PSA: Brightness Changes in Hotfix 28.0.6

Hey Tenno,

With this last update, we wanted to explain a change that was made in more detail:

We have retired some older (2008) 8-Bit rendering technology with this latest Hotfix, mostly because it provided little in regards to performance increases, but added a lot of detriment. This means that using Autoexposure and HDR settings are the way forward from now on.

This means that some of you using the old technology may have lowered your brightness settings to compensate for the light, and so the game seems abnormally dark. If you are seeing this issue, please go to your Display settings and reset your brightness to match the new setup.

Apologies for the confusion this may have caused!

• Like 42

Mine was never too bright and I have been using the default settings for ages. Not only is there some odd dimming but even if I turn it up it's still dark. This isn't a good change.

Edit: I've included a picture with the default settings i've been using.

Default Settings

Edit 2: This is with 50 Brightness and 50 Contrast. Upping them causes some pretty bad washing out of colors and such. While in missions it's not too bad in the orbiter is MUCH more obvious.

Edited by VegaCP
  • Like 19

The HDR option was still useful to be disabled for eidolon hunts because it kept a consistent brightness level instead of drowning screen in darkness because of some "bright" effect happening.

Were extreme darkness exposure cases like these fixed?

Edited by HunterDigi
  • Like 12

Ok. found a semi fix for my issue.

But still standard is way darker than some people might want it lol

I put mine now on a mix of brightness and contrast of 75 - 70

• Like 1

I usually play with graphics on "Low" and 95% Brightness. After the hotfix, even if I put brightness on 100% all the light sources looks dark.

For example, Zenurik's dash bubble is almost impossible to see (even if I use White energy color).

From my experience, I believe something involving the "Glare" option broke after the hotfix, in the past I noticed that if I had the graphic settings on "Low" and disabled Glare I would have a very similar problem like the one people are having today. For me, enabling Glare is what made effects like Zenurik's Dash  visible.

57 minutes ago, [DE]Bear said:

We have retired some older (2008) 8-Bit rendering technology with this latest Hotfix, mostly because it provided little in regards to performance increases, but added a lot of detriment. This means that using Autoexposure and HDR settings are the way forward from now on.

Now I'm afraid we might have a problem here if you guys make HDR mandatory in order to play warframe.

According to the tooltip on Display Settings, in order to turn on HDR you must enable Anti-Aliasing 8x (High) and disable Dynamic Resolution, both of these requirements are a nightmare for people on low end PCs.

Please let the Glare option "work" properly without requiring us to enable HDR.

Edited by Victorhs
  • Like 18

from my understanding, space mom is telling you to open the curtains and start viewing the world as its suppose to be.

Tired Wake Up GIF by good-morning

Edited by Diabolist
  • Like 26

Ok so I messed around with brightness/contrast for about 20 minutes now and it's still bad. The settings you have don't really matter because the game decides with auto-exposure what brightness things should be.

When I make the orbiter look OK, the star chart is too dark and the meus too bright. When the meus look OK, everything else is too dark, etc.

There are also plenty of spots where the auto-exposure is bad, even just in the orbiter! Standing right in the middle spot between orbiter and liset at the bottom of the ramp and looking into the orbiter makes everything look extremely blown out (here everything also looks normal with the old settings instead of too dark). Similar thing when standing in front of the personal quarters. Looking down the ramp towards the helminth infirmary from the left of the arsenal makes the corridor almost look black!

When the Vallis looks balanced, Fortuna looks extremely whitewashed with no contrast. I haven't tested other tiles yet but I imagine similar discrepancies. If the auto-exposure of this game was good there would be no problems, but simply changing this without a pass on ALL the exposure levels across the entire game just leaves players like me in pain.

I don't know how easy or even feasible this may be, but maybe allow a "legacy" option for this change so people can go back to the way it used to be?

• Like 18

I don't like Autoexposure being required now. A lot of us don't want the brightness to be constantly fluctuating and find it distracting. Plus, a lot of times it either makes the game too dark or too bright. This used to be an optional feature so it's disappointing that now it's forced on us. I immediately noticed how much darker my orbiter and my star chart were with this option forced on and I wish we could turn it off still.

Edit: Here's a comparison of how dark my star chart is now, even on the default brightness setting:

Before: https://i.imgur.com/e9cnePv.jpg

After: https://i.imgur.com/Ue7WnCb.jpg

Edited by Fireshock
  • Like 35

For folks out there : DO NOT USE HDR IF YOU DON’T HAVE A HDR READY MONITOR. Using HDR without it will not change anything and it reduces performance with no gain in visuals.

• Like 12

I can deal with the too-dark or too-bright aspects of this change if I have to. The way brightness slowly ramps up and down as conditions change (mimicking an effect the brain already does automatically) is very unpleasant for me.

• Like 19

Going to be blunt... I honestly have no idea who thought this change was a good idea, it's just too dark in general, it's almost like the person who decided on baseline is working on a screen with the brightness set too high.   I'm going to assume, seeing as I am set to high in most cases that I wouldn't have been affected by said 8bit techniques.

I already felt some parts of the game were too dark and needed to brighten up the settings (and no it isn't my screen it's accurately calibrated by a spyder pro for my work) and now it's even worse... hell there's some locations that are so dark, even with the (useless) torch, that it feels like I'm feeling my way around, they're even worse now.

Now you're saying to use HDR, well ok... my only option is the experimental thing at the bottom which even states it won't work without an hdr monitor...

I'd also love to know where autoexposure is because I sure can't find it anywhere in my settings...

• Like 26
8 minutes ago, KisucoPrime said:

The problem for me is that all particles are gone, maybe that's the issue.

You might be having the same issue I posted about earlier where all effects in the game are faded as if an opacity slider for them has been set low.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

Going to be blunt... I honestly have no idea who thought this change was a good idea, it's just too dark in general, it's almost like the person who decided on baseline is working on a screen with the brightness set too high.   I'm going to assume, seeing as I am set to high in most cases that I wouldn't have been affected by said 8bit techniques.

I already felt some parts of the game were too dark and needed to brighten up the settings (and no it isn't my screen it's accurately calibrated by a spyder pro for my work) and now it's even worse... hell there's some locations that are so dark, even with the (useless) torch, that it feels like I'm feeling my way around, they're even worse now.

Now you're saying to use HDR, well ok... my only option is the experimental thing at the bottom which even states it won't work without an hdr monitor...

I'd also love to know where autoexposure is because I sure can't find it anywhere in my settings...

They removed the option to enable and disable adaptive brightness with this update, me thinks

• Like 6

I don't mind the brightness, Why is the Energy color of my Wukong and syandana, and also the emblems barely visible

I barely see the Hints on the SImaris Target Q.Q

Edited: Turn ur Effects Intensify to MAX 

Edited by Jinxmi
  • Like 5
5 minutes ago, Ethice said:

They removed the option to enable and disable adaptive brightness with this update, me thinks

Well that makes the advice from Bear pretty useless then doesn't it... unless it's incredibly poorly explained/worded and they actually mean it's now 'standard' features and are on automatically.

Edited by LSG501
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Fireshock said:

I don't like Autoexposure being required now. A lot of us don't want the brightness to be constantly fluctuating and find it distracting. Plus, a lot of times it either makes the game too dark or too bright. This used to be an optional feature so it's disappointing that now it's forced on us. I immediately noticed how much darker my orbiter and my star chart were with this option forced on and I wish we could turn it off still.

Edit: Here's a comparison of how dark my star chart is now, even on the default brightness setting:

Before: https://i.imgur.com/e9cnePv.jpg

After: https://i.imgur.com/Ue7WnCb.jpg

That Darkness is my typical, but now Ive got a WAYYYYYYYYYYY darker one

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Jinxmi said:

I don't mind the brightness, Why is the Energy color of my Wukong and syandana, and also the emblems barely visible

I barely see the Hints on the SImaris Target Q.Q

It's because a change in this patch caused -all- effects; Warframe powers, Operator abilities, effects on enemies like the Simarus target outline to become incredibly faded. It's like all of those effects are set to 25% opacity or something 😕

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, Ethice said:

You might be having the same issue I posted about earlier where all effects in the game are faded as if an opacity slider for them has been set low.

Apparently turning effects intensity to 200 and turning color correction on kinda works for me, but before the update i had effects intensity set to 10 and everything was fine.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, KisucoPrime said:

Apparently turning effects intensity to 200 and turning color correction on kinda works for me, but before the update i had effects intensity set to 10 and everything was fine.

Yes, but the effects look kinda faded still.

• Like 2

Was this decision made by the Art Director with no prior playtesting done? I will admit that in the few places that I have played in *look* good from a cinematic point of view, I can't see anything in more than half of the places I've been. Star chart is now grossly underlit, and the node connections in the void are completely invisible now.

I'll agree that whatever adaptive brightness changes might make the game look better when done properly, but there's something funky with the algorithm that seems to have things backwards. Dark scenes should be adjusted up, bright scenes should be adjusted down. It's how human eyeballs work, after all.

Edit: Found that a 75/30 Brightness/contrast gives a usable, but very washed out, experience in both the orbiter, star chart, Fortuna, and Orb Vallis. Probably going to just be my new normal until things get a polish two years later.

Edited by Cyberius_001
  • Like 16