Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Upcoming Protea Changes!

[DE]Megan

shrapnel needs to scale off enemy level. Set damage only holds it back. This is all the more alarming due to her 4 being extremely anti warframe without abilities that matter. 

This ultimate can't even kill level 20 enemies so the rest if her abilities to the least need to do way more work

• Like 5

I feel like the duration should be increased further for shield satellites. They already break if your shield breaks, and Protea is a very cast-heavy character with her turrets being so transient and her shrapnel grenades needing to be spammed to cover any real area/deal any real damage. She doesn't need such low duration on her only defensive tool on top of that.

I understand why you're afraid to not have duration on blaze artillery, but I think the ammo is more than sufficient to keep them from being an afk tool. They'd be a lot more useful if I could leave one to watch my back while I was doing something else, they have a cap to the max number you can have out as well, which prevents them from being stacked too hard.

Edited by MasterControl
  • Like 3

Got a few nitpicks:

43 minutes ago, [DE]Megan said:

Grenade Fan

The small hop feels a bit awkward to use in tighter multi-elevated tiles such as the Corpus Ship now. Is it fine to remove it?

44 minutes ago, [DE]Megan said:

Blaze Artillery

The ability's ending animation (after the Artillery got deployed) prevents jumping and other actions. Can the upper body animation restrictions end once the Artillery gets deployed?

Otherwise, Protea feels rather actively interesting. I appreciate that a lot.

• Like 1

No enemy level scaling damage multiplier on her 1 and 2? I am disappointed. Doubling the damage on her 1 and increased the ramp up on her 2 won’t be enough. Those abilities will be out scaled after a certain level point.

Edited by DrivaMain
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, [DE]Megan said:
  • Increased Duration of Blaze Artillery by 1 second, and doubled the Damage multiplier to compete against higher level enemies. Duration will now show in Arsenal stats instead of the maximum number of shots.
  • Protea’s Blaze Artillery will now shoot through Volt’s Shield, but won't benefit from its buffs.

Our goal here is to keep the spirit of the rapid fire Artillery alive, with just a bit more punch. We will monitor for feedback after this change as well. 

I appreciate you talking to us. Cause after i reading this i have this question... Why? WHY? WHY???

Maybe Protea is secretly OP? I mean "spirit of" is good, but what else is her kit? And how exactly "rapid" mean "no no, no radiation damage and Volt buffs"?

Since you have goal it's hard to argue, but at least make an animation take no hand action. It's kinda make me feel stupid every time.

24 minutes ago, [DE]Megan said:

Dispensary

Please, make cost 25. Or even 0. That's kinda strange to have this ability be so locked.

52 minutes ago, [DE]Megan said:

Grenade Fan

Our goal here is to improve efficacy, usability, and logic of Grenade Fan! 

Usability and logic... What kind of logic make you jump? You know, sometimes this even doesn't let you to aim.

ALSO i know, this is my problem. But this post gave me unswer to "why my shield buff is so inconsistant". Can you explain more about what spirit make it throwable? I mean in my logic, i want to place a dispencer right under my body, or at least near enough to be affected same time i cast it.

P.S. Somehow her 1 interaction with "last used ability" button is broken. I mean it just doesnt work.

• Like 3

il y a une heure, [DE]Megan a dit :

As we pass our 7 day mark since the launch of The Deadlock Protocol on PC, our hands are busy at work making changes based on great player feedback! We hope to provide Protea with both visual improvements as well as touching on some Ability mechanic improvements. We’re aiming to slip this in before Console Cert as well so our Console Tenno can enjoy an improved version of Protea!

Grenade Fan

• Increased Duration of both grenades by 3 seconds.
  • Increased Range of both grenades at max rank from 4 to 5 meters.
    • For Shield Satellite, this applies to the grenade pickup Range.
  • Increased Shield Satellite grenade count from 3 to 4 to accommodate max Squad sizes.
  • Increased visibility FX on available Shield Satellite grenades to aid in differentiating between the two grenades.
  • Doubled the Damage of the Shrapnel Vortex grenade.
  • Fixed Protea's Grenade Fan/ Shield Satellites appearing giant while using Archwing.

Our goal here is to improve efficacy, usability, and logic of Grenade Fan! 

Blaze Artillery

• Increased Duration of Blaze Artillery by 1 second, and doubled the Damage multiplier to compete against higher level enemies. Duration will now show in Arsenal stats instead of the maximum number of shots.
  • Protea’s Blaze Artillery will now shoot through Volt’s Shield, but won't benefit from its buffs.
  • Fixed Protea’s Blaze Artillery not targeting ragdolled enemies. 

Our goal here is to keep the spirit of the rapid fire Artillery alive, with just a bit more punch. We will monitor for feedback after this change as well. 

Dispensary

• Protea’s Dispensary location is now displayed on the minimap in the form of the Ability icon.
    • Similar to Wisp’s Reservoirs! 

Temporal Anchor

• Protea is now invulnerable for the first 3 seconds of Temporal Anchor (i.e on cast, to prevent casting animation deaths).

This invulnerability window is an important add based on all the ways players have used Temporal Anchor thus far - that key survivability reaction should include invulnerability. 

We look forward to your feedback on these changes after they are live! 

An ability like anchor in warframe is certainly not useful, there's no need for that, you can already do what anchor does but without the incovenient Anchor is bringing
Just a thought, but you might reconsider that ability for something else, a bit more useful.

What's funny though, is that you're really not wanting to give protea "OP" powers
Considering the new Vauban can lockdown an entire map with two vortexes for 25 seconds, saryn has an almost infinite nuke with spores, Equinox can nuke entires rooms...

I think you can really up a lot more to be on par with other frames, right now she's doing okish but others warframes are doing a much better job (Vauban with his nades, turrets, CC is litterally doing her work + a lot more, and the nail turrets of Vauban are scaling with the level of ennemies, you should really do that too for all of her offensive powers.)

Edited by Maryph
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Magus_Tahir said:

The ability snap shots all sound and visuals in a very short time span in order for it to work via playback. They would need to rebuild the ability from the ground up. Don't see Pablo undoing this given how much work he put into it. Players may have to adapt to this ability being what it is. 

The amount of processing/memory power needed to be recording constantly to make this work whenever is kinda the reason this wont happen. At least not in the way one would expect.  Have a few ideas Id have to watch Doctor Who for a bit again to get it all down.

What I'm saying is that they shouldn't remove the time limit, like 10 seconds with mods, so it should record the last 10 seconds passively but forget the first seconds as time goes on. The sound reverse & memory won't be affected

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Adder114 said:

These sound extremely underwhelming. I'll hold proper judgment till these drop and I can test them but I just wish DE would listen to the community more. Almost every reply (and I do mean literally almost all of them) on the Protea feedback thread had the following: scaling damage on her 1 and 2 and remove the duration of her 2 and increase the duration of her 1. Instead they add 3 seconds to her 1 and 1 second to her 2 and just double the damage. That's kinda what we want but also very much not. It's extremely disappointing to see this but once again, I will hold any further judgment until I test her. Who knows, this might fix everything and if so I'll publicly recant my complaint here. 

Given recent history I would much rather see them see them moving her ahead in minute measurements rather than overclock her. I am fairly confident she will receive another pass with a few more ticks. Not like it will be immediate, don't expect them to work round the clock after all.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Magus_Tahir said:

The ability snap shots all sound and visuals in a very short time span in order for it to work via playback. They would need to rebuild the ability from the ground up. Don't see Pablo undoing this given how much work he put into it. Players may have to adapt to this ability being what it is. 

The amount of processing/memory power needed to be recording constantly to make this work whenever is kinda the reason this wont happen. At least not in the way one would expect.  Have a few ideas Id have to watch Doctor Who for a bit again to get it all down.

sounds like a developer problem
I'd rather have a useful functional ability then something clunky that doesn't fit her kit

1 - a grenade gadget
2 - a turret gadget
3 -  a dispenser gadget
4 - ...time rewind?

you can easily keep the function of the ultimate (allowing for spamming abilities and ammo and S#&$ with a full refund when it expires) without making something dumb like this
feels like they made the quest before the frame and just decided to theme her ult around the quest, even if it doesn't make any sense for the rest of her kit

make her ult some sort of overcharge gadget that gives her bottomless mags and no energy cost on abilities
if you die during it, it shuts off and gives you a couple seconds of invincibility

functionally identical but isn't tied to some dumb time shenanigans and isn't restricted by the "sound recording tech" or whatever
also wouldn't warp you back to where you were before which is really annoying in non endless missions, getting put back 5 tiles just to use her full kit properly

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ailia_Grimm said:

What I'm saying is that they shouldn't remove the time limit, like 10 seconds with mods, so it should record the last 10 seconds passively but forget the first seconds as time goes on. The sound reverse & memory won't be affected

Unless you can make time record without actually having it record then no you would still be recording constantly even if you're replacing 10 seconds with 10 seconds constantly. So while holding 10 seconds of stored time it has to record the next ten then dump and replace the previous 10 while recording the next. Instead of one stream of time, you would be holding two at a time, make that three if you really want to get technical. 

So unless you can come up with a game code to do it I doubt it will change.

• Like 3

Nice changes.

What if Blaze Artillery key could be hold, to launch a version of the  turret that would last much longer, but without the damage multiplier stuff? => the goal here would be to ignite people, more than doing high damage. It would make it more of a crowd-control / defensive turret than a mortal quick burst cannon?

What if there was a synergy between the ability 1 cast on the ability 3, the Dispensary extending the duration of the Grenade Fan effects as long as they are close to it? (similar to the buff of the reservoir of Wisp being infinite as long as you stand nearby)?
Edit: somehow, there could be a synergy with the Blaze Artillery too, based on its proximity with the Dispensary? Dunno...

Edited by Yaerion

Looks like nice changes.

More damage for shrapnel was needed, may be useful now as a damage layer with the double damage. 

The extra second and damage per hit increase on turret will put it in a good spot where it can compete with other damaging abilities. 3 active turrets already wipes out mixed 8 man groups of corrupted heavy gunners and corrupted bombards at level 150 with a balanced spec (around 250 duration and 155 strength) without them being able to do much in return. And we never face that density of heavy units in the game really, so when weaker trash is involved there will be more uptime versus the heavy targets as the trash dies.

People that complain that the duration buffs are too small really need to consider their modding. These 3 extra seconds to the grenade and the 1 second to her turret will do alot if you are already modding her correctly. You are suddenly looking at over 30 second grenade duration and with the doubled damage along with the 1 extra baseline second you're probably somewhere up in the x20-22 damage amplification range on the last few shots from her turrets.

• Like 2

Instead of giving blaze artillery 1 whole extra second of duration, why not remove the duration and have it be entirely ammo based. All shots fired=it breaks and goes away. The way it works currently many of the shots are wasted when the duration runs out.

Also her temporal anchor is a neat idea but in terms of gameplay other than one of the few stand around and wait gamemodes its counterproductive to rewind yourself backwards

Edited by ZanderWild
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, rachjumper said:

sounds like a developer problem
I'd rather have a useful functional ability then something clunky that doesn't fit her kit

1 - a grenade gadget
2 - a turret gadget
3 -  a dispenser gadget
4 - ...time rewind?

you can easily keep the function of the ultimate (allowing for spamming abilities and ammo and S#&$ with a full refund when it expires) without making something dumb like this
feels like they made the quest before the frame and just decided to theme her ult around the quest, even if it doesn't make any sense for the rest of her kit

make her ult some sort of overcharge gadget that gives her bottomless mags and no energy cost on abilities
if you die during it, it shuts off and gives you a couple seconds of invincibility

functionally identical but isn't tied to some dumb time shenanigans and isn't restricted by the "sound recording tech" or whatever
also wouldn't warp you back to where you were before which is really annoying in non endless missions, getting put back 5 tiles just to use her full kit properly

Well, it would only be a developer problem if the man who designed the Frame deems it one enough to change his design on it. Regardless of what people think Protea should be, its his Frame and he can design her how it wants to. Regardless they are listening to constructive feedback in the appropriate channels, and well if yours doesn't get chosen don't cry over the milk that was never spilled. Or was it?

Increasing grenade's fan damage won't be useful : we already have the turret for that task, and it's already getting quite a big buff if I understand well. How about further increasing its potency as a CC ability instead ? You guys already increased the base radius from 4 to 5m which is good, but how about adding a suction effect to the ability as well, so you can use it to align targets and better prepare a good turret attack ?

Also please remove the jump from the ability, it makes it awkward to aim.

Hmm. I think these changes are somewhat mixed. A few seem lacking, while others seem like good additions.

What I would like to see:

Grenade Fan:

-Speed up cast time somewhat on the ground by making the jump trigger in midair only.

-Instead of flat 3 seconds, 2 to 2.5 seconds per level might be a nice change. While you can get quite a lot of duration already, I would like to not feel locked into Narrow Minded at high ranks.

-Instead of doubling damage, either Vauban-style scaling COULD be an option, or - my preference - make it pull in enemies toward the center with the original damage value, to make it better CC rather than becoming slightly better flat damage.

-Range needs to be tested in the field, but if it isn't enough another meter may suffice.

-The "pickup ring" on shield grenades could leave a subtle effect to indicate its radius even after the initial flash.

-Shield grenades should ideally give Protea and her companion a copy by default - even keeping the grenade count at 3 would be sufficient if Protea and her pet were shielded independently, and it would allow for some neat tactical defense involving midair casting.

Blaze Artillery:

-Add a light cone to indicate its firing arc physically - subtle enough to not be overwhelming visually, but obvious enough to make targeting easy to understand.

-Give it a little more idle time before despawning when no enemies are around, 10-15 seconds, so it can truly be used as a sentry.

-The damage change tentatively sounds fine - scaling might be a little too potent with the ramping mechanic, and I'd guess would be tricky to balance. We'll have to see how the changes overall pan out across levels.

Dispensary:

-I understand that dispenser count presents serious issues in terms of "nuke camping" with Energizes, but having more, slightly weaker dispensers would be preferable for tactical versatility in my opinion. Maybe make it 2 or 3 dispensers, but adjust overall dispense rate to keep the number of energy orbs basically the same over time? Health could always be adjusted as well if that becomes too potent. Ammo seems fine, not being a meta-changing dispense in most cases.

Temporal Anchor:

-Invincibility really seems like it belongs to the moment you die in it more than the moment you cast - the biggest issue with survivability is that you often get kicked back to your starting point, knocked down at 2% HP, and immediately die to gunfire. Maybe add some i-frames and/or remove the knockdown and health penalty on death? Possibly make it take 1.5x the energy cost instead, without impeding your ability to get to safety.

-The cancel should add something rather than just consuming 100 energy for nothing. Maybe it should detonate immediately without refunding your resources; that would make sense and give it some utility without killing the point of rewinding.

-Blast feels like a really weak damage type. Adaptive might be too powerful though. Maybe something like Radiation to make it more generally useful?

Edited by FelisImpurrator
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

No enemy level scaling damage multiplier on her 1 and 2? I am disappointed. Doubling the damage on her 1 and increased the ramp up on her 2 won’t be enough. Those abilities will be out scaled after a certain level point.

What point? Level 200? 300? Endurance isn't the focus of balance in this game. I would say, perhaps consider getting over it. It might be nice on her 1, but it's hardly necessary.

20 minutes ago, SkyDragon7 said:

kuva bramma - HUGE nerf, not gradual at all. RIP rivens

protea- insytiny buff, very very very gradual

It's still good and the only real practical change is that it needs ammo mutation in the exilus (which is free 5% crit anyway), lmao. And who cares about the poor riven sharks losing a bit out of their five digits of plat, hah.

Better to have gradual buffs than turning her into Saryn or Octavia overnight, lul.

• Like 2