Please do something about khora's whipclaw

On 2020-06-17 at 8:14 PM, -Xtharvind- said:

2) Maintain the damage but remove the ability to bypass obstacle  (in my opinion, I think this choice is better, similar to mesa where the enemy need to be in her sight to deal high damage)

And yes, this is how it should be. This will not affect my ability to solo ESO with Khora... not in the slightest. Khora bypassing terrain/walls isn't even consistent. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Heck, I can't even always hit enemies trapped in Strangledome with a clear shot!

But I do think Strangledome should still allow her to bypass walls since it can snare enemies behind walls. It also costs a lot to cast and it is the real mechanism by which Khora can expand the AOE potential of her Whipclaw!

1 hour ago, Pizzarugi said:

I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

All of this is bad and should be nerfed. The difference between most of the things you listed and nuke frames plus spin2win is that they trivialize the game for everyone on the team and not just the player using them. Loki players make the game easier for themselves, same goes with hyper tank frames like Revenant. Meanwhile if you don't play these frames and end up teaming up with a Saryn or Khora or Mesa or Equinox, they trivialize the game for you regardless if you wanted them to or not.

The point is who cares. Does it really matter that a Khora got more kills/damage than you? No.

You chose to bring a loadout that does not preform as efficiently as someone else. That was a decision you made. Just like joining a public game is a decision. You are going to come across people that min/max their loadout to complete mission as quickly as possible. There will always be someone that has the most kills/damage at the end of a mission. You can't expect randoms in a public squad to meet your expectations. Expecting DE to nerf frames that don't meet your expectations seems unrealistic and selfish to me. Someone playing that nuke frame enjoys that frame as much as you enjoy whatever you main. 

Many of the "problem" nuke frames are desired squad mates in specific missions with premade squads. I never get complaints when I bring Khora to long kuva survivals. I normally get at least one person asking for my builds and a friend request. 

We need DPS, tanks, support, crowd control and invis frames. In premade squads everyone can have a roll and be happy playing what they want. In pubic matches we kind of agreed to take what we can get. DE can't balance every frame/weapon combination to preform equally in every mission type. It would defeat the purpose of having 50+ frames and 500+ weapons if they all preformed equally. We would all be stuck with Inaros/Rubico loadouts. Sounds pretty miserable to me.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:

The point is who cares. Does it really matter that a Khora got more kills/damage than you? No.

You chose to bring a loadout that does not preform as efficiently as someone else. That was a decision you made. Just like joining a public game is a decision. You are going to come across people that min/max their loadout to complete mission as quickly as possible. There will always be someone that has the most kills/damage at the end of a mission. You can't expect randoms in a public squad to meet your expectations. Expecting DE to nerf frames that don't meet your expectations seems unrealistic and selfish to me. Someone playing that nuke frame enjoys that frame as much as you enjoy whatever you main. 

That is blatantly missing the point I've made several times. Nobody is arguing who is killing more than who. The argument is whether or not a frame is trivializing the game not only for themselves, but for the rest of the players who got teamed up with them. Turning the game from an objective-driven horde shooter into a walking simulator is the subject of discussion.

Many of the "problem" nuke frames are desired squad mates in specific missions with premade squads. I never get complaints when I bring Khora to long kuva survivals. I normally get at least one person asking for my builds and a friend request. 

Just because they're desired in premade squads or almost required in cases like ESO, it doesn't mean it's a good design choice. Even if nuke frames got nerfed so they can't clear entire rooms with one button, damage frames would still be desired in order to keep the hordes from being overwhelming rather than nonexistent. That used to be the purpose of damage frames way back in the day, but power creep has run rampant starting with corrupted mods which has ultimately led us here.

We need DPS, tanks, support, crowd control and invis frames. In premade squads everyone can have a roll and be happy playing what they want.

But in the current state of the game, what is the point of playing any other frame if DPS is all you need? Rhino and Revenant are redundant with a Saryn in the team. Nyx and Loki are unneeded with Mesa killing everything in sight. Trinity is not desired or required to keep the team alive if Ember or Khora is 1shotting the screen (plus Arcane Energize and Zenurik energy bubbles being a thing makes energy sustain a non-issue).

In pubic matches we kind of agreed to take what we can get.

By that logic, pre-rework Limbo was just fine griefing the party. Freezing people's bullets and forcing you to melee was implemented by design which DE defended for a long time before finally caving in to the community's damands. If you didn't like it, you shouldn't be playing public.

Just because you like to play in public, it doesn't mean your chance of having a boring or frustrating experience should depend on your likelihood of getting matched with a nuke frame or a griefer.

DE can't balance every frame/weapon combination to preform equally in every mission type. It would defeat the purpose of having 50+ frames and 500+ weapons if they all preformed equally.

Nobody's arguing that every weapon and frame should perform 100% the exact same way.

The argument is that a handful of frames shouldn't be rendering the rest of the roster and all of the weapons redundant by eliminating all challenge in the game with 1 button.

EDIT: Corrected typos.

Edited by Pizzarugi
  • Like 2
24 minutes ago, Pizzarugi said:

.The argument is that a handful of frames shouldn't be rendering the rest of the roster and all of the weapons redundant by eliminating all challenge in the game with 1 button.

Once the DPS is unable to trivialize content, I figure that crowd control will take its place and warframe will go from a walking simulator to a "shooting fish in a barrel" simulator. I'm not sure how to go about solving the issue myself.

1 hour ago, Pizzarugi said:

The argument is that a handful of frames shouldn't be rendering the rest of the roster and all of the weapons redundant by eliminating all challenge in the game with 1 button.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Ragology said:

Once the DPS is unable to trivialize content, I figure that crowd control will take its place and warframe will go from a walking simulator to a "shooting fish in a barrel" simulator. I'm not sure how to go about solving the issue myself.

No, stop. Khora does not trivialize content. Khora does not have 360 degree non-LoS long range damage capabilities. She is not in the same league as real nuke frames.

Yes, she kills a lot of enemies in ESO because they usually all spawn in large numbers in one location. Most game modes do not feature spawn points with 50 enemies simultaneously appearing all huddled up ripe for Whipclaw. Stop grouping Khora into the category of "nuke frame" because of ESO. There is no other game mode like it.

47 minutes ago, nslay said:

No, stop. Khora does not trivialize content. Khora does not have 360 degree non-LoS long range damage capabilities. She is not in the same league as real nuke frames.

Yes, she kills a lot of enemies in ESO because they usually all spawn in large numbers in one location. Most game modes do not feature spawn points with 50 enemies simultaneously appearing all huddled up ripe for Whipclaw. Stop grouping Khora into the category of "nuke frame" because of ESO. There is no other game mode like it.

This video disagrees that she's not similar to nuke frames. She's been doing this long before Xoris came out, which has now made it much easier to achieve.

9 minutes ago, Pizzarugi said:

This video disagrees that she's not similar to nuke frames. She's been doing this long before Xoris came out, which has now made it much easier to achieve.

It's also an ESO run with high densities of enemies simultaneously spawning in single location. In any other game mode, enemies do not spawn like that. Whipclaw does not work anywhere as effectively outside of ESO.

And no, you're wrong. ESO was that easy for Khora before Xoris too. Would you like to see a video of my Naramon Khora in ESO? I don't use Xoris. But hey! This week's ESO tile sequence was pretty easy. Khora doesn't actually well on some ESO tiles. For example, certain Kuva Fortress tiles are headache even for Khora. Can you guess who does all ESO tiles without a hiccup? Saryn.... a real nuke frame. Those maze-like passages don't stop her from spreading spores. But they do mess up Whipclaw!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Richeatue said:

If you think Xoris has somehow transformed Khora into some beast, in a way she wasn't capable of doing before, I'm going to lmao. 

The Xoris did transform Khora into a beast. One that simply does not need to grind a ton of focus or grinding up a selection of certain mods to enable. It vastly simplified the process and cut out the grind.

• Like 1

I actually really like this changes. Before in ESO you can only find Saryn, occasional Volt/Mesa and people, who hope for someone with Saryn. Right now it's Saryn, Khora and Volt/Mesa (I guess Baruuk, Ember, Mirage and Nidus players are to shy, and prefer to play alone). I would like it to be like Granum Void, so many builds are working great there.

And about complains "OP Khora". Before the update, everything was fine, and after "OMG, nerf OP beast". So let's check what this update did to Khora abilities... hm... I guess nothing. So maybe problem is not in the Khora?

Edited by Sadraven
  • Like 3

@Sadraven sees it correctly.

what many forget you have to play khora for it you narrow yourself down. And damage is not everything.

since bramma was changed it seems to me that some players want revenge

2 minutes ago, TankHunter678 said:

The Xoris did transform Khora into a beast. One that simply does not need to grind a ton of focus or grinding up a selection of certain mods to enable. It vastly simplified the process and cut out the grind.

She never needed a ton of focus do do that. You only need the Power Spike node on Naramon to not lose combo counter. That's ~400k focus to max the only node needed. It is 50M+ focus to max everything. Less than 1% of total focus is required to max Power Spike.

In ESO there are so many enemies that you don't even need Power spike. You could run it with no focus schools unlocked and any melee modded the same. Even with the Xoris every round of ESO your combo count goes back down to zero. Xoris does absolutely nothing for Khora in ESO.  Xoris didn't magically change the formula for how to play Khora. You still need a basic Whipclaw build and a stat stick.

Xoris didn't transform khora into a beast. She always was a beast. Now you can just be lazy with Xoris and run any focus school. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TankHunter678 said:

WHAT? just WHAT? all it LITERALLY DID, was giving her ONE more mod slot, because she no longer needs a combo mod.. that is LITERALLY all it did! big xD

it so funny to me how people are raging about this instead of beeing happy, its a CONVENIENCE buff, nothing more.. it was like this for MONTHS, it is still even stronger when used with other weapons...

its not even that it just benefits Khora.. have you tried ash with it? atlas? before you complain about something you see in that ONE youtube guys video, better play the game yourself, because we palyers do some much more crazy S#&$ behind the curtains.

6 hours ago, Pizzarugi said:

This video disagrees that she's not similar to nuke frames.

the term nuke frame has become more loose and loose it seems? xD

back in my days, a nuke frame cleared a whole screen in a 360° degree angle on 40 meters range.. and it was good they removed it..

khora just hits a SINGLE group of enemys.. which your Zaw, your bramma, your atlas, your baruuk, your Ivara all can do better. and we still have frames that are so much incredibly more potent when it comes to room clearing.. Saryn, Octavia, Mesa, Nova, even Vauban of all frames now! and even they don't need to be fixed right now, there is nothing to fix. none of them whipes a screen at an instance, all of these allow you still play the game as a teamate.

besides mayyyybe saryn, and here the spores are not the problem, its miasma, so IF anything, give miasma LoS restriction, and keep everything else.

next thing we know is people complaining about gara just because she can do this all while just walking around pressing not a single button but W.. big big xD

Edited by SmokinDice
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Berzerkules said:

She never needed a ton of focus do do that. You only need the Power Spike node on Naramon to not lose combo counter. That's ~400k focus to max the only node needed. It is 50M+ focus to max everything. Less than 1% of total focus is required to max Power Spike.

In ESO there are so many enemies that you don't even need Power spike. You could run it with no focus schools unlocked and any melee modded the same. Even with the Xoris every round of ESO your combo count goes back down to zero. Xoris does absolutely nothing for Khora in ESO.  Xoris didn't magically change the formula for how to play Khora. You still need a basic Whipclaw build and a stat stick.

Xoris didn't transform khora into a beast. She always was a beast. Now you can just be lazy with Xoris and run any focus school. 

For casual players who do not dump plat on lenses or do a lot of work to grind up things to trade for plat to trade for good lenses or the long grinding for upgrading lenses and grinding out the bounties then 400k focus actually is a lot to have to grind for. Especially for those who did not choose the school to begin with.

And I am talking in general, not just in ESO.

3 hours ago, TankHunter678 said:

For casual players who do not dump plat on lenses or do a lot of work to grind up things to trade for plat to trade for good lenses or the long grinding for upgrading lenses and grinding out the bounties then 400k focus actually is a lot to have to grind for. Especially for those who did not choose the school to begin with.

And I am talking in general, not just in ESO.

Khora parts Drop in Sanctuary Onslaught her blueprint from the 8th wave. SO/ESO is a focus farm. Base daily focus cap is 250k+5k/MR. You will easily get 400k focus by the time you farm Khora. The Accumulating Whipclaw augment required for the build can be purchased only after you reach R5 at Steel Meridian or Red Veil. Farming Khora isn't exactly a casual friendly.

It's interesting to see this thread base on Khora and her damage, not because the damage is strong, but because it also does not have line-of-sight to limit it.

I mean, I find it interesting since we've also got frames like Garuda that ignores line of sight with an ability combo that can spark Bleed procs in the hundred-thousands range where both parts of the combo ignore line-of-sight. Dread Mirror's orb ignores LoS and so does Seeking Talons, meaning that with simple correct positioning she can bomb for level scaling that's kind of silly.

With less effect we also have Baruuk, with the Augment for his Serene Storm that passes through walls and covers a massive area with each hit. While not a nuke on the level of Khora or Garuda, as a non-LoS ability it's pretty powerful over time. (Side note, Serene Storm is currently affected by the Xoris' infinite combo counter too, so you can build that up in a similar fashion and then enjoy infinite full-combo attacks while using Serene Storm, which is notably hard to build combo on due to the waves.)

On non-armoured enemies, Ember's 4 ignores LoS to cause some fairly hefty damage if you use her Passive buffing for Ability Strength and a full Immolation meter for double damage.

Oh, and then there's Equinox, who can build up a rather substantial amount of damage over time too, more if you combine her with another Equinox to transfer the buff over between each other. It may not be immediate, but it definitely ignores line of sight, and has been used frequently by players to reach functional enemy level and damage calculation cap.

So, for the energy spent and the effort spent? I think Khora's just... in a class with these other frames that deal high damage and bypass obstacles. Nuke frames exist and always will. Just as when one Bramma gets nerfed one Stahlta arises to be the new kid on the block.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

It's interesting to see this thread base on Khora and her damage, not because the damage is strong, but because it also does not have line-of-sight to limit it.

I mean, I find it interesting since we've also got frames like Garuda that ignores line of sight with an ability combo that can spark Bleed procs in the hundred-thousands range where both parts of the combo ignore line-of-sight. Dread Mirror's orb ignores LoS and so does Seeking Talons, meaning that with simple correct positioning she can bomb for level scaling that's kind of silly.

With less effect we also have Baruuk, with the Augment for his Serene Storm that passes through walls and covers a massive area with each hit. While not a nuke on the level of Khora or Garuda, as a non-LoS ability it's pretty powerful over time. (Side note, Serene Storm is currently affected by the Xoris' infinite combo counter too, so you can build that up in a similar fashion and then enjoy infinite full-combo attacks while using Serene Storm, which is notably hard to build combo on due to the waves.)

On non-armoured enemies, Ember's 4 ignores LoS to cause some fairly hefty damage if you use her Passive buffing for Ability Strength and a full Immolation meter for double damage.

Oh, and then there's Equinox, who can build up a rather substantial amount of damage over time too, more if you combine her with another Equinox to transfer the buff over between each other. It may not be immediate, but it definitely ignores line of sight, and has been used frequently by players to reach functional enemy level and damage calculation cap.

So, for the energy spent and the effort spent? I think Khora's just... in a class with these other frames that deal high damage and bypass obstacles. Nuke frames exist and always will. Just as when one Bramma gets nerfed one Stahlta arises to be the new kid on the block.

I've been checking the in-game profiles of some of the players asking for the Khora nerf. Most of them have Saryn or Mesa in their most-used filters, so singling out Khora with proposed nerfs that should be applied to their own frames reeks of nothing more than hypocrisy and virtual penis size envy.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

I've been checking the in-game profiles of some of the players asking for the Khora nerf. Most of them have Saryn or Mesa in their most-used filters, so singling out Khora with proposed nerfs that should be applied to their own frames reeks of nothing more than hypocrisy and virtual penis size envy.

I'm uploading a Naramon Khora video right now... 8 rounds of ESO. It will cast absolute doubt on Xoris as any kind of real benefit to or any mode of easier play with Khora. More importantly, it will show examples of challenging ESO tiles for Khora that are not challenges for real nuke frames like Saryn. I think it also does a good job showing Whipclaw not being 100% reliable. But hey, at the end of the day, she still finishes 8 rounds of ESO with flying colors very easily without Xoris while still doing those nice juicy red numbers worth of damage.

Now waiting to upload for a SECOND time because apparently you need to "verify" your youtube account for more than 15 minute videos. Thanks youtube...

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, nslay said:

I'm uploading a Naramon Khora video right now... 8 rounds of ESO. It will cast absolute doubt on Xoris as any kind of real benefit to or any mode of easier play with Khora. More importantly, it will show examples of challenging ESO tiles for Khora that are not challenges for real nuke frames like Saryn. I think it also does a good job showing Whipclaw not being 100% reliable. But hey, at the end of the day, she still finishes 8 rounds of ESO with flying colors very easily without Xoris while still doing those nice juicy red numbers worth of damage.

Now waiting to upload for a SECOND time because apparently you need to "verify" your youtube account for more than 15 minute videos. Thanks youtube...

Indeed. Naramon has been my main focus school for a very long time. I don't even use combo duration mods. It seems that for people who think Zenurik is the only focus school in existence Xoris just "buffed" Khora or enabled things that were not possible before. Heck, with Xoris I deal significantly less accumulated whipclaw damage than when using my usual melee weapons because they have rivens and they add to the damage. 

I don't know what's more laughable. That they think this is new, or that when you check the user's profile they have Saryn in the top spots. 

• Like 1

Honestly I'd rather they do something about Strangledome obnoxiously wobbling enemies around and getting them stuck in hidden parts of the geometry.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Checking in game profiles for most used can be deceiving. The most used frame is often not that players main. Personally Saryn Prime is my most used at 17.2%. I used her to farm focus in all schools and progress through the star chart. She was a tool I used, I didn't particularly enjoy her, she just suited my needs at the moment. 

Now I use her occasionally for specific missions like today's assault rifle only sortie. I didn't want to chase down a bunch of enemies all over a huge multi level map shooting hundreds of grineer. Just take Saryn. Besides stuff like that I have not played her in months. Now I cycle through Khora, Wisp, Ember, Gauss, Baruuk, Ash, Zephyr and Mag. With ~3k hours played and the amount of frames I play regularly no one is going to dethrone Saryn as most played on my account for a long time. 

14 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Indeed. Naramon has been my main focus school for a very long time. I don't even use combo duration mods. It seems that for people who think Zenurik is the only focus school in existence Xoris just "buffed" Khora or enabled things that were not possible before. Heck, with Xoris I deal significantly less accumulated whipclaw damage than when using my usual melee weapons because they have rivens and they add to the damage. 

I don't know what's more laughable. That they think this is new, or that when you check the user's profile they have Saryn in the top spots. 

Xoris at least adds diversity to Khora builds. But it doesn't do anything you couldn't already do before... you can even manage energy very comfortably without Zenurik. But at least Xoris gives you the option.

My current weapon of choice is Rakta Dark Dagger. The Blight effect mildly helps with energy-stingy enemies (usually Grineer!). But Equilibrium and Arcane Energize work remarkably well themselves!

Here's a video of my Naramon Khora running 8 zones of ESO today. This Khora build predates Xoris!

Spoiler

Pay particular attention to my energy usage, combo counter, Whipclaw and Strangledome usage, I also want you to note the failed Whipclaw hits (for which there are many). Please pay particular attention to zones 5 and 7. I want you to understand that the progress degradation in zones 5 and 7 does not happen with real nuke frames like Saryn. This video demonstrates very clearly the Khora is not in the same league as nuke frames like Equinox, Saryn or Volt. Not by a long shot! Though she is a lot of fun and this gimmicky build is sooo fun!

Summary of takeaways:

1. This video shows that Xoris brings nothing new to the table for Khora. See how Naramon Khora can build and preserve combo and kill enemies just fine without Xoris. This build existed before Xoris and worked just the same as it does now.
  2. Not only does Xoris neither make combo easier nor harder to build or preserve, but even opening up the option to use Zenurik neither makes energy easier nor harder to manage over Naramon Khora. Points 1 and 2: Xoris adds NOTHING to Khora.
  3. Zones 5 and 7 show great examples of tiles that cause serious ESO progress degradation to Khora. Large tiles with scattered spawn points and maze-like tiles like Kuva Fortress are especially challenging for Khora.
  4. Lastly, to really drive the point about Khora as a "nuke"... the situations seen in Zones 5 and 7 do not happen with real nukes. Real nukes have 360 degree non-LoS long range coverage. Whipclaw by comparison does not have that. It's a highly focused skill and its AOE is only enhanced by Strangledome.

Now tell us with a straight face that you think because of Brozime's video featuring an almost ideal ESO tile sequence for Khora that it somehow means that Khora is a problem frame and a nuke or that Whipclaw is somehow really awful to other players.

Nevermind that this is ESO and that in no other game mode do enemies spawn in such concentrated high density fashions. Her Whipclaw does not work like this for, say, Excavation or Survival where enemies come from all directions. But you know that real nuke frames also work in these situations? Khora is not a nuke frame and there is nothing wrong with Whipclaw just because you saw an ideal ESO run from Brozime.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

It's not as simple as that. Garuda needs to do multiple things in order to build up the power necessary to 1shot enemies in a much more limited range compared to Khora. She has to build up a large amount of damage from enemies, proc the bleed vulnerability with her 4 after channeling, and then drop her Dread Mirror's front shield just so she can charge up that blood ball to multiply the stored damage which also greatly reduces her mobility in the process. The last phase of this can be very dangerous to pull off in high level content because you'll be vulnerable to getting melted.

All Khora has to do is press 1. All Saryn has to do is press 1 and shoot the spores or press 4. All Mesa has to do is press 4, swivel your screen, and hold down the mouse button. Volt, Equinox, Ember, same thing.

Some nukes are justified if it takes work to achieve. Garuda is an example of a good nuke frame, the only good example. If DE wants to give players nuke frames, they should take more effort to actually nuke rather than simply spamming one ability to make enemies vanish in a puff of affinity.

Edited by Pizzarugi
14 minutes ago, Pizzarugi said:

All Khora has to do is press 1.

No, Khora has to cast her Strangledome and wait for it to amass enemies before she can "nuke" them.

Or alternatively, you're in ESO and they just all spawn balled up that way and then a youtuber makes a video and makes it seem really amazing when it's only an artifact of ESO spawning mechanics.