Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solo Is Not An Option. Kinda.

skullbox99

Not unless you want to painfully stride through a level. Yeah sometimes it can be fun solo, but then again, half the time you will be sitting there regenerating your shield. Or finding a place to regenerate your shield. Don't even thing about soloing a boss level if you haven't uber-prepared; I just spent 2 hours on Vor and lost anyways because I didnt have any ammo. Extremely annoying... I know this game is centered around multiplayer, but honestly, I would like to play solo too. Maybe just more ammo or something? No matter how many times I see, "Oh, it can still be played solo. Just don't queue up with anyone!" I think it's still obvious that this isn't exactly a solo game. =( and because i got bored this sentence is comepletely useless.

Vor is hard solo if you have just started, but as you level up and mod things get much easier.

Jump into online mode and join randoms for the few missions you need to play with others, like bosses.  Get a rhino frame when you can.  Or join a clan and play with others by choice.

Warframe is well known by the community and Digital Extremes to tell new players basically nothing about the game and just throws them into the fray.

what people mean, is that once you've collected some equipment and experience with Warframe, you can solo the game. 

but you can't just do it. Warframe is a very unforgiving game in that aspect since there's no real tutorial to teach you so many of the important aspects of the game that you basically can't guess without instruction. 

hopefully this will be remedied in the near future. but don't worry, it's not your fault. 

I have been a solo-er for my entire time spent playing Warframe.

It is tough, without a min-max combination of mods or unpotatoed, unforma'd gear, your options are very limited.

Besides what taiiat said, you also lack raw killing power as a solo-er until you get max ranked mods, potatoes, and forma. And yes, using an armor ignore weapon counts for a lot.

Edit: I don't like to play in groups because I can only control my own actions, and do not wish to deal with trolls, random people screaming over voice chat etc. And yes, we do need scaling.

Edited by Destro6677

Unfortunatly thats the crux of it.  Warframe currently isnt newbie friendly.  It really only teaches you the very basics thats common to many games, not the things unique to warframe.  Bosses tend to be the worst bit because while they are starting to get more varied AI, they are still very much just damage soaks.

The bigest factor is there really is little scalling whether you play solo or in a 4 player group, the enemeis are similar in numbers and bosses can take much the same damage.

In general though I've found the game to be a good level of challenge for two players, solo is much like a 'hard' mode (depending on warframe of course), while 3-4 players can make the game quite easy (sometimes even too easy).

• Solo - Players are able to start the mission at any time. In this mode no other players may join the session. If the player enters the options screen the game will become paused, unlike all other game modes. Some enemies are also disabled in this mode

I know this isnt enough, but be sure to put it on the Solo mode instead of Private. Disabling some enemies (In this case i think it means heavier ones, like rocket launch grineers, ancient distruptors, fusion moas, etc) This will help somewhat :) 

• Solo - Players are able to start the mission at any time. In this mode no other players may join the session. If the player enters the options screen the game will become paused, unlike all other game modes. Some enemies are also disabled in this mode

I know this isnt enough, but be sure to put it on the Solo mode instead of Private. Disabling some enemies (In this case i think it means heavier ones, like rocket launch grineers, ancient distruptors, fusion moas, etc) This will help somewhat :) 

Well for me it enables them , got a nice 1020sp 680hp Rhino and is like a cake walk before levels 30 "with no uber weapons" however for lvl 55+ I use my artillery (Gorgon) >:3 still not enough for the heavy ones... and the high damage ones

Not unless you want to painfully stride through a level. Yeah sometimes it can be fun solo, but then again, half the time you will be sitting there regenerating your shield. Or finding a place to regenerate your shield. Don't even thing about soloing a boss level if you haven't uber-prepared; I just spent 2 hours on Vor and lost anyways because I didnt have any ammo. Extremely annoying... I know this game is centered around multiplayer, but honestly, I would like to play solo too. Maybe just more ammo or something? No matter how many times I see, "Oh, it can still be played solo. Just don't queue up with anyone!" I think it's still obvious that this isn't exactly a solo game. =( and because i got bored this sentence is comepletely useless.

Spend some time in multiplayer farming the mods you need. For the complaints you listed:

- Shield regen (two mods)

- Ammo Mutation, maximum ammo

- At this point, your ranged weapons will always need armor penetration mods with very very few exceptions.

Potato'ed weapons and frames are extremely helpful to say the least.

Find a good solo'ing frame that you enjoy. Some are much better than others.

I solo all the time, sometimes it's a challenge, but other times it's a walk in the park. The more mods you collect the easier it becomes.

I gotta say this game really needs scaling...

I think I have an idea of how to scale everything although this is REALLY dumbed down to what the programming would be. have a base power for enemies (lets say difficulty 100) now take into account level of player, that conclave rating which can help, and other stats as well as a possible difficulty choice (easy, medium, hard that type of stuff) and then set the difficulty so that the game can then use an algorithm to convert the difficulty number (all theoretical numbers for now) to determine how hard the enemies should be.

EXAMPLE (All numbers are theoretical and based off of the 100 difficulty scale stated in my idea):

(say the map says lv 22-22 and the player is lv 30 then you add +x per lv, lets say 10 for now so +70. then say his/her rating on conclave is 410 then add +5 per 100 conclave and round out so +20. skipping any other stats now say the player says he/she wants it to be easy then it is cut down by 1/4. now say all of a sudden he gets a friend in. now you would get his number randomly saying, all stats considered, he adds 105 to the difficulty scale. (100+70+20+105)/4=216.25.     now take that number and round it out to around 2.1x the normal difficulty which can be equated to whatever the designers feel would be fair. now that is to ease levels and of course there could be a button to turn off this algorithm. now say you go on a hard level beyond the maximum level of a character and are soloing. say the lv says lv 44-44. that means -140. and to make it easier the player picked normal difficulty to keep the division and multiplication on a 1:1 scale. now his conclave rating is 500 adding +25. taking a random stat lets say his gun levels are all 30 (and no real super attachments or upgrades) each 10 levels on his guns can add 5. +45. 100-140+25+45=30 or .3X difficulty. now the difficulty is much lower on something that would have probably been insanely hard if he just jumped in without scaling. if he wanted it hard he could just click hard, add a X3 multiplier from that and now it is 90 or 0.9X the regular level for anyone that meets level 44.)

Now these numbers are theoretical, broken to what would need to be implemented to be fair, and are very dumbed down to the actual programming specifications which make this jumble of near gibberish look like everybody poops to a theoretical physicist. this is not the actual scaling process or scheme but the though of how it could be done but it would need much better numbers as I have stated so many times.

Edited by some_random_guy_1

I don't think the enemy disabling part is true. I'm pretty sure I've run into every enemy type while soloing.

I don't think the enemy disabling part is true. I'm pretty sure I've run into every enemy type while soloing.

I ran a bunch of low level nightmare mods.  Venus/earth/mars/jupiter/saturn running a few on Private then a few on Solo.  I did the same thing with defense, Io, a few Private and a few Solo.  There does seem to be a difference with numbers of spawns and number of "elites".  Like in defense I don't recall but I don't think I ever went past 10 minutes, you only even got Ancient Healers in Solo, but in Private you could get Toxics and Disruptors Wave 6 and beyond.

Then there is another jump if you have a second person. 

Weird thing about this game and what scaling there is.  It is pretty easy even with weak weapons early on, except for defense and bosses.  Then there is a little bit of challenge time while you maybe have level 30 weapons and frames but not enough mods to really have maxed out builds, S#&$ my melee weapons still have 3 or so mod points left potato'd no-forma.  THEN a jump after farming some mods and everything just melts in front of you as you laugh off the incoming damage. 

Its pretty hard to scale the game when the power on the players side goes in such drastic jumps.

Join a group to kill Vor first time to open up Venus. Join groups to do Defence and Survival missions as both tend to drop lots of mods and materials. Build yourself a Boltor and a pair of Boltos since these ignore armour (armour ignore is a very important trait on weapons ATM).

• 3 weeks later...

Join a group to kill Vor first time to open up Venus. Join groups to do Defence and Survival missions as both tend to drop lots of mods and materials.

That is the problem though. 1: some people can't handle multiplayer (always becoming host with a bad internet connection, or in cases like mine a bad computer, being stuck with a bad host, not being a people person, the list goes on) 2: This game supports an unbalanced solo, this is unfair to say the least to those in category 1 and if you are going to put something in the game then MAKE IT WORK. don't just go and shove in a half balanced, broken system. If you can't solo then why have the option. Its like giving someone frozen yogurt but they have to drink it, It is frozen yogurt and you are forcing us to do the impossible with it. What should happen is that the yogurt should be eaten with a spoon just as the solo should be played with fair, able to be soloed enemies, not things that you need to be forced to interact with just to play the way you want to. solo to multiplayer is a one way street. you can reward multiplayers for working in singleplayer, but don't force people to interact or insult their bad internet with not just optional, but FORCED multiplayer interacting. (unless you're one of those grinding nuts who can sit on starting lvs for 6 hours at a time to get insane stuff.)

Edited by some_random_guy_1

The issue about Solo is that it isn't built for the way the game scales, right now, it's not really there to serve as a way for people to play the game, rather, it's more like a hard mode for the people who have spent a lot of time on the game, and want to test their gear. Solo in this game is not newb friendly, and the thing is, as much as I don't want the difficulty to go down since I do enjoy it, but when it comes down to it, I have basically all mods in the game maxed except these Rare 10 corrupted mods, but for people who are new to the game, or just playing it in Solo, they are not going to enjoy the game as much, so even though I like solo how it is right now, I think it should be toned down for people not as experienced. Or at least have some for of scaling according to gear. A potatoed lvl 30 Rhino with a 5 times Forma'd Flux or Soma, 5 Times Forma'd Acrid, 3 Times Forma'd Ichors, with max mods and potatoes vs a new player with a lvl 10 Excalibur with a Braton, Lato and Skana with barely any mods, yea... there is going to be a difference.

I find soloing to be fun. Even as a beginner, playing solo was my bread and butter, but I did start back in about May or so when all the new weapons weren't out, and the Gorgon was the top of it's class.

Even now, 90% of my combat record is solo play and I've got nearly 100 formas added to all my weapons.

I feel there is a fair enough scaling for solo play; the enemy spawns are slightly lower, the defence missions throw just enough enemies to remain comfortable, I don't see a problem with solo play at all; I can even prove it's not too hard.

There's a noticeable decrease in enemy spawns when running by yourself compared to running in a party, even when you have it set to just Private.

Honestly, I would prefer the number of enemies not being dependent on number of players because my sense of fun is sadistic torture to everyone else, but there IS something in place that helps solo players, it may just not seem like much.

i can solo every boss in the game with every warframe in the game, and with every gun in the game, as long as they are ranked up enough for the boss, if you just started playing you need to get some better weapons before sending youslf to bosses

Having played PSO back in the day, that addressed the issue very simply.

If you were in a single player mode enemies were weaker and fewer, as soon as you went into any multiplayer mode the number and difficulty of enemies went up.

Perhaps it could be configured so that choosing SOLO reduces spawns / difficulty, while choosing any other option increases the spawn rate according to player numbers, but with a higher base.

At the very least it would make solo more viable, in particular for defence missions which can be problematic to run solo in some cases.

Correct. I believe the enemy that is supposed to be disabled in solo is the Nervo, since you wouldn't have anyone to free you, but other than that I have encountered every single enemy in solo.

Well for me it enables them , got a nice 1020sp 680hp Rhino and is like a cake walk before levels 30 "with no uber weapons" however for lvl 55+ I use my artillery (Gorgon) >:3 still not enough for the heavy ones... and the high damage ones

Rhino hits a iron wall (punpun!) when you start fighting 75+ mobs. At that point Iron Skin is less and less effective. To the point of when fighting 90+, its not even worth slotting because it goes down so quick. Id invest in a Ash if you plan to solo high levels.

Also, for the OP.

Ammo clips saved me solo in the start. Now that they took them out you are gonna have to use team ammo regens, and it sucks.

Also, getting a Rhino asap is a good idea, but he wont last and you can develope some bad play habits maining him. Eventually you will be forced to move into Ash or Loki for the 90+ mob levels. Solo is the greatest challenge this game can offer.

Edited by WARLOCKE