Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Jackal 2.0 a great start for the next generation

Felsagger

4 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Consider: there are things that the devs can do to make it more likely that people will consider the experience its own reward.

For example, if Undertale didn't have those little details where examination text changes based on who's in the room, or calling Papyrus, or Judgement dialogue changing depending on your level, or the 90-odd Neutral endings.

Likewise, in action games, the journey itself can be made more meaningful if the player chooses their own path, their own playstyle. Warframe has a pretty substantial problem with that.

Completely agree. The experience of the game is improving with the boss encounters. I hope the trend continues towards other bosses. Exploiter Orb and Profit Taker could have a good revision and model update. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

What time gates did old Jackal have?

Well if you wanna split hairs, it does have a few seconds of invulnerability once it recovers from being damaged.
Also agree Alad V boss fight is fairly good, but as usual the lack of direction or explanation makes it frustrating at first.

Edited by (XB1)TheWayOfWisdom
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, (XB1)TheWayOfWisdom said:

Well if you wanna split hairs, it does have a few seconds of invulnerability once it recovers from being damaged.
Also agree Alad V boss fight is fairly good, but as usual the lack of direction or explanation makes it frustrating at first.

True, Alad V has a fair pace but there are time gates of vulnerability since the damage system was updated by that time. Some bosses where one shot'ed making the encounter a dispute of few seconds. Many of these encounters where trivialized that way. 

Better boss interaction leaves a lot of positive things to be desired. A new tile set and a better understanding of what are the Corpus provides a good introduction for the third phase of Rail Jack. It's an intermezzo. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, (XB1)TheWayOfWisdom said:

Yeah that would really be splitting hairs, several times over into tiny atoms. It's funny when someone complains about that short window and then goes "new Jackal is much better!" when it is a fight consisting of 20+ seconds of invulnerability time gating and not much else. Now I understand if the person is refering to the mutalist versions, but even there you can stack up your damage for the kill during that phase, kinda like on Krill.

I'm all ok with lack of explaination, but I'm used to it from MMOs and other action rpgs. Krill and Sargas have been the two bosses I looked up when I started out since the visual indicator on Krill is barely there and on Sargas it isnt really a dead givaway either, especially on lower levels when you couldnt just stand there and face tank. The rest have been pretty straight forward, Alad V took some time to get the hang off, but I liked the mechanic sync between him and his precious zanuka. It was one of those bosses where I went "oh it works like that!" when I figured it out.

The quoted post was wrongly interpreted and misconstrued. 

"The match took just few seconds because someone one shot him. After that we had the annoying time gates of invulnerability. Right now the boss is way better than the previous versions. "

Reviewing: The post describes the insertion of a strategy that impedes one shot on enemy bosses. The small time gate IS annoying because damage is interrupted by a tiny window of invulnerability. It was the beginning of a strategy. 

The new Jackal is the old jackal except with time gates to slow it down while you bunny hop up the wall to avoid the lasers, and a parazon added so that those new players who haven't gone on youtube to figure out you need to parazon first can fail their first jackal fight and be frustrated with the game and want to quit. 

17 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

The new Jackal is the old jackal except with time gates to slow it down while you bunny hop up the wall to avoid the lasers, and a parazon added so that those new players who haven't gone on youtube to figure out you need to parazon first can fail their first jackal fight and be frustrated with the game and want to quit. 

Is a more complete experience. 

Time gates are filled with an animation or a triggered scripted event. The concept of time gate is used here as a window of attack while the player tries to dodge the numb windmill of walled beams.