Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Where's the comedy?

MokutoBunshi

Has anyone noticed that a lot of the puns in: Cephalon Joke-a-Thon Contest aren't funny? Not even punny? I came for at least ONE, good laugh but they are all so bad. 😐 (and severely misspelled, likely due to using phones? ESL perhaps??) A ton are just stolen, in game or from a popular warframe video. whats wrong with this community? Why are we not funny? Are only the content creators funny maybe? 

I haven't had the mental strength to finish reading them, hopefully we get some funny finalists at least. I am sorry for who ever at DE has to sort through that thread.

Edited by MokutoBunshi
  • Like 12

hace 7 minutos, MokutoBunshi dijo:

Has anyone noticed that a lot of the puns in: Cephalon Joke-a-Thon Contest aren't funny? Not even punny? I came for at least ONE, good laugh but they are all so bad. 😐 (and severely misspelled, likely due to using phones? ESL perhaps??) A ton are just stolen, in game or from a popular warframe video. whats wrong with this community? Why are we not funny? Are only the content creators funny maybe? 

I haven't had the mental strength to finish reading them, hopefully we get some funny finalists at least. I am sorry for who ever at DE has to sort through that thread.

Ordis should give you a hug :c

Taking OP at face value, most people are trying to write in-character for Ordis. And a lot of players don't find Ordis to be that amusing, most simply resorting to muting him. I enjoy Ordis and I've never once thought of wanting to mute him but in a way, them not being the most high quality is kinda in theme with Ordis as a character. If anything, the hit and miss style fits.

• Like 9

Ordinary people aren't comedians, but a lot of them want to be a part of contests anyway - so yeah, there will be a lot of unfunny "jokes". People who take this super seriously are probably thinking about their joke more, so they'll post them later.

Also, if others can't do it right... Do better 😛

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zahnny said:

Taking OP at face value, most people are trying to write in-character for Ordis. And a lot of players don't find Ordis to be that amusing, most simply resorting to muting him. I enjoy Ordis and I've never once thought of wanting to mute him but in a way, them not being the most high quality is kinda in theme with Ordis as a character. If anything, the hit and miss style fits.

To be clear "ordis has been counting stars, all accounted for" I think is a funny pun. It even implies something about ordis. The ones in the thread are, to me not that funny, and thats the ones that aren't just stolen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Viveeeh said:

Ordinary people aren't comedians, but a lot of them want to be a part of contests anyway - so yeah, there will be a lot of unfunny "jokes". People who take this super seriously are probably thinking about their joke more, so they'll post them later.

Also, if others can't do it right... Do better 😛

That's the thing, im not funny, I enjoy jokes. I am just weirded out. For example, people in region chat are HILARIOUS to me. Also, red text is extremely punny. I just see an odd disconnect between those and this.

Traditional jokes are largely about delivery. The timing, the vocal tone - those can't be delivered with the written word, at least not without some real-time element. This is likely one of the reasons why memes are so absurdist - exploring alternate avenues of humour that don't rely on timing or voice as much.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MokutoBunshi said:

I am sorry for who ever at DE has to sort through that thread.

This. Imagine having the mental strenght of the community managers too, I'm always surprised about the S#&$ I read from the community sometimes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

This. Imagine having the mental strenght of the community managers too, I'm always surprised about the S#&$ I read from the community sometimes.

One of my first jobs was customer service and my boss was a refined older woman who taught me many valuable coping skills.

giphy.gif

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, hippokrene said:

One of my first jobs was customer service and my boss was a refined older woman who taught me many valuable coping skills.

giphy.gif

Now I understand everything, even the existence of Dog Days lore.

Humour is something that should usually come naturally, when you pressure people into doing it for a contest, ofc. it will not be always as funny, unless they spend a lot of time and effort to come up with something witty and funny.

I'm not always funny either, that happens.

It also takes a relaxed state of mind and some inspiration, imo. if someone truly wants to make it funny, they would have to dig through the game for possible references which is a lot of work.

• Like 1

Comedy is subjective.  I don't like most comedy movies that the masses do and it's a pain for me to watch stand up no matter who it is.  I laugh at things that most people don't or isn't "supposed" to be funny.  I find South Park and Bobs Burgers hilarious at the same time.

Okay, I went through the first page of that thread. And I have to say, some of those jokes are really good and I can see (hear?) them in-game! Fact is, written down like that, Ordis' old and much beloved lines wouldn't sound that good. You need to imagine how his voice actor would perform the jokes.

• Like 1

Honestly, whoever suggested this idea probably isn't the poor sap who has to read that crap.

The first page alone is just bad. It's not like dad jokes where you groan but you can't help but smile, it's just plain not funny; "lol Ordis says toilet" or just long strings of rubbish with no real humour in it at all.

This was not a good idea for a contest.

• Like 1

Cephalons are not funny, because they misplaced their humor memory. If you evaluate their humor profile, you will get an error because that's not a number. Mostly they are just visualizing bloody battles, because that's what I do too.

Edited by Marvelous_A

It's definitely a slog to go through most of the entries for this contest, and here's my take on why.

To begin with, the premise for the contest seems misaligned. Ordis is meant to be a likeable existence in Warframe, but not for being razor-witted, or even particularly funny. The entries for this contest that are readable tend to be of similar quality to those Ordis already makes: poor. As such, they suit Ordis, but are poor jokes; If better jokes were to win the contest, would they fit Ordis's character?

As for the entries themselves, quality for this contest is diluted due to the low barrier for entry. I expect there are a similar number of witty individuals and artists in this world; however, while people are quick to declare that they can't draw, almost everyone believes they can tell a joke.

There is also the matter of incentive; plat for a joke seems like easy plat, provoking more entries than effort. Strangely, reduced incentive might increase quality here, despite decreasing entries numbers.

Nonetheless, i am hopeful that something good will still come from this contest; It would still please me greatly if Corrupted Vor's spiel "was cut in half" by Ordis's interjection of a witty one-liner.

• Like 2

There are many reasons why the jokes are bad.

1) Being funny is hard. People often think that being silly or offensive is funny, but jokes where the punchline is just that it’s random or dark are only funny to people who are already on board with that kind of humor. And even then they get grating incredibly quickly. And while I know that any joke will  get old after a while, I can still recognize that most of what Ordis says is funny which is more than I can say for the ‘lol randum 😜’ humor everyone likes when they are 12. Ordis saying a potty word might an amusing idea, but it would not translate well into a real joke. The problem is it’s a lot easier to make no sense or be mean than it is to think of something clever or witty or even a pun so the submissions are flooded with very low-effort posts that won’t translate well in-game and are pretty out of character for Ordis, which brings me to:

2) Writing in-character is hard. There are lots of funny things that Ordis can say, but most things he wouldn’t say. Backstory aside, Ordis is basically a robot and practically everything he says is a reflection of this, from literally counting every star in the sky to not understanding the human condition. Ordis making a wisecrack at how the orbiter has no bathroom could make a decent joke if it was phrased right or mentioned in passing, but if he just straight up asked you where the bathroom was that would be very out of character.

3) Most of the funny stuff that Ordis says isn’t Ordis actually trying to tell a joke. In fact I think outside of puns he only has that one joke calling Grineer dumb, and imo that is his worst line.

So good jokes have to be well thought out, in character and not actually jokes, so yeah it’s pretty hard to write them.

• Like 2

Humor is the hardest type of writing and probably the most difficult form of content creation. 

Most people aren't good at it even with a lot of practice. Even those who tend to be spontaneously "funny" are not nearly as good at it when asked to sit down and just write jokes. Or they will just throw a stream of generic dad jokes at you or something. This is partly because much of comedy is about delivery. 

And also making people laugh is seriously way harder than anyone realizes, outside of the right rapport with people who know you well. 

• Like 1