Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Advice Needed

HoopleDoople

Question

I've been trying to determine the optimal Soma build (for me) to use. Assume all mods are max rank (unless I specify otherwise) and can fit. Here's what I have so far:

1) Serration

2) Split Chamber

3) Point Strike

4) Vital Sense

5) Piercing Hit

6) Cryo Rounds

In addition to these mods I frequently use Rifle Ammo Mutation, only pulling it for shorter missions. With this in mind, I would like to know which one mod and which two mods I can add to my build to maximize DPS. I unfortunately do not possess sufficient knowledge of game mechanics to calculate it myself. As far as I can tell the contenders are as follows (with notes and questions):

Hammershot - extra critical hit damage is always good

Hellfire/Stormbringer - would be swapped back and forth when used with ammo mutator, both could potentially be used without it

Speed Trigger - faster fire rate, but how much does ammo efficiency suffer?

Heavy Caliber - a mod I still lack. This would not necessarily be used at max rank. The max damage is crazy high, but is there a rank at which the damage is worthwhile yet the recoil is still manageable?

Critical Delay - extra critical hit chance. Does crit chance past 100% even help?

So which one/two of these mods would give me the best DPS? Is there a choice that is superior despite lower DPS? If my list is missing a better mod let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by HoopleDoople

12 answers to this question

I've been trying to determine the optimal Soma build (for me) to use. Assume all mods are max rank (unless I specify otherwise) and can fit. Here's what I have so far:

1) Serration

2) Split Chamber

3) Point Strike

4) Vital Sense

5) Piercing Hit

6) Cryo Rounds

In addition to these mods I frequently use Rifle Ammo Mutation, only pulling it for shorter missions. With this in mind, I would like to know which one mod and which two mods I can add to my build to maximize DPS. I unfortunately do not possess sufficient knowledge of game mechanics to calculate it myself. As far as I can tell the contenders are as follows (with notes and questions):

Hellfire/Stormbringer - would be swapped back and forth when used with ammo mutator, both could potentially be used without it

Heavy Caliber - a mod I still lack. This would not necessarily be used at max rank. The max damage is crazy high, but is there a rank at which the damage is worthwhile yet the recoil is still manageable?

Critical Delay - extra critical hit chance. Does crit chance past 100% even help?

So which one/two of these mods would give me the best DPS? Is there a choice that is superior despite lower DPS? If my list is missing a better mod let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

My build is similar, except I prioritized hammershot and heavy caliber over piercing hit and cryo rounds. The mods that I put on after those depend on the faction.

My build is similar, except I prioritized hammershot and heavy caliber over piercing hit and cryo rounds. The mods that I put on after those depend on the faction.

Two questions for you:

1) What rank Heavy Caliber are you using and how bad is the extra recoil?

2) How does Soma fair against high level enemies without Piercing Hit? I was under the impression armor piercing damage was practically mandatory on weapons without armor ignore (and still fantastic on those with).

1) Serration

2) Split Chamber

3) Point Strike

4) Vital Sense

5) Piercing Hit

6) Cryo Rounds

Hammer Shot is a must, as it brings critical damage from 660% to 840%.

The electrical and fire elemental mods should all be dropped out because enemy armor scaling can easily resist such damage.

Speed Trigger isn't needed, but Shred is appreciated. The Soma fires fast enough, so having a lower fire rate boost for more puncture seems to be a fair upgrade.

Heavy Caliber increases recoil, and the Soma's recoil can get incredibly high unless tapping or bursting. Still, I can't deny the damage. 

Critical Delay is one of those mods that gimps every weapon (in this case, rifles) in the game. Don't even bother considering it, especially since you're only gaining a 16.8% critical chance for a -36% reduction in fire rate.

Drop out Cryo Rounds, and use this build:

1) Serration

2) Split Chamber

3) Point Strike

4) Vital Sense

5) Hammer Shot

6) Piercing Hit

7) Heavy Caliber/Shred

8) Rifle Ammo Mutation

The rifle ammo mutation is important because the mods gives you much more rifle ammo for the Soma (the Soma is very ammo-inefficient when it can't kill enemies in a few shots).

Edited by ChaoticVice777

I've got a very similar build-base (though I believe most of the Soma build-bases are same/simillar).

I'm trying to get ahold of Hammer Shot and do a combo with Speed Trigger.

Speed Trigger for more pew pew and Hammer Shot for 660% -> 840% critical damage (when Soma already crits a lot).

Ammo consumption with maxed Speed Trigger is a noticeable problem though.

If you could polarize it to boot, then you should go with:

Point Strike / Vital Sense / Hammershot / Piercing Hit

Serration / Split Chamber / Shred / Wildfire

I wouldn't bother with Heavy Calibur unless you're using a melee-range supra, even at 50% recoil is going to become a *@##$.

The same goes for Critical Delay, it is unnecessary for Soma (87.5% critical chance is sufficiently high) and does nothing to help in terms of damage. It might provide better ammo consumption control, but the Soma is meant to spam against high level targets that soak and you can use single shot fire if you're worried about ammo conservation.

Interesting, I hadn't really thought about using Shred. Puncture certainly doesn't hurt (though it's hardly necessary) and extra fire rate is a quick way to boost DPS. I'll have to test and see how it compares to Cryo Rounds, a mod I take more for the effects than the damage. Slowing enemies is incredibly useful, and in practice provides me a moderate boost to DPS (as it is easier to maintain accuracy against slowed targets).

Shred is an amazing asset. I can't go without it because it's so darn useful. Shoot through cover, shoot through doors, shoot through dead corpses. You end up saving ammo and making kills on hidden enemies.

I have the same build as the one above, except with Shred and Bane instead of Hammershot and Mutation. Hammershot increases your overall damage by 25%, whereas bane increases it by 30%. If you do voids though, go with hammershot.

Hammershot increases your overall damage by 25%, whereas bane increases it by 30%. If you do voids though, go with hammershot.

HS increases crit damage from 6.6 to 8.4, and you crit 87.5% of the time, so it increases your damage from 157.75% to 173.5% of base, or an increase of only ~10%.

Personally I use both, and no ammo mutation.

HS increases crit damage from 6.6 to 8.4, and you crit 87.5% of the time, so it increases your damage from 157.75% to 173.5% of base, or an increase of only ~10%.

Personally I use both, and no ammo mutation.

Initially, your damage is 6.6 times .875 plus .125 for noncrits. On average, you do 5.9 times base damage.

https://www.google.com/#q=6.6*.875%2B.125

With hammershot, your crit damage is improved to 8.4, which still occurs .875 times, leaving .125 of base damage. This boosts your base dmg by 7.475.

https://www.google.com/#q=8.4*.875%2B.125

HS moves you from 5.9 to 7.475. That's a 26.7% increase. I dunno where you're getting your numbers there.

Edited by Trainer772

Initially, your damage is 6.6 times .875 plus .125 for noncrits. On average, you do 5.9 times base damage.

https://www.google.com/#q=6.6*.875%2B.125

With hammershot, your crit damage is improved to 8.4, which still occurs .875 times, leaving .125 of base damage. This boosts your base dmg by 7.475.

https://www.google.com/#q=8.4*.875%2B.125

HS moves you from 5.9 to 7.475. That's a 26.7% increase. I dunno where you're getting your numbers there.

Criticals are less vulnerable to armor scaling compared to ice, fire, and electricity, especially since AP damage in a shot is derived from both the "base" damage and critical damage stats. Additionally, Hammer Shot adds 180% critical damage, while the elemental mods only add 90% damage of the added element.