The Deadlock Protocol: Color Blind Compensation Megathread (28.0.6)

Hey Tenno!

You may have noticed in the last update, we added a new feature to assist Color Blind Tenno by altering the focus on colors in specific ways.

Under the Display Options tab, you’ll find a ‘Color Blind Compensation’ option that modifies game and interface colors to increase visibility for common forms of color blindness.

This setting will allow you to pick between the following options:

• Protanopia: A setting for people with Protanopia, who have a reduced sensitivity to red lights.
  • Deuteranopia: A setting for people with Deuteranopia, who have a reduced sensitivity to green lights.
  • Tritanopia: A setting for people with Tritanopia, who have a reduced sensitivity to blue lights.

If you have feedback to leave on the subject of the new Color Blind Compensation setting, then please do so in this thread. Please remember that you should keep your feedback constructive and civil. If you like an aspect of the new setting, tell us what you like. If you do not like an aspect, then tell us why, and what you would change to make it better!

Please bear in mind this is not a place to leave bugs you discover while playing. If you do need to report a bug, please use The Deadlock Protocol: Bug Report Megathread

Thank you!

• Like 11

Woo! Thank you for these features that are astoundingly rare.

I know, however, that many games that do feature them, unfortunately do not implement them in a useful way.  So I'll be sure to check them out and give feedback!

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Could you do anything for us older gamers who have trouble with lower light tilesets? The alpha slider often just washes everything out. When I did Chains of Harrow, I was tearing my hair out. It's extremely considerate of you to take an issue like color blindness under consideration. 

• Like 6

I have a clanmate that has tritanomaly, which is a form of something known as anomalous trichromacy.

Basically, where protanopia, deuteranopia, and tritanopia are dichromacy, protanomaly, deuetranomaly, and tritanomaly are a case of anomalous trichromacy, or to put it in layman's terms, a component within the eye is malfunctioning, where as in dichromacy, you are missing a component that would allow for full color vision.

I'm pretty sure another clanmate of mine also has a form of anomalous trichromacy but still need to get them to do a test, so I'd be happy if you could add support for this as well, because it's probably more common than you think.

Thanks for adding support for those with dichromatic vision, although we'll have to see if it works out well. Cheers o7

Edited by Krylia_Viru
  • Like 3

Sadly these settings are useless to my color blindness/weakness. I have a partial color blindness similiar to Anomalous Trichromacy leaning in the protanomaly area. Which just means that changing to the full basic color blind settings which have been added does close to nothing for me. Instead of using prefabricated filters please add the option to pick colors for health bars, enemy markes, objective markers, exit markers, etc myself. I am never happy with the prefabricated ones. E.g. if I could change all the colors how I wanted to I would change all health bars and enemie markers to green or blue. 

• Like 8

I have Deuteranomaly and while i find the Deuteranopia setting useful, i do find the color correction too powerful. A slider for the individual Trito/Proto/Deutoronopia strengths would help this.

• Like 2

As a person with protanopia I can say that picking the relevant option makes the game way worse. Changing all the distinct reds into pinkish-greys kiiiiind of helps in making them stick out from the background on darker tilesets (in moments with a lot of clutter normal red icons for thralls, disruption consoles etc. tend to be less visible, as they seem way darker than other icons), but makes it way harder to see properly in any other context. For example, corpus hp+shield bars now seem almost homogenous - and I can guarantee that before using that option in Warframe, I have never had a problem with distinguishing red from blue.

It seems the criticism I've read of how Doom implemented its colour-blindness modes is also appropriate here:
"The filter is making the image appear as if you’re colorblind instead of altering problem colors to make it easier to see for those who have colorblindness."

• Like 2
3 минуты назад, IBunshii сказал:

Hello, so after the update my game is all dark-ish and the effects are almost invisible.

+ i have this problem

As someone with Red/Green colourblindness, I find it hard to see the colours when I flicker through the settings as they wash out all of the colours into something more confusing, instead of making the shade difference more recognisable. So now my greens become yellows, and my reds become pinks 😞 I was excited for these settings as well and love that they have been implemented. Just think they need some tweaking.

• Like 1

I have protanomaly (I see red just not as "bright") and I don't find these particularly useful. The issues I have are mostly around red minimap markers, debuff icons, and health bars being harder to see on dark backgrounds like in Grineer tilesets. Figuring out which focus nodes are activated is also pretty much impossible without clicking on them to see if they become slightly darker or brighter.

Protanopia mode makes red very washed out which helps a bit in the sense that it's a brighter color but it decreases the overall contrast and just makes everything else look worse.
I can get similar legibility by going into my GPU options and tweaking the color curve to make the upper end of reds brighter without affecting other colors.

Another issue is that protanopia mode makes blue icons like buffs, abilities, and friendly units on the minimap very dull and harder to see than before.

Somewhat surprisingly I find the deuteranopia mode more legible because instead of getting rid of red it shifts it towards purple but again at the expense of ruining the rest of the image.

In my opinion particular there is no reason to apply the filter to anything other than the UI. The only thing I can think of that is color coded are ammo pickups but those also have unique shapes.

Focusing on just the UI would also mean that you can manually pick contrasting colors for each mode instead of relying on filters.

Since writing the above I realized that among things I had some issues with there's also ore mining nodes and the difference between scanned and unscanned enemies.

Edited by averysmallbanana
  • Like 1

For those here who are asking for full UI element config it does sound like that is being worked on. (tweet from Steve about it in spoiler, to not take up excess space)

Spoiler

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, HunterP13 said:

As someone with Red/Green colourblindness, I find it hard to see the colours when I flicker through the settings as they wash out all of the colours into something more confusing, instead of making the shade difference more recognisable. So now my greens become yellows, and my reds become pinks 😞 I was excited for these settings as well and love that they have been implemented. Just think they need some tweaking.

I have exactly the same problem. I am ecstatic that we got this feature, but none of the options help me.
Also I think that the reason for that is that I actually don't have Protanopia, but Protanomaly.

Also a BIG request.

The only part of the game when I am actually hindered by my colorblindness are the color pallets. 

If we could get something like:
adV4wlt.png

All my colorblind problems in Warframe would be solved.

• Like 3

Will there be any potential option for people with the opposite problem, eg. Increased sensitivity to light and/or specific spectrum. I personally have photophobia due to head trauma that makes certain tile-sets or encounters troublesome, such as the super-dark kuva fortress due to having monitors at half brightness, or any plains of eidolon Eidolon fights due to severe contrasts.

Graphics bug I encountered after restarting the game:

Fullscreen 1920x1080

Alt-tabbing causes a few graphical bugs.

As far as I can tell, Eximus effects like Arsons with their flame circle are not visible. Energy orbs are black and have no texture. The Pyra Syandana's flames are barely visible.

ex3EiTw.jpg

The star chart looks weird and Jupiter is blacked out.

zCeA5CU.jpg

A temporary solution I found was to change the value of the Effects Intensity and the issue is remedied but alt-tabbing instantly reproduces the bugs.

Il y a 6 heures, IBunshii a dit :

Hello, so after the update my game is all dark-ish and the effects are almost invisible.

yeah i have this issue too; it's awesome to have colour blind options; but this update has borked the base game's setting! 

7 hours ago, IBunshii said:

I'm having this issue as well everything is so dark now. I can't even see ephemeras on my warframes. Thanks for the color blind options DE but please look into the matter.

9 hours ago, IBunshii said:

Having this issue, but biggest concern is that vomvalyst become almost completely invisible after downing their first health bar. Fortunately you can still overkill them so hard that they keep their skin on, but that doesn't always happen and then you still have an invisible bugger to kill.

Edited by TenDen
11 hours ago, IBunshii said:

The inside of the orbiter looks misty and the starchart is much darker than it used to be

• Like 3

Hi, my friend is currently experiencing host not found error, and is unable to invite or join sessions despite it working fine yesterday, the issue only happened after the update.

17 hours ago, Rebikas_ said:

Sadly these settings are useless to my color blindness/weakness. I have a partial color blindness similiar to Anomalous Trichromacy leaning in the protanomaly area. Which just means that changing to the full basic color blind settings which have been added does close to nothing for me. Instead of using prefabricated filters please add the option to pick colors for health bars, enemy markes, objective markers, exit markers, etc myself. I am never happy with the prefabricated ones. E.g. if I could change all the colors how I wanted to I would change all health bars and enemie markers to green or blue. 

This will always be best!!! And it's becoming more common in the industry.

17 hours ago, Vaygur said:

As a person with protanopia I can say that picking the relevant option makes the game way worse. Changing all the distinct reds into pinkish-greys kiiiiind of helps in making them stick out from the background on darker tilesets (in moments with a lot of clutter normal red icons for thralls, disruption consoles etc. tend to be less visible, as they seem way darker than other icons), but makes it way harder to see properly in any other context. For example, corpus hp+shield bars now seem almost homogenous - and I can guarantee that before using that option in Warframe, I have never had a problem with distinguishing red from blue.

It seems the criticism I've read of how Doom implemented its colour-blindness modes is also appropriate here:
"The filter is making the image appear as if you’re colorblind instead of altering problem colors to make it easier to see for those who have colorblindness."

This is my reaction as well after testing the Red-sensitive filter.   Changing it to greyish pink helps in terms of contrast (it's lighter than dark environments and it's darker than white text, etc).   My initial impression is that it is a net positive in terms of functionality, but seems like much more could be done.

But as someone who is red/green colorblind (like the majority of folks who are colorblind at all to my understanding) the settings are out of the gate forcing me to compensate for one or the other.  That's weird.

16 hours ago, bluejello said:

For those here who are asking for full UI element config it does sound like that is being worked on. (tweet from Steve about it in spoiler, to not take up excess space)

Hide contents

AWESOME!