Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe on Switch using non-Switch controllers?

(XBOX)BokBokBokaawk

Question

Is anyone successfully using an Xbox or PS4 controller on Switch via a hardware adaptor (N100 plus? Magic-S Pro? 8bitdo? )? Is so which adaptor are you using?

I've tried a CronusZen and the controllers work in the Switch menu but once Warframe has started the non-Switch controller no longer works. (They don't work in Animal Crossing either, but do work in Warface so the hardware does appear to work but not in all games..)

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Hi OP, I don't play Warframe regularly on my Switch, when I do play Switch games I only ever use a Playstation 4 controller. I use the 8bitdo dongle that looks like a Mario Brick.  It was a little unclear how to set it up at first, but I found a YouTube video that perfectly walked me through every step I needed to go through and it's worked perfectly ever since, even if I take it out and plug it back in.  The only downside is that while a normal Switch controller can turn on the Switch from your couch, your PS4 controller won't be able to do that part; the Switch will need to already be on.  Here's a link to the product on Amazon (hopefully it's okay to link this?) https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Adapter-Nintendo-Switch-Raspberry/dp/B0786JC6VW/ref=sr_1_2?m=A2UWVAXOHJ0A2X&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I did try Warframe on the Switch for awhile, and from everything I played the Playstation 4 controller seemed to be fully-functional for it.  However, because I was used to playing my actual main Warframe account on the Playstation 4, I couldn't get into it.  Specifically, the analog stick programming in the Switch version seems to be different than the PS4 version.  I believe this is to account for the fact that the Joycon analog sticks and PS4 analog sticks simply have different diameters, deadzones, and perhaps even angles that the stick goes to.  Because of this, the same analog stick input for the PS4 controller will give different results depending on whether it is hooked up to the Switch version or the PS4 version of the game.  Because of that, it just felt weird to play it on Switch.  But if you aren't already used to playing on PS4, etc, you probably won't even notice.

One possible solution to this would be to change your controller settings in Warframe, but be warned that then when you went into hand-held mode you would have the opposite problem, because you would be using settings that worked well with PS4 analog sticks with Joycon analog sticks.  However, as I said, I believe this is an issue with the programming of Warframe, not the dongle (though I could be wrong) so I would guess that this issue would exist with any controller that isn't specifically made for the Switch.

Hope this helps!

The only third party controller I have found that works with the Switch is the Power A brand. I especially like the version with the programmable buttons on the paddles. Really feels great to bullet jump through a level without ever taking your thumbs off the sticks. It opens up a whole new world that feels almost as good as a keyboard and mouse.