the time my frame didn't throw (or Prothea was already regenrated before it was thrown) and I couldn't let it explode predictably either. It took 30 Minutes to win against that piece of **** and in the end I'm pretty sure I didn't win because I mastered the weapon or something, but by sheer dumb luck. Or the mission bugged out and let me win, I don't know.

If that's the general "Glaive"-experience, I'm glad I never wasted time and energy on them before and I'm pretty sure I'll never touch them again. If you ever revamp this mission, perhaps give the option to use/transform the Xoris as a mod or an arcane that allows to harvest specters instead of this horrible experience.

OUTSTANDING QUEST!

The only problem I have is that I missed the middle of Nef's story and the climax of Parnum's story because of THIS eternal issue: 

It's not always a problem but it's a problem that has chronically turned one of Warframe's greatest and most unique strengths into a frustrating (sometimes severely so) buzz kill!

The script and characters are great, I must admit. The new villain isn't only relatable, he's charismatic and seems to be somewhat aligned with us, which makes sense, due to his past. After all, he was killed during the Orokin Empire era. I still wonder if he's really a human or a tenno. His glowing, golden hand, the fact that he survives in the void, his power, Protea, and the fact that he created specters, points to the fact that he's either an expert on the void and warframe technology to the point he surpasses Ballas or he's somewhat connected to us. I wonder if he'll make an appearance in Duviri. 

What I disliked is that, the first missions were monolithic. Next time, spice things up with mixed objectives.

I found the quest to be rather pleasant. I think we could have handled more in the way of towers during the interception portion. I was also very fond of the rift area when I first  entered, I definitely wanted it used in more then just the quest. The glaive, and Protea were not an issue for me, but then glaives have always been a favorite of mine to begin with.☺️

I'm sorry, so very very sorry but I absolute am developping a deepseated intense hatred for the protea fight and in this my enjoyment of warframe's new content is going down the drain fast...extremely fast.
here's my reasons why:

* I'm forced using a weapon that's definitely NOT player friendly:
**it's combo's are extremely narrow in range up close and have a deadzone for the medium range forcing you to get up close at which point Protea will absolutely shred a new or intermediate playtime player and you will miss half of your hits.
* Protea has an absurd shield recharge causing any miss with Xoris to be an instant reset threat on your progress and she becomes resistant against damage types to boot (hello immortal boss for those who don't know how to use their operator)
**Even fully modded and forma'd the damage output on health (on protea) is abysmal
** having to use alt fire to progress step her phases is tedious as the only reasonable way to pull this off is at close range at which point look up for the risks in doing that
**there's no breathing room at all even from the start of the fight with protea hitscanning those machinegun pistols on you whilst spectres fly around you pummeling you with lasers and this gets progressively worse over time
***The moment spectres go "spectral" they immediately start to flee, preferring to go up (at which point you can forget about melee'ing them...alt fire is just about your only solution) so you're better off PRE-CHARGING your xoris and for gods sake don't use the blast afterwards anymore because getting charges whilst protea is rewinding is DEFFO not for a new player and even intermediate players will have a hard time trying to capture dodging spectres
***No drops in the arena so your FORCED to melee protea eventually
**Protea loves to get herself stuck or in places where the glaive won't properly hit her (try up/down a slope, in a canyon) and even has a tendency to teleport all the way to the other side of the arena on occasions

It's issue upon issue upon issue with this fight causing the whole fight to become terribly agrivating for new or intermediate players.

I have done the fight some 20 times now...haven't been able to complete it once...went in with a tank built rhino and tried to faceroll her (got facerolled myself)...tried range (not enough damage output on Xoris if she doesn't simply evade the throw alltogether to instantly recharge her shield)...the furthest I've come is by using a Oberon and Corinth and pummel her with airburst whilst keeping a charged Xoris for the immortality phase (ran out of ammo  trying to dodge the barrage of mines, turrets volleys and lasers coming at you in the final pahse) but at least I lasted for a full hour....A FULL HOUR...NO %^&*&^$ fight should take me a full hour only to STILL fail in the end. 

this is NOT a lvl 19-21 quest
More like a lvl 41-60 quest

I wanted to share my time with this mission, because whenever a lower level quest like this gets released I like to pull out my starter Volt and weapons and mod them to what I think might be close to where a newer player would be at going by the mission level. There was some...difficulty spikes. That said I checked the requirements for the mission and given the Mastery Requirement of 4, I figured I had undershot the average player's power level for whenever they might play this, and went at it again with somewhat stronger mods/ MR4 weapons. I'll be more specific in the spoiler

Spoiler

So first run I went with a Volt that I think was at Rank 17 because I was in the middle of formaing it, and some defense mods totaling 12-20 mod points, in line with whatever the mission level was displayed. Same with the MK1-Braton, Lato, and Skana. Enemies were a bit chewy but Volt's 1 cleared large groups and even with only 10-14 points of Vitality/Redirection it's not hard to melee charge or bypass enemies. I tried to avoid bullet jump kart racing too much as I don't think newer players would be able to do that at this point in the game yet and I wanted to appreciate the new tileset.

The big pain points were the Treasurers and Protea. Whittling down the Treasurers with enemies constantly spawning and underpowered weapons wasn't fantastic but the Volt Shield helped and eventually you could chase him into a place where he would run in a circle for a bit before returning to the center of the space. Protea's combination of near instant shield recharge, backflipping over the mountains at the edge of the arena, horrific slash procs if you try to melee her, trash specters randomly nuzzling you like a lonely horse left on the prairie too long when you're trying to freaking shoot her were just [Indescribable Rage]. Basically you need to just tank damage and shooter her and hope she doesn't phase into a cliff side while back flipping. Spamming the glaive throw/explosion sort of worked for damage and clearing out the Specters, but if anything went wrong with the throw, 100% shield immediately. The glaive is the only weapon the player is sure to have at this point, but they might not have a stance, and they might not take the time to rank it, with little space in the previous missions to do so. It also sucked finding out she's just immune to the shield bypass from Toxin damage/statuses, even though that's an extremely sensible thing a newer player would bring against The Shield Faction. I did notice however sometimes her shield didn't recharge completely, and I think it's because Volt's passive was procing Electricity on her occasionally which stopped it. So I could easily abort now and go mod the Braton for that, but that's a weird thing to expect the player to do after all this build up and all the supporting characters conveying the urgent need to Defeat Protea NOW. 

Eventually I lost patience and called an Archgun to cheese the fight. That's when I went and tested this kit on the other Level 20~ Boss, Alad. That was when I figured I was probably underestimating expected player powerlevel. I tried some more kits, looked more at the wiki and saw the MR4 thing, looked at what was available and where in the Starchart they'd probably be. They'd probably have their weapons ranked, probably have the potato from that one mission at the very least, so I went back with a more powerful Volt and regular Braton and Lex(yes this was ill advised) and it was still kind of terrible, but the extra defense on Volt meant I could just tank the garbage and shoot more reliably. Also Valkyr. Valkyr can just delete her, it's been so long I forgot that's how I handled many problems when I came back from a big hiatus and didn't have any of the mods or weapons to delete things from range. But then again I don't think the problem is players ability to beat her, it's that they're going to get to the fight thinking their loadout is fine and everything has building up to this dramatic end, and alot of people are either going to ram their head against the fight until they're raging, or need to sheepishly abort The Final Showdown and go fiddle with their mods.

I think if something earlier in the quest chain forced players to configure their mods for this instance it would be better, and just hope they don't change it out before the fight. The Treasurers were tanky, but their shields stay basically depleted. I think maybe the idea was people would despise the Treasurer encounters so much they would mod a weapon for magnetic but, eh. It might be good to have a Treasurer that has a similar type of shield to Protea show up, one with less capacity but a near instant recharge, so the player configures for that first.

Also I had no problems with the glaive and using it to clear the specters, but they respawned so fast it felt irrelevant so I just ignored them alot.

Quest is great and I love new story and characters, but bossfight is the most frustrating part of the game I'v encounted.

Спойлер

Because of consoles we cannot have good things, especially good controls, so using glaive for that exact timing with all this throwing and explosion mechanics is a REAL PAIN, especially if you'v ignored glaive weapons for past 3-5 years.

Lot of visual spam from all this spectres, and complicated landscape makes harder to track everything.

Again - staggers and different types of stunlocks - worst part of the game.

"Repeat this 4 times" - no comments.

Fight is extremely punishing for it's supposed Mastery 4 - even full tanked Inaros with some good weapons (except of quest glaive) got kicked A LOT.

7 часов назад, AshPrinny сказал:

went in with a tank built rhino and tried to faceroll her

You should try take Inaros with passive tank - just put every armor and HP mod inside (and 'Adaptation', because it supposed to be completable at MR4, yes 😁), got problems and used 'Health Restore' consumable at least once but completed from the first try.

On 2020-06-11 at 9:47 PM, JHarlequin said:

I am not a fan of the weapon and I would consider it a quest weapon.  Did it come with a weapon slot?  Are you going to make sure that people with too few weapon slots will be able to get it without throwing away a good weapon?

No it did not come with a weapon slot. So we either have to get rid of a weapon we want, or spend platinum. Which is borderline mild extortion.

Spoiler

When the Xoris is fully charged, There needs to be a bit more visual indication, because Biz stop saying "Full charge!" in the battle with Protea. Making the Xoris start "glowing" and trailing like the channelling visual effect would be nice, as well as a nice audible "charged" sound.

Also, the orange blips at the side of the crosshair that indicates full charge clashes with the red yellow background of the scene, making it somewhat difficult to see them at first.

13 hours ago, T-362 said:

You should try take Inaros with passive tank - just put every armor and HP mod inside (and 'Adaptation', because it supposed to be completable at MR4, yes 😁), got problems and used 'Health Restore' consumable at least once but completed from the first try.

Tried that too but still got facerolled...a little less hard but facerolled nonetheless. Granted I don't have the selection of mods a veteran would have nor the experience but I've played the game long enough that 1 hr survival missions aren't uncommon anymore for me and truth be told...I think that's more doable than protea for the power level she's supposed to have.

Mind you...persistence was key (I finally downed her yesterday) and basically used Corinth with a shieldstripper build to down her shield fast and then use a precharged Xoris to finish the job. Last phase was still hellish as blazes but the airburst of corinth made killing and collecting spectres easier

There is no info anywhere that you will be unable to throw Xoris if you have your secondary out (due to it having secondary + melee). Please add it, it was hard to

Spoiler

kill Protea

because of it (as I had bad primary at that time, I was using secondary to damage)

Am 14.6.2020 um 20:26 schrieb Nyekomimi:

There is no info anywhere that you will be unable to throw Xoris if you have your secondary out (due to it having secondary + melee). Please add it, it was hard to

Unsichtbaren Inhalt anzeigen

kill Protea

because of it (as I had bad primary at that time, I was using secondary to damage)

Really!? That would explain my frustration with that mission.

EDIT: Just tried it out: It depends on Weapon mode you're in.

Quick Attack or Meele only: It works with the heavy attack button but not with holding meele attack.
Dual Wield: Throwing works only with holding/charging meele attack button.

The latter is not explained in the mission, so if you switch to secondary, or the primary runs out of ammo, you're basically #*!%ed.

Archived