Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do you Lowpoly your tennogen model?

I've been following hydroxate's tennogen guide for awhile and have moved to the 3rd guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTm5CwM9ywwwhere I have to high poly the model. The thing is I don't know what programs to use nor how to do it since that guide wasnt helpful at all if you cant afford the program he uses. So Im asking if theres an alternative I can use so I can start the low poly rigging on my tennogen skin. Please help.

I hear people use Blender(I tried using it myself) and seems to have plent of options. I remember there is a thing you can click to make a low poly model, higher poly. I think it works in a way what seem to 'cut' all the vertecices and by that I mean you get double of what you had so you can sculpt to a better detail.

i'm not an Artist but i know that Blender can technically do basically anything, but because it can do anything and everything, there's about 65,000 different Menus/Buttons for all of it so it can be daunting to look at.

4 hours ago, weeaboopotato said:

I've been following hydroxate's tennogen guide for awhile and have moved to the 3rd guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTm5CwM9ywwwhere I have to high poly the model. The thing is I don't know what programs to use nor how to do it since that guide wasnt helpful at all if you cant afford the program he uses. So Im asking if theres an alternative I can use so I can start the low poly rigging on my tennogen skin. Please help.

Blender can reduce polygon counts using a modifier called "Decimate". But I'm not familiar with the guides you're following so I don't know if it suits your needs.

5 hours ago, weeaboopotato said:

Are you using zbrush then?

5 hours ago, Amazerath said:

Blender can reduce polygon counts using a modifier called "Decimate". But I'm not familiar with the guides you're following so I don't know if it suits your needs.

i mean low poly rigging or at least i think its called that which just means adding polygons onto a low poly model as shown by the guide vid link but I dont know how to do that

The process of creating a low poly model from a high poly one is called retopology.
Most of standard 3D modeling software such as Blender, Maya, etc... can do so, while some softwares are specifialised for that purpose and get additional tools for it (like Topogun).
Many tutorial cover the said process but to summarise, the general idea is to import your model, unable an option to clamp all your action to said model surface, and then do standard modeling around it.

Before going deep into the process, I suggest making sure you understand how geometry normal and normal maps (which are too different things) works, since your low poly geometry will depend on those and knowing exactly how they work would be really helpful to know what you should and shouln't do.

12 hours ago, weeaboopotato said:

i mean low poly rigging or at least i think its called that which just means adding polygons onto a low poly model as shown by the guide vid link but I dont know how to do that

Ok, I watched most of that video and noticed a few things that I'm not sure you did.

First of all, as far as I'm aware "rigging" means creating a bone system in order to animate a 3D model. That's probably not what you're trying to do.

Also, at 7:30 in that video the guy says that the next step can be done in Blender, but since he doesn't like the interface he uses TopoGun instead. The 'remesh' for creating lower polygon models thing seems to only be necessary if your PC is lower end and can't handle the high poly models (this is mentioned during the summary at the end of the video).

Lastly, what he's doing in TopoGun seems to involve editing the topology of the model so try looking for tutorials on that. I've never messed around with that kind of thing so I can't point you in the right direction, otherwise I would.

in blender select object >wrench icon (modifier properties) > subdivide for more polygons/ decimate for less, i suggest looking up blender specific tutorials for most of this stuff, iv never made tennogen, mostly stick to oblivion modding, but most of the stuff needed should be in most of the well known 3d modeling programs, and you would likely do the finishing touches on an engine specific file format, and that is where you would likely need to pay attention to tenogenm specific tutorials

... oh, and subdivide works better when your polygons aren't triangulated as that could lead to unnecessary poly-count and a weird configuration of polygons that may be pretty patterns but can be unappealing in the final product.

On 2020-06-16 at 11:16 PM, Amazerath said:

Ok, I watched most of that video and noticed a few things that I'm not sure you did.

First of all, as far as I'm aware "rigging" means creating a bone system in order to animate a 3D model. That's probably not what you're trying to do.

Also, at 7:30 in that video the guy says that the next step can be done in Blender, but since he doesn't like the interface he uses TopoGun instead. The 'remesh' for creating lower polygon models thing seems to only be necessary if your PC is lower end and can't handle the high poly models (this is mentioned during the summary at the end of the video).

Lastly, what he's doing in TopoGun seems to involve editing the topology of the model so try looking for tutorials on that. I've never messed around with that kind of thing so I can't point you in the right direction, otherwise I would.

oh so thats what thats called sorry my bad and thanks thats extremely helpful

• 3 weeks later...

Blender can do retopology, it's easier with a paid addon like SpeedRetopo (does what Topogun does) and even Zbrush can retopologize.

The main thing to keep in mind when doing retopo is the sort of "physics" of digital topology. No face or edge should stretch too far, and although the polycount is now high, always aim to have a low a polycount as you can while still supporting your model. Avoid N-Gons, and avoid triangles if you can but they are ok, just that quads are preferrable to triangles. Avoid attaching more than 5 edges to any vert, even 5 isn't ideal but sometimes can't be avoided. 6 or more edges attached to a vertex will generate artifacts2

The secret is to build a low polygon shell from an high polygon model because it's way faster to have and animate a low polygon model ingame (it's actually not possible to do so on an high polygon model).

PLEASE: Do not try to do it with decimation or automatic tools, that's not what they are for and you will definitely end up with a subpar low poly model. There's no shortcut, low polygon models are part of your entire model and should be treated as seriously as the actual sculpt because they are the ones that would be holding your high poly information as the end product!

Also to include in the retopology phase as a fundamental step is UV mapping 

Do what hitsusan says if you are starting. Blender may not be the best, but it does the job well enough, and it's free too. I personally use it for both retopology and uv mapping. You can also use the sketchfab 3d viewer on tennogen models on the steam workshop to see how others have split their uv's and their retopology.

Archived