Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rotation

Llyssa

I'm tired of reading the frustratingly entrenched concept of "must have" mods.

This mistaken concept has arisen because there's no incentive to change mods, and players would rather keep trudging their same boring rut than dare to ever try anything new or different.

So, let's add one.

Let's say a mod gets a "freshness" rating, that refills. Each frame has it's own freshness, but all mods of the same type share it.

When you first equip a mod, you'll get 100% of the mod's value, plus an additional, say, 20% bonus effectiveness, from the "freshness". It's newly installed, it synergizes greatly with the systems, all is well.

After each hour of play, the mod effectiveness decays by 1%. Space gunk, nanospores, dried grineer blood, and so forth is starting to gum up the works. The decay just keeps going, and changing out a mod for an identical mod does nothing. Eventually, the mod decays to zero--there's too much of your enemies smeared across the insides of your gear for it to work anymore.

However, if you put a totally different mod in, that new mod will be nice and clean and fresh, and have the 120% bonus effectiveness.

For every hour that a mod is out of use on your frame, all of those witness-protection corpus crewmen we've captured have been busily polishing it up and de-gunking it. The lotus pays them nicely. It's not a great job, but it beats going home to an execution. This restores like, 3% effectiveness, per hour.

That way, players that regularly try new and exciting things will always have 100% or more utility out of their mods, and players that have built themselves into tiny boxes will eventually be forced to rethink their basic strategies.

It rewards creativity. It encourages diversity. It gives us a bonus. It's not a massive change to how mods work. It's small enough that everyone has time to adapt, but big enough to make adapting worthwhile.

I'm completely certain we'd see an end to the numerous "OMG REQUIRED MODS" trend.

For a bonus, to the absolutely most annoyingly stubborn people in the world, have an option for emergency refurbish. A handful of plat, and those corpus crewman will work overtime to buff it up to 100% again. Of course, you don't *need* to spend plat to get it fixed up, but if you're still COMPLETELY convinced you can't live without that mod...

The amount of new playstyles people would inherently invent would alleviate a TON of the "boredom" issues they have too--and, notably, the players who have the boredom issues are the ones who it would affect the most--a newbie could play for days before it was even the beginning of being an issue, since the 20%  bonus would have to be worn through first.

I'll be honest here, i wouldn't play the game with if this gets implemented, it sounds like gimmick.

The mods like redirection takes a lot of time to get on maximum level, having those lose their effectiveness when i want to play would be serious kick in the groin.

The only problem with this is that it does NOT address the required mods.

Its just a fact that you *need* mods like Redirection and Vitality regardless of which WF you are playing.

Further depending on the frame you *need* streamline, flow, stretch, etc.

And then you *need* your ability mods, and probably your aura.

Having ALL of those lose usefulness as you play would just be punishing players for actually playing the game.

All this does it make it a requirement to have multiple of those mods so that you can swap them out as they are needed.

This does nothing to make the mods any less required or make it better to try out different builds, this just adds frustration to the players because suddenly the required mods in order to survive and actually do something now require being swapped out with copies or else you become useless.

The same goes for the weapon mods.

Try playing a weapon without high level damage mods on a higher level planet, or the void, and see how far you get and how effective you are.

All this would mean is that I would need to farm up an extra serration and max it out again. And I dont really want to go back through all that grind just so that I can actually contribute to the group that I am in.

It would just be a waste.

This only creates more issues, and doesn't solve anything.

Edited by Tsukinoki

-snip-

This is honestly one of the worst ideas I've heard.  What you're suggesting is that people have to rotate mods just because they use them often, which does nothing to address the underlying issue of why players stick with the same mod loadouts.  Forcing gameplay changes for the sake of forcing gameplay changes is not a proper mechanic.

@Tsukinoki You don't "need" any mod. That's kind of the point. More, swapping between copy A of redirection and copy B of redirection would not reset the timer, THAT would be pointless. Not having any redirection installed at all would.

HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITHOUT REDIRECTION? I don't know. Maybe stop standing in the middle of hallways. Snipe more. Carry heal packs. Use defensive skills more often. There's tons of options that you just aren't taking because you find it easier to just forever rely on redirection. I don't know what options you're not using, but I'm 100% certain that there's a LOT of them if you think redirection is a "must have" for all warframes. Are you really saying you're so bad at the game you couldn't handle a few hours without it?

@PenutReaper It would require 30 hours of play with a mod installed before it hit 90% effectiveness. Does anyone actually not get to Vor within 30 hours of playing? Has mercury become that difficult? I mean, he used to be reachable within your first 3 hours of play, and at that point, your mods would be sporting a shiny 17% bonus  OR MORE, as you don't start off with any mods installed. I think newbies would ENJOY a 17% bonus fighting Vor, don't you?

This is honestly one of the worst ideas I've heard.  What you're suggesting is that people have to rotate mods just because they use them often, which does nothing to address the underlying issue of why players stick with the same mod loadouts.  Forcing gameplay changes for the sake of forcing gameplay changes is not a proper mechanic.

Actually, it 100% addresses the issue.

From what I've observed, people have "MUST HAVE" mods because they play this game like it's DOOM. They run down the center of a hallway, as fast as they can, shooting anything that crosses their path.

Then, somehow, they get bored by doing this, and they get angry when anyone challenges that perhaps the game has any more depth than that, or that you can complete any levels at all by doing anything other than that.

Getting people to stop flatfooting every level at high speed would do wonders for sustainability, it would certainly give a ton more variety to tactics and builds. It would most certainly fix what's causing the "stagnant gameplay": stagnant players.

Any argument about "must have" is assuming there is ONLY ONE WAY to play the game. There isn't. There's tons. There's parkour galore, all kinds of powers and weapons and frames, but as long as you're trudging down the hallway with your gun, you're never going to even remotely care about all of this.

"NEEDING" mods isn't the problem, because you don't. I don't even install most of the "needed" mods on ANY of my frames. It's that people don't bother even trying to imagine what it would be like to play without them, and when they do, their first and only reaction is "IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!"

-snip-

That's not the point.  The point is that peopole don't want to spend the time to swap mods constantly because for no reason at all, they're only getting 80% effectiveness out of it.

This idea is worse than durabilty because at least with durability a player can still use it with 100% effectiveness at all times so long as they bother to repair every now and then.  Not to mention durability is a terrible idea in general. 

Bottom line is: don't punish people for using a build they like.

@Llyssa

Grineer have hitscan weaponry. If you go into any high level grineer planet they can and will hit you from across the room if you stick your head out. And without shields or vitality you are probably going to die *very* quickly. Even faster if your in the void and see a corrupted heavy gunner.

And if the grineer spawn in the room behind you and shoot you because you didn't notice them because you were trying to slowly kill the enemies in front of you because your AP mod has degraded to the point of uselessness then they can very easily shoot you in the back and down you pretty fast.

Because of that Redirection is a must have mod. Very few frames can actually play without a redirection and vitality equipped. And the ones that can still need other things which would degrade to the point of uselessness.

Try playing a Loki on a high level planet without any of his abilities or redirection or vitality and see how far you get. Because after all abilities are mods too and would likewise degrade to utter uselessness.

I dont know what you consider fun, but very slowly creeping through a level and snipping at enemies with weapons that are losing more and more effectiveness against them as I go is not most peoples ideas of a fun game.

What am I supposed to do? Play low level missions, and mainly infested, for the HOURS required for my mods to get back to a usable state so that I can get back to the fun stuff?

Suffer through fun missions without being able to effectively damage the enemies with my weaponry because my gun mods have degraded to uselessness?

Cycle through my weapons by unequipping all mods from 2 weapons and only using the one with mods till it gets down and then equipping the mods into my secondary or melee so that I can damage and kill enemies in a timely manner?

None of those seem like fun to me.

Edited by Tsukinoki

I'm tired of reading the frustratingly entrenched concept of "must have" mods.

This mistaken concept has arisen because there's no incentive to change mods, and players would rather keep trudging their same boring rut than dare to ever try anything new or different.

So, let's add one.

Let's say a mod gets a "freshness" rating, that refills. Each frame has it's own freshness, but all mods of the same type share it.

When you first equip a mod, you'll get 100% of the mod's value, plus an additional, say, 20% bonus effectiveness, from the "freshness". It's newly installed, it synergizes greatly with the systems, all is well.

After each hour of play, the mod effectiveness decays by 1%. Space gunk, nanospores, dried grineer blood, and so forth is starting to gum up the works. The decay just keeps going, and changing out a mod for an identical mod does nothing. Eventually, the mod decays to zero--there's too much of your enemies smeared across the insides of your gear for it to work anymore.

This would reduce player retention by say....95%.

You are basically telling players, they CANT play the way they want, they MUST change playstyles or they will weaken.

If you want to encourage players switching styles, give them a bonus for switching, duh. Don't penalize them for not switching. Or, more logically, create gameplay challenges which promote different playstyles (a level that is very challenging without a sniper setup, one that benefits from a speed setup, one that is best suited to a tank setup etc) to give them a chance to explore those builds.

However, your suggestion is essentially, "I think everyone should be forced to play the way I like".