Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

MR9 rework should be top priority

Crusher4881

The game would probably have twice the population it does now if they would just scrap the MR9 test completely and replace it with something that doesn't require 10 attempts and/or obscure cheese strategies to complete. A spy vault challenge would be a much fairer mastery rank test here, but the devs' complete ignorance of the new player experience means that they're leaving this in the game and completely ignoring it, causing 50% of their potential playerbase to hit the brick wall and leave.

Apparently the devs feel content with letting the game suffer and rot because of this though. They've failed to even acknowledge that stealth mechanics in this test do not fit with how stealth works in the rest of the game (namely, they disable abilities even though normal stealth gameplay is based around stealth abilities), and it's causing the game to suffer.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)CrazyBeaTzu said:

No, it shouldn't. 

Making every game completely accessible to the worst players that can't figure anything out is a terrible idea. 

Every tool is there, learn how to use them.

It's harder than any test I can remember from 20 up.  That's not right.

It can still be challenging, of course, but it is undeniably a brick wall for many players.  

14 minutes ago, (PS4)CrazyBeaTzu said:

No, it shouldn't. 

Making every game completely accessible to the worst players that can't figure anything out is a terrible idea. 

Every tool is there, learn how to use them.

So why don't we make every MR test absurdly hard to burn the new players out at the start, rather than waiting until they've been playing for a while to throw a brick wall in their face. Also, difficulty may be appropriate for endgame content, but it's not appropriate to use it as a mandatory gatekeeper that locks players out of high-level weapons. Especially when people apparently want to lock kuva lich weapons behind high-MR to spite those people stuck at MR8.

I think saying 50% of the potential player base can’t get through that test is a little stretch. Just practice a few times until you learn the pattern, pretty sure there’s no time limit so no need to try and rush through it. If you go slow it’s not that bad. I will agree at this point the way the game is, it’s sort of an out of place test to keep in there but I doubt they’ll change it. 

25 minutes ago, Crusher4881 said:

The game would probably have twice the population it does now if they would just scrap the MR9 test completely and replace it with something that doesn't require 10 attempts and/or obscure cheese strategies to complete. A spy vault challenge would be a much fairer mastery rank test here, but the devs' complete ignorance of the new player experience means that they're leaving this in the game and completely ignoring it, causing 50% of their potential playerbase to hit the brick wall and leave.

Apparently the devs feel content with letting the game suffer and rot because of this though. They've failed to even acknowledge that stealth mechanics in this test do not fit with how stealth works in the rest of the game (namely, they disable abilities even though normal stealth gameplay is based around stealth abilities), and it's causing the game to suffer.

Mr 9 test is easy actually. It’s a puzzle and you need to follow a pattern to do it correctly. To make things easy on you. I would watch a YouTube video on it. 

Let’s not forget the mr19 as well lol that supposedly the hardest in the game. But you could probably cheese it with wisp or ivra 

Players are able to practice at the relay, and there are walkthroughs on youtube (I followed the one posted by coldfridge) for extra help...Once you figure out the sequence, its not hard anymore. (also, don't rush!) and very satisfying when you get through it in the end 😄 Sometimes I do that mr9 practice just for fun 😛 its like a side stealth challenge even if I've already passed the actual test

Okay saw this thread and was curious what is the MR 9 even is as I didn't remember. So I went over to simaris a dove right into the test. 

Oh it's the stealth test, alot different from what i remember. Melee only, no abilities okay. Rush to stealth kill the guy in the left and got spotted and failed, well i did rush like an ido- 2 attempts left. Oh, OH that's extremely forgiving most test give one shot at it. So I just laid back for few seconds let the enemies run through their path and kill. Also they're LV 1 so don't even need to risk the stealth kill animation. And bullet jump let's you close the distance in a instance.

This test is simple and no where near the nightmare of later test 

While it's easy for a seasoned player, and I believe these tests should really be true tests that require skill and knowledge, the fact that MR9 and MR19 stand out so blatantly from the rest confuses me.

There's a lot to it, really, but the bottom line is either bring all tests to MR9's level (while reworking stealth as a mechanic at the same time), or decrease the likes of MR9 to be as easy or easier than the tests it precedes.

I'm aware that more than true tests DE just uses them as an excuse to drop the latest flashy mechanic in them (like the late MR20's tests tend to be operator-based), but I hope they fix that by the time we hit MR30. After that milestone is finally reached I'd just rework tests from 1-30 as a whole and change them in an actual ladder of skill that tests players in several mechanics of the game and truly helps said players grow.

But I doubt that'll happen, still.

6 minutes ago, (NSW)JJA209 said:

Let’s not forget the mr19 as well lol that supposedly the hardest in the game. But you could probably cheese it with wisp or ivra 

Can't use WF powers during those tests.  The passives do still work if I remember correctly.  

cough cough skiajati gg ( for those who dont know it has a passive that makes u invis after a stealth kill) its also an easy weapon to get cus its from the sacrifice a quest u can do way before mr 9 especially if u have a buddy to help u out 

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

While it's easy for a seasoned player, and I believe these tests should really be true tests that require skill and knowledge, the fact that MR9 and MR19 stand out so blatantly from the rest confuses me.

There's a lot to it, really, but the bottom line is either bring all tests to MR9's level (while reworking stealth as a mechanic at the same time), or decrease the likes of MR9 to be as easy or easier than the tests it precedes.

I'm aware that more than true tests DE just uses them as an excuse to drop the latest flashy mechanic in them (like the late MR20's tests tend to be operator-based), but I hope they fix that by the time we hit MR30. After that milestone is finally reached I'd just rework tests from 1-30 as a whole and change them in an actual ladder of skill that tests players in several mechanics of the game and truly helps said players grow.

But I doubt that'll happen, still.

The fundamental issue with mastery rank tests is that they're skill gates that have 99% of the game gated behind them. If a player's not good enough to do, say, grendel missions, then they lose access to a single warframe, but a player that's not "good enough" (for some stupid metric of "good" that ignores stuff like warframe builds by negating the warframes that would normally be used for stealth) to do the MR9 test it unable to access any prime weapons. Kuva weapons mitigate that for now, but for some reason everyone's complaining about MR8 bramma users to take away some of the only weapons that stuck players can actually use.

And, unlike with the grendel missions, it's designed specifically to be impossible to help clanmates with. Clan members can't help each other beat the test in any way, and an arbitrary 24 hour delay between attempts prevents players from grinding it until they get lucky like they can with any other hard mission. The only good news is that bunny-hop wisp can cheese it, but if you need an endgame warframe just to access even mid-game weapons, there's a problem.

the Stealth test, 8->9?

it's preparing you for things you'll be tested on later into the game(like the 18->19 Test). you don't have to always be running forwards, taking in the situation before taking action is a longstanding strategy in every doctrine.

13 minutes ago, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

sure, numerous of the Mastery Tests don't really test anything of the Player, when they really should.

1 minute ago, Ifeanoiba said:

cough cough skiajati gg ( for those who dont know it has a passive that makes u invis after a stealth kill) its also an easy weapon to get cus its from the sacrifice a quest u can do way before mr 9 especially if u have a buddy to help u out 

I've tried skiajati a few times before getting wisp, and every time it randomly didn't give me a stealth kill at some point to lead to a mission failure.

4 minutes ago, Crusher4881 said:

The fundamental issue with mastery rank tests is that they're skill gates that have 99% of the game gated behind them. If a player's not good enough to do, say, grendel missions, then they lose access to a single warframe, but a player that's not "good enough" (for some stupid metric of "good" that ignores stuff like warframe builds by negating the warframes that would normally be used for stealth) to do the MR9 test it unable to access any prime weapons. Kuva weapons mitigate that for now, but for some reason everyone's complaining about MR8 bramma users to take away some of the only weapons that stuck players can actually use.

And, unlike with the grendel missions, it's designed specifically to be impossible to help clanmates with. Clan members can't help each other beat the test in any way, and an arbitrary 24 hour delay between attempts prevents players from grinding it until they get lucky like they can with any other hard mission. The only good news is that bunny-hop wisp can cheese it, but if you need an endgame warframe just to access even mid-game weapons, there's a problem.

Yes indeed. Which is why in my opinion MR tests from 1 to [whatever is the highest MR for a piece of gear at any given time] (in this case MR16) should not feature mechanics that are too complex or can restrict a portion of the playerbase. After that sure by me, have the MR tests feature more specific stuff like the kind of stealth MR9 requires, or archwing, operator, and so on.

I'd likely even do all tests again just to try out the new MR progression for myself.

4 minutes ago, taiiat said:

sure, numerous of the Mastery Tests don't really test anything of the Player, when they really should.

That indeed.

When i first did it the ai where dum as hell and i did it on the first go. Without cheesing.

But de messed with the ai and they act super buggy now. So when i did it on my pc account i had to practice it and find a way to cheese it.

Mr 19 is probably going to be awful.

The ai are just way too hyper aware now.

52 minutes ago, Crusher4881 said:

that doesn't require 10 attempts and/or obscure cheese strategies to complete.

53 minutes ago, Crusher4881 said:

causing 50% of their potential playerbase to hit the brick wall and leave

I'd like to see the source of those numbers.

Heck, I, and thousands if not millions of others made it past this test. If you struggle so hard with it, I'm afraid that this is a classic case of "git gud".

1 minute ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

Mr 19 is probsbly going to be awful.

I'm on MR20 and it's been a good while since I did the MR19 test, but I'm farily certain that is was pretty easy.

MR 9 and 19 test seems to have higher difficulty than the rest due to an AI bug that allows them to have super human senses that forces players to cheese it. Those tests should either be swapped or reworked to make it slightly more forgiving.

7 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

I'm on MR20 and it's been a good while since I did the MR19 test, but I'm farily certain that is was pretty easy.

With the ai buggy and overly aware in mr9 now i assume the tactic of using banshee and a gunblade to snipe the ai will no longer work. As thats the only way i did mr19 before.

But on my pc account when i have to do it again. I doubt that tactic will work.

I had to hide behind walls and the like pershot presently and they would sometimes see me through walls.

First time i did mr9 i cleared it in one go without cheesing. But that was before de busted the ai.

Archived