Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is The Sergeant going to be erased?

Zahnny

For the longest time, the Corpus has existed as possibly one of the least understood factions in Warframe, we understand their hiearchy, we understand their cult/religion and we know all about their proxies. But we don't know much about those behind the scenes. According to the Wiki and some infomation I remember,  there are roughly Six characters strongly tied to the Corpus who are human (or at least not a proxy) that I can remember.
Quick recap in the spoiler. I make mention of the Deadlock Quest so be aware of that also in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Darvo (Upcoming Board member who refused.) [Allied]

Frohd Bek (Father of Darvo, member of the Corpus Board of Directors) [Fate Unknown]

Alad V (Former Board member, Inventor of the Amalgams, amongst many other things) [Current Motives and Affiliations unclear]

Parvos Granum (Founder of the Corpus) [Fate and Motives unclear]

Nef Anyo (Board member, The Prophet of Profit, Alleged heir to Pavros) [Active]

The Sergeant (In charge of Corpus Solar Rail Systems, makes a profit selling Warframe Cryopods) [Active]

The Sergeant is one of the oldest "bosses" in Warframe that still requires a rework, both him and Lech Kril are in need in my opinion. (Captain Vor too but at least he has his own voice actor and characterization)

However, there is also a potential issue with reworking The Sergeant, maybe even a large issue. Prior to Update 16.4, The Sergeant and Nef Anyo weren't seperate entities, they were in fact the same person. "Sergeant Nef Anyo" but they eventually became split, into the Nef Anyo we know today, and the laughable "boss" of The Sergeant.

The reason there are issues to reworking The Sergeant stems from him being part of Nef Anyo in a sense. DE have shown years ago that they had stuff in the works for a Nef Anyo boss battle, but there's been no new info that I've been aware of since then. I bring this up because I think The Sergeant only exists to be a placeholder until they implement Nef Anyo's boss battle, at which point The Sergeant will cease to exist in Warframe as an entity, and I think that'd be a real shame. The Corpus need more actual "people" as bosses and antagonists so why not start with what we already have? I can imagine The Sergeant being much less economic focused than the rest of his Corpus peers, maybe even Directors if he is to be chosen as one. Focusing entirely on the Militaristic side of the Corpus.

I really had to resist myself putting "Thanos Snapped" or "Pavros Snapped" in the title.

• Like 3

I hope sergeant stays as he is forever in terms of being a meme boss. If he ever get reworked I'd rather have him hide during the battle while talking trash just to be one-shot when his time comes. If he gets removed I'll be sad and will complain on Twitter.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zahnny said:
Spoiler

Parvos Granum (Founder of the Corpus) [Alive and Motives unclear]

We know he's alive because he sends us message after the quest completes. From that message we do know a little about what he aims to do: Reform the Corpus. We can also know that he's alive because we are told that Protea reversed time and we experienced a fight that never happened. But I guess we wouldn't know that he escaped Granum Void without the Inbox message.

See modification and note in Spoiler.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Deeceem said:

I hope sergeant stays as he is forever in terms of being a meme boss. If he ever get reworked I'd rather have him hide during the battle while talking trash just to be one-shot when his time comes. If he gets removed I'll be sad and will complain on Twitter.

I've talked to people before about the idea of him having a decoy similar to the Juggernaut Benemoth with Jordas, you kill a much easier boss, only for the real Sergeant to appear.

2 minutes ago, nslay said:

See modification and note in Spoiler.

I see. For some reason his Inbox arrived earlier than it had meant to when I played, so I assumed that message was him trash talking before we completed it.

Edited by Zahnny
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, (PS4)Deeceem said:

I want The Sergeant to be a complete boss, except for the fact he doesn't have a "final phase". Instead when you get him down to his final health bar, he just says "screw this" and makes a break for it. That's when an obstacle course race begins and you have to race against The Sergeant to sabotage his ship escape before he can get on it in time. It would be a nice deviation from the usual partial-phase bosses and act as more comedic relief to the character.

Speaking of which, if they do decide to revamp him a bit in terms of character, I hope he becomes an actual drill sergeant to the Crewman. I could just imagine peering into a giant gymnastic/training room where a bunch of Corpus are exercising and he just spouts nonsense on a screen like "Giving up is death. I'd imagine all of you have aspirations and goals you still haven't met, right? It'd be a shame if you never met them, and just look like a complete failure to the Board... Now, look at me in the general direction of my eyes. Do you want to give up?" or whatever. There's definitely potential for him.

• Like 4

The lore implications are not the reason for there not being a rework, 

DE does not care about consistency. 

I would assume they haven't changed that cause nobody cares about it. 

You also forgot about the perrin sequence as an offshoot of the corpus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zahnny said:

I bring this up because I think The Sergeant only exists to be a placeholder until they implement Nef Anyo's boss battle, at which point The Sergeant will cease to exist in Warframe as an entity, and I think that'd be a real shame. The Corpus need more actual "people" as bosses and antagonists so why not start with what we already have? I can imagine The Sergeant being much less economic focused than the rest of his Corpus peers, maybe even Directors if he is to be chosen as one. Focusing entirely on the Militaristic side of the Corpus.

DE are not afraid to just retcon out old ideas they just wish to replace. The Sarge would not be unique in this sense, he would just be the most notable:

• Kela De Thaym used to have a completely different identity and (implied) personality, being more formal, and her armor was explicitly stated to be a modified Bombard instead of a Tyl Regor styled acrobatic cyborg. About the only thing that's left of Old Kela is the boss's fascination with Rollers
  • There used to be a Corpus bigshot called Arn Etina. Arn was replaced with Ambulas, and Arn's model was reused for Darvo, who is very much not friendly to the Corpus
  • Hyenas used to be blue Jackals, scaled down by about 25%. Officially these have been reworked into the Lynx, but there are actual several differences between old Hyenas and Lynx
  • For that matter, the ENTIRE Corpus Ship tileset is gone forever, with only fragments remaining in the form of Pluto, Eris, and Europa

The good news is that under the original plans for replacing Sarge with Nef Anyo, they were still going to keep around a regular guy to add some more character to the battle: a nephew called Derf Anyo. It's up in the air whether he's still canon (his design was reused for the Scrambus) but I take it as an indication DE were planning to add, rather than subtract

• Like 3

Ah man this takes me back... I remember DE teasing a Nef Anyo boss fight to replace the Sergeant. 

Then like... several years and umpty billion other boss reworks since and still nothing. 

And the poor sergeant is stuck in purgatory getting the stuffing kicked out of him by tenno over and over again. 

Please DE finish that Nef Anyo boss fight so we can let the Sergeant rest -- he has suffered enough at our hands. 

Edited by Tesseract7777
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, (XB1)TyeGoo said:

No, he doesn't require a rework, out of nostalgia he should be put on an early planet and be kept as a boss. IMO

They could buff him and make him an elite enemy that shows up occasionally in higher waves of endless missions or something. 

Cause like, without a lot of buffs and a full rework of his own to make him a unique boss, he wouldn't even be challenging to the newest players as even a low level planet boss. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

If they rework him we'll have to go back to killing Phorid for Nightwave 

For those of you with serious allergic reactions to even the slightest moment of invincibility, Alad V is also a viable alternative. You can one-shot Alad then Zanuka, and neither of them have a second phase to stop you

• Like 1

The Sarge is pretty much just a placeholder as of press time - though his sort of role is an interesting one. A lowly crewman ascending to such a rank? It feels like a little story could be done with him - assuming he's not replaced by something else in due time. I honestly wouldn't mind either outcome: whatever ends up managing the Corpus solar rails with these new ships is bound to be interesting. (Imagine: CEPHALON BOSS). 

If he does get retconned, I do hope they at least remark on him somewhere in a subtle way. Would be kind of fun to have the guy who tips us off to the new boss's weakness be the Sarge - very upset about getting so easily replaced.

39 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

For those of you with serious allergic reactions to even the slightest moment of invincibility, Alad V is also a viable alternative. You can one-shot Alad then Zanuka, and neither of them have a second phase to stop you

I'm well aware lol. Apparently you were born without a sense of humour, my condolences. You can also 1 shot Mutalist Alad V and Sargus Ruuk if you feel like it.

Edited by -CdG-Zilchy

1 hour ago, TARINunit9 said:

Arn's model was reused for Darvo,

Not quite. Arn didn't actually have a model, as all Boss portraits were 2D art back then and the boss fight was still against a modified MOA.