Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Deadlock Protocol: Re-Imagined Corpus Tileset Feedback Megathread

SilverBones

Came here to say I absolutely love the new Corpus Ship tileset: my main issue with the original tileset was that it was largely ill-suited to our parkour, as it was largely flat and constricted. The new tileset addresses this completely with open, properly three-dimensional tiles, and I've found traversal through them to be very enjoyable (the lack of breakable windows also helps significantly). Additionally, the advances in DE's tech and design truly show, as the tileset is beautiful and full of interesting details, such as the technicians operating inside various bits of terrain. Kudos on a job well done.

When the Jovian Concord released, I had a similar reaction: I loved how its tiles were significantly larger and much more parkour-friendly, and hoped that would set the standard for future tileset reworks (in fact, my only real criticism at the time was that there were other tilesets in greater need of a rework). I'm very glad to see that this is the case, and I'd like to see more tileset reworks like these too. A few tilesets haven't aged particularly well, and some, notably the Corpus Infested Ship tileset, I'd say are in fact rather unpleasant to navigate. More than practically any other update released in recent times, the Jovian Concord and Deadlock Protocol updates I think have brought lasting and major improvement to Warframe, thanks to their overhaul of tilesets that we use for practically all of our missions. With similar updates to the rest, and perhaps the addition of new tilesets for planets that currently lack them, the game could consistently look and feel as amazing as we've all been hoping for so long.

On 2020-06-18 at 10:13 AM, DrivaMain said:

This is one huge unpopular opinion. But I suggest you consider quitting now. Corpus Outpost and Corpus Ice Planet is next on the rework list.

You may not like his points, but I actually agree with him - the old corpus ship tileset *was* clean. It was much easier to navigate, the cameras were more forgiving and the spy/rescue rooms actually had the little hidden side passages which rewarded learning the tiles. Now? Those side passages for rescue are blocked off. Spy is mostly intact (if scaled up massively), but  While most of the tiles are OK, some have these stupid bits in which you get stuck between a railing and a ledge. Sure, it might look pretty, but it is INCREDIBLY annoying. You're sacrificing fluid gameplay for looks and in a game whose unique selling point is its fluidity of motion, this is cutting your own throat. Here's an example of a pointless little nook in which the players can get stuck:

Warframe0003.jpg

The new defence tile is a horrific maze which makes waves drag on forever, much like the new jupiter defence tile. It's too big and too windy.

Doing a sabotage mission in overheat mode (take out coolant cells, put fuel back in, restart and stab reactor) seems to cause magnet bubbles, which normally only happen if you stuck fuel into the coolant socket. The timer never used to start instantly either - this is very bad as mentioned in the case of kuva siphons or medallion hunting.

The treasurer enemy has two problems: firstly is that it seems to be bugged in how much damage it takes (or rather does not take - the damage numbers which pop off it are 3 orders of magnitude less than for other enemies in the same mission, it's not physically possible for me to kill one that appears in a kuva flood before it teleports away, nothing like this was ever mentioned in any of the patch notes, the reasonable conclusion here is that there's a bug in the game) and also has a very annoying spawn mechanic in that it's quite possible to finish the mission before it even appears.

Also, why do I have to manually walk up and use the crown items to collect them? There's no benefit to not collecting them, so why are they not picked up on contact (and vacuumed)?

Granum void missions: for the few that I've done, I noticed that I can't actually kill enough things to hit rotation C. The spectre ghosts move pretty fast and don't seem to take much damage from incoming fire, so I never seem to down them either with max range orthos prime swings or automatic pistol fire before they hit a full spectre and merge with it to increase their HP. I really hope the answer to this is not "use the xoris" because glaive weapons have been terrible ever since melee 3.0 and I am not going to sacrifice my main weapon just to grind my face out against some gear which I'm just going to 30 and forget.

Elites - their supras seem to have acquired explosive damage and the only indication that this is even happening is that your health and that of your sentinel starts going down even from misses. There's no kind of impact effect to indicate that these things are exploding. Since they're so incredibly common, this results in your sentinel exploding through no fault of your own and with very little that you can do about it.

What do I like about it? The music. That, at least, is beautiful. It's got this Deus Ex Human Revolution vibe and I really want it in my somachord. Also, it's nice to finally see a corpus enemy (elites) which doesn't fire the same boring pale blue bolt as ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ELSE EVER. Corpus weapons completely lost all of their identity when each and every one of them had their energy colour forced to pale blue.

On 2020-06-18 at 1:52 AM, DeltaPangaea said:

As for the tileset rework itself? I like it. It looks pretty. Could do with some variety so not every corpus ship in the sector belongs to Nef and is kitted out with his face and exultations to Granum, but y'know.

My biggest beef though? The Solaris captives. I love the dialogue on them, stuff like yelling threats at thin air, or musing on the metal their restraints are made of... but come the hell on. This is set up to make you feel bad in the most exploitative way. You can get ONE crown at most per level. You can quite easily get two or even three Solari captives. So even if you WERE going to spend all your crowns freeing them (And thus cast any hope of the Granum Void to the winds) even THEN you're gonna have to walk away from a bunch.

Why do these restraints need Crowns to open in the first place? Why does Solaris U care what type of Crown I used when the thing they care about is 'person came home'? And why do they give so LITTLE? Oh yes, you freed a loving husband from certain death, we now appreciate you more equivalent to saving a rat on the Vallis.

Crowns honestly feel like the kind of thing we could just fork over to SU for bargaining chips, give 'em to Ticker like debt bonds, while Solaris captives in missions we should just be able to save at no cost. 100 each you find at no cost would be nice and I wouldn't have to leave the poor #*!%s alone to die. Sorry cove, I'd love to save you, but I'm trying for the Void. Or I already spent my crowns and I literally cannot get more without finding more of you to not save.

Please do something about this state of affairs.

Absolutely agree with the Solaris Prisoner stuff. Hearing their (amazing) dialogue when they think I'm rescuing them only to have to then turn and leave without a word literally makes me want to *cry* because I feel so bad. Can't I do a difficult manual hack or something to free them? I started playing Warframe this month and I love it but I kind of want to stop playing until this is patched because it's emotionally exhausting. T_T

I'm kind of a newb, and having trouble beating Protea, so I can't get crowns at all and I meet like 1-3 prisoners per mission. I try to avoid the granum crown tiles whenever possible for this reason, but (a) I can't practically do that because they replaced like all the corpus ship tilesets and (b) I'm still unlocking the starmap and grinding certain basic drops, newb remember, so I keep having to run missions with prisoners who I can't free and just getting more and more put off. I'm in a supersoldier warmachine body, why can't I hack or just break the restraints?

(Also agree with the corpus ship variety, you could have kept some of the old tiles for more variety with less work).

B4 I indulge:

Does it support archwing, hoverboards, zephyrs aerial limits, Arbitrary out of bounds(get rid of those everywhere in the game) and wall running/hopping? 

Does the boss move around or sit just there and complain?

Buck these design flaws going forward and warframe will be greater than ever....dont listen and keep gimping the experience!

Could something be done about the Juno Elite Crewmen's splash damage? Sentinel users already have enough to worry about with the new electricity status effects, we don't need yet another enemy that murders them with AOE.

At this point, I'd seriously recommend reworking the way Sentinels function so they fit more of a support role, because as it is now they can't compete against Pets and MOAs.

The sortie today (yesterday) had a spy mission on the ice planet tileset, which meant it used the older corpus spy vaults. I'd actually thought those had been removed for some reason, since the only higher level corpus spy mission in my head was Oceanum, which is on the ship tileset.

Having replayed the older vaults again, even if just briefly, my stance is the same as my first impression: You guys made corpus spy vaults MUCH worse in this tileset rework. I genuinely do not think there was ANY benefit to taking the same room layouts, tripling their scale, and then removing every alternative route. It's just a flat-out downgrade to the gameplay; slightly more tedious to move around because of being bigger, and removal of options for how to approach them. I'm not a fan of the tileset rework as a whole, but I really hope there'll be another pass at things like the spy vaults and rescue missions. Especially since you guys didn't really even come up with new designs for them, you just... downgraded the existing ones.

On 2020-06-12 at 11:34 AM, DebrisFlow said:

Having to play again and again and again low level missions to gain tokens to access the "new" game mode is boring and unneccessary, especially as a solo player: one token per treasurer is just low. Finish the mission in 1 min, then aimlessly loiter for 1-2 min for the treasurer to spawn...wow

Then don't do it. But you have to get Protea as soon as possible, right? And in a couple of months you'll sit on a S#&$ ton of crowns anyway. This mentality of children at the super market checkout isle ...

So I ran by some Vox Solaris captives and my copilot at the time, who is 9, was very confused why I didn't save them when they were calling out for help, and upset when I explained why I couldn't help them.

Nine year-olds are certainly not your target demographic, so I don't know how much their feedback of "that's dumb" really helps, but I think the potentially useful kernel there would be: it could be confusing to new players what's going on with the captives. Especially down the line, when new players don't know about this update. They might think they need to do it or they'll be punished for extracting without doing so. It's also not clear that only one coin boi will spawn in a level, so they might hang about needlessly waiting for more.

I think it's an ongoing problem for Warframe, with layering content atop content, and an unavoidable one, but which can be mitigated. My suggestion would be to have a transmission from whomever, saying essentially, "Good job, you got this ship's treasurer; all done with that!" And, "Thanks for freeing me! We'll get the rest out somehow; you did your part!" Or something.

1 minute ago, Inichor said:

So I ran by some Vox Solaris captives and my copilot at the time, who is 9, was very confused why I didn't save them when they were calling out for help, and upset when I explained why I couldn't help them.

Nine year-olds are certainly not your target demographic, so I don't know how much their feedback of "that's dumb" really helps, but I think the potentially useful kernel there would be: it could be confusing to new players what's going on with the captives. Especially down the line, when new players don't know about this update. They might think they need to do it or they'll be punished for extracting without doing so. It's also not clear that only one coin boi will spawn in a level, so they might hang about needlessly waiting for more.

I think it's an ongoing problem for Warframe, with layering content atop content, and an unavoidable one, but which can be mitigated. My suggestion would be to have a transmission from whomever, saying essentially, "Good job, you got this ship's treasurer; all done with that!" And, "Thanks for freeing me! We'll get the rest out somehow; you did your part!" Or something.

Yeah, I can understand that, and either way, only one treasurer per run; if they wanted the hostages saved, perhaps more treasurers should show. I love your suggestion though, hunting down said treasurer or even a special version, and that freeing all the Solaris United currently imprisoned on the ship.

On 2020-06-20 at 1:02 AM, Teridax68 said:

Came here to say I absolutely love the new Corpus Ship tileset: my main issue with the original tileset was that it was largely ill-suited to our parkour, as it was largely flat and constricted. The new tileset addresses this completely with open, properly three-dimensional tiles, and I've found traversal through them to be very enjoyable (the lack of breakable windows also helps significantly). Additionally, the advances in DE's tech and design truly show, as the tileset is beautiful and full of interesting details, such as the technicians operating inside various bits of terrain. Kudos on a job well done.

When the Jovian Concord released, I had a similar reaction: I loved how its tiles were significantly larger and much more parkour-friendly, and hoped that would set the standard for future tileset reworks (in fact, my only real criticism at the time was that there were other tilesets in greater need of a rework). I'm very glad to see that this is the case, and I'd like to see more tileset reworks like these too. A few tilesets haven't aged particularly well, and some, notably the Corpus Infested Ship tileset, I'd say are in fact rather unpleasant to navigate. More than practically any other update released in recent times, the Jovian Concord and Deadlock Protocol updates I think have brought lasting and major improvement to Warframe, thanks to their overhaul of tilesets that we use for practically all of our missions. With similar updates to the rest, and perhaps the addition of new tilesets for planets that currently lack them, the game could consistently look and feel as amazing as we've all been hoping for so long.

Totally agree with you. Also just came to leave some positive comments after reading so much toxic & unconstructive negative "fEeDbAcK"  in this thread. It's really disgusting to read. 🤢🤮

I personally really love that the Corpus ships got an overhaul. Graphics, lighting and textures are top notch for a free to play game in 2020. Really well done, DE!

Parvos Granum is a really great and interesting character and the cutscene where he and the Granum Void were introduced was amazingly animated.
Working in the filmmaking industry myself I really enjoyed that cutscene. Unfortunately the dialogue animations between Little Duck and Bussines on Fortuna felt a bit dull though (compared to Parvos' cutscene).
They were literally just cutted back and forth between the two. Voice acting was on point. As usual!

Protea was hard to play against but very challenging. I liked it a lot. Took me around 4 tries. Once I had a bug though:
She clipped through the glassy part of the temple (where she sits at the beginning) after she did her time-rewind-backflippy thing.

Also really loved to do those Granum Void runs. It was a nice and rewarding experience from aquisition of the coins to the aquisition of the parts for PROTEA, STROPHA & STAHLTA. The Granum Void is easily playable with maxed out kits on all difficulties if you equip the XORIS and use that heavy attack it is intended for. Turn some specters into "ghosts" and charge the XORIS with 3 charges and there you using the heavy attack to go yolo-rofl-multikilling the heck out of the specters with that SATISFYING BASS SFX (goddammit whose brilliant idea was that? it's feels SOOOOOO GUUUD & SATISFYING!  ).

Oh and the Garnum decorations are amazing as well! Trying to get my hands on every decorations available but I can't find much info about them rather than turning in keys as an offering to that big Parvos statue.
That was a really nice idea!

So generally speaking: Super cool content! Could use a tiny bit more cinematic animating in some cutscenes but I know that there might have been time constraints.
Anyways, thanks for the content!

EDIT:
Totally forgot the Jackal rework! Amazingly done! Awesome ingame cutscene. I literally saw my and others Warframes moving and flying like a ninja after that Jackal dozens and dozens of times and I still love it. It's great for the immersion while also not being too long.

The mechanics are easily understandable for beginners after a few tries while looking amazing and flashy. The Parazon usage is also a very nice touch since it will be easier for new players to get familiar with it.

On 2020-06-13 at 4:47 PM, renleech said:

The ammount of enemy spawns in survival probably was not adjusted considering the dimensions of the new tileset. Everything is bigger, so the enemies have to run more to reach us. And they are not enough. During the survival, i was always on the edge, thinking "where are they?".

Seconding this. Previously I could fissure solo survival for 30+ mins without issues on a non-meta setup, this last meso I tried I managed to open one relic. Maybe the level I got just wasn't a good fit, having this huge rectangular room with stairs you could likely fit a railjack into.

I'll ask a friend along next time to see how much duo increases spawn rate.

Visually I mostly like the tileset, since now it feels like all these troops could fit inside.

Like some others here I also feel bad for not being able to release Solaris captives, so I think they work as intended on the emotional side 😛

The new defense tile is far too large. It takes ages for enemies to even slowly trickle in. It's so bad that I'm not even sure how to fix it without making a new map entirely. Enemies spawn too far away, on too many levels and too isolated. If making a new map for defense is not an option, make the enemies spawn in large groups out of only a few number of spawnpoints, as close as possible to the defense pod. At this point give them a speedbuff aswell.

This new re-imagined Corpus Ship's spy vaults. It is identical to the old version and vents which served as shortcut were put in places identical to the old version too, but why now blocked off over 90% of the shortcut vents in the new version? It is telling players to use the direct approach route since there is no more shortcut.

Why this decision? Now new Corpus Ship spy vaults have no variety of routes to approach and hack the consoles. It somewhat made the vaults boring now.

The new tileset looks really cool. But for gameplay it is to confusing. Especially the new defens map is my new hate map. Worse than the defens map on uranus and the big outside quadrat corpus complex map. Even with aoe nuke frames, 5 waves need double time of other Maps. Io-Jupiter same, the rework destroy one of the best def-maps and replaced it with a bad map. But the new ship-map is much more timewasting. Pls take more focus for a nice gameplay, thats no funny maps.

The new boss fight with Jackal looks nice and have nice ideas. First fight you will think nice. But we are in a grind game and do the same thing again and again and again. Thats to much long time intermissions for a repetetive farming.

The gramun void enter mechanik is a realy bad idea. Conflict potential for random groups on tileset. Someone want play the void, someone want go to exit... And of course the waiting time for the treasurer. 1min Mission 2-3 minutes waiting for the spawn. Repetetive is okay, but not with so many empty time.

On 2020-06-17 at 1:13 AM, Zaiben said:

For me, the old tileset was crisp, clean, uniform, with high visibility, incredibly intuitive, and quick to maneuver around. Rooms had some vertical space but mostly flat flooring so the space gave way for defensive acrobatics when you stay but you can leave in a hurry if need be. The consistency and cleanness of its appearance made it rather quick to pick up and learn, and it generally only had a few flaws like the broken window lockdowns.

The general scale also seems off. While it may have been the intent to make the rooms feel larger, instead it just feels like the player is smaller, and slower as a result since we're not able to speed through those corridors quite as quickly. This being compounded when some rooms have pointless overhangs that an overzealous jump might clear, only to find yourself wedged between a window and a walkway, so you sigh and jump out before continuing on. There are some nice open spaces in some rooms but then with walkways and tunnels hidden below, now navigating some of them feels like a chore, trying to find a way through a maze compared to what was once two bullet jumps at most to reach a clearly visible door. Many of the rooms are line-of-sight nightmares where a player would almost rather bring a nuke frame to not have to deal with hunting enemies weaving between crates that are two walkways down. Do you want people to play more nuke frames? Because that's how you encourage nuke frames.

Agree.   My favorite defense map, (yay Phobos), has been replaced with possibly my least favorite defense map (narrowly beating out the Kuva Fortress defense).   Old corpus tile set was clean, bright, easy to see, easy to navigate, and good to fight enemies in.   (Also, Moa cabinets!   Why were those taken out?)   The new defense map is like a 5 tier labyrinth with enemies scattered everywhere.  Encouraging us to play Saryn maybe, and let her spores to the work?   I used to play Phobos defense whenever I'd see it on the fissure list, now I avoid corpus fleet defense whenever I can.  The non-defense tiles are sort of hit and miss for me, on the plus side there's no breaking glass, but it's more likely to fall off an edge.

Things I like:  The music.  Very cool, sort of Mass Effect.   Like the parvos granum shrines with the codex decorations you can buy from them.  The design is pretty, though rather dark. 

As far as the tileset.... I find it to be clunky...   There are so many twists and turns and nooks and crannies.  Im on a space ship but there are places that have pathways that if you jump over the side to explore whats underneath you get your position reset?? Then why have the freaking gaps there??  

But yea the worst part of the new tileset is all the god damn security camera's.  Every tile has atleast 2 cameras which means if you are rushing a squad through the map then just about every damn door is going to toss up laser barriers.  Not fun.  In the old tiles they were more visible and most could be smash just by jumping and meleeing.  

The sabotage room, one of the rooms where you pull the thingy from used to have a shortcut under the floor to bypass the doors.  Now its just gone...you either purposely trigger an alarm so you can shoot the thingy or you hack the door  =(.   That room used to be bigger, now its smaller... 

I would love to talk about specific tiles but I dont have the pictures to help for reference.  Theres a few I have issue with..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will say that the tile that has the Parvos stone slabs is too damn rare!!!!!   It only shows up like 1 out of every 6-10 missions.  I farmed Protea and all her weapons the first 2 days of deadlock.  Going after these stone slabs is taking MUCH LONGER just because the damn tile never shows up!!!!!

There is a very narrow hallway that leads into stairs that leads into a smallish rectangular room with I think 2 doors....  The 2 doors in that rectangular room are NEVER connected to another tile....  This is ALWAYS a dead end.....   seams like a bug...

I forgot I started typing thoughts on the reimagined Spy Vaults then forgot to finish them.

As other people have said some of the old vent shortcuts are just blocked off permanently past a certain point, and it doesn't seem to have made these vaults harder, just less interesting, barreling through the vents is fun. I feel it would be better to leave them randomly open and shove in the laser vent grid from the Vallis spy sections at higher levels, or even put one of the smaller observation drones running through them.

That said it only seems to be maybe half of the vaults shortcuts that were affected, the others are fine. The vault where with the impenetrable laser floor that you just turned off immediately is definitely improved, as you can now leave the laser floor enabled and snake around onto the raised platform. It's more SPICY (and the shut off panel still exist in a more logical place for those who can not handle the mild spice)

Solaris Prisoners........

These guys should be worth 1k standing...for VOX SOLARIS (not SU).  The ones strung up around the ships and the ones in the voids.   This would make me much more inclined to save them.  It would be nice if the guys in the voids were worth even more like 2-5k standing  because I would legit use this as a way to farm standing with Vox but dont wanna ran 7-10 missions per day lol.   3-4 Max.  

You could also include Ostron prisoners that count towards Quill standing........

I just want to mention something positive in general with the last Tilesets Updates.

Ofc they look awesome (both the new Corpus-ships and Gas-City before), thats obvious 😄

But regarding gameplay, it seems movement has influenced the design alot.

Everything is pleasantly wide that we can make good use of the parcour system.

If possible future Tileset Remasters have the same focus, they will be good additions to the game aswell.

Archived